Consumer Reports - Perception Surveys (How moronic...)

Started by cawimmer430, January 23, 2009, 04:40:10 AM

cawimmer430

I have to laugh when I read this junk.  :nutty:

Toyota third place in the "Performance" category? Behind Porsche and BMW?

"Oh, Cindy...what a powerful Camry you drive! 180hp ... WOW! The ultimate performance car! I want one!"

Link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2009/01/2009-car-brand-perceptions-survey/top-five-in-brand-perception/brand-perceptions-top-5.htm

SAFETY
Volvo              71%
Ford               19
Honda             18
Toyota             16
Mercedes-Benz     15

Mercedes in 5th place? Mercedes blows Ford, Honda and Toyota away and is definitely even ahead of Volvo in terms of safety. Sure, Volvo is living off that perception but what the fuck are Ford, Honda and Toyota doing there?  :nutty:

QUALITY
Toyota             32%
Honda            24
Mercedes-Benz    23
Lexus            20
Cadillac            17

Cool. Mercedes above Lexus. I ain't complaining! :thumbsup:  :wtf:

VALUE
Honda     29%
Toyota    27
Kia            27
Hyundai    20
Ford            19

PERFORMANCE
Porsche     29%
BMW       28
Toyota    22
Chevrolet    20
Ford            17

What the fuck is Toyota doing in 3rd place!? What friggin performance cars do they even offer? Oh wait, the FWD Camry V6 and Toyota Avalon! DAMN!!!  :nutty:

ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY/GREEN
Toyota     48%
Honda    31
Chevrolet    11
Ford      11
GMC      11

This has to be a joke, right? GMC, Ford and Chevrolet!? When I think of these brands I think that they sell and produce more SUVs than sedans, especially GMC! Who the fuck was surveyed here? GMC employees?  :huh:

DESIGN/STYLE
Lexus              32%
Cadillac             26
Jaguar             23
BMW                21
Mercedes-Benz     19

So we know that GMC is green and Lexus is very stylish. Got it.  :rolleyes:

TECHNOLOGY/INNOVATION
Toyota     34%
Cadillac    22
Lexus    22
Honda    21
BMW            19

First off, Toyota and Lexus are the same damn thing. Second, they're not very innovative. I don't know what they're doing up so high. Not sure about Cadillac but Honda seems to be a bit sleepy these days in that department. BMW can work. Mercedes-Benz is missing.  :nutty:

Honestly, this has to be joke, right? GMC = green?  :wtf:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Cookie Monster

You're just mad that Honda/Toyota beat MB in everything but one category and that MB didn't even place in the top 3 in any category. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: thecarnut on January 23, 2009, 04:45:02 AM
You're just mad that Honda/Toyota beat MB in everything but one category and that MB didn't even place in the top 3 in any category. :lol:

Let's be realistic here.

Mercedes-Benz RAPES Toyota in safety. That is a FACT. No other brand has really done more for safety than MB. I am not claiming this because I like MB, it's a fact. I can back up my claims too.

Mercedes-Benz has generally more favorable designs than Lexus. Lexus = sleeping pill. There is nothing stylish about their mish-mash design accumulations from different brands. A Lexus ES stylish? An LX or GX stylish? Sorry, I have to LOL at that.  :nutty:

Mercedes-Benz also has many cars that are "environmentally friendly" if you want to use that term, they're just not sold in the US, so I can understand that perception therefore. But how does Toyota place so high despite selling tons of gas-guzzling SUVs? What's the difference between Toyota and Mercedes in that regard? They both sell a lot of gas-guzzlers in the US. Oh wait, Toyota has that little piece of crap called the Prius! All is forgiven! They can sell a 12 mpg V8 Landcruiser but if they sell a Prius it's all cool, bro.  :ohyeah:

Next, Toyota and Lexus are innovative? That has to be one of the most retarded perceptions ever. BMW, Mercedes, heck even Citroen or Renault have a lot of innovations. I guess these brands don't go around advertising this - unlike Toyota and Lexus, which do this all the time (even here in Europe). Let me tell you something. Nobody here in Europe really cares if Lexus talks about how "they invented hybrids and how clean and good for the environment they are". Most people here can think a little deeper and they'll figure out that this is nothing but marketing BS.

