ZR1 = 638 hp and 604 lb-ft

Started by SVT666, April 25, 2008, 01:32:33 PM

SVT666

Chevrolet releases official Corvette ZR1 performance numbers, including top speed
April 25

Chevrolet introduced us to its ZR1 super Corvette last January at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, but didn't have any concrete performance numbers at the time. We were promised at least 100 horsepower per liter ? meaning a minimum of 620 horsepower ? but were left to guess just how far over that magic equation the LS9 would be. But the hyper 'Vette is back from testing and we now have a definitive answer.

According to the Corvette ZR1's SAE Certification, the 6.2L supercharged LS9 motor pumps out 638 horsepower and 604 lb-ft of torque ? proving Chevrolet officials were sandbagging back in January.

In addition to the LS9's power ratings, GM also revealed that engineers have taken the Corvette ZR1 to 205 mph on a test track in Germany ? putting the ZR1 is an elite class of supercars.

The ZR1's fuel economy ratings aren't in yet, but GM assures us that range-topping Corvette will be the most fuel efficient 600+ horsepower car in the world ? a rather strange distinction.

With nearly 640 horsepower on tap and a 205 mph top speed, we can't wait to see the ZR1 go head-to-head with some of the world's best.

Champ

GTR does 243mph, with a combined EPA of 44mpg.

280Z Turbo

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'm playing the Mega Million tonight!!  :evildude:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

I would have expected a bit more than 205 mph with that much power on tap.  Doesn't the Z06 muster like 198 with "only" 505?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on April 25, 2008, 02:56:36 PM
I would have expected a bit more than 205 mph with that much power on tap.  Doesn't the Z06 muster like 198 with "only" 505?

Downforce issues?  You think they pegged it back?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on April 25, 2008, 03:01:46 PM
Downforce issues?  You think they pegged it back?

I assumed the two would have essentially the same aerodynamics, in which case I would have expected 210+ mph.  If the ZR is putting down more downforce, that would certainly eat into it's top speed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on April 25, 2008, 03:10:15 PM
I assumed the two would have essentially the same aerodynamics, in which case I would have expected 210+ mph.  If the ZR is putting down more downforce, that would certainly eat into it's top speed.

GT-R generates 5 tons of downforce w/a .19 drag coefficient

No but seriously though I don't have an answer for your query.

sandertheshark

I get giggle fits looking at those numbers on the ZR1.  I can't help it.

TBR

That must mean it sucks extra-hard, wouldn't it be so much more awesome with 200hp? (I am being sarcastic, I am tired of hearing people, and magazines, say the ZR1 would be better with less power before ANYBODY has even driven it)

Soup DeVille

I think we need to officially change the name of "The Fast Lane" to "The GT-R/Vette forum with occasional dabs of retro pony car talk thrown in."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2008, 05:21:19 PM
I think we need to officially change the name of "The Fast Lane" to "The GT-R/Vette forum with occasional dabs of retro pony car talk thrown in."

Better?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2008, 05:36:36 PM

Better?

All I'm saying is: there are other cars in existence worth discussing.

Oh, and welcome back!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sandertheshark

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2008, 05:40:18 PM

But not that are exactly news right now.

All I've got on my auto news pages are a bunch of tuner 911s and M3s and Ferraris, and a big pile of GTR/GT2/ZR1/SRT8 stuff.

the Teuton

Oh, and welcome back!

Danke.

Also, you're right.  There's other news going on in the world besides gas prices and Democratic candidates, yet that's all I ever hear about.  Why?  Because it's "hot off the presses."  Likewise, so are these two cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm struggling real hard to give a damn.

I never thought i'd say this but this car is overpowered, the Z06 could barely deal with 505HP.

It's time to move the vette into real supercar territory, put the damn motor where it belongs.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 25, 2008, 03:59:55 PM
GT-R generates 5 tons of downforce w/a .19 drag coefficient

No but seriously though I don't have an answer for your query.

