Driving teens around before it is legal to do so

Started by Colonel Cadillac, July 31, 2005, 03:21:30 PM

Colonel Cadillac

What do you, the cops on this forum, do when you catch a teenager driving another teen around when the teen driving is not yet legally allowed to (the teen has his license, but he has to wait 6 months to drive around friends)? My mom is really mad at me for driving a friend around, and I was just wondering what the legal penalties would be. I have heard many stories where the cops just let it go, does that really normally happen?

Also, what states is there a law that keeps newly licensed drivers from driving friends around for a certain period of time?

Raza

In PA, when I had my license, there was a law like that.  But I'm so old now, I can't remember what it was.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

I'm just pissed off at it because it is illegal for me to drive my friends around all during this summer, and then right in September I am allowed to which is when I can't.  

Raza

QuoteI'm just pissed off at it because it is illegal for me to drive my friends around all during this summer, and then right in September I am allowed to which is when I can't.
Eh, I used to be pissed about the long permit period.  But then I got my license and don't care anymore.  All things shall pass, my young friend.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

I am very strict with this.  I cite the operator for $25 which also comes with a 30 day license suspension.  After the suspension the violator gets that month added to his six months.  The passenger either walks or I arrange a ride for them.  The law is a good one and kids should abide by it because what will happen if the ignorance keeps up is the driving age going to 17 or 18.

Catman

QuoteI'm just pissed off at it because it is illegal for me to drive my friends around all during this summer, and then right in September I am allowed to which is when I can't.
Use the time learning to drive and gain experience and forget about being a taxi.  New drivers are easily distracted by friends in the car.

Raza

Use the time learning to drive and gain experience and forget about being a taxi.  New drivers are easily distracted by friends in the car.
Come on--it's a stupid law.  The parents should set that kind of rule.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

If I had been born 4 days later I would have have to wait another year to get my license. As far as the restricted nonsense goes, I don't care. It is just 6 months and it does make sense.

Raza, once a teenager sits down into the driver's seat of a car the lifes of others are put in danger. Parents have proven that they won't make sure their kids will drive safely and be responsible so the police have to. It shouldn't be that way, but it has to be due to the lack of responsibility in most of today's parents.

Raza

QuoteIf I had been born 4 days later I would have have to wait another year to get my license. As far as the restricted nonsense goes, I don't care. It is just 6 months and it does make sense.

Raza, once a teenager sits down into the driver's seat of a car the lifes of others are put in danger. Parents have proven that they won't make sure their kids will drive safely and be responsible so the police have to. It shouldn't be that way, but it has to be due to the lack of responsibility in most of today's parents.
The same thing happens when anyone gets into a car.  Old people, middle aged, 30 year olds.  People at any age can drive like an idiot.  What they really need is a harder test.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

But kids are more likely to, and I agree that the testing needs to be much, much more rigorous, for people of all ages.

Catman

As someone who has dealt with this directly for 11 years I am going to disagree 110% with you on this.  It's not a stupid law if enforced properly.  Learning to drive is an important responsibility and new drivers have a much higher likelyhood of an accident.  Parents won't set that rule and even if they do they have no clue what their kids are doing anyway.  99% don't even no what goes on with their own computers when they're not looking, sitting in the same room.  By and large I find most parents totally ignorant to anything their teens are doing.

Tom

Raza

As someone who has dealt with this directly for 11 years I am going to disagree 110% with you on this.  It's not a stupid law if enforced properly.  Learning to drive is an important responsibility and new drivers have a much higher likelyhood of an accident.  Parents won't set that rule and even if they do they have no clue what their kids are doing anyway.  99% don't even no what goes on with their own computers when they're not looking, sitting in the same room.  By and large I find most parents totally ignorant to anything their teens are doing.
It's not the lawmakers' place to be parents.  That's what parents are for.  This is the type of charge that leads to moral legislation.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

It's not the lawmakers' place to be parents.  That's what parents are for.  This is the type of charge that leads to moral legislation.
Sorry Raza but the government is going to regulate the motor vehicle how they want.  It's the most regulated piece of property we own, whether you're a kid or an adult.  Mark my words it won't be long before you'll need to be 18 to get a license.    

footoflead

Around here the law is for six months you cant have more than one non-family member under a certain age(dont remeber)and you cant drive past mid-night unless its an emergancy or for a school related activity...I usally dont taxi my friends around unless they chip in a little for the gas ;) ...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

Sorry Raza but the government is going to regulate the motor vehicle how they want.  It's the most regulated piece of property we own, whether you're a kid or an adult.  Mark my words it won't be long before you'll need to be 18 to get a license.
The way things are and the way things should be are often very divergent.  That doesn't mean we don't comment on the way things should be.  

For example:
Gay marriage should be legal.  It isn't.
The death penalty should be used in many more cases.  It isn't.
The age of consent is ridiculously high and should be lowered.  It won't be.
The police force should be scaled back in their powers.  It won't happen.
The morals police should go fuck themselves.  They won't.
The speed limit system should either not exist or better reflect safe traffic flow.  It won't.
The draft age, drinking age, and voting age should be the same.  They aren't.

Get my drift, Sergeant?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

The way things are and the way things should be are often very divergent.  That doesn't mean we don't comment on the way things should be.  

For example:
The speed limit system should either not exist or better reflect safe traffic flow.  It won't.

