Would you buy a previous rental?

Started by SVT666, February 11, 2009, 12:30:30 PM

I have found several 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT's, loaded up with almost all the options, with under 20,000 miles on the clock, going for $16K in California.  Would you buy one?

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Jump on it!
1 (2.9%)
Yes, if an inspection checks out.
9 (25.7%)
I would be leary.
10 (28.6%)
No way!
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

SVT666

sportyaccordy

Buying a rented car = (literally) marrying an ex prostitute.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 11, 2009, 12:35:45 PM
Buying a rented car = (literally) marrying an ex prostitute.

Ditto. If they're letting the car go at 20K, then there are probably some serious problems with it, and with it being a rental most likely the Transmission and engine. Looks good, but there's some risks. Also, it's americans. Americans are typically not respectful of other people's property.

Cookie Monster

I'd be leary of abuse but if a mechanic checked it out, then I dunno...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 11, 2009, 12:38:06 PM

Ditto. If they're letting the car go at 20K, then there are probably some serious problems with it, and with it being a rental most likely the Transmission and engine.

Not at all. They just don't typically keep any car longer than that.

But I wouldn't go for it for two reasons: it's not only an abused rental, but Chrysler's also been demonstrating lots of first-year glitches with the 2008 vans.

And it's in California, making problem resolution very difficult.

Northlands

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 01:17:19 PM
Not at all. They just don't typically keep any car longer than that.

But I wouldn't go for it for two reasons: it's not only an abused rental, but Chrysler's also been demonstrating lots of first-year glitches with the 2008 vans.

And it's in California, making problem resolution very difficult.

Gotta agree there. Someone I know works for a rental agency closeby. They replace most models each year.

I'd say get the car checked by a mechanic. Cali seems pretty far to be looking though. Every once in a while there are some steals locally on 1 yr old cars, most of which are lease returns ( yes, one year.. )  or rental fleet returns.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

93JC

I was going to say "FUCK NO", but now that I think about it I'd be leery. Get it checked, obviously, and you may find a gem.

Probably not, though.

The Pirate

My dad did so twice.  Both times he had 2 or 3 kids in college, so a brand new car wasn't in the works.  Both were Oldsmobile Silhouettes ('01 and '03).  First one had around 25K miles when they got it, and it was perfectly reliable for  it's stay with them.  They traded it on the second two years later, with 85K miles.  For a while, my parents were racking up tons of miles, with all the kids in school several hours away in different directions.  Second one didn't do so well.  Mechanically, it was fine, but had all sorts of problems with the HVAC system, and some issues with the rear suspension (self leveling air setup).  He dumped that one and got into an '04 loaded up Chevy Venture (not a rental).  That one was okay, but they got rid of it with 70K miles (again, concerns with the electronics and suspension). 

They have an '07 or '08 Toyota Sienna now, and love it - much nicer than the GM vans in virtually every category.  There was a Toyota Highlander in there somewhere too, but that wasn't around for that long.  My mom really likes minivans.

For the price, buying a rental could be a viable option, though I'd strongly consider buying an extended warranty.  Cost should be fairly reasonable if the vehicle is low-mileage. 

My brother's Buick Regal was a previous rental, as well.  He bought it with ~65K miles (had an owner between him and the rental company).  His car has around 112K miles on it now, and has been just fine.

You're taking a bit of a gamble for sure, but cars are pretty resilient these days.  Definitely get it checked out, and consider the warranty, but it's certainly worth considering for the right price.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

cozmik

It's worth considering. Rentals are sometimes abused, a minivan rental probably hasn't been driven as hard though, simply by the demographic that's going to rent one. Rental agencies maintain them pretty strictly as well, and they still have whatever warranty is left on them from the factory. Have a mechanic check to make sure there's not and major issues, check and see how the warranty works too though, Chryslers lifetime warranty to consumers wasn't transferable, so it had to have been something different for the fleet, but it should still have what's left of it should anything go wrong.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

J86

Absolutely not.  I drive a rental minivan every single weekend in the fall and spring.  They get the absolute living shit kicked out of them.  After my experiences over the past four years, minivans are probably the last rentals I would consider!

3.0L V6

16K? Have to go California to get it?

You can get a better deal on the used market. If you negotiate, you could probably get $18k on a unused 2008 model at a dealer.

The Pirate

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on February 11, 2009, 03:21:31 PM

You can get a better deal on the used market. If you negotiate, you could probably get $18k on a unused 2008 model at a dealer.

Hmm, excellent point.  I'm not in the market, so I don't track prices, but now is probably a hell of a time to buy a new car (and a Chrysler at that).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

3.0L V6

Only buy a rental if it's a Pontiac Sunfire.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on February 11, 2009, 03:40:39 PM
New Mazda 5 = $19k

New Mazda5 = almost exactly half the cargo space of a Grand Caravan.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 03:46:15 PM
New Mazda5 = almost exactly half the cargo space of a Grand Caravan.

If space is all he needs, he should get a box truck.
ifcar = boring

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on February 11, 2009, 03:47:34 PM
If space is all he needs, he should get a box truck.

Seating is nice, too.

ifcar = boring

I don't recall ever denying that.

SVT666

You're not comparing apples to apples.  I can find a used 2008 SE for $16K in BC without a problem, but I can find a used 2008 SXT in Seattle for $16K.  The cheapest used 2008 Grand Caravan SXT I can find in my province is listed for $25,995 on autotrader.ca.

When it's time to buy, it might be a different story though.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on February 11, 2009, 03:40:39 PM
New Mazda 5 = $19k
No thanks.  We tried one out.  Too small for our family.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 04:14:25 PM
No thanks.  We tried one out.  Too small for our family.

I thought you only had two kids.  Ok... I'll sell you my 7-seat Turbowagon for $1200. I'd rather see you driving that than some Caravan heap. You just have to come get it.  :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 03:49:36 PM
Seating is nice, too.

I don't recall ever denying that.

What's your dream car?

Raza

Not if it were a car I had to depend on.  I know what I do to rentals.

Prepare yourself for beat to shit interior panels, bad transmissions, and the faint smell of stale cigarette smoke that just won't go away.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2009, 04:22:49 PM
Not if it were a car I had to depend on.  I know what I do to rentals.

Prepare yourself for beat to shit interior panels, bad transmissions, and the faint smell of stale cigarette smoke that just won't go away.

If it had a warranty, then not a big deal but if Chryslers has a non transferable warranty.. i definitely wouldn't.

SVT666

The problem is every last 2008 Grand Caravan available in BC for under $25K is an SE.  That van comes with the 3.3L.  The only way to get the 4.0L is to get the SXT.

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on February 11, 2009, 04:22:16 PM
What's your dream car?

That will entirely depend on what everyone's building when I'm ready to buy a car.

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 04:25:14 PM
That will entirely depend on what everyone's building when I'm ready to buy a car.

That would be a reality car. He didn't ask that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

No. I know how people drive something they don't own.