BMW's Bold New Z4 Strategy Revealed

Started by BMWDave, July 26, 2005, 06:26:04 AM

BMWDave

BMW's Bold New Z4 Strategy Revealed
Date Posted 07-25-2005

MUNICH ? In light of plummeting sales of its current Z4, BMW is pulling ahead the face-lift of its roadster and adding a coupe version.

The coupe could be shown at September's Frankfurt show but won't be in showrooms before next summer.

The Z4 has been anything but a roaring success. After a promising start in 2002, demand soon began to crumble. By 2003, the crumbles turned into an avalanche. Last year, production was scaled back drastically from 56,589 to 35,136, and in the first five months of 2005, production was cut by another 28 percent.

If the coupe/hatchback for 2006 is well received, the next-generation Z4, dubbed E89 and due in 2009, will again spawn a fixed-head derivative. The E89 is about the same size as today's Z4 but is likely to wear a less controversial design with a wider track and more dynamic proportions. Beneath the skin, insiders predict such options as active steering, adjustable dampers, and the new twin-clutch transmission that is due to replace the sequential M gearbox. BMW's controversial iDrive is all but guaranteed.

Sources say BMW plans to offer four direct-injection engines: a 185-horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder; a 231-hp, 2.5-liter straight six; a 321-hp turbocharged 3.0-liter six; and a high-revving normally aspirated 4.0-liter V8 that could develop 449 hp.

What this means to you: Might BMW finally have a worthy competitor to the Porsche Boxster and Mercedes SLK?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

The roof looks bloated and tacked-on. A coupe ought to have a smooth roof, and this doesn't come close to having one.

BMWDave

QuoteThe roof looks bloated and tacked-on. A coupe ought to have a smooth roof, and this doesn't come close to having one.
I agree, though its just a chop.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

No reason not to make it look attractive. The 645Ci proved that BMW isn't that dumb.

R33 GT-R

They need to fix this car in general, Bangle didn't pull this one off very well to me.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

The convertible looks nice in person IMO, though it looks too wide in pictures.

GMPenguin

QuoteNo reason not to make it look attractive. The 645Ci proved that BMW isn't that dumb.
This is a bad chop though, they just tacked on a 6-series roof it looks like.  I don't think there is anyway they would make it look like that, the rear comes up square and the top doesn't go with the car, they modeled around the windshield instead of the actual car.

ifcar

It does look as though an unrelated roof is just sitting on top of a Z4 convertible. No effort whatsoever was made to integrate it near the back of the car.  

SJ_GTI

I know the Z3 is a bit retro, but its still one of the best looking modern roadsters. The Z4 was dynamically better than the Z3 in almost every respect...but it never looked as good.

At least that is my opinion.  :praise:  

ifcar

What would you have done when redesigning the car?

SJ_GTI

QuoteWhat would you have done when redesigning the car?
Give it the Z4 mechanicals, but the leave the sheet metal about the same (couldn't be exact as the Z4 is a bit bigger than the Z3). Maybe update a few of the design details (headlamps, taillamps). But the Z3 was not a car that looked bad, so the total redo that the Z4 was very unnecessary IMHO.

Admittedly as a former Z3 owner I am probably a bit biased, but I have heard alot of other people say the same thing. The Z4 just looked too weird for conservative customers (which alot of BMW customers are, at least that's my impression from talking to fellow owners when my Z3 was getting serviced).

ifcar

In a redesign, you can't just change the mechanicals. The market tends to demand that the latest design look new. That's the problem BMW faced, they tried to find a way to make it look new. And I agree that they should have, though they arguably should have gone a different route.

BMWDave

QuoteWhat would you have done when redesigning the car?
Give it the Z4 mechanicals, but the leave the sheet metal about the same (couldn't be exact as the Z4 is a bit bigger than the Z3). Maybe update a few of the design details (headlamps, taillamps). But the Z3 was not a car that looked bad, so the total redo that the Z4 was very unnecessary IMHO.

Admittedly as a former Z3 owner I am probably a bit biased, but I have heard alot of other people say the same thing. The Z4 just looked too weird for conservative customers (which alot of BMW customers are, at least that's my impression from talking to fellow owners when my Z3 was getting serviced).
The Z3 had a bit of a chick car persona, sort of like the last generation Mercedes SLK.  They needed to make a more masculine car, and they ended up with the Z4.  Its the best looking roadster on the road now, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe Z3 had a bit of a chick car persona, sort of like the last generation Mercedes SLK.  They needed to make a more masculine car, and they ended up with the Z4.  Its the best looking roadster on the road now, IMO.
I am not sure why you think that. Actually as I think back probably 90% of the other drivers of Z3 were male. When you drive a Z3 you tend to stop and talk with other owners, which I always thought was pretty cool. It was like being part of a little club.  :lol:

I never had anyone tell me the car seemed feminine. The most common remark from non-car people was a reference to my Z3 as the "James Bond" car (I think he drove one in a movie, but honestly I never watched James Bond flicks).

