Tools

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 10, 2005, 08:43:30 PM

JWC

This weekend has been one of those times when I should have stayed in and watched TV. Everything I touched went to hell.

I bought a cabinet to store photo supplies and cameras. One of those kits from Lowes. Instead of using screw in cam bolts, it used one with a plastic insert. Damn thing was wouldn't stand up by itself it was so weak.  Of course, it wasn't until I had it assembled that I read the footnote that stated it must be bolt securely to a wall. WTF!  Anyway, I ended up throwing out all the hardware provided and using long wood screws to put it together.  I had it together in less than an hour originally--then took it back apart...well, it practically fell apart. Then, when I was putting it back together, the screwdriver went dead. I finally finished it at four in the morning.

Then, today, I decided that after two years, I'd finally replace the bar on the towel rack in the main bath. It is one of those made into the ceramic wall tile. Unfortunately, the right side support came off the wall just as I was finishing. Damn thing had been there fifty years and decides today to come apart.
It seems to me I have those days every day...I just sit down a cool off(otherwise i'd get so pissed I would put a 20lb sledge threw the engine block)...then i go back at it yellin and cussin like i was before...then i repeat the whole process
I should remember to take a beer break when something goes wrong. Just a few minutes comtemplating a problem over a beer always seems to work.

VTEC_Inside

QuotePicked up a 1/2inch drive torque wrench, breaker bar, and a 19mm deepwell impact socket today.

Contemplating getting a 3/8 drive as well, probably will.
What brand torque wrench did you get? Did you get the click type or the beam type?

I've been using a 1/2" drive Craftsman beam type for about the past 10 years.
I bought a Mastercraft click type.

I had eyeballing it for a while but it just went on sale so yoink!

Free recalibration for 90days... Lifetime warranty on the tool.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Pancor

Thankfully I now own just about every tool a person could need for anything but specialty-type work on vehicles.  Having two millwright/machinist grandfathers and a machinist father means having a very thourough collection of both mechanic and machinist tools.  Mine are a mix of Gray, Snap-On, Mastercraft, and Craftsman, and Starret.   My favourite out of them all would have to be my Mastercraft Maximum rratcheting box-ends.  Handy as hell!

I also own a handy assortment of pneumatic tools, including 3/8 and 1/2 drive impact wrenches, a 3/8" air ratchet, die grinder, and air hammer.   Now I just have to move back in with my dad so I have a compressor to run them... <_<  

Pancor

QuoteI have very few of my own tools. I borrow stuff from my dad, usually.

Favourite tool? 36mm hex socket. Absolutely the biggest socket I've ever seen let alone used. The socket itself is at least twice as heavy as a socket wrench.
36 mil?   There's a 1" drive socket set somewhere in my pop's garage, and heavy equipment and industrial mechanics  use sockets as large as probably 4" or so!  I had to purchase a 32 mil socket to do something on my 240SX, but I have no recollection of what that was...?

93JC

QuoteI have very few of my own tools. I borrow stuff from my dad, usually.

Favourite tool? 36mm hex socket. Absolutely the biggest socket I've ever seen let alone used. The socket itself is at least twice as heavy as a socket wrench.
36 mil?   There's a 1" drive socket set somewhere in my pop's garage, and heavy equipment and industrial mechanics  use sockets as large as probably 4" or so!  I had to purchase a 32 mil socket to do something on my 240SX, but I have no recollection of what that was...?
Axle nut? Mine was for the Jeep's front axle nuts (had to replace a hub-bearing assembly a couple years ago).

VTEC_Inside

Bought a cheap Craftsman 3/8 drive needle type torque wrench today. $24.

It reads from like 5-75 lb/ft.

I needed it to torque the endlinks on my swaybar.

A ratchet type would have made the job infinitely easier. In the end it was cheaper to lift the car slightly to gain the room, than to pay $100 + Tax for the ratchet style.

L. ed foote

QuoteI can remember sitting on the fender with my feet braced against the engine block as I wrenched away.  Now, I can't even see the engine block on the A6.  And if I could, there's not a hell of a lot I can do without the VAG computer analyzer.  I almost miss ditributer caps, timing lights, and carburetors.....sigh!  Wait - I don't miss tuneups every 10,000 miles and jamming a screwdriver into the carburetor as I shoot starter fluid down the throat while my father cranks the engine endlessly, or perpetual oil spots in the garage no matter how tight or new the car, or, or, or....  Well, you get the picture!  

