Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

giant_mtb

FoMoJo

Aren't they supposed to go to the top of the hill? :confused:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2017, 08:14:48 PM
Aren't they supposed to go to the top of the hill? :confused:

I think the whole point is that it's ridiculously difficult/nearly impossible.  I haven't seen a video yet where anybody made it.  I've seen some get really close, but never complete.

And, like ski flying, it's more about who can get the farthest than about who can get to the top.

FoMoJo

I was kinda hoping that someone would make it past that rocky area before I gave up watching it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2017, 08:37:53 PM
I was kinda hoping that someone would make it past that rocky area before I gave up watching it.

It's rare.  That's usually the part where everyone gets fucked.  Very few make it any appreciable distance past that, and those are the ones that probably are winners.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2017, 08:39:03 PM
It's rare.  That's usually the part where everyone gets fucked.  Very few make it any appreciable distance past that, and those are the ones that probably are winners.
The view from the middle/top gives a good perspective of the steepness of the hill.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2017, 08:50:52 PM
The view from the middle/top gives a good perspective of the steepness of the hill.

Yeah, it's nuts.  Would not want one of those bikes tumbling down at me.

CaminoRacer

I'm kinda thinking about selling my bike. I just don't ride it very often.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 14, 2017, 03:36:59 PM
I'm kinda thinking about selling my bike. I just don't ride it very often.

But will you miss it when it's gone? 

CaminoRacer

Idk. Probably not. I could always get something else.

giant_mtb

Hey, if you wanna get rid of it, you wanna get rid of it.  Just sucks if you have the urge to ride and you can't.

How often you been riding?

CaminoRacer

Once every few weeks.

Parts availability is a big potential issue that I don't like. The old Suzukis don't have nearly as much support as old Hondas. Other than that, I don't have time to wait for the carbs to warm up every morning. Fuel injection would be nice.

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 14, 2017, 05:17:40 PM
Once every few weeks.

Parts availability is a big potential issue that I don't like. The old Suzukis don't have nearly as much support as old Hondas.

Harley. Just sayin' J+P has most everything.

CaminoRacer

I'll probably just ride it tonight and fall in love with it again. :lol:

Cookie Monster

Guise.

I don't want to get rid of my bike now that it's all fixed up and pretty.

Wat do.

I'm tempted to get a helmet and just keep riding. I still have all my other gear, and my Aerostitch held up reasonably well in my last crash so I'll just keep using it. It's just got some scuffs and scrapes on it, but that just gives it character.  :lol:

I might get the stitched fixed in the future (if they can) but it's still fine to ride with now. The itch is too real. :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Had an (unusual for a weekend this year) nice day with minimal chance of rain and with me having no other plans.  Decided to take the bike and do something I've, surprisingly, never done in either a bike or a car:  drive the original 6.6 mile Watkins Glen GP Circuit.  Most of it is pretty high speed with gentle sweepers only a couple of sharp corners.  I still am not sure I could fathom tackling it flat out in a car made circa 1950.  It is narrow in spots, particularly a railroad underpass.  It also wasn't entirely paved way back when.  There was a roughly 3/4 mile stretch that was dirt road and much of the rest was just crushed stone and oil.  Actually, some of it is still crushed stone and oil today...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on July 16, 2017, 03:57:44 PM
Had an (unusual for a weekend this year) nice day with minimal chance of rain and with me having no other plans.  Decided to take the bike and do something I've, surprisingly, never done in either a bike or a car:  drive the original 6.6 mile Watkins Glen GP Circuit.  Most of it is pretty high speed with gentle sweepers only a couple of sharp corners.  I still am not sure I could fathom tackling it flat out in a car made circa 1950.  It is narrow in spots, particularly a railroad underpass.  It also wasn't entirely paved way back when.  There was a roughly 3/4 mile stretch that was dirt road and much of the rest was just crushed stone and oil.  Actually, some of it is still crushed stone and oil today...

