***TESTDROVE A 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ CL600***

Started by cawimmer430, July 20, 2005, 11:02:45 AM

cawimmer430

Today was one of those days where I just love my life. I came up to the Benz dealership this morning and the guy I am working under this week tells me that he has a special treat for me. Outside is a used 2003 Mercedes-Benz CL600, yep the one with the 500-horsepower, 800 Nm (590 lb/ft) of torque twin-turbo V12 engine. And guess who could have some serious fun behind the wheel of that baby? ME! :praise: I didn?t have to drive it anywhere, the dealership just allowed me to go take it out and have some fun! Didn?t even ask if I could drive it. Damn it I love my life, I really do! :lol:

This particular CL600 was really hot and sexy looking. It had a Designo (special option, really really really expensive too!) Brilliantblack exterior color as well as 19? 5-spoke AMG rims and an AMG body kit. Twin mufflers at the rear were standard. The car was pretty well optioned out as well with goodies like a wooden steering wheel, refrigerator in the rear, Distronic and much more. Surprisingly, the first owner also paid extra for the cupholders! :P Oh yeah, and later I asked what the original price was of this car: ? 150,000! And now after 2 years and 71,000 km (44,375 miles) it?s being sold for ? 74,200.

This would be the first, and probably last, V12 engine I would ever get to drive in my life. Aside from that, the forced induction blew some serious power into this baby so I was expecting something that could break my neck at the push of an accelerator pedal. Oh how I couldn?t wait to abuse this thing. I myself was able to get the keys for the car, slap on some red license plates and turn the ignition. The V12 engine purred to life in a very quieted down tone. Nothing remotely sporty or aggressive, just soft and quiet purring. After that, the motor just settled into an extremely quiet and smooth idle. I couldn?t hear nor feel the engine. It was that smooth and that quiet.

The bad news? The engine was running on fumes. The fuel clock was on zero, and the board computer signaled an estimated range of ?0 km?! And this engine needs to supply 12-cylinders with fuel. SH*T! Thank God there was a gas station around 500 meters from the Benz dealer. I pulled in there and filled in 8 liters of the most expensive stuff they had, which the thirsty V12 required. I thought I couldn?t make it but the CL600 reached the gas station without coughing or stalling.

As soon as I paid the expensive ? 10.50 for 8 liters of gas, I made my way to drive this thing around slow and steady, just warming up the engine so I could enjoy the power of the V12. Here are some of my early impressions. The interior was pretty decent. The materials used were an improvement over the original C215 CL, which debuted during the ?cost-cutting? days at Mercedes. In this car, the interior was pleasant. Nothing class leading, but good materials and just a pleasant comfy place to be in. The suspension was a mix between soft and hard, but mostly soft. I noticed a ?ABC Sport? button on the dash and playing around with that, I noticed that the suspension became harder or softer. I left it on sport since I would need that setting. Oh yeah! :lol:

The steering feel was like an S-Class. Light with a touch of vagueness, but quick acting enough for decent sporty driving. You have to remember that this car is still a luxury GT cruiser at heart and no serious owner would take this thing on the track. At any rate, I had no problems with the steering feel. Guess I am used to it from driving so many older MB?s. Even at higher speeds, the cabin remained very isolated from the road: it was like another world inside the cabin since it was so quiet.

By now, the engine was warmed up. This is all I really wanted to experience. The power of a twin-turbocharged Swabian V12 engine with an absurd amount of power. I had navigated unto some local country roads, which were reasonably straight and traffic-free. One last glance in the rear mirror to check if really no one is behind me (yeah right, as if they could overtake me when I punched it! :P )?I slowed down to about 10-15 km/h?lifted my right foot off the brake?let the car roll?put my right foot into position over the pedal?and HAMMERED it! What happened next just blew me away. First, the rear tires began screeching (and you could feel them burning the ground away!), the car began to shake left and right as the ESP, ABS and ASR and possibly even the ABC systems began their task in stabilizing the car. After a second, the CL600 just took off with some really badass power and force. I was brutally slammed deep into the cushioned seats and could see the speedometer fly from speed to speed. In no time, I was doing well over the legal limit 100 km/h (62 mph): I was in 160 km/h (100 mph) territory and gaining quickly. Oh, point proven. This thing is badass. I slowed down quickly as not to loose control of this thing. As this brutal acceleration was happening, the V12 motor began showing its badass side. From the sweet and quiet engine I had known minutes before, came a badass (don?t know how else to describe it) growl that frightened me. This noise just bellowed at me and told me that I have some serious power under the hood.