BMWDave

QuoteThe Z3 had a bit of a chick car persona, sort of like the last generation Mercedes SLK.  They needed to make a more masculine car, and they ended up with the Z4.  Its the best looking roadster on the road now, IMO.
I am not sure why you think that. Actually as I think back probably 90% of the other drivers of Z3 were male. When you drive a Z3 you tend to stop and talk with other owners, which I always thought was pretty cool. It was like being part of a little club.  :lol:

I never had anyone tell me the car seemed feminine. The most common remark from non-car people was a reference to my Z3 as the "James Bond" car (I think he drove one in a movie, but honestly I never watched James Bond flicks).
He did drive it once in a movie.  And back in the late 70s, all BMW owners were like that :lol:   They all stopped to thumbs up each other (owners of 2002s).

I have heard that it wasnt manly enough though.  

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

QuoteI have heard that it wasnt manly enough though.
Huh, not sure what you a referring to honestly.

It was not a brutal sports car like a Vette or Viper. It was very comfortable, but was a little twitchy on uneven road surfaces. But overall it was a great car with phenomenal steering/chassis feedback. Not as  "pure" as a Miata but it was more practical and more refined. Power was adequate with the I6's, though the I4 was a little underwhelming.

mazda6er

If the coupe is priced below 40K, I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em. I'd prefer an exterior refresh though. The hood (to me) shouldn't be quite that long.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteIf the coupe is priced below 40K, I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em. I'd prefer an exterior refresh though. The hood (to me) shouldn't be quite that long.
It does look rather elongated on the coupe, doesn't it?

BMWDave

QuoteIf the coupe is priced below 40K, I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em. I'd prefer an exterior refresh though. The hood (to me) shouldn't be quite that long.
Check out this chop:

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Check out this chop:

That looks a little better. It seems to have a good deal of Z3 mixed in.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Now it looks like there's a giant hood on a normal-sized car body. Only a Mercedes SLR can get away with proportions like that.

Raza

I love the Z4, styling and all.  It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.  And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.  I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.  I prefer manual tops.

Considering how poorly it's selling, they may be willing to play ball on it...I think the Z4 might make it to my garage soon.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI love the Z4, styling and all.  It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.  And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.  I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.  I prefer manual tops.

Considering how poorly it's selling, they may be willing to play ball on it...I think the Z4 might make it to my garage soon.
I guess since it has a open top the Z4 is a bonda fide sports car :lol:

Seriously, though, I do think they will play ball for a Z4.  But How much can you spend?  You surely wont be able to get a new one for less than about 30 grand.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteI love the Z4, styling and all.  It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.  And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.  I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.  I prefer manual tops.

Seriously, though, I do think they will play ball for a Z4.  But How much can you spend?  You surely wont be able to get a new one for less than about 30 grand.
I should be able to replace the Passat in a few months (come winter time) and then my old 55K cap is reinstated.  My reward for giving up the Mercedes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI love the Z4, styling and all.? It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.? And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.? I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.? I prefer manual tops.

I should be able to replace the Passat in a few months (come winter time) and then my old 55K cap is reinstated.  My reward for giving up the Mercedes.
You can get a Boxster S for 55 grand too.  You could get a Caterham, or a Lotus Elise.  You have a lot mroe options if its a 55K price cap.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteI love the Z4, styling and all.  It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.  And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.  I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.  I prefer manual tops.

You can get a Boxster S for 55 grand too.  You could get a Caterham, or a Lotus Elise.  You have a lot mroe options if its a 55K price cap.
The Z4 is my favorite in the segment.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI love the Z4, styling and all.? It's always been a faster and near equal handling car compared to a Boxster of the same price.? And as for the Mercedes SLK, even the Z3 was dynamically superior to the first generation, and the second is missing a lot fo the things that the Z4 has to make it a real sports car.? I just with the power top was a stand alone option on the Z4 instead of standard on the 3.0 and a part of the 2.5's luxury package.? I prefer manual tops.

The Z4 is my favorite in the segment.
Its my favorite styling wise as well.   :)

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

The fact is that I can get more power out of it easily, the maintenance program of BMW is unmatched, it looks great, with it's rakish long hood, short deck design.  It's a true roadster in line with the cars that I hold dearest to my heart.  The Boxster is all that, but more expensive and not as cheap to own.  Plus, I'd love to smoke guys in standard Boxsters who think they've got a monster under their right foot.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteThe fact is that I can get more power out of it easily, the maintenance program of BMW is unmatched, it looks great, with it's rakish long hood, short deck design.  It's a true roadster in line with the cars that I hold dearest to my heart.  The Boxster is all that, but more expensive and not as cheap to own.  Plus, I'd love to smoke guys in standard Boxsters who think they've got a monster under their right foot.
What do you have in mind to get more power?

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteThe fact is that I can get more power out of it easily, the maintenance program of BMW is unmatched, it looks great, with it's rakish long hood, short deck design.  It's a true roadster in line with the cars that I hold dearest to my heart.  The Boxster is all that, but more expensive and not as cheap to own.  Plus, I'd love to smoke guys in standard Boxsters who think they've got a monster under their right foot.
What do you have in mind to get more power?
Some intake and exhaust work, and as a last resort, an AA supercharger (if it will fit).  I don't need much more power, I could do with under 300 at the crank.  If the new 255bhp 3.0 liter finds its way into the Z4 soon, getting some more power won't even be very necessary, as the car will already shoot to 60 in about 5 seconds.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i