Tools

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 10, 2005, 08:43:30 PM

VTEC_Inside

Figured I'd try and get another topic going here.

List the items in your tool collection or what you are looking forward to add to your collection, or both.

Primarily I've got two Mastercraft sets (Yay lifetime warranty), a 80 some odd piece that I tend to carry around with me, and a big 205 piece set that stays at home.

Between those two kits,  I've been able to cover almost everything I've ever had to do to a car.

I also have a set of Mastercraft pliers, screwdrivers, a rivet gun, and metric/imperial wrenches.

A while back I organized all my odd ball tools into one of those metal briefcase type things you can get from home depot. My multimeter, zip ties, butane torch, and pretty much all my other little specialty type stuff goes in there.

My next tool purchases will be torque wrenches. I can't decide on whether to get the 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive first though.

After that, I'm thinking a set of crows feet. I've been in at least 2 situations now where these would have made life much easier.

Maybe some line wrenches too...

Somewhere in there I should probably invest in a half decent tool box for all the stuff lol...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

280Z Turbo

My dad has so many tools I couldn't even think of them all. We have saws, drills, rachet sets, sanders, etc. Everything I need to work on my Z is in the workshop. I'm very lucky! The only problem is that I leave a mess after using all those tools. I would like a Dremel, though.

On a related note, what's your favorite tool?

I love the wire brush attachment for the drill. It's a great way to clean up rusty and dirty parts.

MX793

I work part time in a garage.  I have access to a rather vast assortment of tools (hand and pneumatic).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Favourite tool?

Hmm, thats a tough one. It would be hard to pick. I'd have to say my 79 piece socket set. Its small enough to carry around and I usually accomplish pretty much anything I'm trying to do with that kit and a set of vise-grips.

I also have a dremel and a 4 inch angle grinder, since you mentioned the dremel. :)

I'd love to have access to a garage. Not so much for the hand tools, but a proper lift beats a jack and jack stands (which I also need) any day. I wouldn't mind some air tools, but its not often where I find myself in a position where I would kill for an impact gun. The way over torqued caliper mounting brackets on my gf's car was one of those occaisions, 80 ft/lbs my ass. My guess is that they were closer to 250ft/lbs.

That reminds me, add a 1/2 drive breaker bar to my wishlist.

93JC

I have very few of my own tools. I borrow stuff from my dad, usually.

Favourite tool? 36mm hex socket. Absolutely the biggest socket I've ever seen let alone used. The socket itself is at least twice as heavy as a socket wrench.

BartsSVO

Whew...I'd have a hard time listing everything I have. I've collected a fair number of hand tools over the past 10 years+.

For starters, I have a full set of metric and standard sockets in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives. I also have some 3/4" drive stuff that is useful for removing hub nuts and other super large fasteners. It is a mixture of Crafstman, S/K, Snap-On, Cornwell and Kobalt sockets and ratchets. I got a very nice flex head Snap-On 3/8" drive ratchet for Christmas that is almost a joy to use. I have such a varied assortment because my grandfather gave me most of his stuff from his days working at Ford as an instructor.

Then I have my Craftsman standard and metric combination wrenches. I also have a set of those Crafstman "Quick-Wrenches" that are absolute junk. Only the box end is useful. You can't use the open end of the wrench to hold anything because of the cutout in them. Of course I have an assortment of pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, etc.

Recently I did buy a 60 gallon, 5hp Husky air compressor so I could finally use my air tools again. I currently have just a Craftsman 275 lb/ft impact and a C-H air ratchet although I'm planning on picking up a dual action sander and die grinder soon.

Finally, I've got my 25+ year old 2 1/2 ton floor jack (still going strong!), a 3/4 ton engine hoist, a couple of sets of ramps, jack stands and a 750lb capacity engine stand.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

SargeMonkey

Farorite tool, lets see Duct tape, and a hammer fix all, exept plug wires.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

L. ed foote

I've got one of those big ass Craftsman sets (wrench and ratchets, standard and metric).  I have a set of Husky box wrenches.  

I have an air ratchet, and an impact wrench, but no compressor  <_<

I also have a bunch of allen wrenches, a vice grip, and an assortment of hammers.

I've got chewing gum, bailing wire, and duct tape for the rest.  :lol:

I'm looking to pick up a timing light, as well as an air compressor.  I need a torque wrench too.   A lift would be nice, but I have nowhere to put one.  Same for a motor hoist or stand.

All of which I should be getting once I get settled in from my move.   :praise:  I plan on spending loot on my tool collection
Member, Self Preservation Society

Zcarnut

I have one of those big ass Craftsman sets too! And a Craftsman bit set for my drill.Lets see what else....A Black and Decker "Firestorm" 17 V cordless drill,Skil circular saw,large assortment of various screwdrivers,wrenches,pliers,etc
A few decent fiberglass handled hammers,sledgehammer,and a couple floor jacks.
I have the basics covered but dont have too much as far as "specialy" tools go.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Rupert

My favorite tool is a 4 foot long adjustable wrench, Unfortunatly, I don't have one...