Get my drift, Sergeant?
If everyone agreed with your viewpoints you'd be all set. ;)  By the way, gay marriage is legal in MA.  Went to a wedding a couple weeks ago. B)  

TurboDan

This is one of those laws where it depends on the officer.  Of the officers I know, they normally do not enforce this law unless the youth involved did something extremely stupid or has an attitude.  Mostly, they feel that the mandatory suspension takes the law too far, and they feel it's generally unfair.

NY was one of the first states to have this type of law, but at the time I first got my license it didn't have passenger restrictions, only time restrictions - which, I must admit, I often did not follow.  

It probably would be a good law if it wasn't for the mandatory suspension.  That's the only part I disagree with, as do some of the LEOs that I know.  As I said, they generally only invoke that if the kid was acting unusually stupidly or was disrespectful.

Raza

For example:

Get my drift, Sergeant?
If everyone agreed with your viewpoints you'd be all set. ;)  By the way, gay marriage is legal in MA.  Went to a wedding a couple weeks ago. B)
Yeah, what should be is a deeply personal thing. But, as we've established previously, I am always right, therefore...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Any issue of public safety is the business of "lawmakers".  

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Michigan is trying to pass a law that all teenagers are not allowed to drive with 2 or more other teens in the car.  Which is fucking bull shit.  That ruins car pools for school for kids that don't have cars, and it will make less room in our school parking lot that is already full.  

I have 2 neighbors that my brother and I sometimes give a ride to school...if this law is enforced, we won't be allowed to take them to school, which can cause problems because how are they supposed to get to school then if they can't get a ride from their house or from us?  :rolleyes:  :angry:  

Catman

QuoteMichigan is trying to pass a law that all teenagers are not allowed to drive with 2 or more other teens in the car.? Which is fucking bull shit.? That ruins car pools for school for kids that don't have cars, and it will make less room in our school parking lot that is already full.?

I have 2 neighbors that my brother and I sometimes give a ride to school...if this law is enforced, we won't be allowed to take them to school, which can cause problems because how are they supposed to get to school then if they can't get a ride from their house or from us?? :rolleyes:? :angry:
The reason the lot is full is because too many spoiled brats have cars. Take the bus. :rolleyes:

R33 GT-R

QuoteMichigan is trying to pass a law that all teenagers are not allowed to drive with 2 or more other teens in the car.? Which is fucking bull shit.? That ruins car pools for school for kids that don't have cars, and it will make less room in our school parking lot that is already full.?

I have 2 neighbors that my brother and I sometimes give a ride to school...if this law is enforced, we won't be allowed to take them to school, which can cause problems because how are they supposed to get to school then if they can't get a ride from their house or from us?? :rolleyes:? :angry:
The reason the lot is full is because too many spoiled brats have cars. Take the bus. :rolleyes:
I'm with you Catman, the super cheese builds character.   :lol:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Tom

I'm with you Catman, the super cheese builds character.   :lol:
Though it doesn't have the "Jedi Porsche Mind Trick" ;)  

Colonel Cadillac

I just watched this show on MTV called "Super Sweet Sixteen" where this girl owns her parents and they spoil her with everything. Anyhoo, when they decided that she was not acting properly, they didn't give her the Range Rover she really wanted, and she started crying. CRYING. Her parents are throwing her a party that costs a pretty good amount, and her mother took her to Paris to pick out a dress for this party. The price tag of this dress: $10,000. I felt like going into the TV and slapping this girl. She deserves shit.

BMWDave

QuoteI just watched this show on MTV called "Super Sweet Sixteen" where this girl owns her parents and they spoil her with everything. Anyhoo, when they decided that she was not acting properly, they didn't give her the Range Rover she really wanted, and she started crying. CRYING. Her parents are throwing her a party that costs a pretty good amount, and her mother took her to Parace to pick out a dress for this party. The price tag of this dress: $10,000. I felt like going into the TV and slapping this girl. She deserves shit.
:lol: Sadly, some parents do that to their kids.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

QuoteI just watched this show on MTV called "Super Sweet Sixteen" where this girl owns her parents and they spoil her with everything. Anyhoo, when they decided that she was not acting properly, they didn't give her the Range Rover she really wanted, and she started crying. CRYING. Her parents are throwing her a party that costs a pretty good amount, and her mother took her to Parace to pick out a dress for this party. The price tag of this dress: $10,000. I felt like going into the TV and slapping this girl. She deserves shit.
That's sick.  Just remember that .00001% of the world has access to that kind of money.

BTW, not to be a spelling Nazi, but "Parace"?  I assume you mean Paris :lol:  

footoflead

QuoteMichigan is trying to pass a law that all teenagers are not allowed to drive with 2 or more other teens in the car.  Which is fucking bull shit.  That ruins car pools for school for kids that don't have cars, and it will make less room in our school parking lot that is already full.  

I have 2 neighbors that my brother and I sometimes give a ride to school...if this law is enforced, we won't be allowed to take them to school, which can cause problems because how are they supposed to get to school then if they can't get a ride from their house or from us?  :rolleyes:  :angry:
The yellow bus :D  :rolleyes: .....Lucky for me my mom teach's at my highschool so even though i dont have my own car yet...i still get to drive to school everyday...unlucky for me...she teach's at my school...so every time i screw up...the AP's just have to hit 3 #'s to reach her :rolleyes:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's