Sonata not really any cheaper than the rivals

Started by crv16, July 26, 2005, 12:24:00 PM

crv16

Priced out a Sonata LX with pkg 3 (sunroof and 6 cd changer)

MSRP = $24,895

Compare this to Accord EX V6, which has a MSRP of $27,365, and Camry XLE V6, which has a MSRP of $28,130.

So yes, comparing MSRP's, the Sonata is significantly cheaper.

However, when you look at real world selling prices, it comes down to this:

Sonata LX (pkg 3) = $23,137
Accord EX V6 = $23,312
Camry XLE V6 (SAB & VSC, preferred accessory pack) = $23,502

All prices from my local no haggle dealer (hon/toy/ford/hyundai):  http://www.autofair.com

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

giant_mtb

Give me the Accord if those are the real prices. ^_^

TBR

The Sonata just came out, of course its real world price is going to be closer to that of the Accord and Camry than its msrp is. Wait until the '06 Accord comes out and then make comparisions, otherwise it isn't fair.  

TBR

QuoteGive me the Accord if those are the real prices. ^_^
I'll still take the Sonata, it is the better car imho.  

bobwill

I have to admit, between those three cars, I'd be torn between the Accord or the Sonata.  If I was stuck with a sedan it would probably be the Hyundai, if you through in the Accord Coupe instead I'd go for that. ;)
I personally quite like the interior of the Accord, and think the Coupe has nice exterior styling.  So, I'm wierd, I admit it. :D

crv16

QuoteThe Sonata just came out, of course its real world price is going to be closer to that of the Accord and Camry than its msrp is. Wait until the '06 Accord comes out and then make comparisions, otherwise it isn't fair.
Yes, that's a valid point.

Even when comparing 2006 models, I bet the gap will be far less than $2,000.  

I don't think Hyundai has enough brand equity yet to be pricing themselves so close to the established mainstream leaders.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

TBR

They aren't pricing themselves close to "established mainstream leaders", the customer is. Do you expect them to make their dealers sell their cars for 2k under msrp or something?

crv16

QuoteThey aren't pricing themselves close to "established mainstream leaders", the customer is. Do you expect them to make their dealers sell their cars for 2k under msrp or something?
Sure they (Hyundai) are setting the price.  Right now, my local dealer is selling the Sonata at a $1700 discount off MSRP.  There's obviously no rebate or dealer incentive that the Camry & Accord have.

Hyundai has has remarkable success lately.  They are obviously trying to transistion from the "value" brand they had been to one that can go head-to-head with the segment leaders.  I question that strategy.  When I have $24,000 of my hard earned cash to put down on a car, I'd be much more likely to put it on a more established brand.  The Sonata is good, perhaps as good as a Camry or Accord, but it still has not had enough time to establish that it has durability of a  Camcord.  The real world pricing difference is only a few hundred bucks.  A few years down the road, resale values are likely to be thousands apart.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

ifcar

There is a very logical reason for this difference, Honda is currently clearing out its 05 inventory while Hyundai is just bringing its out. When both 06s have been on the market for about six months, I'd expect to see a larger-than-MSRP price difference, not the other way around.  

crv16

High end Accords and Camries have been selling at a $3,500-$4,500 discount off MSRP for quite a while.  It's not just a year end thing, at least not at my local dealer.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

ifcar

QuoteHigh end Accords and Camries have been selling at a $3,500-$4,500 discount off MSRP for quite a while.  It's not just a year end thing, at least not at my local dealer.
You think that the Accord and Camry will sell well below sticker but the Sonata won't?  

TBR

The Sonata is brand new, you can't expect it to be as heavily discounted as two sedans nearing the end of their product cycles.

bobwill

QuoteHigh end Accords and Camries have been selling at a $3,500-$4,500 discount off MSRP for quite a while.  It's not just a year end thing, at least not at my local dealer.
You think that the Accord and Camry will sell well below sticker but the Sonata won't?
Well, he says his dealer isn't giving any breaks on them right now.  That will change if sales don't take off.

NomisR

Well, when accounting for the resale values of the vehicle, the Accord/Camry will still be the better buy than the Sonata.  

ifcar

Oh, you have data on the predicted resale value of the 06 Sonata, and it says that when selling the car you will lose $2,500 compared to the Accord or Camry?

TBR

He may not, but I do:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/hyundai/so...9;3'%20/%3E

However, as I have said time and time again, resale value can't be considered that big of a factor when deciding what is a good deal and what isn't, if it could then MBs would be the best deals around despite their bloated prices simply because they have stellar resale value.  

NomisR

QuoteOh, you have data on the predicted resale value of the 06 Sonata, and it says that when selling the car you will lose $2,500 compared to the Accord or Camry?
What TBR said.  

But anyways, what makes Hyundai's a good deal to buy would be their 10 year warranty.  The thing that's a turn off is their non-transferable 10 yr warranty.

ifcar

QuoteHe may not, but I do:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/hyundai/so...9;3'%20/%3E

However, as I have said time and time again, resale value can't be considered that big of a factor when deciding what is a good deal and what isn't, if it could then MBs would be the best deals around despite their bloated prices simply because they have stellar resale value.
That shows Sonata MSRP against the others' TMV. Not exactly a fair initial price comparison.   <_<  

TBR

Except the Sonata is going for MSRP. the others aren't. So, it actually favors the Sonata.

ifcar

No, the difference between initial price and resale value would be less otherwise.  

TBR

Not for the Sonata it wouldn't. And, those aren't msrps anyway, they are purchase prices and include sales tax for my area (8.25% I believe).  

ifcar

The Sonata's is an MSRP, the others' are TMV prices. And what do you mean it wouldn't? If the car sells for $22,000 instead of the $24,500 sticker, the "what it will be worth" price won't change, but that's a $1,500 difference accounted for in depreciation that is really just a lower price paid.  

TBR

QuoteThe Sonata's is an MSRP, the others' are TMV prices. And what do you mean it wouldn't? If the car sells for $22,000 instead of the $24,500 sticker, the "what it will be worth" price won't change, but that's a $1,500 difference accounted for in depreciation that is really just a lower price paid.
The Sonata's msrp is the same as its invoice right now.  

TBR

Also, I see nothing indicating that that isn't the tmv price.

ifcar

QuoteThe Sonata's is an MSRP, the others' are TMV prices. And what do you mean it wouldn't? If the car sells for $22,000 instead of the $24,500 sticker, the "what it will be worth" price won't change, but that's a $1,500 difference accounted for in depreciation that is really just a lower price paid.
The Sonata's msrp is the same as its invoice right now.
What???

ifcar

QuoteAlso, I see nothing indicating that that isn't the tmv price.
Their current Sonata TMV price IS sticker price, meaning only that they don't have enough data yet to determine a real True Market Value.  

ifcar

This is the MSRP price on the pricing page you provided: $24,895 (fully loaded)
This is the price on the pricing page you provided: $24,395
This is the TMV price on the pricing page you provided: $23,981

So the price they listed wasn't their current TMV price, but it wasn't sticker either.

BTW, when I was just test-driving a Sonata, I was offered without asking a price more than $500 below sticker.    

R33 GT-R

I would hope so Iffy, you should have been offered 1500 under sticker.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

QuoteI would hope so Iffy, you should have been offered 1500 under sticker.
Their official no-haggle Internet price is about $2,000 below sticker for a fully-loaded LX model, and about $1,700 for the base GL.