Women Claims Her Kia Pulls to the Left.

Started by NomisR, February 10, 2009, 11:35:20 AM

NomisR

:lol: 

Click on the Weighed Down for the video.

QuoteSmall cars + Heavy people = Mechanical issues?

We all know that society as a whole is getting heavier, bigger, fatter. I know several larger people who will freely admit that they are not comfortable in a small car because they're bigger, and that's fine.

Now, out of Edmonton, Alberta Canada comes the story of a woman who says the local Kia dealership allegedly told her the reason her Kia Rio wasn't holding an alignment was because of her weight. The woman said the dealership's solution, after two alignments failed to correct the problem, was to have her sit in the car while the vehicle was getting an alignment, which she found embarrassing and humiliating.

Kia denies the allegation that the dealership suggested she be in the car during the alignment, but did admit there were problems with the situation. The dealership, Kia West Edmonton acknowledged, "The person handling the situation made some serious mistakes, and didn't handle it in the proper fashion."

Kia did conclude that the alignment was not caused by the woman's weight, and there was indeed an issue with the car itself. Kia has said it will work with the woman to fix the issue.

The woman hopes her story will "make manufacturers more aware of our growing society."

Below is a link to the video from Global Edmonton.

No doubt, a larger vehicle isn't going to be effected by the weight of an individual as much as a Kia Rio or other subcompact. However, should manufacturers make vehicles, especially smaller cars, more mechanically stout to accommodate our ever-enlarging society?

Let's hear your opinion in the comments section ...

http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/canwest-globaledmonton-pub01-live/current/launch.html?maven_playerId=troubleshootermedium&maven_referralObject=3475882

93JC

As an Albertan I don't know whether to be embarrassed for this fatteh, or proud of the guys who told her her car was going out of alignment because she is a fatteh.

:lol:

Byteme

That's nothing new.  My 1969 E-type service manual recommends having 160 pounds in the driver's seat during while the front end is being aligned.

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on February 10, 2009, 11:46:03 AM
That's nothing new.  My 1969 E-type service manual recommends having 160 pounds in the driver's seat during while the front end is being aligned.

I don't think 160 lb would even help in this case. 

Cobra93

Quote from: Byteme on February 10, 2009, 11:46:03 AM
Exactly. The best way to align a car is with the driver inside.

Cobra93

Quote from: NomisR on February 10, 2009, 11:49:05 AM
I don't think 160 lb would even help in this case. 
Probably not. Of course, it'll be Kia's fault when the car throws the crank on the ground after dragging her fat ass around. :lol:

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

So...what does this lady expect car companies to do?  It's physics.  Let's just make it an option to get a counterweight in the right side of the car to offset your body!  You can even get it customized to your actual body weight!!!!

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

NomisR

She can probably do this as a counter weight, they probably weigh the same too

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 10, 2009, 12:09:10 PM
So...what does this lady expect car companies to do?  It's physics.  Let's just make it an option to get a counterweight in the right side of the car to offset your body!  You can even get it customized to your actual body weight!!!!

Here's an aftermarket oppotunity.

Ballast tanks.  One on each side of the car.  Filled with water with a couple pumps to move the load back and forth.

Tave

"Kia did conclude that the alignment was not caused by the woman's weight, and there was indeed an issue with the car itself."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 02:10:47 PM
"Kia did conclude that the alignment was not caused by the woman's weight, and there was indeed an issue with the car itself."

Translation: "Oh shit, I didn't think this would make the news."

Tave

Oh come on! Look at that picture: she's not even a deuce. If my 200 pound frame isn't pulling my Aveo out of alignment, then her paltry 170 lbs isn't putting a fucking dent in a Kia.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 02:23:46 PM
Oh come on! Look at that picture: she's not even a deuce. If my 200 pound frame isn't pulling my Aveo out of alignment, then her paltry 170 lbs isn't putting a fucking dent in a Kia.

