2006 Lexus GS 430

Started by BMWDave, July 25, 2005, 06:08:46 AM

BMWDave

July 25, 2005

Link

Test Drive:
2006 Lexus GS 430
Review and photos by Russell Purcell

Toyota's Lexus division has totally reworked the GS line-up for 2006. Not that the original Giugiaro-penned design was lacking style or substance, but it was competing against a growing list of better-equipped automobiles in the swollen luxury sedan ranks.

Big muscle, refined ride

I was fortunate to book the more powerful GS 430 for my week long test, as I had yet to experience the renowned driveability of the new 4.3-litre DOHC VVT-i V8 engine.

Despite its luxurious trappings, the GS 430 is definitely a driver's car. With 300 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque, the GS 430 will hold its own against arch rivals like BMW's 545i, Audi's new A6 4.2 or Infiniti's M45. Lexus claims runs from 0-100 km/h will take a mere 5.7 seconds, a number that will embarrass a lot of so-called 'sports' cars.

An all-new 6-speed automatic gearbox (Super Electronically Controlled Transmission) with sequential manual shift capabilities is the only transmission offered, but even the enthusiast driver will enjoy this slush-box. Its operation is silky smooth as it goes about its business. If the driver wishes to select his own shift points, the ergonomic shift lever can be used as a manual with fore and aft activation.

The GS 430 builds momentum quickly and with authority as throttle response is immediate. The car 'intelligently' predicts what you plan to do based on the computer's record of your inputs. The same can be said for the steering as the GS 430 comes equipped with VGRS active steering (Variable Gear Ratio Steering) which monitors both steering inputs and vehicle dynamics to assist the driver during cornering.

But while acceleration is important for bragging rights, handling is the true measure of a well-engineered automobile. I found its handling exceptional for such a big car. Both the wheelbase and track have been lengthened, but the result is a new sense of stability. The double wishbone front suspension is partnered with a multi-link set-up in back, giving the car a much improved ride. While not as hard-edged as say the BMW or M45, the chassis still inspires confidence when the car is driven to its performance potential.

The suspension is so well engineered that even when equipped with big alloy wheels and low profile performance tires it never negatively interfered with comfort or traction, even when travelling on poorly maintained road surfaces. The adaptive variable shock set-up is superb. It allows the driver to customize the car's ride (shock and spring rates) based on changing road conditions or intended use - read: well-dampened cruise to the opera, or hard-edged track day. At the touch of a button, the driver can choose from sport, normal or comfort modes.

The ride is smooth and quiet as the refined chassis excellent insulation keep noise levels to a minimum. However, when you punch the gas pedal in anger, the 4.3-litre V8 growls like only a V8 can, generating a sporty exhaust note in your wake.

The GS 430 is rear-wheel drive so the driving experience is as pure as one can get in this day and age of front-wheel drive sedans and gargantuan sport utility vehicles.

Well aware that high fuel prices and traffic congestion often conspire to deter consumers from ordering a V8, Lexus also offers the GS 300. Under its hood you will find an all-new 3.0-litre V6, dishing out 245 hp and 230 lb-ft of torque. This car can be had with equipment levels similar to those found in the GS 430, but can also be ordered with all-wheel drive.

Safety

The GS 430 has been loaded with a host of electronic driver aids. These include adaptable variable shock absorbers (right from the LS 430's parts bin), traction control, "hill start assist", advanced anti-lock brakes with electronic brake force distribution and brake assist. All of these systems work together under the umbrella of something Lexus calls Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), sort of an electronic lifeguard for when you may be getting in over your head. Unfortunately there is no switch to turn all these features off, so horseplay is out of the question.

You've seen the ads, but until you experience Lexus' Adaptive Front Lighting System, you won't believe it makes that big a difference. As you turn the steering wheel your headlamps project their Xenon beams up to 15 degrees in the direction of travel. This proved invaluable on unfamiliar back roads where street lamps and lane markers tend to be afterthoughts.

Lexus offers an innovative emergency braking system which comes into play when using the radar-assisted cruise control. This system is called Pre-Collision System (PCS) and uses the radar to monitor the distance and closing speed of approaching cars. The PCS will quickly alter the suspension settings for optimum braking performance and automatically steps in with Brake Assist if the system's computer determines that a collision is imminent and unavoidable. The seat belts of front occupants will also tighten before final impact. Sounds like a valuable option if utmost safety is your concern.