Long live unserviceable cars that seldom break down!! :lol:
LOL  :lol:

Fuel injection is your friend  :praise:

I spent part of my weekend working on my VW Jetta (A2, for the vee dub freaks).  Pretty simple and easy to work on.  And since it's a 16 year old car, I have plenty of reasons to work on it...

What is it with German cars and electrical gremlins  :angry:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

Run Away

Yeah, I have a 32mm socket for my '88 parts car.
Then I found out I need a 36mm for my '90/'91 because they changed them those years. So I just borrowed the closest imperial socket from a friend and used it instead.

VTEC_Inside

I have a new favorite tool, or rather tools.

I bought a set of bolt extractor sockets today. I spent 3hrs fighting with the bolts holding the rear caliper brackets on my gfs Integra. Long story short, but I have to replace the drivers side rear bracket now.

In the end I used the extractor socket and at first it felt like it was slipping, but it was actually digging in. It just dug in and turned the pos. I was f'ing ecstatic after all the trouble I had.

Anyways its the Mastercraft kit that comes with 5 of the sockets and a case that can hold 10 of them. I plan on getting the remaining 5 (sold as a seperate item, no case) in the future.

These things are a MUST if you ever fight with rusted and seized bolts.

saxonyron

I could have used this set 20 years ago!  When I was doing my 1st valve job on my ancient Chevy 350, the exhaust manifold bolts were absolutely fused in place.  I destroyed 2 wrenches, even using a 6 ft conduit as a cheater, beating the hell out of it with a hammer.  It started turning, but I realized it was the wrench that was twisting.  The solution, after hours of messing around, was to hack off the washers with a hack saw and cold chisel. As soon as the 1st washer popped off, the bolt came off finger tight.  Nothings worse than a 2 hour job turning into an all day nightmare due to having the wrong tools!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

L. ed foote

QuoteNothings worse than a 2 hour job turning into an all day nightmare due to having the wrong tools!
Brother, ain't that the truth
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

QuoteNothings worse than a 2 hour job turning into an all day nightmare due to having the wrong tools!
Brother, ain't that the truth
Absolutely.  Unfortunately, it's happened to me many times, since I'm not too handy, and my collection of tools is limited.  Tools make a big difference.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Run Away

I have a feeling I'm going to be getting more tools this Christmas. The past year, any special occasion I've received tools as gifts.
I've got a toolbox, socket set, screw drivers, wrenches, a hammer, a breaker bar, some pliers/cutters...
I wonder what's next?

dazzleman

QuoteI have a feeling I'm going to be getting more tools this Christmas. The past year, any special occasion I've received tools as gifts.
I've got a toolbox, socket set, screw drivers, wrenches, a hammer, a breaker bar, some pliers/cutters...
I wonder what's next?
Tools definitely are a guy thing.  It's like getting perfume for a woman.

Even though I'm not handy, and have no particular desire to become handy, I still love tools.  I love to walk around a hardware store or the tool department, and look at all the tools, and even buy some.

There's something about the X-Y chromosone combination that makes guys love tools, almost universally.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

VTEC_Inside

My '89 failed etest again which has given me an excuse to buy more tools.

First it was a O2 sensor crows foot. I actually bought the deepwell cut socket stlye as well, but it proved useless. I think it may fit the thermovalves on the car, so I've kept it.

Today I picked up a vacuum pump/guage. A bit more than I would have liked to spend at $80+tax, but I figure the first time I have to bleed brakes it will have paid for itself. It has already helped me determine that the damn coolant bleeder bolt was leaking, and that the car is pulling just about 20 inches of mercury at idle.

footoflead

QuoteI have a feeling I'm going to be getting more tools this Christmas. The past year, any special occasion I've received tools as gifts.
I wonder what's next?
actually i'm hoping i get a couple socket rails for my  tool box...it takes me 15 mins to find the socket i need...i want 4...2 (one 3/8's and one 1/4" drive) for standard and 2 for metric...and mabey something to organize my wrenches :rockon: *crossing fingers
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

I only have metric tools, maybe I'll get some imperial?
I have no need for them though.

VTEC_Inside

I wonder what's next?
actually i'm hoping i get a couple socket rails for my  tool box...it takes me 15 mins to find the socket i need...i want 4...2 (one 3/8's and one 1/4" drive) for standard and 2 for metric...and mabey something to organize my wrenches :rockon: *crossing fingers
Ditto on the need for wrench organizers.