Is she only 170?  she's definitely bigger than I am.  Looks more like 200s.  And another thing they haven't considered, maybe the tires are heat cycled out due to the extra load on the driver's side.  That would cause it too. 

ifcar

I think the point is that she's overweight for her size but not all that heavy in the grand scheme of things.

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on February 10, 2009, 02:43:47 PM
Is she only 170?  she's definitely bigger than I am.  Looks more like 200s.  And another thing they haven't considered, maybe the tires are heat cycled out due to the extra load on the driver's side.  That would cause it too. 

What sort of Kia is that, a Spectra?

She can barely see over the rooftop. She must be 5'4"! She has a belly and a big ass, but nothing too extraordinary.

I'd put money on the fact that she weighs under 200.

Quote from: ifcar on February 10, 2009, 02:45:20 PM
I think the point is that she's overweight for her size but not all that heavy in the grand scheme of things.

Precisely. Let's ask hounddog whether or not he misaligns his car simply by sitting in it.

I've had a 300 pound dude in the Aveo, sitting directly behind me. The alignment is fine.

Cobra93

:confused: Watch the video where you get a better look at her and then get back to me on that.

I'd say 250 MINIMUM, closer to 300.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 02:47:14 PM
What sort of Kia is that, a Spectra?

Rio. Aveo size instead of Cobalt size.

Tave

Quote from: Cobra93 on February 10, 2009, 02:48:21 PM
  :confused: Watch the video where you get a better look at her and then get back to me on that.

Watched it, and my opinion stands. 200 pounds is BIG for a woman, especially a woman that short.

QuoteI'd say 250 MINIMUM, closer to 300.

Preposterous.

Do you know a lot of 300 pounders? I know a guy who weighs that much. He's 6'3" and looks twice as big as that lady.

Tave

FWIW, a Kia Rio5 is 4'10" tall, which puts her at a few inches over 5 feet. She is an extremely short lady.

Cobra93

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 02:55:10 PM
Watched it, and my opinion stands. 200 pounds is BIG for a woman, especially a woman that short.

Preposterous.

Do you know a lot of 300 pounders? I know a guy who weighs that much. He's 6'3" and looks twice as big as that lady.
Then don't take a job at the circus. You'll give away all the stuffed animals  :lol:

sportyaccordy

Dude that woman is tremendous... Oprah weighs 200# and this chick is definitely not in her weight class

Tave

Which Oprah are we talking about?

Her:

That girl ain't 200 pounds.

Or her:

That's a lot closer to the woman from the story. Not to mention I think Oprah is taller.

Cobra93

She's 5'6.5" Here she is at 200 lbs.

You still think that sweater encrusted zeppelin in the KIA is 170?  :huh:

Tave

She sure as shit isn't 300. I'd say right around 200. :huh:

Cobra93

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 03:40:55 PM
She sure as shit isn't 300. I'd say right around 200. :huh:
There's no way I can prove it, since I seriously doubt anyone besides her doctor knows her weight, but I'll tell you this. I personally know a young lady that's 5'2" and has weight problems. At 220 pounds, she was positively waif like in comparison to KIA woman. I would charitably estimate KIA woman at 280 and guarantee I'm much closer than you to the truth.

Tave

bullshit

You're telling me that this chubby little girl who can barely see over the top of a Rio weighs as much as Greg Oden or Andrew Bynum?

That's absurd.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on February 10, 2009, 03:54:07 PM
bullshit

You're telling me that this chubby little girl who can barely see over the top of a Rio weighs as much as Greg Oden or Andrew Bynum?

That's absurd.

Dude, that lady's a ball.  Her both the front and back of her lower body looks like a butt..

Tave

Dude, she's 2 feet shorter than either of those guys. She would look like an ant next to them.

Not to mention fat weighs less than muscle.

Look at it this way--what's a thin weight for a girl around 5 foot tall? 100-110 pounds? Add a hundred pounds to that, and this is what you get. If I weighed 300 pounds I would look like a ball too.