3rd offense DWI is a felony

Started by rohan, May 11, 2008, 12:07:37 PM

rohan

Here a 3rd offense drunk driving is a felony and punishable in state prison up to I think 5 years.  Last night one of our deps arrested a guy for a 3rd while driving a scooter just like this but a different brand

I'm just reviewing the report right now - he was a 0.299%BAC and couldn't even spell his own name he was so drunk. 

What was the road he was on you ask?  I-94

Oh didn't see this before- the guy was born in 1945 and the deputy thinks the scooter is stolen!
This is good- in the field sobriety tests portion it says
"Alaphabet: Failed.  A,B,C, PAUSE, LONG SIGH, LET ME START OVER.  1,2,3, OH NEVER MIND."
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

It just occured to me- if the guy goes to prison how does he explain why he's locked up in state prison?

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Catman

That's pretty amusing. :lol:  I'm not sure if the scooter of the lawn tractor is worse. :huh:

Galaxy

I am glad that law enforcement is taking a zero tolerance stance here.

I do wonder about laws in place, for example the scandinavian countries which have a 0,0 limit. That means that techically if you drink a glass of apple juice you are drunk.  :lol:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Galaxy on May 11, 2008, 03:06:24 PM
I am glad that law enforcement is taking a zero tolerance stance here.

I do wonder about laws in place, for example the scandinavian countries which have a 0,0 limit. That means that techically if you drink a glass of apple juice you are drunk.  :lol:

That doesn't seem like an effective way to go about law enforcement.

Soup DeVille

Will that really stick for him riding a scooter?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 11, 2008, 04:48:51 PM

The operation of any vehicle on public streets (including lawn tractors and, IIRC, even non-motorized vehicles like bicycles) while intoxicated can land you a DWI/DUI.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Yeah, it'll stick. I think it's a bit silly to call that a felony and throw him in jail, but it's also a bit silly to ride a scooter down an interstate.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 11, 2008, 05:15:41 PM
The operation of any vehicle on public streets (including lawn tractors and, IIRC, even non-motorized vehicles like bicycles) while intoxicated can land you a DWI/DUI.

Can and Will are two different things. I'm sure he broke the letter of the law. That's not what I was asking.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 11, 2008, 07:46:15 PM
Can and Will are two different things. I'm sure he broke the letter of the law. That's not what I was asking.

Unfortunately, it will most likely depend how much money he has.

Secret Chimp

Well at least you can't kill anybody on a scooter (money on the next post proves me wrong :P)

I'd support a felony conviction for this. The act in and of itself doesn't make sense, but in a broader scope this man is casting a whole lot of doubt on whether he'd get into a car that drunk. "Oh I'm too drunk to drive, I'll take my scooter?" Seems unlikely to me. Some three strikes laws don't make a whole lot of sense to me, but when it comes to alcohol I have no problem with it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on May 11, 2008, 05:15:41 PM
Here to get convicted it has to be a motorized vehicle- and the scooter had a motor- most likely he'll get plead it down to a 2nd and get like 30 days time served and lose his license which he doesn't have for an addition year and probably $3500 cash plus lawyer fees.  The funniest part of it the $150 tow fee the wrecker service charged him.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: J86 on May 11, 2008, 08:47:43 PM
Unfortunately, it will most likely depend how much money he has.
exactly right.

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Quote from: rohan on May 11, 2008, 11:43:37 PM
Here to get convicted it has to be a motorized vehicle- and the scooter had a motor- most likely he'll get plead it down to a 2nd and get like 30 days time served and lose his license which he doesn't have for an addition year and probably $3500 cash plus lawyer fees.  The funniest part of it the $150 tow fee the wrecker service charged him.

That sounds pretty fair to me. If he had been driving, though, at that level of intoxication, felony all the way.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

How much harm can a drunk guy really do with just a scooter or a bicycle?

