A Family Sedan With Character and Class

Started by BMWDave, August 03, 2005, 05:42:49 AM

BMWDave

A Family Sedan With Character and Class
By Andrew Walker
Date posted: 08-02-2005

Volkswagen wants us to think of the new, sixth-generation Passat as a "marvel of German engineering." That's a debate best left to the engineers. All I know is the 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 is marvelous to drive.

Appropriately, that drive was in Germany, and much of it was spent on the autobahn, an infallible seat-of-the-pants test venue. It measures acceleration, braking, steering and driver comfort like no other public highway. In the wrong car, it can be a very scary place. In the new VW Passat? Piece of Black Forest cake.

After just a few miles of unrestricted autobahn between Wolfsburg and Hannover, the Passat 3.6 showed its mettle as a solid, powerful sport sedan in the best European tradition. And it reaffirmed my contention that the finest cars in the world are engineered just an on-ramp away from the challenges of the world's fastest public roads.

Completely new, from the umbrella holder in the driver door on out, this larger, stronger Passat was built to reflect all the best "traditional VW qualities": a decent value, a fun-to-drive demeanor, and plenty of good old German engineering. It appears to be all of that, but hopefully the 2006 Passat also will avoid being caught in those recent, less agreeable aspects of VW ownership, poor reliability and lackluster dealer service.

More Power
The lineup for the U.S. is comprised of a turbocharged four-cylinder base version and a second model powered by a new V6.

At launch this summer, the 2006 Passat is available with front-wheel drive and VW's new 200-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbo, which is replacing the acclaimed 1.8T in VW and Audi engine bays. It's a terrific engine with lots of torque (207 pound-feet), and mates nicely to a six-speed manual transmission in Value Edition and 2.0T models. A six-speed Tiptronic is optional.

In the fourth quarter of 2005, the 2.0T will be joined by the Passat 3.6, powered by a newly developed narrow-angle V6 with an output of 280 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. It will also be front-wheel drive, and a six-speed Tiptronic will be the only transmission choice.

In the spring of 2006 there will be a wagon version, and the 3.6 will spawn an all-wheel-drive Passat 4Motion toward midyear.

A Return to Value
The MSRP of a base 2006 Passat is $22,950, not including the $615 destination charge. To put its value into perspective, consider that in 1998 the Passat, a far inferior car to the new one, began at $21,300. In today's market, the average price of a midsize sedan is around $25,000. A well-equipped 2.0 with the six-speed Tiptronic still starts at under $25 grand, and when stuffed full of every conceivable option runs to around $32,000.

Entry price for the 3.6 is $29,950. Fully loaded, the cost can run close to $40,000, but that's still a bargain when compared to similarly sized models from VW's German cousins in Stuttgart, Ingolstadt and Munich.

Every Volkswagen Passat comes with an impressive list of standard equipment, including A/C, an eight-speaker CD/MP3/stereo, electronic parking brake, tire-pressure monitoring system, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, rear passenger vents for A/C and heat, 60/40 folding rear seats with pass-through, power outside mirrors, power windows and door locks, anti-theft alarm, cruise control, multifunction trip computer, three auxiliary power outlets, and leatherette seating surfaces.

Passenger safety is covered by a sophisticated mix of active and passive elements: six airbags, crash-active headrests, four-wheel discs with ABS and BrakeAssist, Electronic Stabilization Program, Anti-Slip Program, and Electronic Differential Lock. Additional safety elements include pedals that retract away from the driver in a crash and Daytime Running Lights. Rear side thorax airbags are an option.

More Room, More Style
Although the 3.6s we drove were preproduction cars and heavy rains fell, we were still able to get a sense of the car's improved handling. We noticed the tightness of the platform, a benefit of the new Passat's 56-percent stiffer body structure (best torsional rigidity in class, says VW). Other factors that contributed to the sporty drive are a wider track (by 1.5 inches) and a new suspension, which includes a slick four-link setup at the rear.

The Passat is now larger in every exterior dimension. Overall length and width were both increased by almost 3 inches. The upsizing allows a more spacious cabin, especially for rear passengers, who get 2.4 inches more legroom. Even with a 6-foot-6 person in the driver seat and my 6-foot frame in the seat behind him there was no problem.

Although the trunk is slightly smaller than in the previous Passat, its usable space is now better, as the new rear suspension is more compact and doesn't intrude on the luggage space.

Settling into the new Passat's cockpit is like climbing into a mini Phaeton. The atmosphere is immediately upscale and inviting. From the seating to the sightlines, the Passat gives a feeling of confident control. Materials and fit and finish are class-leading.