I also have a big-ass Craftsman set. Plus a lot of other stuff, usually not powered.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

My toolset consists of what we have...which is a ratchet set, some screwdrivers, pliers, saws...and that's really just about it.  <_<   It's too expensive for me to buy tools for myself, and my parents won't buy tools for me because they think I don't need them.

Oh and my favorite tool ever is, of course, a Dremel (which I have one of my own :praise: )...I LOVE THAT THING...it's very versatile, it can be used for everything...I sharpen my mom's cooking knives, clean jewelry, sand smaller pieces of wood or metal, drill small holes, drill out rusty screws...and a lot of other stuff!  :rockon:  

Rupert

QuoteMy toolset consists of what we have...
Really? Mine consists of what we don't have. :blink:  
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

QuoteMy toolset consists of what we have...
Really? Mine consists of what we don't have. :blink:
Are you saying you don't have any tools?  <_<   :(  

Rupert

Eh? No... just making a sarcastic remark. Obviously, your toolset consists of what you have... Otherwise it wouldn't be your toolset-- it would be someone else's toolset.  :lol:  

giant_mtb

QuoteEh? No... just making a sarcastic remark. Obviously, your toolset consists of what you have... Otherwise it wouldn't be your toolset-- it would be someone else's toolset.  :lol:
Aye, but now I'm just confused...it happens easily to me.  Actually it's not my toolset...it's my dad's but he never uses it, so I consider it mine.  The only tools I own are a dremel and craftsman robo-grip pliers.  <_<   :P   :rockon:  

VTEC_Inside

Call it silly, but the thought of getting all my tools together for a group photo just popped into my head.. lol..

Too lazy though so....

giant_mtb

QuoteCall it silly, but the thought of getting all my tools together for a group photo just popped into my head.. lol..

Too lazy though so....
DOOOOO IT!  :lol:  :lol:  :rockon:  

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI have very few of my own tools. I borrow stuff from my dad, usually.

Favourite tool? 36mm hex socket. Absolutely the biggest socket I've ever seen let alone used. The socket itself is at least twice as heavy as a socket wrench.
If you think thats big(i use a 36mm for my axle nuts), you should goto a tractor shop sometime.

You see tools that don't look like they are even meant to be used (2" wrenches that are about 2 feet long, probobly weigh 15 pounds).

VTEC_Inside

QuoteI have very few of my own tools. I borrow stuff from my dad, usually.

If you think thats big(i use a 36mm for my axle nuts), you should goto a tractor shop sometime.

You see tools that don't look like they are even meant to be used (2" wrenches that are about 2 feet long, probobly weigh 15 pounds).
Seen a couple of those. They really do look more comical than anything at that size.

Definitely heavy suckers too.

socalcookie

I borrow my dad's tools whenever I need some. <_<
Someday I'll have my own set.

I know a guy who works at our local power plant.  He had me make an attempt to pick up a wrench that was about 2 1/2 feet long, and wide enough to fit around my arm.  With some of the tools they've got there, you could do a complete workout. :P  

Rupert

The bike shop I used to work at had a big wrench like that on the wall. We used it for stubborn bolts and customers. :lol:  

JWC

I don't think I can name a tool that is my favorite. Some that are indispensable maybe, but not anything that is my favorite. I used to work on VWs (air cooled) on the side, so I've got a whole workshop of tools from those days, plus some from my grandfather's tractor garage that he owned in the 1950s.  Instead of putting them away, I put them in with my tools and use them when needed.

The most unusual is my benchgrinder which he had in his tractor garage. Instead of a direct drive electric motor, it uses a motor that looks to be from a washing machine and a V-belt to drive the wheel/grinder assembly.  It is mounted on a huge steel plate torched from an unknown source and together they weigh a ton.

I have a MAC tool box filled with a variety of tools, plus I have an air compressor, torque wrenches, floorjack,  and a bench mounted engine stand for VW air cooled engines. I also have those multi-piece Craftsman kits (the ones in the plastic cases) for each of my cars. Tools that I feel I may need but are not in the cases are in a 1950s-1960s military canvas tool bag I picked up at a military surplus store.  Then, there are the paint guns, regulators etc.  

I think I have as many tools in my cars as I do in my tool boxes.  The funny thing is, when I stopped working on VWs, I stopped working on cars unless I absolutely have to. I'm thinking about another project car, so eventually they'll get some more use.

This is a photo I took some time ago of the nameplate on the front of the benchgrinder.