In the event of a collision or roll-over, the GS 430 is equipped with a host of airbags, including next-generation units up front backed up by knee bags. Seat-mounted side units protect the front seat passengers while front and rear side curtain units deploy to protect all occupants.

Bumper-mounted sensors front and rear announce your proximity to other cars or obstacles when parking or navigating tight spots. Lexus also offers an optional rear view camera system which utilizes the driver information/navigation screen as a viewer. Visibility is excellent all around, but if you have kids the camera may be worth the extra bucks.

An electronic tire pressure monitor is standard fare on all GS models, and it actively monitors all four wheels, sending a warning message to the driver if any (or all) of the four tires are in need of service.

Comfort redefined.

Leather seating surfaces are soft to the touch but the seats underneath offer excellent comfort and exceptional support. The driver and front passenger seats benefit from power adjustability and offer both heating and cooling capabilities.

The GS is a roomy automobile with seating for five adults. Passengers in all five positions will find abundant leg, hip and shoulder room, but taller passengers (say 6' plus) might like a bit more space, especially in the rear compartment where the sloping roofline drops dramatically. I stand 6'2" and often wear a hat, and at no time did I feel that I was in a pinch when it came to space. Run me through a cloning machine and fill the car however, and I might have reason to complain.

The driver's seat is infinitely adjustable so finding the perfect position with regards to visibility, reach and pedal travel (power adjustable of course) is a breeze. I found all the switchgear and controls easy to use and within easy reach, though the small retractable panel that houses the controls for some of the electric accessories (including the mirrors, park assist, rear window screen, and trunk and fuel release switches) was obstructed by my leg.

For such a large car the trunk has some interesting dynamics. It offers 430 litres of cargo room but is somewhat hampered by the intrusion of the rear wheel wells, which greatly narrows the compartment. The rear seats do not fold down, but there is a pass-through for skis or long items. All four doors offer storage cubbies, the front seat backs have pockets, and the centre console features a sizeable bin underneath the armrest.

Styling

While the 2006 GS 430 (and its little sister, the GS 300) are all-new, the car's shape and styling cues reflect those of its forbearer. The car represents the brand's first model to carry what Lexus calls L-Finesse design elements, a stylistic wave that will sweep through the company's line-up and help Lexus stand out from its many rivals.

The car is larger all around but so are many of its buyers, so the increased passenger and cargo space is good news. The new look is elegant but sporty, as the car's aerodynamic form is a combination of wind-cheating curves and muscular bulges. Gone are the almost boy-racer elements of the previous car.

The car looks uncluttered but its wide stance, stretched wheelbase and big 18-inch wheels suggest this car is all business. The cabin stretches rearward with a slight taper at the rear, which when viewed from behind almost gives the car the appearance of being a hatchback design. While not svelte, the car does feel nimble when carving your way through the twisties.

Inside and out, fit and finish is impeccable, and the quality of the plastic, wood and metal interior pieces are equal to any in the automotive world.

Goodies

The test unit I spent the week with was loaded as are most Lexus models, with the exception of the DVD-based navigation unit and the rear backup camera. Both these systems utilize the driver information screen which occupies the centre stack in all GS models. This touch screen also allows the user to quickly make adjustments to both the audio system as well as the dual zone climate control.

The GS comes equipped with a high-power 6-disc CD/AM/FM audio system complete with cassette. This top-notch system feeds ten perfectly-matched speakers to create an outstanding listening chamber. Secondary controls mounted to the steering wheel let you control the audio system without taking your hands off this luxurious ship's rudder. Audiophiles can also order the stupendous Mark Levinson audio system with its fourteen speakers, a masterpiece of audio engineering that has trickled down from the LS 430.

The latest trend with high-end automobiles seems to be keyless operation. Lexus calls their system Smart Access. As you approach the vehicle the system's computerized brain senses the remote fob you carry, automatically unlocking the door for speedy entry. The system will perform the opposite function upon exit, locking the doors and setting the security system.

Conclusions

If you want to feel like you have arrived, I suggest you take a drive in the all-new GS 430. This totally redesigned luxury sport sedan offers a well-balanced blend of safety and performance in a very stylish wrapper, and when compared to its German rivals, is somewhat of a bargain.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I had never noticed just how bland those gauges were. And I've never been impressed with the styling of the rest of the interior either, it's simply not dressed up enough for the price, especially considering its competitors. Most people spend more time seeing their interior than touching it.

