Total Members Voted: 23

JYODER240

Penn Station > Jimmy Johns > Quiznos > Subway
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

J86

Quote from: TBR on May 06, 2008, 08:29:49 PM
I'd like to note that service is often not a chain wide issue, my Quiznos has perfectly fine service (not great mind you, but better than Subway).

The three I've been to all blow!

One in Geneva, NY, one in Martin County, FL, and one in the airport wherever the hell I changed flights between Colorado and RI.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on May 06, 2008, 08:29:49 PM
I'd like to note that service is often not a chain wide issue, my Quiznos has perfectly fine service (not great mind you, but better than Subway).

I've never had issues with Subway service, but it's never been great. 

It's not like a local place, where they thank you for coming in, but it's not offensive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: J86 on May 06, 2008, 08:24:45 PM
Fuck Quiznos!!  Crappy service.

Maybe yours. Ours has been great. Hell, when they dropped the basic BLT from the menu, which my stepson loved, the person behind the counter would still make it for him. They've always been polite. I've been treated much worse at "local" joints...

You have to remember, even with a chain like this, these are franchises and individual stores are still individually owned and operated, and will have different work ethos in place.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

"local" joints are being put out of business because they suck...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Byteme

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 06, 2008, 04:50:05 PM
Does anyone have Schlotzsky's near where they live?  I consider them the best sandwich chain.  Unfortunately the nearest one to me is in Bloomington, IL and their market seems to be shrinking.  Their base is in Texas, and I know they're scattered at least from California to Wisconsin to Florida.  Check them out if there's one near you.

They are all over Texas.  I don't care for them. 

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on May 07, 2008, 05:09:31 AM
You have to remember, even with a chain like this, these are franchises and individual stores are still individually owned and operated, and will have different work ethos in place.

Exactly.  As I stated in the mayo thread; the quality of the kitchen and wait staff is far more important than the name on the building.

Two subway's, one about 1/2 mile from out house and 1 about 3 miles away.  We don't go to the closer one because of the service.  My wife once ordered a salad there and they put about 1/2 cup of lettuce in the container.  I asked if that was all she got and the guy said yes, so we said 'no thank you' and walked out.  The guy followed us screaming and giving us the finger.  Rather than confront him and sink to that level we voted with our wallets; we buy elsewhere.

There are so many places to eat it's foolish to put up with poor service or poor food.

Tave

Holy crap, how could I forget Heidi's!?

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

I used to like Quizno's, but the last time I was on vacation the only affordable lunch within 5 mi was a Quizno's. I had it five days in a row. Now I think I'll throw up if I eat another one of their toasted buns.

Subway wins by default.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Middle_Path

Oh, I forgot about Schlotzsky's, Sander. That's some good stuff there. What is this Jimmy Johns you others speak of? Guess we don't have that down here. Nevermind, it's probably some Yankee crap sammich place.   :tounge:
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

CJ

I'm a fan of Schlotzsky's pizzas.  Their sandwiches?  They're not great, but not bad.

Lebowski

Quote from: Middle_Path on May 07, 2008, 03:18:01 PM
Oh, I forgot about Schlotzsky's, Sander. That's some good stuff there. What is this Jimmy Johns you others speak of? Guess we don't have that down here. Nevermind, it's probably some Yankee crap sammich place.   :tounge:

Jimmy Johns is good by chain standards at approximately fast food prices.  It is MUCH better than subway, because they have better quality meats and cheeses.  They have fresh bread, in both sub-roll and really good wheat "club".

S204STi

Quote from: Lebowski on May 07, 2008, 04:53:05 PM
Jimmy Johns is good by chain standards at approximately fast food prices.  It is MUCH better than subway, because they have better quality meats and cheeses.  They have fresh bread, in both sub-roll and really good wheat "club".

We have a couple of those in FoCo.  I really dig them...plus one of them sells day-old rolls for .50 a pop.

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on May 07, 2008, 09:16:17 PM
We have a couple of those in FoCo.  I really dig them...plus one of them sells day-old rolls for .50 a pop.

FoCo=Frisco, right?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: Middle_Path on May 07, 2008, 03:18:01 PM
Oh, I forgot about Schlotzsky's, Sander. That's some good stuff there. What is this Jimmy Johns you others speak of? Guess we don't have that down here. Nevermind, it's probably some Yankee crap sammich place.   :tounge:

i don't have either of the above near me
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2008, 05:53:50 AM

It's already been established that you have a taste for the mediocre.  Unfortunately, most of the country has terrible taste as well.  How else do you explain why Bud Light is the #1 selling beer in the US?

