Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

SVT_Power

I've noticed I've worn down the tires noticeably since getting the bike, probably because I do the vast majority of my riding in town and don't always start/stop conservatively :lol:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

Rode to the Stone Sour concert tonight. My bike is probably the only non V-twin here. :lol: Between the ability to get through traffic quickly and park up front, riding is definitely the best choice for a big event like this.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Wah.  A new rear brake pedal is $60. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 17, 2017, 11:00:22 AM
Wah.  A new rear brake pedal is $60. 

Cut a 2x4 to size/shape and duct tape it on.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 17, 2017, 11:16:44 AM
Cut a 2x4 to size/shape and duct tape it on.

You have nothing but perfect ideas.

CaminoRacer

Red Green is my idol

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

Slightly unusual for this thread, but I'm debating telling my mom about the bike.

I've yet to tell her, my brother is the only family member that knows :lol:. And he hasn't spilled the beans to anyone, and I don't think I have to worry about that.

So far I haven't told her because I know how much she worries about every damn thing. It's not even the endless nagging I'm sure I'll receive about it, it's just I don't want her to worry and stress over it. But on the other hand, I've been thinking if anything ever did happen while I was on the bike, then it would be a double whammy for her to find out something happened + I've owned a bike since last year and never told her.

:hmm:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

Yeah my mom hates my bike, but she knows she can't really do much about it as I'm an adult. It's probably better that she knows?
I just try to keep mine calm by assuring her that I always wear full gear, ride safely, and take training courses regularly to be a better rider. That's as much as you can do. 

12,000 RPM

Better to ask for forgiveness and all that. Out of sight and out of mind as well. Just don't crash
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Well I think it's a little late for asking for permission  :lol:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2017, 06:25:29 AM
Better to ask for forgiveness and all that. Out of sight and out of mind as well. Just don't crash

Easier said than done. :lol: :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Took me a while to ease my parents into my dirtbike ownership. Basically I said it was my friend's and that I was keeping it since he can't ride where he lives...then a couple months later I told them I was gonna buy it from him.  They've never expressed any disdain, just "be careful."  They'll even ask me if I've done any riding lately at this point.  I think being a trail rider puts them at some ease since I'm not on the street. 

Speed_Racer

My bike left me stranded for the first time this weekend. The clutch cable snapped and rather than wing it i got a lift from a buddy. Also, it's been running a lot smoother since my track day last month. Nothing better than an Italian tune-up I suppose

SVT_Power

I've been thinking about doing the clutch cable on mine before it snaps and leaves me stranded. But I hear I need to remove the tank and airbox to replace the cable (there's a bracket or something it needs to run through under the frame). So most likely gonna wait until it leaves me stranded at the worst time/place...

12,000 RPM

I've replaced the clutch and throttle cables within the last 2 or so years due to stretching. As old as you guys bikes are I'd change them just for that. But yea, snapping sucks too.

Speed_Racer

Apparently people recommend swapping clutch cables out every 30-40k miles. I never thought of doing it and it's not in my maintenance schedule, but I'm adding it in now.

SVT_Power

My bike is 11 years old now, but has less than 20k miles. The clutch cable looks like it has definitely seen better days. I just gotta work up the energy to take the tank and airbox off

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 21, 2017, 11:10:49 AM
My bike is 11 years old now, but has less than 20k miles. The clutch cable looks like it has definitely seen better days. I just gotta work up the energy to take the tank and airbox off

Those are generally designed to come off pretty easily.  Especially if it's carbureted and has a fuel petcock.  I'd be surprised if it's more than 8 fasteners.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2017, 01:47:58 PM
Those are generally designed to come off pretty easily.  Especially if it's carbureted and has a fuel petcock.  I'd be surprised if it's more than 8 fasteners.

EFI, no carbz here

I just don't want to have to deal with gas spilling out and what not

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 21, 2017, 01:58:50 PM
EFI, no carbz here

I just don't want to have to deal with gas spilling out and what not

Still not hard, just even easier with a carb.  Just drain the tank before taking it off.  You also need to disconnect the power wire to the fuel pump.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2017, 02:13:34 PM
Still not hard, just even easier with a carb.  Just drain the tank before taking it off.  You also need to disconnect the power wire to the fuel pump.

That right there is exactly something I can't be bothered to do at the moment  :lol:

12,000 RPM

I've never drained the tank to do work under it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2017, 02:30:30 PM
I've never drained the tank to do work under it.

I've raised the tank a bit to just get at the airbox before and that was causing some fuel to come out of the overflow. So if I actually needed to reach underneath everything I'd probably have to get the tank out completely.

giant_mtb

Meh, spilling a little is a part of life. Gas evaporates super quick. Or just light it on fire on the ground.

Speed_Racer

After visiting dealers and trying things on for size, I found adventure bikes more comfortable to me than sport tourings. It really came down to the angle of my knees - with the tight position on my SV I want a distance bike to be as comfortable as possible. I preferred the Tiger and GS800/1200 versus the FJR and R1200RT which had my feet up a little higher. 

I'm looking at a local V-Strom 1000 sometime within the next week. The new one I sat on at a dealer felt great, but we'll see if this is the same - it's an '04.

giant_mtb

Not surprised. I think adventure bikes are probably the most comfortable long-distance bikes out there.

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 29, 2017, 11:11:06 AM
Not surprised. I think adventure bikes are probably the most comfortable long-distance bikes out there.

um

MX793

Unless they've changed it in recent years, I didn't like the seat shape of the FJR1300.  It's very wide and the edges aren't generously radiused, so the cut into my inner thigh.  After like an hour, my legs hurt.

I was actually really surprised by how good my Ninja was at gobbling highway miles.  I did an 800 day ride and really didn't experience much, if any, discomfort in my legs, back, wrists, or shoulders.  Granted, that was with a gel seat and a pair of padded cycling shorts...
Needs more Jiggawatts

Speed_Racer

Yeah I've heard those Ninja 1000/Z1000 bikes are unexpectedly comfortable over long distances.