Accidents

Started by 3.0L V6, December 29, 2008, 06:47:44 AM

3.0L V6

Well, since I've just recently my first accident (not my fault) I thought I should start a thread on what car accidents everyone's had over the years. I'll start with mine (yes, I've seen the other thread in this area):

Contestants: 1998 Saturn SC1 vs. 2000 Pontiac Grand Am
Winner: 1998 SC1 (it didn't leave on a tow truck)

Proceeding along suburban two-lane road at 40-45km/h and from a side street, a Grand Am pulls out turning left in front of me. I slam on the brakes, but to no avail. I take out his driver's side front quarter using the front of my car. My bumper is amusingly crunched, but no fluids are leaking and the headlights still work. His car leaves on a tow truck as the driver's side axle is tweaked pretty good. He was cool about everything and admitted he screwed up, so I couldn't be too mad at him.

Final diagnosis: my car is written off, since it is worth about as much as the pants I'm wearing. I consider finding a new front end for the car, but working on it during the winter finds me lacking the enthusiasm for it.

Rich

I barely got rear ended once sitting in traffic in NY by an old lady.  No damage to the '98 Cavalier though...

Then Oct '07 I pulled a bonehead move.  Just got tires reinstalled (previously used in a track day) and rocking out happy to be back from my deployment.  Missed a turn, hit the brakes and tried to turn into a parking lot just after the turn.  Ended up skidding (not really a skid because of ABS, though) into a pole, damaging the radiator, AC condenser, and water pump on the '05 Cooper S.  Had it towed to a shop and fixed up.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Contestants: 1993 Dodge Caravan vs. 1996 Dodge Caravan
Winner: 1996 Caravan

1996 Caravan was minding its own business sitting at a red light when the 1993 locked up its brakes in slippery weather behind it and rear-ended it at a fairly low speed. 1996 Caravan had a caved-in bumper and dented back hatch. 1993 Caravan lost its grille and radiator and had the airbag go off.

But despite its survival skills, low-value 1996 Caravan was written off.

sportyaccordy

I've had a few accidents...

My cars lost every time:
Nissan Maxima v guardrail (guardrail)
Honda Accord v Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC
Honda Accord v guardrail (guardrail)
Nissan Maxima v Saturn... Outlook? (Outlook for sure)

2 were exactly the same... slightly wet roads, late night w/friends, both gradual left turns at about 40mph; car overrotates. One totaled my first Maxima, second one, on my second car, just took out the front bumper

Other two were similar too... I rear ended some people in SUVs out in Long Island for not paying attention. Totally my fault, but I took all the damage (dented hoods)

Other than that... A-OK knock on wood

2o6

One time, when I was in 7th grade, I had eaten too many beans and I.........................

Oh wait. This is about CAR accidents.

NomisR

Contestant: 2003 Honda Element vs 1985 Honda Accord
Winner: 1985 Honda Accord

I've posted this before but here it is again.  I was in the Element driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane divided road (total 6 lanes + divider/turn lane) into an intersection at speed limit.  Once I closed in on the intersection, a car  (car A)made a left turn in front of me.  When I got into the intersection, the car behind car A (car B or other contestant) driven by an elderly lady decide to make the turn as well.  The problem was, she turned right into me.  Other car only has a little dent in the front hood but seems to be running.  It was low enough where it did not incur any bumper damage.

The car was repaired and replaced with a RDX

She hit the rear driver side "suicide" door, spinning me out and the rear end hit the telephone poll.  Rear driver side wheel is bent and suspension damage, rear hatch damage.  Had to be towed.  Other car

Rupert

Miata vs. ditch
Winner: Miata

I was cruising along a back road and came upon an unmarked turn (as in, there was no suggested speed), overcooked it, couldn't correct the oversteer, headed nose-first into the ditch. I pulled out of the ditch without assistance. Only damage was to the paint on the front bumper.