That sounds really fun!
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

I feel bad. Haven't ridden in weeks, despite the great weather. HID setup on the bike is giving me problems and I don't like riding without a headlight, even in the daytime, mainly for visibility. Gonna ditch the HID and probably go with the Philips H4 LED bulb. I don't ride at night... just need to be seen. Gotta take advantage of this weather while it lasts... just bought a new summer jacket too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2017, 02:37:18 PM
I feel bad. Haven't ridden in weeks, despite the great weather. HID setup on the bike is giving me problems and I don't like riding without a headlight, even in the daytime, mainly for visibility. Gonna ditch the HID and probably go with the Philips H4 LED bulb. I don't ride at night... just need to be seen. Gotta take advantage of this weather while it lasts... just bought a new summer jacket too.

Hmm does Obamacare not cover critical eye care?

I've found people can see me on my bike at night here in Canadia  :hmm:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

IT's different out here in the sticks. I imagine Toronto being a lot like NYC which was basically like daytime at night. Down here it gets legit dark. Took me a while to get used to it being pitch black in our yard when we moved in. Just not enjoyable or worth the risk

12,000 RPM

Ha, just remembered... here is exactly why I don't ride at night down here. Vid of my test run with the new headlights. If you look close you can see what I saw at 1:27 or so:

https://youtu.be/EFBzaGvWZCQ?t=83

RIP ears of headphone users.

giant_mtb

Deer don't even hear me coming.  Just saw two on a ride earlier.

Gotta-Qik-C7

HIT A SKUNK MYSELF SATURDAY NIGHT.  :rage:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2017, 07:54:52 PM
IT's different out here in the sticks. I imagine Toronto being a lot like NYC which was basically like daytime at night. Down here it gets legit dark. Took me a while to get used to it being pitch black in our yard when we moved in. Just not enjoyable or worth the risk

In the city yeah you could almost read a damn book just standing outside  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2017, 02:37:18 PM

I need to upgrade my light as well. Can't decide if I want to do that or springs next.

(Yes that means I'm not selling it. Decided to stop being a bitch and rode to work today)

Speed_Racer

I downgraded one of my headlights. Previous owner put in a LED bulb and a modulator...it just flashed every oncoming driver with unfocused light. Glad that's off.

Short first month review of the DL: it's so comfy at freeway speeds and I love how different it feels compared to the SV. It accelerates quicker than it feels thanks to the wind protection, not as sharp while cornering (obvioiusly), and a really touchy clutch. But my body appreciates the riding position after a couple hours.

There are lots of little upgrades to do. More aerodynamic mirrors are in the mail to cut down on buffeting. Taking it to Yellowstone this upcoming weekend as its first big ride. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on July 18, 2017, 04:13:15 PM
I downgraded one of my headlights. Previous owner put in a LED bulb and a modulator...it just flashed every oncoming driver with unfocused light. Glad that's off.

Short first month review of the DL: it's so comfy at freeway speeds and I love how different it feels compared to the SV. It accelerates quicker than it feels thanks to the wind protection, not as sharp while cornering (obvioiusly), and a really touchy clutch. But my body appreciates the riding position after a couple hours.

There are lots of little upgrades to do. More aerodynamic mirrors are in the mail to cut down on buffeting. Taking it to Yellowstone this upcoming weekend as its first big ride. 

:rockon:

I need a highway bike. Cafe racer es no bueno for more than 30 min above 65 mph.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 18, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
:rockon:

I need a highway bike. Cafe racer es no bueno for more than 30 min above 65 mph.

It makes everyday riding way more relaxing - comfortable and tons of space to store stuff!

Cookie Monster

My parents are super against me riding... I don't even know why. They don't know about my crash in March so to them I just stopped riding because I was too busy.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on July 18, 2017, 08:34:36 PM
My parents are super against me riding... I don't even know why. They don't know about my crash in March so to them I just stopped riding because I was too busy.

How did you explain the broken bones?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5