2005 Ford Five Hundred

Started by Tom, July 31, 2005, 08:03:37 PM

Tom

Joe Wiesenfelder
cars.com
May 26, 2005

The Ford Five Hundred's biggest problem is the Chrysler 300, a giant hit. I'm a fan, but I question if the Five Hundred isn't the vehicle with staying power. In the end you want a car that doesn't become dated, that you can live with every day.

You can bet that a few years ago in the design studios of Chrysler and Ford, the 300 was seen as a big risk and the Five Hundred was seen as a safe bet. Ironically, at this point in the American market, fielding a blandly styled vehicle is actually riskier than taking a stand. A J.D. Power and Associates report last year revealed that polarizing car designs sell better than those that evoke no strong emotion in either direction.

Perhaps the Five Hundred's assets will become apparent as furor over the 300 dies down. The Five Hundred is roughly as roomy inside as the 300 and roomier than the Ford Crown Victoria despite being smaller from bumper to bumper.
Exterior Specifications Compared
Chrysler 300 Ford Five Hundred Ford Crown Victoria
Length (in.) 196.8 200.7 212.0
Width (in.) 74.1 74.5 77.3
Height (in.) 58.4 60.1 56.8
Wheelbase (in.) 120.0 112.9 114.7
Curb Weight (lbs.) 3,700 3,643 4,057
Steering Diameter (ft.) 38.9 40.0 40.3
Manufacturer data

The Five Hundred has pleasant ride quality and competent handling. The car's platform is derived from that of Volvo's S80 sedan. Overall I'd say the Five Hundred's ride is similar ? perhaps softer than one finds in European cars but nowhere near the mush we've come to expect from American road barges. The steering improves upon the current S80's numb, somewhat heavy steering.

Models equipped with the optional all-wheel drive include automatic leveling that employs self-leveling rear shock absorbers, which are similar to air shocks but don't require a compressor. When the rear end is loaded and sits too low, the shocks restore the correct level when they rebound after absorbing bumps in the road.

Have you ever climbed into a subcompact car, something like the Chevrolet Aveo, and been surprised by how roomy it is inside? If so, imagine attaching an air hose to it and pumping it up a couple of size classes and you have the Five Hundred. The interior volume is far superior to the current Ford Crown Victoria, which makes up most of the police cruisers and taxicabs in the country. The Five Hundred provides a compromise between cars and sport utility vehicles by locating the front seat cushion 4 inches higher than that of the average midsize sedan. The height improves legroom in addition to the driver's vantage point. The backseat legroom is heroic.

Ford has delivered on its promise of higher-quality interiors. Both the design and the materials quality in the Five Hundred are impressive.

Unfortunately, our preferred resource, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, hasn't crash-tested the Five Hundred at the time of this review. It scored a quadruple-five-star rating in the government tests, which are less reliable (learn why in the Guide to Interpreting Crash Tests). Side-impact and side curtain-type airbags are optional and include the Safety Canopy feature, whereby the curtains deploy in the event of a rollover.

As of its intro, the Five Hundred comes with one engine, the 3.0-liter Duratec V-6, which is rated as follows.
Engine Specifications
Duratec 3.0-liter V-6
Horsepower 203 @ 5,750 rpm
Torque (lbs.-ft.) 207 @ 4,500 rpm
Required Gasoline regular unleaded (87 octane)
Manufacturer data

The standard transmission is a continuously variable type in its first mass-market application. Ford also offers a conventional six-speed automatic on the front-wheel-drive versions of the SEL and Limited, the higher two trim levels. I drove the CVT-equipped all-wheel-drive Five Hundred SEL.

Close behind consumers' styling complaint is one about power. Some say the Five Hundred is underpowered, a term that is too carelessly thrown around. I'd categorize it as modestly powered. The CVT behaves differently than do conventional step-gear transmissions, with a slower launch as the CVT adjusts to maximize acceleration. Many conventional automatics introduce delays of their own in the form of hunting and/or kickdown lag ? it just happens at a different time. For a new technology, the CVT is capable and has logged few complaints.

All the same, if I were to load up an all-wheel-drive model with people and cargo and then take to the hills, I suspect I'd find the power lacking as well. The Chrysler 300 with a 3.5-liter V-6 has more guts, and the 300C with its 5.7-liter V-8 is in another league. I'm often asked if Ford will offer a V-8 in the future. The company doesn't discuss such plans, but I'll be very, very surprised if a V-8 doesn't come along within the next year or so.

I think all-wheel drive is being overhyped and oversold these days ? in part because rear-wheel drive better justifies it. In most urban and suburban areas that have decent snow removal, front-drive cars like the Five Hundred should be just fine, especially when equipped with standard traction control and ABS. That said, if you intend to resell your car in a region where four-wheel drive is valued (rightly or wrongly), you might be better off shelling out the extra cash now for the feature that the next buyer thinks he needs.