Toyota sporty? Behind BMW and Porsche? I don't need to say anything here.

Sucks that the people surveyed here have no fucking clue about cars. That PISSES ME off. That's why I am mad. :thumbsup:

At least it was amusing. I mean GMC is environmentally friendly, right? My neighbor drives a Prius! What a moron! I am going to go to the next GMC dealership and purchase a big block V8 Yukon Denali and I won't feel guilty about it. Why? It's good for the environment. Consumer Reports says so!  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

You're overestimating the average car shopper. :huh:

People are so misinformed about cars, and I'm sure dealerships aren't helping either, with their shading advertising, trying to move cars out the door.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MaxPower

This just shows how far perception is from reality.  Kind of neat to see, actually.  Looks like M-B needs to reinvent its ad campaign, because I'd guess 90% of the results were directly dependent on the ads the respondent had recently seen.

AutobahnSHO

Will

sportyaccordy

MBs blow, whats the difference between a Lexus ES and a Benz E-Class? A couple dozen thousand bucks if you ask me

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2009, 04:40:10 AM
I have to laugh when I read this junk.  :nutty:

Jeez, Fanboy calm down.   :rolleyes:

All Consumer Reports is doing is publishing the results of a survey.  If you don't like the results of the survey don't blame CR.  In fact, don't blame the poll repondents.  Blame Mercedes Benz.  If their cars and trucks are truely the pinnacle of automotive excellence you believe them to be there are only a couple of reasons why that isn't shown in the survey.

1.  You are in the minority in your general perceptions and the majority or respondents had good reason to believe otherwise.

2.  If Mercedes Benz makes products that are the leaders in those categiories they obviously have failed to convince the motoring public of that fact. 

In any case don't blame the respondents to the survey.  If they had said MB was the leader in those categories they would be smart, savvy consumers and we couldn't be having this conversation, Right? 

Tave

Some of the categories I even agree with. Tell me Wimmer, how would you rate the American Market in terms of "green" car companies. Remember, Mercedes doesn't have the same line-up over here.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Morris Minor

MB can build the best cars in the world but, if nobody perceives that, MB is a failure.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

the Teuton

The only part that worries me is the relative sportiness of Toyota.  People actually think they're sporty?  Compared to what?

A Camry that can hit 60 mph in under 6 seconds isn't exactly the pinnacle of sportiness.  Maybe it has to do with NASCAR.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

Quote from: Byteme on January 23, 2009, 08:43:58 AM
Jeez, Fanboy calm down.   :rolleyes:

All Consumer Reports is doing is publishing the results of a survey.  If you don't like the results of the survey don't blame CR.  In fact, don't blame the poll repondents.  Blame Mercedes Benz.  If their cars and trucks are truely the pinnacle of automotive excellence you believe them to be there are only a couple of reasons why that isn't shown in the survey.

1.  You are in the minority in your general perceptions and the majority or respondents had good reason to believe otherwise.

2.  If Mercedes Benz makes products that are the leaders in those categiories they obviously have failed to convince the motoring public of that fact. 

In any case don't blame the respondents to the survey.  If they had said MB was the leader in those categories they would be smart, savvy consumers and we couldn't be having this conversation, Right? 

Like I said, I am not taking this survey very seriously but it does bother me that consumers think certain things about certain brands.

Please explain to me for example how Toyota is considered a sporty brand right after Porsche or BMW? They sell ZERO sports cars anymore. Doesn't make sense. Did a bunch of Supra fanboys participate in this survey or something?  :huh:

Next, please tell me how Toyota can even be considered in the "environmentally friendly" category when they sell V8 SUVs and pickups that get piss poor fuel economy. Worse, how does GMC make it into that same category. Do you know what I noticed? Every manufacturer in the "green category" offers at least one or several hybrid models. That's a pretty pathetic way to rank a brand in terms of environmental friendliness. There's nothing green about a Cadillac Escalade hybrid of a GMC Yukon Denali hybrid.