I wanted to take a 0-60 or a flying start video but the car was just too brutal in terms of shove-back power. I had to control this car when I punched it and that meant both hands on the wheel. Seriously, all that power was just absolutely insane. Even more scarier, those precious 8 liters of gas I poured in where almost eaten up. Boy this thing likes to drink! Especially if someone like me who?s constantly doing kickdowns is hammering it. The board computer showed me an estimated fuel economy of 36.2 liters / 100 km, that?s 6.5 mpg! :o

I still had enough gas to have some serious fun so I took it around the area just hammering it, enjoying that thrust of the V12. I couldn?t get enough of this car and its power. Here was a one-time opportunity to drive a badass V12 and I was using and enjoying every minute of it. By the way, you couldn?t feel any form of turbo-lag on the V12. The response was instantaneous the moment you hit the accelerator. At midrange speed, the engine also responded instantly.

The 5-speed automatic transmission was so good, there wasn?t any need to play around with it. However, I did fool around with it downshifting into 2nd and 3rd gear and then hammering it?if only you were there to experience the results. This thing is badass. Period. I really wanted to take videos, but the car was just to powerful and it was just inviting an accident if I did take videos. Sorry guys, safety first. ;)

All the while, I just kept punching it here and there with the same results. The car gained speed so quickly, it wasn?t funny. In fact, I had serious problems controlling all that power on those tight roads. The CL600 felt heavy and didn?t feel sporty at all. I wasn?t expecting it to be since it?s a luxury GT cruiser, but it really wasn?t made for blasting to tight curves at high speed. Where this car is at home is on the Autobahn, where its high speed stability and comfort are designed to bring occupants in safety and style from A to B. Indeed, the car didn?t feel like a super handler, but its straight-line power was just unbelievable. But I have to say, the CL was a fun car to drive. Just sitting behind the wheel of such a classy luxury car with a powerful engine upfront is enough to brighten anyone?s day. The suspension, when not in sports mode, was comfy and ABC really works well in jutting out those bumps so that you can?t feel what surface you?re riding on. They weren?t kidding when they tested ABC and found it to work well! Amazing.

Well, after the photo shoot, I just stared at the CL600 from all angles. What a beauty. An elegant and conservative design, it has aged well IMO. Funny thing is, it still looks slightly modern in some sense. I don?t think the design is outdated at all. People stared at me when some 20ish year old looking kid pulls up in a big CL. I loved it. Too bad the first owner specified a removing of the ?CL600? and ?V12? badges, which made this CL look like a standard CL500 from the outside. The only true evidence that this was a CL600 lay under the hood and in the way it drove. No way in hell a CL500 could equal such performance.

Honestly, I loved the CL600 and the power it had. But the only place you can really exploit the car is on the Autobahn. It?s simply to big and heavy and not that good of a handler on the roads where I live. Aside from that, it has so much power and torque, controlling it in curves is a problem should you keep your foot on the pedal. Realistically, a CL500 would be more than enough for me. Maybe one of these days when I finish pimp school, I will check out the CL-Class in more detail. :lol: :P

Tomorrow: 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS320 CDI (224-hp, 510 Nm, 7Gtronic) [:sun:]

^Damn I love my life.^ :praise: :lol:

MORE CL600 PICTURES HERE: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2123480159
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BMWDave

Great write up!  Good to hear you enjoyed it :praise:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

cawimmer430

QuoteGreat write up!  Good to hear you enjoyed it :praise:
Thanks Dave. I enjoyed that car. You need to try one and you'll love it instantly. It's not a handler, but straight-line acceleration is just crazy! And the torque shoves you back like nobody's business!  :rockon:  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

QuoteGreat write up!  Good to hear you enjoyed it :praise:
Thanks Dave. I enjoyed that car. You need to try one and you'll love it instantly. It's not a handler, but straight-line acceleration is just crazy! And the torque shoves you back like nobody's business!  :rockon:
I'll try to drive one as soon as possible :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

QuoteGreat write up!? Good to hear you enjoyed it :praise:
:P

Walk into the BMW dealership and tell them your sick of how "slow" your 545i is. Maybe then they'll be like "Sir, please try our 760Li..."  :D  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Run Away

That's definitley one of my dreams cars. I have a few pictures of one on my bedroom wall.

cawimmer430

QuoteThat's definitley one of my dreams cars. I have a few pictures of one on my bedroom wall.
Hey Ben, you could go through my Imagestation album and tell me which ones you want me to send you. The original shots I took are 1280 x 960.  ;)  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

Walk into the BMW dealership and tell them your sick of how "slow" your 545i is. Maybe then they'll be like "Sir, please try our 760Li..."  :D
I'll try that :lol:  

Theres one problem...I dont have a 545i :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

It doesn't have to be 545i. Just pull up to the dealer in a fancy and fast car and say you're looking for something with power and refinement. They might let you have a go at a 545i...after that, you tell them that the car was too "slow" or too "unrefined", then they'll might propose a 760Li testdrive. Do the same with Audi, MB etc. dealerships. I have a friend in Maryland who does this all the time and it seems to work, yet he's never driven a V12 before. I beat him to it!  :rockon:  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