Unfortunately, Ford doesn't offer an electronic stability system at this time.

It's not notable for a large car to have a large trunk, but the fact that the Five Hundred's 21-cubic-foot trunk joins a commodious cabin in such a compact shell ? that's notable. Ford conservatively claims the Five Hundred's trunk can hold eight full-size golf bags. Also of note is the split, folding backseat, a feature that remains rare in full-size cars. One drawback to the car's front-drive layout is a towing capacity of 1,000 pounds. The Chrysler 300 can hack 2,000 pounds.

Let the Five Hundred's slow start work to your advantage: Ford has been offering zero-percent financing to some buyers, and factory-to-dealer incentives also have been available at times during the year. Check our Incentives before you buy.

I believe that if the Five Hundred were more interesting looking, it would be a hit. Currently it's a lot like a minivan: roomy and both space and fuel efficient, but not compelling to look at. It's possible that, in time, this model will attract similar buyers ? practical people who don't feel their image is tied to their car.

This guy makes several comparisons between the 300 and 500.  I'm not so sure they are direct competitors for one thing.  The 500 seems more aimes at older, more conservative buyers who prefer comfort and space over power and style.  The 300 looks to attract a younger buyer wanting to drive in style.  In additon 2 of 3 engines offered in the 300 are more powerful than the single engine offered in the 500.

ifcar

The Five Hundred vs. 300 thing has been said and resaid. The 300 V6 is the stylish, trendier car, and the Five Hundred beats it in most other ways.

BMWDave

The 500 is doing very well at the moment, though it certainly isnt a smash hit like th3 300.  I'm waiting for consumer's reaction to the Fusion....I feel that car competes more with the 300.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

QuoteThe 500 is doing very well at the moment, though it certainly isnt a smash hit like th3 300.  I'm waiting for consumer's reaction to the Fusion....I feel that car competes more with the 300.
Really, I'm pretty sure the Fusion is considerably smaller.

ifcar

QuoteThe 500 is doing very well at the moment, though it certainly isnt a smash hit like th3 300.  I'm waiting for consumer's reaction to the Fusion....I feel that car competes more with the 300.
Not at all. The Fusion will be much smaller and significantly less expensive.

Raza

They're priced similarly, sized similarly, and are both available with AWD.  Seems like a pretty close comparison to me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThe 500 is doing very well at the moment, though it certainly isnt a smash hit like th3 300.  I'm waiting for consumer's reaction to the Fusion....I feel that car competes more with the 300.
Really, I'm pretty sure the Fusion is considerably smaller.
The 300 is not so big inside, and the Fusion is not such a small car.  It definitely is more sport-oriented, style-oriented, than the 500.  I just feel it competes more with the 300 than the 500 does.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

QuoteThe 500 is doing very well at the moment, though it certainly isnt a smash hit like th3 300.  I'm waiting for consumer's reaction to the Fusion....I feel that car competes more with the 300.
And have a manual too, I believe/hope.

Tom

Does anyone know after what model year the Taurus will be killed?  Or will it remain as a fleet seller?

BMWDave

I still feel that it has the style needed to compete with the 300, and the 300s main advantage to most is its great style.  The 500 lacks such style.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I could see where you were coming from, but the difference in size and price is just too great for them to be close competitors. Also, the Fusion doesn't look as different as the 300, it just looks like a less-boring midsize.

BMWDave

QuoteI could see where you were coming from, but the difference in size and price is just too great for them to be close competitors. Also, the Fusion doesn't look as different as the 300, it just looks like a less-boring midsize.
I think its the most exciting midsizer out there at the moment.  It definitely isnt bland, and is a nice styling exercise.  The 500 cannot compete with the 300s main point, its style, while the Fusion can.  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

And keep in mind, that Ford, unlike Chrysler, made 2 vehicles instead of one to compete with the 300.  I am just picking which of those vehicles I think, as an individual, competes with the 300 more.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

QuoteI could see where you were coming from, but the difference in size and price is just too great for them to be close competitors. Also, the Fusion doesn't look as different as the 300, it just looks like a less-boring midsize.
I think its the most exciting midsizer out there at the moment.  It definitely isnt bland, and is a nice styling exercise.  The 500 cannot compete with the 300s main point, its style, while the Fusion can.
Are you sure the 300s "main point" is style?  It also packs a monstrous V-8 and brings RWD back.  And if the Fusion is really a competitor to the 300 than the Mazda6 must be too??

ifcar

There is a large difference between attractive/interesting and trendy. The Mazda6 is one, the 300 is another.