Starting the Volkswagen Passat is now done with a "key" that's simply pushed into a slot on the dashboard. This reduces potential leg injuries suffered during a crash from a steering column-mounted ignition switch, and it eliminates one of the most highly stressed components of the vehicle. It's very cool-looking, too. Also gone missing is the emergency brake lever, replaced by a button-operated electronic parking brake.

Blastin' the 'Bahn
A surprisingly deep rumble, sounding much more V8 than V6, rolled out from behind the 3.6 when I first shoved the key in the slot. I shot a surprised look at VW's technical crew and received the smug looks of those who knew my reaction was coming. Impressive. And once the throttle is fully applied, the 3.6-liter is not at all shy about announcing its full potential.

The six-speed Tiptronic gearbox seems particularly effective for delivering the V6's 280 hp. No stumbles, no wavering, just a steady pulse of power followed by a silken snick to the next gear. Feedback from the powertrain, steering and brakes is standard VW; that is, it's nigh perfect.

The Passat tracks straight and true, even at 135 mph, aided by the new electromechanical steering. The new steering system adjusts its assist based on vehicle speed and steering wheel angle, stiffening up on the straights and providing more assist for turns. It also helps stabilize the car in crosswinds without driver intervention.

Suspension calibration in the 3.6 is decidedly weighted toward sporty driving. Body roll is muted, and the squat and dive which plagued the previous generation of the Passat is completely absent.

The test cars were equipped with the optional 18-inch wheels and tires, which magnified a slight chop from the suspension when the road got a little rough, but over smooth pavement the only upset in the quiet cabin was some wind noise through the preproduction door seals.

The Right Stuff
Sporty and comfortable, with a pleasantly freshened look, the new Volkswagen Passat has everything it takes to attract a wider group of buyers than in the past. It's now up to VW's dealers to make the ownership experience fully enjoyable.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

They call starting at $23,000 with a 4-cylinder being a good value? :rolleyes:

And the 6-cylinder is undoubtedly in entry-lux territory, with a price range of $30K base to $40K fully loaded. But it gets the Passat name, so even at $40,000 it can win praise against $26,000 Accords and Camrys.

I suppose it could have been worse, they could have put the base price even higher. It's already only $3K below an A4, but it could have ended up at the same level.  

BMWDave

QuoteThey call starting at $23,000 with a 4-cylinder being a good value? :rolleyes:

And the 6-cylinder is undoubtedly in entry-lux territory, with a price range of $30K base to $40K fully loaded. But it gets the Passat name, so even at $40,000 it can win praise against $26,000 Accords and Camrys.

I suppose it could have been worse, they could have put the base price even higher. It's already only $3K below an A4, but it could have ended up at the same level.
It may not be a value per se, but the Passat has this aura of class that neither the Accord, Camry, or any other mainstreamer can match.  There is tremendous quality and minor attention to detail in the car which you dont get in the Camry or Accord.  The Passat looks and feels inside like a luxury car.  Perhaps thats what they meant by value.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

There's a difference luxury and value. One could argue that they are the exact opposite.

It's very clear what they meant. They, like everyone else, were expecting it to be even more overpriced than it already is, so it's a value compared to their expectations.  

dave998

Maybe its just me, but a VW badge doesnt envoke any passion of luxury. I can get a 6 for a much cheaper price with an I-4.

Car Zeus

That is why VW has Audi.

Luxury or not VW is still considered the "Peoples Car". Lately their prices have gotten out of hand.  

R33 GT-R

VW can suck a corn eyed lumpfish, they blow.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteThey call starting at $23,000 with a 4-cylinder being a good value? :rolleyes:

You can't really compare the 2.0t to the 4-cylinders of its competition when it is right between the V6 and 4-cylinder options from other manufacturers as far as power is concerned (and, right in line with the Five Hundred which is larger but the Passat is also pretty big and they are fairly evenly priced).

ifcar

It's more fair to compare a 200-horsepower 4-cylinder to a 166-horsepower 4-cylinder than to a 244-horsepower V6 (06 Accord figures). And it's powered between most competitors' 4-cylinders and V6s, but it's priced at or above the V6 versions' price.

However you look at the car, it is not a good value. To be expected from a mainstream VW these days.

TBR

QuoteIt's more fair to compare a 200-horsepower 4-cylinder to a 166-horsepower 4-cylinder than to a 244-horsepower V6 (06 Accord figures). And it's powered between most competitors' 4-cylinders and V6s, but it's priced at or above the V6 versions' price.