Don't the F1 and S7 also generate a lot of downforce with low drag?

And I realize that doesn't have anything to do with anything either. :tounge:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

S204STi

sandertheshark

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 25, 2008, 07:04:18 PM

I never thought i'd say this but this car is overpowered, the Z06 could barely deal with 505HP.

It's time to move the vette into real supercar territory, put the damn motor where it belongs.

The Z06 is the twelfth fastest production car around the Nurburgring.  The ZR1 is, apparently, tied for eighth, with the mother-fuckin' Bugatti Veyron.  If that's not "real super car territory" I don't know what the fuck is.  Neither of these cars have any trouble handling their power as long as the driver knows what he's doing.

(That said, I dream of the day Chevy makes a mid-engine Vette, and calls it the Corvette XP.  Especially if they offer it with a 400+hp four-rotor engine.  And then make absolutely unholy motherfucker withe a twin-turbo LS7 producing exactly 880hp.)

TBR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 25, 2008, 07:04:18 PM

They need to talk to Porsche....

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 25, 2008, 08:43:04 PM
The Z06 is the twelfth fastest production car around the Nurburgring.  The ZR1 is, apparently, tied for eighth, with the mother-fuckin' Bugatti Veyron.  If that's not "real super car territory" I don't know what the fuck is.  Neither of these cars have any trouble handling their power as long as the driver knows what he's doing.

(That said, I dream of the day Chevy makes a mid-engine Vette, and calls it the Corvette XP.  Especially if they offer it with a 400+hp four-rotor engine.  And then make absolutely unholy motherfucker withe a twin-turbo LS7 producing exactly 880hp.)

It may offer super car performance, but it's not a supercar. No more than the GT-R is(even though, once again, it offers supercar performance).

The current corvette will forever be in the catagory of cars like the mustang, 350Z, GT-R, Porsche 911 etc.

It is not in the same catagory as such supercars from ferrari, lamborghini etc.

My point was simply that if they want to be there they have to evolve the corvette. personally i don't have a godlike view of the name corvette so i don't care if they make a new mid engined supercar above the corvette and name it something else. However GM seems to have the belief that nothing is higher than the vette(in name).

sandertheshark

So what you're saying is a Chevy will never be in the same league as a Ferrari.

Never mind the fact that the ZR1 can outrun anything Ferrari has ever made.

How exactly would rearranging the layout make Chevrolet Corvette a "Supercar"?

Acura NSX - Is that a supercar?  It was in 1991.  What about in 2005?  Did just having a mid-engine layout make it a supercar, or did the fact that it out-performed most anything on the road when it first came out?

Porsche Cayman S is mid-engined.  It has more power than an NSX.  It's about as fast as a base Vette.  And it's got a "supercar" marque.  Does that make it a supercar?

How about the Lotus Exige?

What I'm confused by, Caddy, is how exactly you define "supercar."  Because most people define it with a combination of pedigree and performance.  The Vette's got both.  Does the location of the engine really enter in to the equation?

Tave

The normal Vette isn't a supercar, but the Z06, and even moreso the ZR-1, are IMO.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 25, 2008, 09:03:48 PM
So what you're saying is a Chevy will never be in the same league as a Ferrari.

Never mind the fact that the ZR1 can outrun anything Ferrari has ever made.

How exactly would rearranging the layout make Chevrolet Corvette a "Supercar"?

Acura NSX - Is that a supercar?  It was in 1991.  What about in 2005?  Did just having a mid-engine layout make it a supercar, or did the fact that it out-performed most anything on the road when it first came out?

Porsche Cayman S is mid-engined.  It has more power than an NSX.  It's about as fast as a base Vette.  And it's got a "supercar" marque.  Does that make it a supercar?

How about the Lotus Exige?

What I'm confused by, Caddy, is how exactly you define "supercar."  Because most people define it with a combination of pedigree and performance.  The Vette's got both.  Does the location of the engine really enter in to the equation?

I guess the location doesn't matter, i guess for that matter the design doesn't matter either.