BMWDave

I happen to think they are not that bad...although BMW's are certainly sportier, and MB's certainly more luxurious looking.

(I'm referring to the 5 and E sedans)

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

There are midsize sedans with more-attractive gauges than that. There are even economy cars with nicer gauges than that.'

^Pretty nice, eh? Clean, yet attractive, from a rather unlikely source of clean, yet attractive. It's too easy for a GTCC, but I'll give you three guesses here wtihout checking the URL.

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Not a Mazda3. Two guesses left.

BMWDave

By far, and I mean by very far, the nicest, most exquisite guages I have ever seen.

Not a guess....just my personal favorite B)

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

QuoteThere are midsize sedans with more-attractive gauges than that. There are even economy cars with nicer gauges than that.'

^Pretty nice, eh? Clean, yet attractive, from a rather unlikely source of clean, yet attractive. It's too easy for a GTCC, but I'll give you three guesses here wtihout checking the URL.
Not really no, they look massivley cheap-o to me. But then again this is all opinion, and not fact, so to each their own.  :)

I personally happen to think that the new GS has a very nice looking set of gauges. In general I am impressed with the car, including the interior.  B)  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

ifcar

Those fools, they put them backward. :rolleyes: :P

BMWDave

QuoteThose fools, they put them backward. :rolleyes: :P
Only the tachometer rotates counter clockwise.

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

There is an equally good pic of the gauges in the GS. The pic from the article is pretty poor. Clearly done with a digital camera with the ISO setting all wrong.  <_<  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

ifcar

QuoteThere are midsize sedans with more-attractive gauges than that. There are even economy cars with nicer gauges than that.'

Not really no, they look massivley cheap-o to me. But then again this is all opinion, and not fact, so to each their own.  :)

I personally happen to think that the new GS has a very nice looking set of gauges. In general I am impressed with the car, including the interior.  B)
The GS gauges look plain, and strikingly similar to old GM mainstreamer units.

ifcar

Right, the speedometer's just sideways.  :P

Cosmic, I think the difference between the two GS pics is that the original is taken with the car off and the new one you posted is taken with the car on and the gauges lighted. It does make a difference, but I still dislike that interior.  

ifcar

Oh, and it doesn't look like you're going to continue guessing the econobox gauges that I posted, so I'll just tell you that they're from the Suzuki Aerio. Suzuki has some other nice ones, the Vitara/XL7's aren't half bad either:

cozmik

Right, the speedometer's just sideways.  :P

Cosmic, I think the difference between the two GS pics is that the original is taken with the car off and the new one you posted is taken with the car on and the gauges lighted. It does make a difference, but I still dislike that interior.
I disagree with the old GM thing, but okay.

In both cars the gauges are lighted, in the original the car is actually on (as evidence by the tach) where as the Lexus image the car is off. The problem with the original is poor photography.

And man does that Impala interior bring back bad memories... ::cringes::

ifcar

Either that, or Lexus doctored their image. ;)

And you don't see the similarity between those Lexus and GM gauges? Same font, same markings.

cozmik

QuoteEither that, or Lexus doctored their image. ;)

And you don't see the similarity between those Lexus and GM gauges? Same font, same markings.
And Suzuki didn't?  :rolleyes:

And the font is different. Compare the number 6 in both of them for example. Markings are diff too. The Lexus has a total of 3 marks inbetween each "10" where as the GMs have 9 or 11, I can't count for sure. Even the shape is different, with the ones in the Lexus being more of a complete circle and the GM's being more half-circle-ish.

ifcar

And the font is different. Compare the number 6 in both of them for example. Markings are diff too. The Lexus has a total of 3 marks inbetween each "10" where as the GMs have 9 or 11, I can't count for sure. Even the shape is different, with the ones in the Lexus being more of a complete circle and the GM's being more half-circle-ish.
Of course they aren't identical, but they are definitely similar.  :rolleyes:

And yes, probably every manufacturer plays around with their press photos to make the cars look as good as possible. That doesn't mean that someone else achieving a lesser result did a poor job.

cozmik

And yes, probably every manufacturer plays around with their press photos to make the cars look as good as possible. That doesn't mean that someone else achieving a lesser result did a poor job.

Please point out what you find similar. Other than the fact that the corners of the font are rounded, and there are only like 6 billion different fonts with rounded corners, I see nothing similar. Even the layout is different.