Local joints go out of business because the typical American consumer decides what he/she likes based on commercials, not their own taste.

The meat on a subway sub is shitty and low quality.  That's a fact.

However, I'm not sure I'd agree that local joints are all going out of business.  There are plenty of good local joints around here that are still in business.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on May 08, 2008, 07:48:37 AM

Local joints go out of business because the typical American consumer decides what he/she likes based on commercials, not their own taste.

Right.  All 300 million of us down here are simply hapless sheep who can't think for ourselves.   :rolleyes:

Come on you know better than that.  Commercials may get you in the door but quality, price and service is what will keep you coming back.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on May 08, 2008, 07:48:37 AM
However, I'm not sure I'd agree that local joints are all going out of business.  There are plenty of good local joints around here that are still in business.

the ones that are actually good stay in business... the shitty ones are out

Lebowski

Quote from: Byteme on May 08, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
Right.  All 300 million of us down here are simply hapless sheep who can't think for ourselves.   :rolleyes:

Come on you know better than that.  Commercials may get you in the door but quality, price and service is what will keep you coming back.

Again, how do you explain how Bud Light is the #1 beer in the US?

How do you explain the success of Starbucks and their shitty, burnt coffee?

How do you explain why a huge percent of the population thinks of kraft singles when you say the word "cheese"?

How do you explain why so many people buy Bose speakers?  Why do people ask for Grey Goose instead of Smirnoff when 1) Vodka has such a neutral flavour you can barely tell the difference, and 2) any discernable difference is irrelevant since they're ordering it mixed with tonic?

Most people have horrible taste.  I'm not saying we're hapless sheep, just that a lot of people have been numbed by decades of consuming overly salted, overly sweetened, shitty processed foods. 

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on May 08, 2008, 11:05:37 AM
the ones that are actually good stay in business... the shitty ones are out

Well, another thing is, the good ones may go out of business simply because they don't have the same advertising dollars as the big chain joints. 

Another thing is, most people dont' like to try to things, they say they do but most don't.  They like predictability, with a chain joint, even the shittiest ones I can predict how bad it's going to taste.  But local joints, it could be different, even everytime you go there sometimes. 

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Lebowski on May 08, 2008, 11:18:09 AM
Again, how do you explain how Bud Light is the #1 beer in the US?

How do you explain the success of Starbucks and their shitty, burnt coffee?

How do you explain why a huge percent of the population thinks of kraft singles when you say the word "cheese"?

How do you explain why so many people buy Bose speakers?  Why do people ask for Grey Goose instead of Smirnoff when 1) Vodka has such a neutral flavour you can barely tell the difference, and 2) any discernable difference is irrelevant since they're ordering it mixed with tonic?

Most people have horrible taste.  I'm not saying we're hapless sheep, just that a lot of people have been numbed by decades of consuming overly salted, overly sweetened, shitty processed foods. 

Most people think that most people have horrible taste and that their sense of taste is superior.

Lebowski

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 08, 2008, 11:23:47 AM
Most people think that most people have horrible taste and that their sense of taste is superior.

You're right - Bud Light, kraft singles, burnt starbucks coffee, and Bose speakers are all top quality.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on May 08, 2008, 11:25:49 AM
You're right - Bud Light, kraft singles, burnt starbucks coffee, and Bose speakers are all top quality.

Well, I don't drink, I dislike cheese, I don't drink coffee and I'm not what you would call and audiophile so I don't really have an opinion on thise items.

Lebowski

I got lunch from Hungry Howies today.  Italian calzone-style Sammich.  Pretty tasty.  Incredibly unhealthy.  Basically a slize of pizza with more meat folded over.

Vastly superior in taste to anything Subway offers.

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 07, 2008, 09:16:49 PM
FoCo=Frisco, right?

Fort Collins, CO. It's about an hour north of Denver.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: Byteme on May 08, 2008, 10:38:47 AM
Right.  All 300 million of us down here are simply hapless sheep who can't think for ourselves.   :rolleyes:

McDonald's?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2008, 05:53:50 AM

Some perhaps, but a great number of them go out of business because people will many times choose the safe and predictable route rather than take a chance on something new.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

i had an italian bmt tonight... yummm

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on May 08, 2008, 05:14:46 PM
i had an italian bmt tonight... yummm

BMT?  Bacon, Mustard Miracle whip, and Tomato?

r0tor

Italian B.M.T.? An old-world favorite. Sliced Genoa salami, pepperoni and ham and your choice of fresh vegetables and condiments served on freshly baked bread. Some say BMT stands for biggest, meatiest, tastiest. We wouldn?t disagree.