So i guess the corvette is a supercar, so is the GT-R, hell so is my EVO IX. All of these cars offer performance and pedigree.

Oh, and welcome back!

You should definitely start more topics on them then. This forum could use more traffic and topics of discussion of all kinds of fast cars.  I guess there are alot of Mustang, Vette, GTR threads because there are alot of fans of these cars.

FlatBlackCaddy

"So what you're saying is a Chevy will never be in the same league as a Ferrari."

You must not have read my post very well.

I never said they couldn't be, but in order to truely be in the same class they have to do what ford did with the Ford GT.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 25, 2008, 09:20:58 PM
"So what you're saying is a Chevy will never be in the same league as a Ferrari."

You must not have read my post very well.

I never said they couldn't be, but in order to truely be in the same class they have to do what ford did with the Ford GT.

The new Ford GT is an automotive footnote.  It was in production for all of two seconds.

the Teuton

This is getting into a semantics debate.  The E63 AMG is about as quick as most of the aforementioned cars.  It is a sedan.  The Evo is a sedan.  A 500 hp STI would still be a sedan, and it would still have its limitations.  A 7:35 'Ring time is most certainly a good qualifier for a supercar.  Need I bring up how far we've come from the first official 200 mph car, the Diablo, in 1990?

Quote from: the Teuton on April 25, 2008, 10:21:18 PM
This is getting into a semantics debate.  The E63 AMG is about as quick as most of the aforementioned cars.  It is a sedan.  The Evo is a sedan.  A 500 hp STI would still be a sedan, and it would still have its limitations.  A 7:35 'Ring time is most certainly a good qualifier for a supercar.  Need I bring up how far we've come from the first official 200 mph car, the Diablo, in 1990?

Supercar is a vague term and we can fight it out forever what is considered a supercar and what is not.  Basically we can all agree a Mclaren F1 is a supercar (or hypercar) and an EVO is not, and that stuff that falls in the middle will be quite a bit more wishy washy.  It purely becomes a matter of opinion.

One of my friends considered my Z06 a supercar (before the C6 Z06 was released), and it certainly ran with Modenas and 911 Turbos, but I wouldn't consider it a supercar in my wildest daydreams.

To me a supercar is not so much about performance, or about balance and communication, or even about pedigree.  It's all about a sense of wildness, a sense of casting caution into the wind during development, of not holding back and thinking sensibly.  For example, to me a very faulted Diablo is definitely a supercar, but the amazing 911 GT2 is not.  A Zonda is definitely a supercar but the ZR1 (which will probably be faster) is not.

Here is my supercars from "normal" manufactures list according to 565.

In my opinion Porsche has only made 3 true supercars in modern times.  The 959, the 911 GT1, and the Carrera GT.

In my opinion, BMW's closest thing to a modern supercar would be the M1, but I don't think they've put anything out recently that qualifies as a true supercar (Z8 definitely falls short).

Mercedes has had two supercars in modern times, the SLR, and the CLK-GTR road cars. None of the AMG monsters qualify.

In my opinion Audi's R8 just barely misses the mark for Supercardom in my opinion.  None of their S line qualifies.

VW had that Nardo W-12 concept that would qualify, but it was never built.

In my opinion GM has yet to build a true modern supercar, and this new ZR1 will not qualify.

Ford has only built the new GT to qualify as a modern supercar (even though I still maintain it's an automotive footnote).

Chrysler has yet to put a supercar into production (though the ME-14 or whatever it was called would have been), the Viper does not qualify

In my opinion Nissan has built only one modern supercar to date, the R390 GT1 road car.

Toyota's only true supercar has been the TS020 road car (too bad there was only like 1 built).  The LFA when its released will be their second.

Honda has yet to built a supercar (sorry NSX).  The new NSX may qualify.

Subaru and Mitubishi have no supercars.

Hyundai has no supercars.

These are obviously just my opinions.  I'm curious what you guys think qualifies as a supercar.