Edmunds Comparo: AWD Luxury Sedans

Started by ifcar, July 28, 2005, 07:39:23 PM

BMWDave

Why are you only posting links?  Its boring to read an article without pictures :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Bad finish for Lexus.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

One of my friends has an Acura TL (2000) and it has over 260K miles on it.  Its the most reliable car he's ever owned.  Now hes faced with the prospect of buying the TL or the new RL.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteWhy are you only posting links?  Its boring to read an article without pictures :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Bad finish for Lexus.
To be entirely honest, the only reason was that I wanted to make sure I got it posted before you found it. I hadn't even followed the link when I posted it here, I only copied it from C/D. :D

On the subject of the review, I think the placing was entirely fair, though I would have put the Audi behind the BMW myself (not counting the AWD system or the styling as significant factors as they did).

ifcar

QuoteOne of my friends has an Acura TL (2000) and it has over 260K miles on it.  Its the most reliable car he's ever owned.  Now hes faced with the prospect of buying the TL or the new RL.
I suppose trying to save him from a lifelong Acura bias wouldn't change anything, right? You could write an article about him.  :P  

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

QuoteOne of my friends has an Acura TL (2000) and it has over 260K miles on it.  Its the most reliable car he's ever owned.  Now hes faced with the prospect of buying the TL or the new RL.
I suppose trying to save him from a lifelong Acura bias wouldn't change anything, right? You could write an article about him.  :P
:D  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteWhy are you only posting links?  Its boring to read an article without pictures :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Bad finish for Lexus.
To be entirely honest, the only reason was that I wanted to make sure I got it posted before you found it. I hadn't even followed the link when I posted it here, I only copied it from C/D. :D

On the subject of the review, I think the placing was entirely fair, though I would have put the Audi behind the BMW myself (not counting the AWD system or the styling as significant factors as they did).
I actually saw the article well before you did (almost 1 hour ago) but I didnt want to paste 5 pages of material, and you would go crazy if I only posted the link :P  :D  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteWhy no Caddy  STS?
Isn't it V8-only with AWD?

ifcar

QuoteWhy are you only posting links?  Its boring to read an article without pictures :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Bad finish for Lexus.

I actually saw the article well before you did (almost 1 hour ago) but I didnt want to paste 5 pages of material, and you would go crazy if I only posted the link :P  :D
Not for a five-car review that has something like 11 total pages.  ;)  

BMWDave

QuoteWhy are you only posting links?? Its boring to read an article without pictures :rolleyes:? :lol:? :lol:? :lol:? :D

Bad finish for Lexus.

Not for a five-car review that has something like 11 total pages.  ;)
I did that once for a M/T comparo and it was about 7 pages, and you complained about the link ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I must have been grumpy, kidding, or lazy. <_<

BMWDave

QuoteI must have been grumpy, kidding, or lazy. <_<
Probably grumpy :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

The negative points on the Infiniti M35x:

What Needs Work:
Interior uses some questionable materials, mass of dash buttons can be confusing, jittery ride on the highway.
Bottom Line:
If you're more concerned about 0-to-60 times than the quality of the window switches, the M35x makes the perfect all-weather sedan.

Typical Edmunds :rolleyes:

Raza

I don't know, Edmunds reviews never seem to rub me the right way.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

Here is another one about the M35x:

If the right engine is more important to you than chrome around the gauges and soft window switches, the 2006 Infiniti M35x is your winner.

What crap

Tom

QuoteOne of my friends has an Acura TL (2000) and it has over 260K miles on it.  Its the most reliable car he's ever owned.  Now hes faced with the prospect of buying the TL or the new RL.
What is he doing to put on 50,000 miles per year?? :o  

Tom

QuoteHere is another one about the M35x:

If the right engine is more important to you than chrome around the gauges and soft window switches, the 2006 Infiniti M35x is your winner.

What crap
I don't see why that is crap.  It's saying if you prefer performance over luxury you would like that certain car better.

Colonel Cadillac

No, I am saying that if they judge the car on its "soft window switches" there is nothing worth while telling us. Most of us do not care about how good the interior is, and I think people should not just look at the interior materials to judge a car,  if it looks decent there really is no problem. The materials of the M-series are worlds better than the ones in my Volvo, but I cannot care less what they are in the Volvo. What bothers me is the steering is slow, not the crappy materials, that is what  the media should be telling the public.  

