Bugatti Type 57S Atlantic found in a garage in Britain!

Started by Secret Chimp, January 01, 2009, 05:00:41 PM

Secret Chimp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/7807210.stm

A classic Bugatti car, which gathered dust in a Tyneside garage for almost 50 years, may fetch up to ?3m ($4.35m) when it goes under the hammer.

Relatives of reclusive Newcastle doctor Harold Carr found the 1937 Type 57S Atalante in a garage after he died.

Now the classic car, thought to be one of just 17 built, is to be sold by Bonhams in Paris next month.

It was originally owned by Earl Howe - first president of the British Racing Drivers' Club.

Dr Carr, a former army surgeon, left the contents of a lock-up garage to his family when he died in 2007.

As well as the Bugatti, his nephew also discovered a classic Aston Martin, and a Jaguar E-type in the lock-up.

The nephew, an engineer from Newcastle, said: "We just can't believe it.

"Of course we're delighted and we're going to make sure the money is shared out among the family. It's a wonderful thing to leave."

Earl Howe took delivery of the sporty two-seat Atalante after it was completed in 1937 and kept the car for eight years.

After Earl Howe sold it, it changed hands a couple of times before Dr Carr bought the car in 1955 from Lord Ridley, a member of the Northumberland gentry.

He drove the car for the first few years, but in 1960 it was parked in his garage where it remained until his death.

James Knight, international head of Bonhams' motoring department, said: "I have known of this Bugatti for a number of years and, like a select group of others, hadn't dared divulge its whereabouts to anyone.

"It is absolutely one of the last great barn discoveries.

"The Atalante is incredibly original and, although she requires restoration, it is 'restoration' in the true sense of the word.

"It offers a truly rewarding project to the new owner - who will join a select list of distinguished owners - to play such an integral part in bringing this wonderful motor car back to life."

The car has a remarkably low mileage with an odometer reading of just 26,284.

The Bugatti 57S is a highly coveted car by collectors, with at least four thought to belong to the Musee Nationale de L'Automobile in Mulhouse, France.

Others remain in the hands of private collectors.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

How in the world does a fine auto like that just sit in a garage, collecting dust?  :hammerhead:

Quote from: 2o6 on January 01, 2009, 05:37:16 PM
How in the world does a fine auto like that just sit in a garage, collecting dust?  :hammerhead:

Well it seems like the good doctor drove it for a while, realized how worthless it was to drive, and then just left it.

Seriously it doesn't surprise me if most of the legendary collector classic of the past were a pain in the ass to drive.

Rupert

This is not the first Type 57 to be found in a garage or barn...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

This car should be left in "survivor" condition, imo.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ChrisV

yeah, an old Bugatti like that was recently unearthed in NY after sitting in a garage since the '60s. it got sold at auction in unrestored state, then kept that way (well, it was washed and made to run again).

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

And this is how the one in my post looked after it got washed. As you can see, there are still chips in the paint:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on January 02, 2009, 08:03:57 AM
And this is how the one in my post looked after it got washed. As you can see, there are still chips in the paint:

Needs a set of whitewalls or something.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on January 01, 2009, 06:03:36 PM
This is not the first Type 57 to be found in a garage or barn...

One of the type-41 Royales was discovered in a long Island junkyard.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2009, 03:36:51 PM
One of the type-41 Royales was discovered in a long Island junkyard.

How did it survive in decent enough to be recognizable condition?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Speed_Racer

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on January 02, 2009, 04:07:35 PM
How did it survive in decent enough to be recognizable condition?

It was discovered soon after WWII. It was the Fuchs Cabriolet, and is now on display at the Henry Ford museum.

Its also one of the big controversies among concourse crowds. When Mr. Chayne, who found it, restored it, he updated the brakes and carburetors so he could drive it more reliably.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

I can't believe the family is selling it. If the guy wanted to leave his family 3 million pounds, he would have sold the car himself.

hotrodalex

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 04, 2009, 09:20:27 AM
I can't believe the family is selling it. If the guy wanted to leave his family 3 million pounds, he would have sold the car himself.

Some people just don't get cars.

For one thing, they can't be enjoyed if they just sit in your garage for 60 years. And they also shouldn't just be a way to make money. True car people understand those things.

Rupert

Of course, if I found an old Bugatti in my grandfather's garage, I'd sell it. $3M is a lot. I'd never have to work again, and I could buy other, more drivable cars. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on January 05, 2009, 02:20:38 PM
Of course, if I found an old Bugatti in my grandfather's garage, I'd sell it. $3M is a lot. I'd never have to work again, and I could buy other, more drivable cars. ;)

I'm not sure if you would be able to retire and have a couple nice cars with $3M. I guess it depends on how old you are and where you plan to live. I don't think I could make it on $3M if I retired now.

Rupert

Well, with investments and such...

I'm 24, and expect to see 80 at least. Let's say 60 more years. That's $50,000 per year, which is enough for me. If you can get a decent return on your investments, there's more to be had...

Tave

After taxes you would be looking at a lot less. I doubt it would be the equivalent tax rate of 60 years of salary @ 50K/year.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on January 05, 2009, 02:20:38 PM

Three million is your "never have to work again" threshold? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on January 05, 2009, 06:48:44 PM
After taxes you would be looking at a lot less. I doubt it would be the equivalent tax rate of 60 years of salary @ 50K/year.

Yeah, true. Invest!

I know someone who's lived well for 20 years off $2M. I can live pretty cheaply, after some initial spending on cars and such. At any rate, if I had $3M, I'd try to never work again. I think after smart investing and maybe a small income from something I wanted to do anyway, I'd be fine.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on January 05, 2009, 06:52:45 PM
Three million is your "never have to work again" threshold? 

Hell, one million would be plenty to invest and try to retire on... I can live pretty cheaply. :lol:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on January 05, 2009, 06:58:09 PM
Hell, one million would be plenty to invest and try to retire on... I can live pretty cheaply. :lol:

I can live cheaply, but not when it comes to cars.

Morris Minor

To live reasonably well & travel in your retirement you need about US$6m. Assume it yields 6% per annum, you'd get around $180k p.a. after taxes. 6% is a big assumption is this economy.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on January 05, 2009, 06:58:09 PM

Man, I could burn through a million dollars without even leaving the house. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Well, so could I. But if it was either that, or not have to work, I choose not working.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on January 06, 2009, 09:00:44 PM
Well, so could I. But if it was either that, or not have to work, I choose not working.

I would just get a fun job.

Soup DeVille

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille

hotrodalex