Quiznos
8 (29.6%)
Other
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 12, 2008, 05:55:50 AM
Did the word 'Sub' come from Subway?

Before Subway opened here I'd never heard of that term for a sandwich and I thought it was a marketing thing (like a Hoover for example).  But now I've seen a few other places selling subs (there's a Quinzos in my city, and I went in Jimmy Johns in Chicago) so I guess it's a general thing?

The term is a regional thing here in the states. Sub is a shortening of the term submarine sandwich, due to the use of a submarine roll (which is really just a form of a french baguette). Depending on where you're at, it's a sub, hero, hoagie, grinder, po-boy, or wedge. And maybe a few other regional variations.

Also, a true sub isn't toasted. That's really where the "grinder" came about, as it was a Pennsylvanian "hoagie" that was oven toasted.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

hmm... i don't think i've ever seen a "hoagie" toasted actually.  I believe the "grinder" was the first toasted sub like sammich.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Byteme

Quote from: Ron From Regina on May 09, 2008, 04:03:44 PM
I've blacklisted Canadian Quiznos locations. When paying with my debit card, they automatically add a $1.50 surchage, plus add a 10% tip.

If they did that to me I'd walk out and leave them with a completed sandwich.  If you like Quiznos why not just pay cash there?

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on May 12, 2008, 07:01:31 AM
hmm... i don't think i've ever seen a "hoagie" toasted actually.  I believe the "grinder" was the first toasted sub like sammich.

That's pretty much what I said. The grinder was a hoagie that was toasted...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on May 12, 2008, 07:06:42 AM
That's pretty much what I said. The grinder was a hoagie that was toasted...

i needz m0re reading comprehenshun...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 12, 2008, 05:55:50 AM
Did the word 'Sub' come from Subway?

Before Subway opened here I'd never heard of that term for a sandwich and I thought it was a marketing thing (like a Hoover for example).  But now I've seen a few other places selling subs (there's a Quinzos in my city, and I went in Jimmy Johns in Chicago) so I guess it's a general thing?

No, it's the other way around.  They named subway after the sub sammich.  I always heard it referred as sub being short for "submarine" though, so it's weird they focus their theme on subways rather than submarines, which are 10x cooler in addition to being more relevant.

edit: chrisv beat me to it, sorry.

Ron From Regina

Quote from: Byteme on May 12, 2008, 07:02:02 AM
If they did that to me I'd walk out and leave them with a completed sandwich.  If you like Quiznos why not just pay cash there?
Its because of the principal of it. In Canada, debit cards account for over 90% of transactions between 5 and 100 dollars. Also unlike Visa and MC transactions, debit card transactions here cost the retailer mere pennies. (where credit card often cost a percentage) (I know this because the company I work for is partners with companies that do credit / debit card integration)

I've never been anywhere else that has that surchage, so if they want to be greedy, piss on them. I'll take my business somehwere else just on principal.

HurricaneSteve

I picked other because I haven't tried Quiznos and Subway fired me when I worked for them many years ago. Go Blimpie's!

r0tor

there is a gas station by my house that has the pump prgrammed to jack up the cost of gas if you select the credit option.... bastards

Byteme

Quote from: Ron From Regina on May 12, 2008, 10:50:26 AM
Its because of the principal of it.....

I've never been anywhere else that has that surchage, so if they want to be greedy, piss on them. I'll take my business somehwere else just on principal.

I completely understand.   :ohyeah:

Byteme

Quote from: r0tor on May 12, 2008, 11:24:33 AM
there is a gas station by my house that has the pump prgrammed to jack up the cost of gas if you select the credit option.... bastards

Is that in the US?  IIRC in the US they seller cannot charge extra for use of a credit card, but they can offer a discount for cash, i.e the advertised price must be for cash and credit unless the seller plainly states there are different prices for cash and credit.

r0tor

there is a small "cash" written in the corner of their main sign... bearly noticeable

Lazerous

Did anybody else notice that Quiznos recently started doing $5 large subs as well?
Their sales must've went down quite a bit after Subway started it.

The Pirate

Quote from: J86 on May 10, 2008, 08:59:45 PM
Had Wegman's today...that was excellent.

Wegmans subs rock!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

Quote from: Lazerous on May 12, 2008, 09:57:29 PM
Did anybody else notice that Quiznos recently started doing $5 large subs as well?

Yeah, it's like the Gillette/Schick razor-wars all over again.

"Four blades are better than three!"

"Oh yeah? Well we've got five, AND one on the back!"

Quick, someone give me a 16-blade razor that peels the skin right off my face.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened?the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades.

What part of this don't you understand? If two blades is good, and three blades is better, obviously five blades would make us the best fucking razor that ever existed. Comprende? We didn't claw our way to the top of the razor game by clinging to the two-blade industry standard. We got here by taking chances. Well, five blades is the biggest chance of all.

I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

I just found that article. Read it all for a good laugh. The cool thing is it came out before Gillette released the Fusion, so The Onion actually predicted that product.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2008, 01:21:35 AM
Yeah, it's like the Gillette/Schick razor-wars all over again.

"Four blades are better than three!"

"Oh yeah? Well we've got five, AND one on the back!"

Quick, someone give me a 16-blade razor that peels the skin right off my face.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened?the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades.

What part of this don't you understand? If two blades is good, and three blades is better, obviously five blades would make us the best fucking razor that ever existed. Comprende? We didn't claw our way to the top of the razor game by clinging to the two-blade industry standard. We got here by taking chances. Well, five blades is the biggest chance of all.

I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

I just found that article. Read it all for a good laugh. The cool thing is it came out before Gillette released the Fusion, so The Onion actually predicted that product.

It was well known Gillete was coming out w/ a 5 blade razor well before the Fusion was launched, so I don't think the Onion predicted it.

Tave

That article was written 2-3 years before the Fusion was released, but perhaps you're right.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on May 12, 2008, 06:50:56 AM
The term is a regional thing here in the states. Sub is a shortening of the term submarine sandwich, due to the use of a submarine roll (which is really just a form of a french baguette). Depending on where you're at, it's a sub, hero, hoagie, grinder, po-boy, or wedge. And maybe a few other regional variations.

Also, a true sub isn't toasted. That's really where the "grinder" came about, as it was a Pennsylvanian "hoagie" that was oven toasted.

I've lived in PA almost all my life, and hoagie was the term for any long sandwich in my part of the state, and I never had a toasted hoagie until I had one in a Subway.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on May 13, 2008, 08:54:56 PM
I've lived in PA almost all my life, and hoagie was the term for any long sandwich in my part of the state, and I never had a toasted hoagie until I had one in a Subway.

One of my best friends from college whom I've since lost contact with (he literally dropped off the face of the earth .... literally!) was from PA and he said "hoagie" all the time.  Anything on a long sub was a "hoagie" to him.  It was weird.  Also, he stole my couch.  But in FL, we very rarely use the term "hoagie".