JYODER240

QuoteWhy no Caddy  STS?
Isn't it V8-only with AWD?
yep, i didn't realize it was only open to 6-cylinders.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raza

QuoteNo, I am saying that if they judge the car on its "soft window switches" there is nothing worth while telling us. Most of us do not care about how good the interior is, and I think people should not just look at the interior materials to judge a car,  if it looks decent there really is no problem. The materials of the M-series are worlds better than the ones in my Volvo, but I cannot care less what they are in the Volvo. What bothers me is the steering is slow, not the crappy materials, that is what  the media should be telling the public.
The materials are supposedly more important than the design.  That's why everyone loves the GS interior.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

The only confusing thing to me is how did the A6 come in second. I'm not that surprised the RL came in first, although its obviously not the type of car I would choose.

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteThe only confusing thing to me is how did the A6 come in second. I'm not that surprised the RL came in first, although its obviously not the type of car I would choose.
Same with me, as much as I love the Audi being an Audi fan, I thought it would be better in 3rd or 4th place; where the new A6 usually is (which does not mean it is a bad car).  

ifcar

QuoteNo, I am saying that if they judge the car on its "soft window switches" there is nothing worth while telling us. Most of us do not care about how good the interior is, and I think people should not just look at the interior materials to judge a car,  if it looks decent there really is no problem. The materials of the M-series are worlds better than the ones in my Volvo, but I cannot care less what they are in the Volvo. What bothers me is the steering is slow, not the crappy materials, that is what  the media should be telling the public.
I'd say most luxury car buyers DO care about interior quality. What gave you the opposite impression?

ifcar

QuoteNo, I am saying that if they judge the car on its "soft window switches" there is nothing worth while telling us. Most of us do not care about how good the interior is, and I think people should not just look at the interior materials to judge a car,  if it looks decent there really is no problem. The materials of the M-series are worlds better than the ones in my Volvo, but I cannot care less what they are in the Volvo. What bothers me is the steering is slow, not the crappy materials, that is what  the media should be telling the public.
The materials are supposedly more important than the design.  That's why everyone loves the GS interior.
I am very disappointed with the GS myself for its terribly bland styling. If I own a car, I spend more time looking at the interior than touching the dash panels.

Raza

QuoteNo, I am saying that if they judge the car on its "soft window switches" there is nothing worth while telling us. Most of us do not care about how good the interior is, and I think people should not just look at the interior materials to judge a car,  if it looks decent there really is no problem. The materials of the M-series are worlds better than the ones in my Volvo, but I cannot care less what they are in the Volvo. What bothers me is the steering is slow, not the crappy materials, that is what  the media should be telling the public.
I am very disappointed with the GS myself for its terribly bland styling. If I own a car, I spend more time looking at the interior than touching the dash panels.
I don't think the GS is as bland as it is ugly, personally.  Bloated, fat, and ugly.  The interior is stupid as well--looks bad, and even though the plastic is high quality, it's still bloody plastic and if I'm paying 50 grand for a car I'd like to see a bit less plastic, and a little more leather and wood (or aluminum).  They also, in an effort to make the interior less muddled, stowed away several buttons in a compartment, turning every normally one move effort into one that now needs two.  This, like BMW's iDrive, is a failed attempt at simplicity.  When will automakers learn that less is better--simpler is better. One button that does one thing that is clearly marked is simple.  No submenus, no hidden compartments, and no redundant controls are necessary.  Hell, VW put some kind of cruise control control switch that you have to move to a new position before you can use cruise control.  Activate, then use.  It's a two step process.  It should be a one step process.

I'm not saying, however, that I like the Mx interior.  I haven't found many or any Infiniti interiors attractive.  They're too busy trying to be unique that they forget simple ergonomics and attractive design.  The large center console "face" that these cars have make it look unnecessarily busy and plasticky.  Other than the updated G35 interior, I can't say I care for them at all.  Insides are obviously not Infiniti's stong point (neither is, really, outsides.  The G35 and FXx are attractive, but I find the Mx to be bloated as well, and after seeing several in person, my mind has not changed).  I also find no reason to buy the Mx in the first place--the G35 is cheaper and not much smaller, faster, and available with a manual transmission.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I don't understand why someone would want to spend $50k on a RL when for less you could get a M35x or A6 3.2.

ifcar

Is it that much more, comparably equipped?

TBR

QuoteIs it that much more, comparably equipped?
I don't think there is a huge difference, but there is one and I personally consider the RL to be an inferior product to those two cars. I will check the numbers right now.