BMWDave

Are you sure the 300s "main point" is style?  It also packs a monstrous V-8 and brings RWD back.  And if the Fusion is really a competitor to the 300 than the Mazda6 must be too??
Only 1 version packs the V8 ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

There is a large difference between attractive/interesting and trendy. The Mazda6 is one, the 300 is another.
I find the Fusion styling to be on par with the 300s.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteAnd keep in mind, that Ford, unlike Chrysler, made 2 vehicles instead of one to compete with the 300.  I am just picking which of those vehicles I think, as an individual, competes with the 300 more.
The 300 and Five Hundred are both large sedans, comparably priced. The Sebring and the Fusion are both midsize sedans, comparably priced.

Very clean competition there.

BMWDave

QuoteAnd keep in mind, that Ford, unlike Chrysler, made 2 vehicles instead of one to compete with the 300.  I am just picking which of those vehicles I think, as an individual, competes with the 300 more.
The 300 and Five Hundred are both large sedans, comparably priced. The Sebring and the Fusion are both midsize sedans, comparably priced.

Very clean competition there.
Not so clean.  The Fusion is a styling tour de force, while the Sebring is bland.  The 300 is a styling tour de force while the 500 is bland.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

But it's a different sort of styling.  

BMWDave

But revolutionary in its own way, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

"This guy makes several comparisons between the 300 and 500. I'm not so sure they are direct competitors for one thing. The 500 seems more aimes at older, more conservative buyers who prefer comfort and space over power and style. The 300 looks to attract a younger buyer wanting to drive in style. In additon 2 of 3 engines offered in the 300 are more powerful than the single engine offered in the 500."

The 300 is an old man's car, despite its trendy styling and big power most will likely be sold to the over 40 set.

Tom

Quote"This guy makes several comparisons between the 300 and 500. I'm not so sure they are direct competitors for one thing. The 500 seems more aimes at older, more conservative buyers who prefer comfort and space over power and style. The 300 looks to attract a younger buyer wanting to drive in style. In additon 2 of 3 engines offered in the 300 are more powerful than the single engine offered in the 500."

The 300 is an old man's car, despite its trendy styling and big power most will likely be sold to the over 40 set.
I've seen mostly young slickers in them.  

mazda6er

Sorry Dave, but your argument makes no sense at all. It's like saying the A8 doesn't compete with the 7-series just because one is styled conservatively and the other is Bangle-ized. Manufacturer design does not change the fact that cars of comparable size, price, and body type compete with one another.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

Quote"This guy makes several comparisons between the 300 and 500. I'm not so sure they are direct competitors for one thing. The 500 seems more aimes at older, more conservative buyers who prefer comfort and space over power and style. The 300 looks to attract a younger buyer wanting to drive in style. In additon 2 of 3 engines offered in the 300 are more powerful than the single engine offered in the 500."

I've seen mostly young slickers in them.
I don't think I've seen anyone under 40 in one and my 75 year old grandfather almost bought one.However, a girl that used to work where my brother works drives a Magnum RT and she is in her mid-twenties (now that is a combo you have to love) :lol:  

bajanbuoy

Ifcar how is the 300's styling Trendy?

Trendy in definition is a pre-existing style or fashion, copied to be in-sync with the in-crowd; a follower so-to-speak.

Just because the 300 appeals to many people and is differently styled, certainly does not make it trendy!  Especially when comparing it to the likes of the Mazda6 which is in fact trendy!

I think your personal dis-taste for the 300's styling and general standout-ness (I know it's not a word), sours your judgement.

Indeed the 500 is a fine car, but saying that it is all-around the better car, because it has .9" more room here and 1.1" more room there is a bit much.  

JMO  :)

ifcar

Distaste for its styling? I like the 300's styling. I just consider the car overpriced and unable to stand out against its competitors.

bobwill

I was hanging out with one of my friends, and he decided he wanted to check out the new mustangs, so while at the ford dealership I sat in a 500.  Granted I didn't spend much time trying to get situated, but I couldn't seem to get the seat adjusted in such a way to get much clearance between my knees and the steering wheel.  I expected it to be a lot better than that.  Granted, I have abnormally long legs, and stand over 6'3", but I've fit in compacts better than that.

bajanbuoy

QuoteDistaste for its styling? I like the 300's styling. I just consider the car overpriced and unable to stand out against its competitors.

Overpriced compared to what?  

The 300's problem is that it has no direct true competitors.  There are no mainstream large, RWD, V8 sedans for it to compete with.  The closest competitors for the 300 are the Ford Panther's (which are about 15 years old), GM's Impala/Lucerne/Bonneville trio, none of which are RWD or as quick (save for maybe the Bonny GXP), but also carry huge incentives/rebates all the time (not just during EP times).

So if the 300 seems to be expensive, it's because GM and Ford doesn't have anything comparable, and anything close to the 300's size and power from overseas will be considerably more expensive.  The only car I can see that can be really compared to the the 300 and C is the Avalon, which is no bargain in any sense of the word.  

bobwill

I think the 300 could easily be matched up with the CTS.  Although, the 300 wins that easily as it is quite a bit cheaper.