El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 14, 2014, 10:46:26 PM
No DOT certified fog light kit is going to be worth a tinker's dam.

For regular hi-low I'd prefer something certified. DOT, E-code, whatever.

My sealed beam low beams are actually pretty decent now after I upgraded the wiring. Never have trouble seeing at night.

Rupert

Yes, you need need need to use certified lights. Otherwise they're probably dangerous to other drivers or yourself. However, the DOT specifications are much different and much worse than the ECE (E-code) specs. Less defined cutoffs and more scattered light are specified as part of the DOT.

Like I said, you should read Daniel Stern before upgrading lights.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

I did more light testing. Definitely aimed at the ground 20-25 feet in front, blinding brightness if you stick your head on the ground. But they still produce enough light far away to work as decent high beams without blinding other drivers. Best of both worlds! Magic lights.

280Z Turbo

I've gotta figure out a lighting solution myself. Headlights glassed in behind the grille don't work well.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 18, 2014, 11:12:05 PM
I did more light testing. Definitely aimed at the ground 20-25 feet in front, blinding brightness if you stick your head on the ground. But they still produce enough light far away to work as decent high beams without blinding other drivers. Best of both worlds! Magic lights.

No, despite what you might think, either the lows are too dispersed to be good lows or they don't produce enough light to be good highs. Daniel Stern.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

I have regular low beams for that. But now I have cool yellow lights that work decently well for high beams without blinding oncoming cars. Magic lights.

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Damn gremlins are out to get me this week.

First was the exhaust leak. I'm sure that was my fault for taking the car off road and scraping the headers on rocks.

Second was a weird smell - diagnosed as a loose alternator belt thanks to the dummy light on the dash that came on at idle, went away with revs.

Now the things won't start. Carb has absolutely no gas in it, fuel filter looks empty. So I guess the fuel pump decided to take a break. :rage:

hotrodalex

Nah that can't be it, fuel pressure is fine and the small leak on the carb inlet has a little bit of fresh gas on it.. But carb squirts no gas with throttle.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 25, 2014, 01:07:29 PM
Nah that can't be it, fuel pressure is fine and the small leak on the carb inlet has a little bit of fresh gas on it.. But carb squirts no gas with throttle.

That would be a problem with the accelerator pump. Or something else.
Bang on it, is your float stuck up?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

Eye of the Tiger

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 25, 2014, 01:19:42 PM
Nah it's empty

Rub a tube through your vent hole and pump fuel in by hand, just like Richard Hammond did with his water pump.

hotrodalex

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

No.

It has spark. It has fuel at the fuel inlet. Not squirting from the accelerator pumps. But it also won't start with starting fluid. Wtf.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 25, 2014, 10:02:03 PM
No.

It has spark. It has fuel at the fuel inlet. Not squirting from the accelerator pumps. But it also won't start with starting fluid. Wtf.

What did you do?

280Z Turbo

He didn't pull off the carb, I can tell you that.

hotrodalex

I just pulled the top off. Float bowls are full, floats and needles aren't stuck. Pulled the accelerator pump off, blew through it and made sure it wasn't clogged. Put it all back together, the accelerator pumps now squirt fuel. Still won't start.

Put a paper clip in the #4 spark plug wire twice now, sparked both times.

Fuel, spark, battery is now almost dead. Poor guy is strong as an ox but after a total of probably 30 minutes of cranking w/ no recharge, it's getting low.

Gonna hope it magically solves itself overnight. Maybe it's just flooded a bit now. I tried holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and that didn't help, but at this point it's my only guess. 

hotrodalex

On the plus side, I was tinkering with this during the whole party so lots of cute ladies saw me and my sexy car and want to jump my bones now.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 25, 2014, 11:41:06 PM
On the plus side, I was tinkering with this during the whole party so lots of cute ladies saw me and my sexy car and want to jump my bones now.

If you can get the thing running, you might be able to pick one, or all of them up and take them to make-out-point.

Eye of the Tiger

Ohqueso, you have fuel and spark. But how is the timing? You said starting fluid won't even fire it up. Have you had any funny noises? Is there vacuum when you crank it? How many dirty shop rags did you leave in the intake plenum? How is your timing chain/distributor drive/do a compression check.

FoMoJo

So, did it start yet?  Any noise at all?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 26, 2014, 06:35:11 AM
If you can get the thing running, you might be able to pick one, or all of them up and take them to make-out-point.

Can probably fit like 12 in the bed.

hotrodalex

Distributor cap is tight, firing order is correct. Won't really be able to tell timing until it starts...

Don't know how it could lose compression overnight.

All spark plug wires are connected.

Eye of the Tiger

Compression? Does it sound like normal effort for the starter to turn it over? Does the exhaust smell like raw gas? Don't blow it up.

hotrodalex

Turning over is normal.

I got a spark checker light thingy and it was pretty weak. Pulled the distributor cap off and the terminals are kinda corroded. Gonna order a new one. (Stupid auto part stores don't have any in stock)