..and one I took to see if I could capture sparks from the grinding stone. There was a problem as the vibration made my fingers shake and appear "soft". The photos were unusable in my portfolio.

saxonyron

JWC, that sure brought back memories - my Grandfather used to make his own tools using old washing machine motors, etc.  He did mostly woodwork and made a lathe, drill press and a table belt sander out of what looked like Sanford and Son rejects.  They all worked great though.  It must be a trait of the Depression Era upbringing.  My father used to keep old electric motors until recently when he finally realized "what the hell am I gonna do with a 40 pound 3 phase 50 yr old 220V bowling ball sized motor? "

Sadly, I hardly work on my cars anymore.  I'll change the odd lightbulb, but even that gets out of hand sometimes.  I started out doing a couple valve jobs on my 1st car (Grandpa's 1971 Chevy wagon with a 350 V8 in 1982), and spent countless weekends with my father rebuilding carbs, swapping alternators, brake jobs, exhaust jobs, scouring junk yards.  Holy crap - when I think about it, it was the common theme throughout the 1st 20 yrs of my life!  Now, car tools are a socket set, the typical toolbox plyers, screw, hex and star drivers, and my cell phone so I can call the Ford dealer or my indie Audi guy and set up an appointment  :( .  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Tom

There's probably quite a difference between working on an old 350 Chevy and a newer Audi :o  

saxonyron

I can remember sitting on the fender with my feet braced against the engine block as I wrenched away.  Now, I can't even see the engine block on the A6.  And if I could, there's not a hell of a lot I can do without the VAG computer analyzer.  I almost miss ditributer caps, timing lights, and carburetors.....sigh!  Wait - I don't miss tuneups every 10,000 miles and jamming a screwdriver into the carburetor as I shoot starter fluid down the throat while my father cranks the engine endlessly, or perpetual oil spots in the garage no matter how tight or new the car, or, or, or....  Well, you get the picture!  

Long live unserviceable cars that seldom break down!! :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

JWC

I used to hate changing points and condenser on my 1964 Impala. What engineer had the bright idea of sticking the distributor at the back of the engine should have been shot.  By today's standards the car was huge. Even in the 1970s isn't was pretty big. I always had to climb into the engine bay to do that maintenance.

This weekend has been one of those times when I should have stayed in and watched TV. Everything I touched went to hell.

I bought a cabinet to store photo supplies and cameras. One of those kits from Lowes. Instead of using screw in cam bolts, it used one with a plastic insert. Damn thing was wouldn't stand up by itself it was so weak.  Of course, it wasn't until I had it assembled that I read the footnote that stated it must be bolt securely to a wall. WTF!  Anyway, I ended up throwing out all the hardware provided and using long wood screws to put it together.  I had it together in less than an hour originally--then took it back apart...well, it practically fell apart. Then, when I was putting it back together, the screwdriver went dead. I finally finished it at four in the morning.

Then, today, I decided that after two years, I'd finally replace the bar on the towel rack in the main bath. It is one of those made into the ceramic wall tile. Unfortunately, the right side support came off the wall just as I was finishing. Damn thing had been there fifty years and decides today to come apart.

footoflead

i have a kobalt tool box with three draw over flowing...i have about 25 metric/SAE sockets...i can never find the one i need :blink: ....i have about 15-19 wrenches...about 8 of the are speed ratchets wrenches :blink: ...(i love those things  :rockon: )..i have a 3/8 in craftsman ratchetn and a 3in and an 6in extensions...and an 8in adjustabal wrench/hammer... :lol:....i also have a 1/2in 4 breaker bar...and other things i cant or dont remeber every owning...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

This weekend has been one of those times when I should have stayed in and watched TV. Everything I touched went to hell.

I bought a cabinet to store photo supplies and cameras. One of those kits from Lowes. Instead of using screw in cam bolts, it used one with a plastic insert. Damn thing was wouldn't stand up by itself it was so weak.? Of course, it wasn't until I had it assembled that I read the footnote that stated it must be bolt securely to a wall. WTF!? Anyway, I ended up throwing out all the hardware provided and using long wood screws to put it together.? I had it together in less than an hour originally--then took it back apart...well, it practically fell apart. Then, when I was putting it back together, the screwdriver went dead. I finally finished it at four in the morning.

Then, today, I decided that after two years, I'd finally replace the bar on the towel rack in the main bath. It is one of those made into the ceramic wall tile. Unfortunately, the right side support came off the wall just as I was finishing. Damn thing had been there fifty years and decides today to come apart.
It seems to me I have those days every day...I just sit down a cool off(otherwise i'd get so pissed I would put a 20lb sledge threw the engine block)...then i go back at it yellin and cussin like i was before...then i repeat the whole process
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

VTEC_Inside

Picked up a 1/2inch drive torque wrench, breaker bar, and a 19mm deepwell impact socket today.

Contemplating getting a 3/8 drive as well, probably will.

BartsSVO

QuotePicked up a 1/2inch drive torque wrench, breaker bar, and a 19mm deepwell impact socket today.

Contemplating getting a 3/8 drive as well, probably will.
What brand torque wrench did you get? Did you get the click type or the beam type?

I've been using a 1/2" drive Craftsman beam type for about the past 10 years.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT