Want a free Caliber?

Started by SVT666, December 10, 2008, 09:25:48 AM

SVT666

A Chrysler dealership in Quebec, outside Montreal, is having a 2 for 1 sale on cars.  Two weeks ago they had a sale where if you bought a Chrysler 300C, you got a 2009 Caliber for free.  They only had one left at the end of the weekend.

This weekend they are offering a free 2009 Caliber with the purchase of any 4x4 including Jeeps.

Sounds like a pretty shitty deal to me. :lol:

the Teuton

This is what I want Ferrari and Maserati to do when Fiat comes back to the US.  I don't want a crappy Caliber.  I'd rather take all of the sound deadening, stereo, power windows, and foam on the seats out of my car and drive it like that with a piece of aluminum foil in my mouth than own a Caliber.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Even if they were just giving them away, I'm not sure that I would take one;

Tave

You could probably make a couple grand off that deal very easily. Just turn around and sell the Caliber for a ridiculous price. Someone would buy it if you had it listed at 5K.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on December 10, 2008, 09:46:12 AM
You could probably make a couple grand off that deal very easily. Just turn around and sell the Caliber for a ridiculous price. Someone would buy it if you had it listed at 5K.
Yeah.  The only problem is that Chrysler dealers will usually negotiate the price down at least $5000, and with this deal there's no dickering.  You're really no further ahead.

AutobahnSHO

I like the exterior.

Dunno why, I just do.
Will

cawimmer430

Is the Caliber that bad?

I once had the chance to testdrive a Euro diesel Caliber (VW TDI engine) and I thought it was pretty decent (the car). Sure, the interior was pretty plasticky but it didn't feel like it was going to fall apart soon. The whole car felt reasonably well-built too. I don't know, just didn't seem like a bad car to me.  :huh:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

i'd rather have a fuchsia caliper than a free caliber.

:wub:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

If anyone is going to take advantage of this deal and doesn't want the Caliber, I'd be willing to take it. :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 10, 2008, 10:09:02 AM
Is the Caliber that bad?

I once had the chance to testdrive a Euro diesel Caliber (VW TDI engine) and I thought it was pretty decent (the car). Sure, the interior was pretty plasticky but it didn't feel like it was going to fall apart soon. The whole car felt reasonably well-built too. I don't know, just didn't seem like a bad car to me.  :huh:

We love our K Cars and my Augsburg German prof said it was the first car he drove in the US and he hated it with a passion.  (He drives a Z3 in Deutschland)

We all hate the Caliber and you love it.  I don't get it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 10, 2008, 10:09:02 AM
Is the Caliber that bad?

It's terrible.  It is without a doubt the worst car I've ever driven.  The center stack is shaped in a way that your knee has nowhere to rest except on the corner (see picture below), the CVT is the worst CVT I've ever driven (our Freestyle has a great CVT as do Nissans), the seats are horribly uncomfortable, the real world fuel economy was shit, the handling was terrible, the interior materials feel like they were made by Fisher Price, and the steering was somewhat...vague.  Not to mention it's ugly.

Honestly I would take my old 1978 Chrysler Cordoba with a 175 hp 5.9L V8 then the Caliber.

MaxPower

last summer I wanted to rent a car from Enterprise for a long road trip.  When I got there all they had was a caliber (I don't remember what I requested--it wasn't a Caliber though).  So, figuring it couldn't be that bad, I rented it.  Long story short, I returned the car 45 min. later because the first thirty miles sucked so badly I couldn't imagine taking it any further.  My pickup truck was more comfortable and quiet on the highway.  It was a complete and total POS!

the Teuton

Is a brand new design really giving the new-for-1994 Cavalier a run for the money in the refinement department?

Laconian

Oh dear, my parents are in Hawaii and they said their rental was a "Dodge Caliber or similar".

The next time I see them I'll ask them what they thought and refrain from biasing their response the best I can. If they disliked the Caliber then it is officially worse than the Cavalier, which they have rented before and described as "pretty good!" :rage:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2008, 11:33:08 AM
Oh dear, my parents are in Hawaii and they said their rental was a "Dodge Caliber or similar".

The next time I see them I'll ask them what they thought and refrain from biasing their response the best I can. If they disliked the Caliber then it is officially worse than the Cavalier, which they have rented before and described as "pretty good!" :rage:

I have driven a Cavi, and with the exception that my car is louder, older, and certainly more used than the 2004 I drove, I felt as though the car wasn't as smooth or as intuitive, much less as refined.  That being said, by 2004 standards, the car was terrible.

BimmerM3

So I read the first half of this thread thinking "Cobalt" instead of "Caliber," and I was just thinking to myself, "Damn, these guys are being harsh. They aren't that bad at all." But yeah, Calibers really are that bad.

Secret Chimp

I hate Calibers. Ugliest new car since the Aztek.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 10, 2008, 12:42:13 PM
I hate Calibers. Ugliest new car since the Aztek.
A car can be ugly and still be good though (Sam Cassell faced WRX)

Guys,

Suppose you could have a Caliber for free. Like absolutely free. But you HAD to drive it regularly. Would you take it?

Laconian

No, driving the Caliper would be a wasted opportunity to drive a car that I actually enjoy.

hotrodalex

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2008, 12:53:37 PM

Guys,

Suppose you could have a Caliber for free. Like absolutely free. But you HAD to drive it regularly. Would you take it?

No. I'm willing to pay more for a satisfying car.

93JC

If someone offerred me a Caliber for nothing I would accept immediately and drive off before they changed their mind. Anyone who would do otherwise is an idiot. So what if you don't like the car? It's FREE! Sell the damned thing for a profit if you hate it so much you won't drive it.

Laconian

Sporty added the condition that you must be willing to drive it.

280Z Turbo

As long as I could still keep the Focus.

I would beat the crap out of that Caliber.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 10, 2008, 01:27:24 PM
As long as I could still keep the Focus.

I would beat the crap out of that Caliber.
Rallyx! Too bad the awd only comes with cvt
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Yesterday while reserving my rental car for when I go to NF for new year's, they asked me if I wanted to go with the Versa for $169 (5 days), or "move up" to a Caliber for $229. I laughed so hard I almost choked.

3.0L V6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2008, 12:53:37 PM

Guys,

It would be a wonderful winter beater. Also, since it's new, it would need minimal maintenance. Delivery car, perhaps? Make money and drive the life out of the thing.  I'd sell my Saturn for a few grand and buy a summer car, like a Miata.

sportyaccordy

I'm having visions of pieces of plastic coming off the dash over bumps, killing me and my passengers...

Just can't get past that awful interior.

What was the logic behind dumping the successful Neon? In comparison, the Neon seemed like a Godsend.

2o6

Quote from: NACar on December 10, 2008, 01:29:26 PM
Rallyx! Too bad the awd only comes with cvt

It's a defensive AWD........Rear wheels only activate if you're "in trouble".

SVT666

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 10, 2008, 01:55:31 PM
It would be a wonderful winter beater.

No, it's still uncomfortable no matter what season you drive it in.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 10, 2008, 02:22:57 PM
No, it's still uncomfortable no matter what season you drive it in.

It would still be better than the '86 Ranger I used to drive in the winter.