But genuinely, they just don't know how to work their camera. For starters, look at all the digital noise in the photograph. That's what I am talking about when I say it was a poor job. The exposure, the unnecessary noise, even the shaprness (or lack of depending on where you are looking). But by far the biggest issue I have with the photo is the noise. I could do a better job with my little $500 Panasonic.

ifcar

Please point out what you find similar. Other than the fact that the corners of the font are rounded, and there are only like 6 billion different fonts with rounded corners, I see nothing similar. Even the layout is different.

But genuinely, they just don't know how to work their camera. For starters, look at all the digital noise in the photograph. That's what I am talking about when I say it was a poor job. The exposure, the unnecessary noise, even the shaprness (or lack of depending on where you are looking). But by far the biggest issue I have with the photo is the noise. I could do a better job with my little $500 Panasonic.
Find me another set of gauges from a premium car that you think is more similar to those GMs. I've already explained why I think they're similar, they share a near-identical font that's rarely seen anymore, and have more markings than most gauges have anymore.

And I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the photography jargon that you're using. What is "noise" in a photo, glare?

cozmik

That font is completely different dude. Look at the 8, the 6, the 0 or 1 even. They are different and share no more than any other fonts do.

I can't get a good image from the TL, but here is the best I could find, and once again, there is a "similar" font.

cozmik

In terms of the noise, if you look at that picture of the gauges specifically, you'll see, well, noise. I'll get my camera out when I get home from work and take two pictures, one with the settings set correctly for the conditions, and the other not, and then you'll see. I have never been good with giving definitions.  :P  

ifcar

QuoteThat font is completely different dude. Look at the 8, the 6, the 0 or 1 even. They are different and share no more than any other fonts do.

I can't get a good image from the TL, but here is the best I could find, and once again, there is a "similar" font.

Similar font, but you'll notice a mark only ever 5 mph, compared to the crowded-in markings on the Lexus and GMs.

I'm waiting for another car with both.

cozmik

Okay, now that I have it rephrased...

The GM speedos go up in 10 MPH increments and the Lexus goes up by 20s. That itself is a huge difference.

In any case, I a will not be doing in more searching to try to prove you opinion wrong, as it is opinion. It is one I do not agree with and I feel I have supported my agruments sufficiently at this point.  Besides, I proved you half wrong in that you said the font that is "similar" in both is hardly ever used, and there in the TL, it is used. I can come up with more examples as well. Take a look at Volvo and the font is once again "similar"

ifcar

There are no extra markings between the 5 mph marks. Look more closely, you're seeing 5 mph marks between unmarked 10 mph increments.

Also, those guages have that metal/metal-look rim around them, something that both the Lexus and GMs lack (but I personally like, and is found in the Aerio).

cozmik

QuoteThere are no extra markings between the 5 mph marks. Look more closely, you're seeing 5 mph marks between unmarked 10 mph increments.

Also, those guages have that metal/metal-look rim around them, something that both the Lexus and GMs lack (but I personally like, and is found in the Aerio).
I know, that is why I Edited my post before you replied.

And the increments themselves are one of the downfalls of your arguement. The GM is 10, the Lexus is 20. And a metal look ring is a major difference? How about the metal face of the lexus gauges then? Versus the cheap plastic of the GM.

ifcar

QuoteThere are no extra markings between the 5 mph marks. Look more closely, you're seeing 5 mph marks between unmarked 10 mph increments.

And the increments themselves are one of the downfalls of your arguement. The GM is 10, the Lexus is 20. And a metal look ring is a major difference? How about the metal face of the lexus gauges then? Versus the cheap plastic of the GM.
If you'd edited it before I replied, I wouldn't have seen it. You edited before I finished replying.

And the increments issue is not "my downfall". Most current cars have increments only at every 5 mph, while the Lexus and the GMs have more.  

cozmik

If you'd edited it before I replied, I wouldn't have seen it. You edited before I finished replying.

And the increments issue is not "my downfall". Most current cars have increments only at every 5 mph, while the Lexus and the GMs have more.
If you can nit pick about inbetween the 5 MPH markers, then I can point out that the Lexus goes 20, 40, 60, etc, wehere as the GM goes, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.

ifcar

That's because it's a Canadian model, and the numbers have to go much higher.  

cozmik

QuoteThat's because it's a Canadian model, and the numbers have to go much higher.
No, its not. The picture I posted of the gauges is of a US model, and guess what? 20 mph increments.