17 (43.6%)
No
19 (48.7%)
I dunno
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2008, 10:37:20 PM
What part of my response sounds like that Hounddog?  I re-read it and nothing stands out as like a "child yelling at his parents".  
You know what, I am not going to have this debate this I have decided.  Those of us who chose to believe try to present our side without denegrating the opinion of  those who do not, while those you who do not call us all sorts of names like "christian right wing nutjobs"  "backwards" and "scare mongers."   

We attempt to debate the topic in a civil and decent manner, but it never fails, like the other liberals of the world the anti-christians cannot have a civil debate.  The order of the day for your sect is to yell your opponents into submission.  I have neither the time nor inclenation to get into yet another lengthy, and ultimately, the single biggest waste of time in which I can partake.  I wish you luck with whatever your beliefs are.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Soup DeVille

To be fair Houndog, I've heard more than one christian become unhinged when having this discussion.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hounddog

While that may be true, it is not the norm as opposed to the other side. 

I would venture a guess that most of those times, the Christian started off in with a proper approach but after meeting the immediate name calling and and other tactics used they lost their temper. 

It happens, which is why I am walking away from this topic before I lose mine.  I thought there could be a civil debate, but I guess that is too much.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Payman

Who's "anti-Christian"? And all non-believers are liberals?   :huh:

Minpin

No I do not. And I hate people that look down upon me because I don't. Especially people in my own immediate family.

I just think it's ridiculous to believe that there is a "higher power". This is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWBzhRhPr4

I don't care that people believe in God, that is their choice. Just don't hate on people who feel different than you do.  :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Minpin

Quote from: Payman on September 14, 2008, 11:19:48 PM
Who's "anti-Christian"? And all non-believers are liberals?   :huh:

I'm Republican.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Payman

Onslaught

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2008, 10:47:21 PM
Someone needs to take a chill pill. Why don't you try to look at this from the Christian point of view instead of just from your own?

The Christian POV is that every life is God ordained, this makes life especially sacred to Christians and promotes the idea that life begins at conception. So, to a Christian, abortion is murder. They are not trying to take a woman's rights away; they are trying to protect the rights of a baby. I understand your POV so please attempt to understand mine.
I get that. But they should just keep it to themselves. I don't believe in God and I don't need people who do telling me what's right or not.
If they think it's wrong then they shouldn't get one. But that in no way gives them the right to tell others they can't.

And one funny thing for me is most of them are against paying taxes that help the kid after it's out. So you must bring the kid into the world but after that it's on it's own. How would God feel about that one?

Onslaught

Quote from: hounddog on September 14, 2008, 11:19:08 PM
While that may be true, it is not the norm as opposed to the other side

I would venture a guess that most of those times, the Christian started off in with a proper approach but after meeting the immediate name calling and and other tactics used they lost their temper. 

It happens, which is why I am walking away from this topic before I lose mine.  I thought there could be a civil debate, but I guess that is too much.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Or in my part of the country it's not like that. Just the other day I was getting my ass handed to me by someone who found out that I don't believe.
And I'd never bring it up at a place like work on the fear that I'd lose my job. The last person who said they didn't believe was gone the next week.

I don't ask people to say grace at the dinner table like they do when I'm over. I think next time I'll thank science for everything. See how that works out.
I don't try and change peoples views on the subject.
I don't walk from door to door giving out pamphlets telling people about what I believe. And how if you don't agree you'll burn in Hell.
I don't make a big deal if a politician doesn't say "God bless America" at the end of every speech.
I don't make a big fuss that my State requires you to go see a Preacher 2 times before you can get married for counseling.

Raza

I don't get humanity's need to be controlled and have its freedoms taken away.  And god was a lovely explanation for the things that happened that seemed unexplainable. 

Knowledge should have replaced god.  No god turns the sun on like a lamp.  No god created you. 

People cling to god like a child to a blanket.  It's a convenient safety net that people use to comfort themselves when people die or when things go wrong. 

I don't believe, and I pity all who do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

No.  I was born and raised a Catholic with church every Sunday possible.  I never really grasped the belief in any of it, and "came out" to my parents about 3 years ago that I do not believe in God.  They were surprised, but they honestly have unconditional love for me, and now my religious views are joked about, but not in a condescending or hurtful way.  Just simple things like "sooo, do you want to get up for church tomorrow morning, Christopher?".  We'll all laugh knowing what the answer to that question is.

I also find that there is no real difference between those that do and do not believe in God.  I'm just as happy as the believers.  And as much as they might tell me that they're happier than me, I just tell them that I'm probably happier 'cause I'm not constantly "serving" some unknown being. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on September 14, 2008, 11:11:25 PM
You know what, I am not going to have this debate this I have decided.  Those of us who chose to believe try to present our side without denegrating the opinion of  those who do not, while those you who do not call us all sorts of names like "christian right wing nutjobs"  "backwards" and "scare mongers."   

We attempt to debate the topic in a civil and decent manner, but it never fails, like the other liberals of the world the anti-christians cannot have a civil debate.  The order of the day for your sect is to yell your opponents into submission.  I have neither the time nor inclenation to get into yet another lengthy, and ultimately, the single biggest waste of time in which I can partake.  I wish you luck with whatever your beliefs are.

Your team tells everyone else's team that they're going to hell.  That's a bit more childish than yelling.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

You need to get out of the bible belt... I never did bother talking about religion with anyone while I was in NC :lol:

I saw an interview with Matt Damon on our movie channel here on AFN about this, he had a cool answer to a bland question:

Interviewer: "If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?"

