Transmission choice for the daily grind

Started by the Teuton, May 20, 2008, 05:21:36 PM

For your daily commute, what tranny would you pick?

Auto (or paddled auto)
10 (28.6%)
Manual
21 (60%)
SMG/DSG/clutchless manual
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

the Teuton

I was thinking about this today.  I live in a big city, and traffic here sucks.  The more I drive stick cars, the more I come to the realization that for any sort of daily commute in the city, I would not want to have a manual car for a DD.  Maybe if I drove more highways, I'd take a manual car, but for city driving, it sucks.

So for your daily commute, your regular drive in the traffic you drive in now, what would you pick and why?

Please refrain from turning this into a "autotragic" debate.  That would be asinine.  This is for your commute, not for the race track.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Neither of you drive in heavy traffic that often, do you?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 20, 2008, 05:29:52 PM

No.

At least not yet. Besides, the automatic is dull.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 05:32:21 PM
No.

At least not yet. Besides, the automatic is dull.

Indeed, it is.  But try driving in rush hour traffic with stick.  It isn't too fun.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 20, 2008, 05:34:02 PM
Indeed, it is.  But try driving in rush hour traffic with stick.  It isn't too fun.

I'm sure it can't be THAT bad.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 05:35:12 PM
I'm sure it can't be THAT bad.

Waiting in long lines with your left leg fighting a pretty stiffly-sprung clutch pedal going up-hill at a busy intersection is not fun.  Remember, Pittsburgh was pretty much built on a hill.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Currently, no.  Although through high school and college, I logged a decent chunk of time running a forklift with a manual gearbox.  Forward and back, forward and back...  The equivalent of nightmarish stop-and-go traffic.  So long as the clutch isn't rediculously heavy, stop and go doesn't usually bother me.  Prolonged creeping traffic where you never get going fast enough to even let the clutch fully out for more than 2 seconds and you aren't sitting still so you can't pop it in neutral over a span of an hour+ does get old, and I put up with that almost daily for at least a month last year when the highway was under construction.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

I hardly ever sit in traffic, so manual for me please.

ifcar

I've commuted in heavy traffic in both, and a manual is fine with a light clutch. But, there's little advantage to it. For only rush hour traffic, a good automatic is a better choice.

CALL_911

Speaking of Transmissions, nothing pisses me off more than when you ask "Manual or Automatic?" and the reply is "Both, you can drive Automatic and Manual." I've just stopped wasting my time explaining what a manumatic is. I want to rip my hair out everytime I hear that.

Oh, and "RWD sucks big time in snow" is another one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 06:56:40 PM
Speaking of Transmissions, nothing pisses me off more than when you ask "Manual or Automatic?" and the reply is "Both, you can drive Automatic and Manual." I've just stopped wasting my time explaining what a manumatic is. I want to rip my hair out everytime I hear that.

SMG is the only thing that comes close.  BMWs will downshift for you, even in shift mode.  I like SMGs, but I haven't lived with one enough to think it's a good idea for commuting.

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 06:56:40 PM

SMG is the only thing that comes close.  BMWs will downshift for you, even in shift mode.  I like SMGs, but I haven't lived with one enough to think it's a good idea for commuting.

Lebowski

People who think manuals are difficult to drive in a daily commute either a) have never owned a manual or b) don't know how to drive a manual.

Seriously, it's not a big deal.  I live in Orlando which has perhaps the worst traffic in the country, and I have never once been remotely bothered by having a manual.  It simply becomes totally second nature after a very very short period of time.  You don't even think about it.

ifcar

Quote from: Lebowski on May 20, 2008, 07:08:02 PM
People who think manuals are difficult to drive in a daily commute either a) have never owned a manual or b) don't know how to drive a manual.

Seriously, it's not a big deal.  I live in Orlando which has perhaps the worst traffic in the country, and I have never once been remotely bothered by having a manual.  It simply becomes totally second nature after a very very short period of time.  You don't even think about it.

I can tie my tie without having to think about it, but I'm all the happier not to.

CALL_911

Orlando has the worst traffic in the country?!? :confused:

Uh, NYC? LA?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lazerous

Manual for me.
You say you wouldn't mind a manual if you did more highway driving. But I ask; how does manual differ from automatic when on the highway? Once you get to the desired speed (usually around 70-80mph) and set it in gear you don't have to down shift. You can even go down to 45-50mph and still remain in 5ht gear just fine.

I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 45minutes on what usually takes me 5-10minutes to get through on any other day and manual still didn't bother me at all.

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 07:14:40 PM

Uh, NYC? LA?

Seattle sucks monkey nuts, too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Yes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 07:14:40 PM

Uh, NYC? LA?

I was exaggerating, but only slightly.

NYC?  Nobody has a car in NYC.  You don't need to commute to work in NYC.  Maybe LA is worse, but even they have a subway.  Orlando is probably top 10 worst cities to drive in, and there is NO alternative to driving here.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on May 20, 2008, 07:31:46 PM
I was exaggerating, but only slightly.

NYC?  Nobody has a car in NYC.  You don't need to commute to work in NYC.  Maybe LA is worse, but even they have a subway.  Orlando is probably top 10 worst cities to drive in, and there is NO alternative to driving here.

Have you EVER driven into Manhattan? After you do that, then tell me that Orlando is bad.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 20, 2008, 07:33:13 PM
Have you EVER driven into Manhattan? After you do that, then tell me that Orlando is bad.

I just drove through Orlando during rush hour in March, and it's pretty bad.

Eye of the Tiger

Auto-what? I'm addicted to heel-n-toe now. My synchros have been quite bored.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lazerous

By the Texas Transportation Institute's reckoning, the cities having the worst traffic problems are:

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.

2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.

3. Washington, D.C.

4. Atlanta

5. Houston

6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.

7. Chicago.

8. Detroit

9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.

9. Orlando, Fla.

11. San Jose, Calif.

12. San Diego

http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/06/worst-traffic-nightmares-cx_rm_0207traffic.html

The Pirate

I drive in heavy traffic every day.  One road in particular I'm only on for a mile or so, and if the time of day is right (wrong might be the better term here), it takes 45 minutes.  Still, I prefer a proper manual transmission.  Like others have said, it becomes second nature.  At times, I do get a bit exasperated (the whole creeping phenomenon that MX973 described above), but it's so worth it as soon as I hit some deserted county roads.

But, in a small and nimble car, I'll take a manual with no second thought.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

We have some of the worst traffic in the country. I still prefer stick.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

saxonyron

I lived for 5 years driving 25,000 miles a year with manuals.  And I racked up plenty of stop and go city miles in Boston.  I have a slushy now, but only  because the A6 isn't available here in a stick.  If Audi exported the manual, like they did with my old '00 A6 2.7T, I'd happily still row it myself.  Am I glad not to have one when I'm locked in a 45  minute bumper to bumper gridlocked slog across Cambridge? Yeah, but the upside doesn't outweigh the downside.  Those apex clipping throttle blipping heel and toeing moments make up for any minor tendonitis in my left foot.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Vinsanity

Even if I can deal with rush-hour traffic with a stickshift, I'd rather have a slushbox for that job. I'd take the manual if traffic would sustain any higher than 25 mph for any meaningful period of time