It doesn't have to be 545i. Just pull up to the dealer in a fancy and fast car and say you're looking for something with power and refinement. They might let you have a go at a 545i...after that, you tell them that the car was too "slow" or too "unrefined", then they'll might propose a 760Li testdrive. Do the same with Audi, MB etc. dealerships. I have a friend in Maryland who does this all the time and it seems to work, yet he's never driven a V12 before. I beat him to it!  :rockon:  :lol:
Where do I get a fancy and fast car from :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

You could rent a fancy car from one of those rent-a-car places.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

You could rent a fancy car from one of those rent-a-car places.  :lol:
That would be a lot of work...might as well wait till I'm rich and then I can actually test drive the car, and buy it :praise:  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

QuoteThat's definitley one of my dreams cars. I have a few pictures of one on my bedroom wall.
Hey Ben, you could go through my Imagestation album and tell me which ones you want me to send you. The original shots I took are 1280 x 960.  ;)

If I could get those 4, that would be sweet.

unaturallyaspired at gmail dot com

Thanks Chris. :praise:

Tom

I'll let you borrow mine, Dave :lol:

That sounds like an orgasmic acceleration experience :rockon:  

cawimmer430

Check your email Ben. No problem.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Check your email Ben. No problem.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteThat sounds like an orgasmic acceleration experience :rockon:
Better than sex, better than sex.  :lol:  :rockon:  :D  :P  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

R33 GT-R

You should have disabled the systems so you could lay some rubber.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Run Away

NomisR

I got to drive a SL500 at the Love Mercedes event that was here a half a year ago.  Honestly, I can't say I'm impressed by the car.  It felt a little bit sluggish off the line with the slush box although it picked up really fast after that and the thing felt really heavy around the corners, the SLK was a better drive.  drove the CL too but that thing understeered like a bitch.

jadewolf123

pssshhhhhtttt. Wimmer only 590 lb/ft of torque. My lawnmower makes more than that. All your European cars are so underpowered.  :P  Seriously though that is one incredible experience. Too bad you weren't allowed to take it out on the Autobahn with no traffic. That would have been an experience. Now that you had a V-12 you need to test out a 65AMG or a W-16 Bugatti. Thats the only way up in terms of power. That or a nitromethanol burning supercharged top fuel dragster
The best part about of these is that the exhaust gasses are so powerful they generate a lot of downforce.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Submariner

Isn't the power just sick?  :praise:

Great write up as always, Chris.  The rear cool box is cool.  I know we don't get it stateside.   But do you have pictures of it? I know it's silly, I'd just bve interested as to what it looks like.

...Oh, Chris, one more thing.  If you ever get to drive this car again, do turn of the ESP.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Excellent write-up, Chris.  I can't imagine what the acceleration on that thing must feel like...wow...  :o  :o  :rockon:  

CaseyNPham

Sheesh, I bet the Coupe would SO outrun that useless piece of junk! I mean, come on, I look at the interior pictures and I instantly notice that my mucho grandelicious venti mocha latte thingy is gonna tip over, and that my pda and cell phone won't be in reach!  
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

giant_mtb

QuoteSheesh, I bet the Coupe would SO outrun that useless piece of junk! I mean, come on, I look at the interior pictures and I instantly notice that my mucho grandelicious venti mocha latte thingy is gonna tip over, and that my pda and cell phone won't be in reach!
Who cares?  This car's a beast...it's...well...badass. ^_^

Raghavan

Colonel Cadillac

That must have been incredible! I am truly happy for you Wimmer. I have always been hoping that my dad come home with a brand new 911 Turbo so I could hammer it and feel what it is like to be pounded into my seat! (0-60 3.9 seconds!)

giant_mtb

QuoteThat must have been incredible! I am truly happy for you Wimmer. I have always been hoping that my dad come home with a brand new 911 Turbo so I could hammer it and feel what it is like to be pounded into my seat! (0-60 3.9 seconds!)
I share your same dream...but it is just that: a dream.  <_<  :(  :ph34r:

But... :rockon:  

BMWDave

QuoteThat must have been incredible! I am truly happy for you Wimmer. I have always been hoping that my dad come home with a brand new 911 Turbo so I could hammer it and feel what it is like to be pounded into my seat! (0-60 3.9 seconds!)
I share your same dream...but it is just that: a dream.  <_<  :(  :ph34r:

But... :rockon:
When you guys are older and on your own, then you can always save up money to buy a Turbo, or you can buy one used.

Dreams do come true you know :rockon:  

2007 Honda S2000

JYODER240

I love those CL's, one of my dad's friends just picked up a CL55 AMG last fall. He said something about trading my dad cars for a day! sounds like we're getting the better end up the deal.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*