I bought a tool box a couple weeks ago to organize all my "loose" tools.

My socket sets are happy in their cases, but I had all sorts of stuff all over the place.

Now my Antenna kit, extractor sockets, breaker bars, oil filter sockets, etc. etc... all live in the same place.

I think I'm going to buy another box for my wrenches and odd ball socket hardware, oh and my new vacuum pump/guage. :)

As I type this I remember that I also have to find a good home for my screwdrivers, pliers and vise grips.. lol..

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Canadian Tire sales.

footoflead

I wonder what's next?
Ditto on the need for wrench organizers.

I bought a tool box a couple weeks ago to organize all my "loose" tools.

My socket sets are happy in their cases, but I had all sorts of stuff all over the place.

Now my Antenna kit, extractor sockets, breaker bars, oil filter sockets, etc. etc... all live in the same place.

I think I'm going to buy another box for my wrenches and odd ball socket hardware, oh and my new vacuum pump/guage. :)

As I type this I remember that I also have to find a good home for my screwdrivers, pliers and vise grips.. lol..

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Canadian Tire sales.
:lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

I thought about asking for tools for Christmas...but of course I don't "need" them...when actually I do, but hey, my parents know everything about my bike and they know exactly what tools I need and apparently I seem to own all those tools.  I haven't found them yet...  <_<  

VTEC_Inside

QuoteI thought about asking for tools for Christmas...but of course I don't "need" them...when actually I do, but hey, my parents know everything about my bike and they know exactly what tools I need and apparently I seem to own all those tools.  I haven't found them yet...  <_<
You can never own too many tools. :)

I was in Canadian Tire again tonight to get some teflon tape. They had a Jobmate air compressor/tank on sale... muhahahha.. Had to resist that one though. :(

I think I'm getting that 3KO Impact gun/driver for Christmas. Its only 80lb/ft, but I figured since I didn't have a cordless drill yet, it couldn't hurt to ask for one that doubles as a light duty impact gun. :)

footoflead

QuoteI thought about asking for tools for Christmas...but of course I don't "need" them...when actually I do, but hey, my parents know everything about my bike and they know exactly what tools I need and apparently I seem to own all those tools.  I haven't found them yet...  <_<
i get that alot also...only i have lost a tool...gone out and bought a replacement...and then i find the tool i lost...so some sockets i use alot i have about 5-6 of each :D

acutally-last year i got a set of racet wrenches (i love these things) and a nice set of craftsmen screw drivers...i have used them a million times...i wnat some more good tools...a torque wrench mabey...every man needs a good torque wrench

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

We recently got a car lift. Man, it makes changing oil and rotating the tires so much easier. It works good with the air compressor and pneumatic tools.  

Run Away

^ you don't know how jealous I am.....

footoflead

QuoteWe recently got a car lift. Man, it makes changing oil and rotating the tires so much easier. It works good with the air compressor and pneumatic tools.
I wish i was you :angry:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

You don't. We have a lot of tools because we have a lot of equipment. You can't have a 1984 Caterpillar 910 Front End Loader without tools. A lot of the equipment we have is older than dirt. The Cat is 21 years old. Our dump truck is 26 years old, probably shouldn't be on the road. The older they are the more maintenance you have to do. Recently we had to take the cab of the Cat, take out the transmission, put it back in and then put the cab back together. I just helped my brother. I couldn't never have done something like that myself. But I can build a computer with a screwdriver with just a phillips head.

VTEC_Inside

Got the "3KO" as I had expected.

Much smaller than I thought. About the only dissapointment is that they expect you do rely on hex shanked drill bits.

I've done some looking around and there are 1/2inch square drive keyless drill chucks. I'll get me one of those and it'll be all good.

Edit: The tool is natively a 1/2inch square socket drive. It comes with a hex adaptor that slips onto that.

Something like this is what I am now after:

footoflead

Oddly enough i didnt get any tools for christmas...i did however get $75 total, so a quick trip to the bank to deposit the checks and i can get those socket rails i wanted...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

VTEC_Inside

A friend of mine had a great idea for toolboxes.

I can't remember where he said he was gonna get it, but he was going to pick up some foam sheets and cut out openings for his tools. Hes a tool and die apprentice and he can't have his measuring tools bouncing around.

Run Away

^home-made things like that always end up looking like crap, foam is hard to cut cleanly. I'm sure it would fuction just fine though.

I also didn't get any tools for christmas, supprisingly.