Rupert

Very little, but he was on the freeway. I think laws making it illegal to ride a bike or a stupid scooter like that while drunk are pretty dumb. I think this kind of thing should fall under some other law. Doing something stupid, dangerous, and potentially harmful to others (swerving cars on the freeway, and all) while very drunk should probably be illegal. The fact that this guy has two other DUI's sort of shows that a serious punishment is in order (unless those are also for "driving" a scooter while drunk). If this was his first time getting in trouble for this sort of thing, I think a relatively minor punishment would fit, certainly stopping short of taking away his license.

rohan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2008, 12:30:17 AM
How much harm can a drunk guy really do with just a scooter or a bicycle?
I just now came back in from being out on the freeway- I was seeing speeds of 80-90 out there so if he got hit I'ld say he'ld do a whole bunch of damage!

Quote from: Psilos on May 12, 2008, 12:46:55 AM
Very little, but he was on the freeway. I think laws making it illegal to ride a bike or a stupid scooter like that while drunk are pretty dumb. I think this kind of thing should fall under some other law. Doing something stupid, dangerous, and potentially harmful to others (swerving cars on the freeway, and all) while very drunk should probably be illegal. The fact that this guy has two other DUI's sort of shows that a serious punishment is in order (unless those are also for "driving" a scooter while drunk). If this was his first time getting in trouble for this sort of thing, I think a relatively minor punishment would fit, certainly stopping short of taking away his license.
I agree that if he was doning this on a residential street or some back woods road it'ld be really more of a annyoance but being out on the I-way on a Saturday night at 0drunk:thirty (02:30) is pretty much everything you said and more!  Easy way to get innocent people killed if they swerve because you're dumb drunk behind is out on a scooter with a 1/2 candle power light on the front and nothing on the back.  If he gets splattered it's not going to hurt most peoples feelings but we don't want anyone to have to live with it or get hurt trying to miss him.  I thinks that's what your basically saying.

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Yup, that's pretty much specifically what I'm saying.

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 11, 2008, 04:48:51 PM

There are cases of people being charged with DWI or DUI while riding ("operating?") a horse.    :lol:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Byteme on May 12, 2008, 09:35:04 AM
There are cases of people being charged with DWI or DUI while riding ("operating?") a horse.    :lol:

Well as long as the horse isn't drunk I don't see any problem with that.

Catman

That scooter going down the highway could cause a serious accident with people swerving or even hitting it and causing a car to lose control.  It's not much of a stretch to imagine a fatality or serious injury in that scenario.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Catman on May 12, 2008, 03:23:32 PM
That scooter going down the highway could cause a serious accident with people swerving or even hitting it and causing a car to lose control.  It's not much of a stretch to imagine a fatality or serious injury in that scenario.

What if he was on foot?

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2008, 07:01:30 PM
What if he was on foot?

Then there's no motor vehicle and no OUI.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2008, 07:01:30 PM
What if he was on foot?

Public drunkeness arrest or disorderly conduct?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sparkplug

A scooter isn't really a vehicle. It has no seat.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

rohan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2008, 02:12:06 PM
Well as long as the horse isn't drunk I don't see any problem with that.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on May 12, 2008, 08:23:29 PM
Public drunkeness arrest or disorderly conduct?
We don't have public intox in Michigan and he'ld have to be creating a public disturbance where peoples peace is disturbed this doesn't rise to that.

Quote from: sparkplug on May 12, 2008, 09:16:35 PM
A scooter isn't really a vehicle. It has no seat.
But it does have a dedicated space for an occupant and it's motorized.

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: Catman on May 12, 2008, 07:15:21 PM
Then there's no motor vehicle and no OUI.

Ohio is just operation of a vehicle, no motor required. We've had convictions for OVI on bicycles and rollerblades in this state.

Tave

Every year on the weekend before finals, the student body at my school does something we call, "Tour de Laramie." People grab the nearest bike they can find and try to ride to every bar in town, drinking at each stop.

This year, the city was going to field 30 bike officers who would ride with clusters of Tour participants and make sure they stayed safe, but the weather ruined everyone's plans.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sparkplug

Quote from: rohan on May 12, 2008, 11:07:02 PM
We don't have public intox in Michigan and he'ld have to be creating a public disturbance where peoples peace is disturbed this doesn't rise to that.
But it does have a dedicated space for an occupant and it's motorized.

I believe charging him with DWI is a violation of the spirit of the law. They should charge with public intoxication and putting motorist at risk. Charging him with DWI is like giving a baby a ticket for crapping in his diaper.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.