Matt's answer is at 6:38 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPT3q0Wq9as
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

On campus, there are a few preachers who have the job of standing outside and preaching to the students about the errors of their ways.  Some yell and talk about how our drinking and fucking will buy us eternal hellfire, and others are more intelligent and mild mannered.  Sometimes I enjoy listening to them while I smoke (the mild mannered one, the Willard preacher, isn't all that awful) for the comedy factor.  But then again, there are the long-haired idiots who run around trying to argue with him about the Bible (which is stupid, the Bible is kind of his job) and it makes atheists look bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 15, 2008, 06:28:58 AM
You need to get out of the bible belt... I never did bother talking about religion with anyone while I was in NC :lol:

I don't care that people believe whatever makes them feel good. But I get mad when they try and make me believe the same thing. And if I remember correctly that's on of the things that Christians believe, you should try and go out and make others Christian.
I also don't like it when the Preacher gets up and says "vote for this party or go to Hell." I don't need fear and lack of education getting people to make a choice that will effect me.

I get "the look" from two groups of people when they find out I don't believe or want what they do.

One is Religious people and a majority of them are Christians.
And the others are Parents. When they find out I don't want kids and I'm serious about it.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on September 15, 2008, 06:20:20 AM
I don't get humanity's need to be controlled and have its freedoms taken away.  And god was a lovely explanation for the things that happened that seemed unexplainable. 

Knowledge should have replaced god.  No god turns the sun on like a lamp.  No god created you. 

People cling to god like a child to a blanket.  It's a convenient safety net that people use to comfort themselves when people die or when things go wrong. 

I don't believe, and I pity all who do.

:hesaid:

Don't believe, never have. Thor would crush me with the mighty hammer Mjolnir for being such a wuss.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on September 14, 2008, 11:11:25 PM

Are you serious?  Did you read my post or just glance over it?  The "yelling" was me parodying the Democrats when it comes to a candidate who is pro-life.  I was in no way claiming to be the one doing the yelling.  In fact, I even stated that it pisses me off when people start the whole "abortion" argument because it's nothing but a red herring.  People act like Sarah Palin will actually have some influence and banning abortion is her #1 item on her list.  I stated that it pisses me off that abortion is even an issue because banning will never happen. 

Read my post again with the thought in your head that Hemi is parodying the left wingers and it will all make sense to you.  Oh and in case you haven't noticed, I'm a conservative.

ChrisV

You might describe me as a Deist. Much like many of our our Founding Fathers. ;)

"Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

"Benjamin Franklin wrote in his autobiography, 'Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist.'"
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2008, 10:12:50 PM
If he is real, then he's one sadistic fuck.

Why would God be the sadistic fuck? I would think us humans deserve that title more.

93JC

Well, it follows that if Yahweh is all-powerful, all-knowing, etc. then he/she/it would be able to prevent all of the bad things that happen in the world. Or, through action or inaction on Yahweh's part, bad things happen.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 10:11:44 AM
Why would God be the sadistic fuck? I would think us humans deserve that title more.
If god created man in his own image, then he created war mongers, rapists, murderers, child molesters, and cannibals...among other things like AIDS and Cancer.  Whenever I bring these things up to Christians, they say it's because god gave us Free Will.  Really?  Free Will?  Did the victims have Free Will?  I don't think a two year old girl who gets raped and murdered had much Free Will in the matter.  

hotrodalex

Quote from: 93JC on September 15, 2008, 10:30:44 AM
Well, it follows that if Yahweh is all-powerful, all-knowing, etc. then he/she/it would be able to prevent all of the bad things that happen in the world. Or, through action or inaction on Yahweh's part, bad things happen.

Or maybe he wants to let us live life how it should be, and not just have a free ride.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 10:50:23 AM
Or maybe he wants to let us live life how it should be, and not just have a free ride.
So we should be afraid to let our children go to his church where one of his representatives might molest him/her, and then have his church try to cover it up?  I don't think so.

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 15, 2008, 10:31:38 AM
If god created man in his own image, then he created war mongers, rapists, murderers, child molesters, and cannibals...among other things like AIDS and Cancer.  Whenever I bring these things up to Christians, they say it's because god gave us Free Will.  Really?  Free Will?  Did the victims have Free Will?  I don't think a two year old girl who gets raped and murdered had much Free Will in the matter.  

People have free will to do what they want. Do you agree with that?

Now, sometimes that involves taking away other people's free will and rights. Do you agree with that?

If someone does take away a person's free will and rights, they are punished. Do you agree with that?

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 10:58:35 AM

Now, sometimes that involves taking away other people's free will and rights. Do you agree with that?

If someone does take away a person's free will and rights, they are punished. Do you agree with that?
What about the victim?  You're forgetting about the victim...just like your god.  Have youe ver known someone who was molested as a child?  They are fucked up.  I have never known a child victim to be a normal adult.  They have any number of the following problems:  Trust issues, addictions, suicidal tendencies, homicidal tendencies, a string of abusive relationships, etc.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 10:58:35 AM

So many questions, so few answers...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 15, 2008, 10:50:23 AM

So you're saying all the bad things in life should happen because that's what Allah wants to happen.

I don't get how that doesn't make her a pretty nasty deity.

omicron

I realised the other night that I'm off to hell for various reasons, so I thought it best just to keep on misbehaving to keep up appearances.

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 15, 2008, 11:00:22 AM
What about the victim?  You're forgetting about the victim...just like your god.  Have youe ver known someone who was molested as a child?  They are fucked up.  I have never known a child victim to be a normal adult.  They have any number of the following problems:  Trust issues, addictions, suicidal tendencies, homicidal tendencies, a string of abusive relationships, etc.

I'm not forgetting them. I feel sorry for them and want to do everything I can to help them. What else can you really do?