I've also had a couple of bumper taps, but no damage, so they don't count. And there was the time I dented the fender of the Ranger trying to back out of a camouflaged stump field... :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Accord vs. bucket
Winner: Accord

I was driving 65 MPH on a local toll road (For those interested, it was George Bush/190) heading towards a little podunk town called Prosper.  I see a BMW swerve, but he indicated his swerve.  I didn't think anything of it and 2 seconds later, I see what he was avoiding.  A 5 gallon pickle barrel bucket with concrete in it.  I hit it knowing my parents would be pissed.  Look, it was either the bucket or either car beside me...I chose the bucket.  I had to act fast as to save the passenger side front tire, so I moved over a little bit.  It hit the bumper, breaking it in half, took the car out of alignment, screwed up some suspension, tore the heat shielding for the 2nd catalytic converter to hell, dented the underside of the car, and banged the passenger side muffler up pretty good.  No estimate on the damage yet...Allstate doesn't know this happened.

J86

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on December 29, 2008, 02:18:59 PM
Accord vs. bucket
Winner: Accord

I was driving 65 MPH on a local toll road (For those interested, it was George Bush/190) heading towards a little podunk town called Prosper.  I see a BMW swerve, but he indicated his swerve.  I didn't think anything of it and 2 seconds later, I see what he was avoiding.  A 5 gallon pickle barrel bucket with concrete in it.  I hit it knowing my parents would be pissed.  Look, it was either the bucket or either car beside me...I chose the bucket.  I had to act fast as to save the passenger side front tire, so I moved over a little bit.  It hit the bumper, breaking it in half, took the car out of alignment, screwed up some suspension, tore the heat shielding for the 2nd catalytic converter to hell, dented the underside of the car, and banged the passenger side muffler up pretty good.  No estimate on the damage yet...Allstate doesn't know this happened.

Sounds like the bucket won that one.

the Teuton

I have never had an accident that was my fault in a family-owned car.  Does the $600 worth of body damage I caused to one E39 530i 5-speed and one E66 750Li count?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2008, 04:38:58 PM
Sounds like the bucket won that one.

Bucket was demolished, making the Accord the winner.

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on December 29, 2008, 05:10:35 PM

Bucket was demolished, making the Accord the winner.

But I'll bet the Accord will cost more to repair.

CJ

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2008, 05:25:43 PM
But I'll bet the Accord will cost more to repair.

While true, the bucket can't be repaired. 

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on December 29, 2008, 05:36:57 PM

While true, the bucket can't be repaired. 

Give me hundreds of dollars and I'd find a way to repair it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2008, 05:41:54 PM
Give me hundreds of dollars and I'd find a way to repair it.

Duct tape! :lol:

Tave

I've never been involved in anything more than a fender-bender, as a driver.

But when I was in the 5th grade, my mom and I rolled our Sunbird on I-25, at about 65 mph. The front left brake on that little shitbox was prone to lock. The accident happened when my mom reached down to help me operate the radio. She started drifting towards the right edge of the road, looked up, and braked and over-corrected to the left. That stupid shoe locked, sent us into a spin, and then flipped the car 2-1/2 times into the median. We crawled out of the broken passenger windows and people immediately began stopping to help us. One passing motorist was even kind enough to crawl back inside and retrieve my mom's purse for her.

That was the last time I've ever sat in a Pontiac Sunbird, for which I'm eternally gratefull. :lol: Thank God we were both wearing our seatbelts.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Is that not lawsuit worthy?  A car should not do that...ever.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

When I say "prone," what I mean was that it happened once before, we think. And I don't think there was any proof that it happened when we rolled the Sunbird--it's just what we surmised after the event.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I've had 3 (only 1 was my fault and only 1 was in a car) in a 2 year span.

The first was sept. 2005 when a young lady ina Cobalt left turned in front of me while I was on my 2003 Gixxer.The bike was totalled,but I only had a couple scrapes and bruises.

The second was Aug. 2006 when a lady friend was following me home. I stopped at a red light and she didn't! Banged my 2004 Gixxer up and I was lucky once again with just a bruised up leg.