:rolleyes:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 08:55:32 AM
Some of the categories I even agree with. Tell me Wimmer, how would you rate the American Market in terms of "green" car companies. Remember, Mercedes doesn't have the same line-up over here.

Yes, I know that. MB sells fuel-inefficient models in the US.

So does Toyota (and Lexus). Looks like the "hybrid hype" is working though. Toyota sells thousands of SUVs and pickups with big, inefficient V6 or V8 engines and yet they are perceived as green because of the Prius?  :nutty:

Hell, why not throw in Mercedes there as well since we can make a similar argument. MB sells tons of gas-guzzling cars in the US but they have a couple of relatively efficient diesel models like the E-, ML-, GL- and R- BlueTec. Probably because consumers still associate diesels with "dirty". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the retards who participated in this survey told me that a 12 mpg V8 Landcruiser is more "green" than a GL320 CDI.  :nutty:  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on January 23, 2009, 09:35:46 AM
The only part that worries me is the relative sportiness of Toyota.  People actually think they're sporty?  Compared to what?

A Camry that can hit 60 mph in under 6 seconds isn't exactly the pinnacle of sportiness.  Maybe it has to do with NASCAR.

I think we have to ask ourselves why didn't Ferrari and Lamborghini make the list, as after all, they tower over Porsche and BMW in the performance department. The key IMO is as you state: "relative" sportiness.

Toyota has a penchant for putting their 270 hp 3.5L V6 in anything from the Rav4 to the Highlander, and the new 5.7L V8 has reoriented a lot expectations for full-size trucks and SUVs. They're not hot rods, but they are generally at the top or share the top spot (at least for acceleration) in their respective classes. I don't think any bread-n-butter automaker puts as much horsepower in as many models as Toyota.

As to M-B? They carry the cache of luxury in the US; not performance, not quality, not value, not safety, not technology. Luxury. If M-B wants to extend beyond that station, that's M-B's responsibility, not the public's.

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2009, 09:44:44 AM
So does Toyota (and Lexus). Looks like the "hybrid hype" is working though. Toyota sells thousands of SUVs and pickups with big, inefficient V6 or V8 engines and yet they are perceived as green because of the Prius?  :nutty:

Toyota's best-selling models over here are the 4-banger Corolla and Camry.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2009, 09:41:22 AM

Like I said, I am not taking this survey very seriously but it does bother me that consumers think certain things about certain brands.

I would disagree with some of the results also, but in the greater scheme of things who cares and so what.

What I find amusing is how you work your self up into a lather everytime someone says something even slightly negative about Mercedes Benz products.  In the final analysis they are an average to slightly better than average car greatly overpriced and not very good looking (styling is subjective).  

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:46:26 AM
Toyota's best-selling models over here are the 4-banger Corolla and Camry.

Yes, but they also sell a lot of gas-guzzling SUVs and pickups. Why are these left out of the equation?

I don't know the figures but I am willing to bet that the best-selling Mercedes' in the US are the C-Classes, which are relatively efficient bar the C63 AMG.

If you want theoretical "green car brands" then we should look at Suzuki, Daihatsu, Fiat...brands that build relatively small and efficient cars.  :huh:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

Daihatsu and Fiat aren't even available in the US.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2009, 09:50:16 AM
Yes, but they also sell a lot of gas-guzzling SUVs and pickups. Why are these left out of the equation?

Because every major player in the American market offers a gas-guzzling SUV or pickup. :nutty:

GoCougs

Not really. Only the Tundra and Sequoia can really be considered gas guzzlers, but they are way down in the their respective classes in terms of sales volume.

SVT666

Toyota has done a commendable job of convincing North Americans that they are a company that is all about fuel efficiency.  

cawimmer430

Quote from: Byteme on January 23, 2009, 09:49:11 AM
What I find amusing is how you work your self up into a lather everytime someone says something even slightly negative about Mercedes Benz products.