However you look at the car, it is not a good value. To be expected from a mainstream VW these days.
It isn't a great value, but it really isn't that bad either. Certainly not as bad of a value as the Jetta is.  

ifcar

Pretty close, if looked at as a family sedan instead of an entry-lux.

mazda6er

It seems as though they're going after the entirely wrong demographic with this one.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuotePretty close, if looked at as a family sedan instead of an entry-lux.
Not even close, you can get a Camry to 30k, but you can't get a Corolla to 26k. And, considering this car to be a near lux car is entirely reasonable.  

ifcar

Not even close, you can get a Camry to 30k, but you can't get a Corolla to 26k. And, considering this car to be a near lux car is entirely reasonable.
A fully loaded Camry stickers at $30K. A fully-loaded Passat stickers at $40K.

A fully-loaded Jetta is around $27K (?). A fully-loaded Corolla LE is around $20K. Seems similar to me.  

TBR

A fully loaded Camry stickers at $30K. A fully-loaded Passat stickers at $40K.

A fully-loaded Jetta is around $27K (?). A fully-loaded Corolla LE is around $20K. Seems similar to me.
A couple of things: First, the 2.0t will likely offer comparable performance to the XLE V6 so use that version which tops out at $32k. Second, it is quite likely that the VW will have much equipment not available on the Camry.  

mazda6er

Sweet, a good old-fashioned ifcar v. TBR argument!  *grabbing popcorn*
:lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Actually, a Camry XLE V6 with every option (not counting items like a spoiler) stickers at just over $30,000, and even adding the numerous appearence options couldn't boost in another $1,700. Check your source.

And a fully-loaded Jetta will also have items that a fully-loaded Corolla wouldn't.

TBR

QuoteActually, a Camry XLE V6 with every option (not counting items like a spoiler) stickers at just over $30,000, and even adding the numerous appearence options couldn't boost in another $1,700. Check your source.

And a fully-loaded Jetta will also have items that a fully-loaded Corolla wouldn't.
But the price difference is $7k, not $2k. And, the 32k number was for the Passat 2.0t, not the Camry XLE-V6.

ifcar

We'll have to wait and see about the acceleration there. That Passat isn't going to be light.

TBR

QuoteWe'll have to wait and see about the acceleration there. That Passat isn't going to be light.
No, it isn't. But, the 2.0t is a great engine. An also not particularly light A4 Quattro manual can do a 6.7 second 0-60 run so I have a hard time believing that the Passat will be much behind, unless the automatic completely sucks. 7.5 seconds seems pretty reasonable to me.

ifcar

The A4 is eight inches shorter and two inches narrower than the new Passat, there is going to be a larger acceleration difference than that. I'd expect 7.5 seconds for a manual Passat, at least 8 for an automatic. And IIRC, even the pre-update Camry 3.0 could do an 8-second 0-60.

TBR

QuoteThe A4 is eight inches shorter and two inches narrower than the new Passat, there is going to be a larger acceleration difference than that. I'd expect 7.5 seconds for a manual Passat, at least 8 for an automatic. And IIRC, even the pre-update Camry 3.0 could do an 8-second 0-60.
But the A4 has Quattro which adds some weight:
A4 2.0t Quattro (June 2005 C/D)- 3660 lb
Passat (estimates, June 2005 C/D)- 3300-3900
Sonata LX V6 (for reference, August 2005 C/D)- 3540 lb

So, the Passat will actually weigh less than the A4.

ifcar

So you think a 3,300-3,900 range estimate means that the Passat will definitely be under 3,600? If you insist.

TBR

QuoteSo you think a 3,300-3,900 range estimate means that the Passat will definitely be under 3,600? If you insist.
A FWD 2.0t will most certainly weigh under 3600 lbs, probably about 3500 lbs for a well equipped automatic model.

ifcar

TBR

QuoteYou know this based on...
Think about it, the top model would be the one to weigh 3900 lbs, right? Well, take the AWD system off and you're down to at least 3600 lbs. Then replace the V6 with the 2.0t and you're down to at least 3550 lbs.

ifcar

There isn't going to be a 600 pound difference based on equipment, C/D was simply estimating that it would be somewhere in that range.

TBR

QuoteThere isn't going to be a 600 pound difference based on equipment, C/D was simply estimating that it would be somewhere in that range.
I understand that, so I took the top number and deducted the additional weight of AWd and the V6 engine from it to come up with a reasonable estimate for a well equipped 2.0t automatic. It could be slightly more (especially since the A4's Quattro system weighs under 200 lbs according to edmunds, so 3700 lbs would be a more reasonable maximum estimate) but it could also be much less. In conclusion, a Passat 2.0t certainly won't weigh much more than the A4 Quattro does. After actually looking at the numbers, my new estimate is 7.2 seconds.

TBR

C/D got 7.2 seconds for a A4 2.0t Quattro manual while R&T got 6.4 seconds, maybe the settings weren't pinned down for the C/D test or something since R&T normally gets slower times.

TBR

I am definitely favoring R&T's numbers since their test took place about 2 months later.