The third time I wasn't as lucky. Dec. 22nd 2006 I was driving home from a friends who'd just returned from overseas. I was driving my 1995 Tracer Trio and fell asleep about 2 blocks from home. From what I was told I ran into the back of a F-150 that was parked on the side of the road. I came to about 4 am, still in my car and it was raining directly (windshield was busted and drivers door was slightly open) on me. The driver seat had moved as far foward as it could go and I was pinned by the steering wheel. Some guy came out of his house and called EMS. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks and had 3 sugeries during my stay. My jaw was broken,my ankle was shattered (bone penetrated the skin),and I had multiple cuts to my head/neck area. I now have 10 screws and a rod in my ankle,2 screws and a very small plate on the right side of my jaw (witch was wired shut till Feb. 5th 2007),skin graft scars on my left thigh (the skin was used to cover the hole left by the bone that broke through), and various small scars left by the glass. I didn't walk for 3 months after the wreck and had to do rehab for about a month after I could actually put weight on my ankle. Even after I healed up I was still pulling glass shards outta my face for months.  :rage: The bad part is most people assume these injuries were from one of the bike wrecks. At least it was my winter car and not the Z.

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CJ

You should buy better winter beaters.  By better I mean safer..like a Volvo.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CJ on December 29, 2008, 10:55:44 PM
You should buy better winter beaters.  By better I mean safer..like a Volvo.
That Toyota in my avatar is the Tracers replacment.  :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

My sister has a Tracer Trio... what a car! The Trio package includes alloy wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel, rear wing, and tape player delete!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NACar on December 29, 2008, 11:12:04 PM
My sister has a Tracer Trio... what a car! The Trio package includes alloy wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel, rear wing, and tape player delete!
Yep. But the gearing made it a real gas hog (75-85mph) on the freeway. The 'Rolla is much better!

93JC

1990 Dodge Spirit vs. early '90s Subaru Legacy

Winn4r: ... :huh: I scuffed some paint, it buffed right out.

Byteme

Where to start.

1963 Chevrolet Belaire: 
Hit in the left rear quarter by an inattentive driver. 
Later a cow charged the car and rammed the front passenger door.

1966 Dodge Charger: 
Hit 1 deer, missed about 5 others all standing in the center of a highway. destroyed grill. no body damage; car was a tank.
Rear ended by a 69 Camaro which was totaled.
Sideswiped on Route 66, flattened the right door and rear quarter panel.
Hit by a potato chip delivery truck.

1974 Mustang II:
Head on collision with a motorcycle that came around a blind corner on a gravel road on my side of the road.  New bumper and grill and grill surround.

1984 Camaro
T boned a car that ran a red light in front of me.
side swiped on the interstate in the rain.
Hit in a parking lot on our honeymoon.  Damage to left rear quarter and tail light.

1991 Mustang Convertible.
Hit by a suburban.  New headlight and front fender

CJ

You've had quite a few. 

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2008, 11:20:26 AM
I've had a few accidents...

My cars lost every time:
Nissan Maxima v guardrail (guardrail)
Honda Accord v Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC
Honda Accord v guardrail (guardrail)
Nissan Maxima v Saturn... Outlook? (Outlook for sure)

2 were exactly the same... slightly wet roads, late night w/friends, both gradual left turns at about 40mph; car overrotates. One totaled my first Maxima, second one, on my second car, just took out the front bumper

Other two were similar too... I rear ended some people in SUVs out in Long Island for not paying attention. Totally my fault, but I took all the damage (dented hoods)

Other than that... A-OK knock on wood

Wow, you suck at driving.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I rear ended an Exploder after it panic stopped on a a highway glazed with fresh rain and a month's worth of caked motor oil.

I made a small dent on the wheel well of my Miata when I was backing out of a very cramped space.

Other than that, I'm good...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

I rear ended a full-size truck with my 4runner and put a huge dent in his bumper. Nothing happened to my truck.

He got out, drunk off his ass, stumbled to the back of the car, looked at the dent, and exclaimed, "not even a scratch!"