Do I get worked up everytime somebody says something bad about MB? No I don't.  :rolleyes:

I only get annoyed when somebody makes a claim about Mercedes which is totally not true and which I can back up with facts. I am after all an MB fan and read a lot about them. I know the history and a lot of their achievements. When clueless people ignore this and go ahead and make a stupid claim, that's when I get pissed.

Like this whole BS issue about Toyotas being safer than Mercedes'. Sorry, but that pisses me off. Toyota might get their four or five stars in a crash test but they're designed to pass here. Mercedes-Benz has a whole division dedicated to safety, a safety engineering team that strives to build the safest cars on the planet. Toyota is a complete joke in this regard.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:52:18 AM
Daihatsu and Fiat aren't even available in the US.

Yes, but these brands, especially Daihatsu, have generally built well-behaved cars with small and efficient engines.

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:52:18 AMBecause every major player in the American market offers a gas-guzzling SUV or pickup. :nutty:

So we therefore can call Chevy, Ford and GMC green? Got it.  :rolleyes:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: GoCougs on January 23, 2009, 09:53:54 AM
Not really. Only the Tundra and Sequoia can really be considered gas guzzlers, but they are way down in the their respective classes in terms of sales volume.

Still. These cars exist in the Toyota lineup and should be used in the equation.

I suppose all that Prius hype is helping too.  :lockedup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

the Teuton

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2009, 09:54:36 AM

Do I get worked up everytime somebody says something bad about MB? No I don't.  :rolleyes:

I only get annoyed when somebody makes a claim about Mercedes which is totally not true and which I can back up with facts. I am after all an MB fan and read a lot about them. I know the history and a lot of their achievements. When clueless people ignore this and go ahead and make a stupid claim, that's when I get pissed.

Like this whole BS issue about Toyotas being safer than Mercedes'. Sorry, but that pisses me off. Toyota might get their four or five stars in a crash test but they're designed to pass here. Mercedes-Benz has a whole division dedicated to safety, a safety engineering team that strives to build the safest cars on the planet. Toyota is a complete joke in this regard.

Maybe Mercedes is wasting money on inefficient projects that aren't returning the money to them that are put into the projects?

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 23, 2009, 09:54:13 AM
Toyota has done a commendable job of convincing North Americans that they are a company that is all about fuel efficiency. 

Toyota does everything right, marketing-wise.  That's why they supposedly have the best quality products with powerful yet efficient engines and they're safe for the environment.

Honestly, let's troll it up for another brand.  Subaru's US plant (Indiana that it shares with the Camry) is the most environmentally clean plant in the nation.  I don't hear anyone clamoring about that one, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

BWAHAHA. So Wimmer is pissed off that Diahatsu and Fiat weren't included in a Consumer Reports survey of American buyers...

cawimmer430

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 23, 2009, 09:54:13 AM

Toyota, well Lexus (same thing), is trying to trick us Europeans into believing their hybrids are so green and efficient. I love how they shove down our throats how the LS600h is the "most fuel efficient car in its class". What class?

The LS600h is not worthy of being compared to an Audi A8 W12 BMW 760Li, much less the S600. Nobody buying a V12 Audi, BMW or Benz A8/7/S is going to give a damn about fuel economy. The way I see it, Lexus simply used the poor fuel economy of these three cars to make the fuel economy of the LS600h "look good".

www.wimmerfotografie.de

the Teuton

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 09:58:55 AM
BWAHAHA. So Wimmer is pissed off that Diahatsu and Fiat weren't included in a Consumer Reports survey of American buyers...

:rolleyes:

I never said they should be rated by American buyers, I said if you want "efficient brands", brands that have continually built small and efficient cars, then Fiat, Suzuki and Daihatsu for example would fit in almost immediately, especially Suzuki and Daihatsu (Fiat had some pretty sporty and fuel-inefficient executive cars in the 1970s and 1980s).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

Your point is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. :huh:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2009, 10:03:57 AM
Your point is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. :huh:

Of course it is irrelevant if these brands are not sold there (except Suzuki). Come to think of it, ask these Consumer Report participants what they think about Suzuki and they will probably ask, "Suzi who?"  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de