The 2009 TL... I'm starting to like...

Started by YO, February 14, 2009, 02:27:48 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 06:32:57 PM
Would you say a transmission is a miniscule part of a car? I didn't think so.

DOOD - Cougspocalyse will soon be upon you. "You" owned one car of probably 400,000 of that generation.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 06:41:58 PM
DOOD - Cougspocalyse will soon be upon you. "You" owned one car of probably 400,000 of that generation.

If you're really trying to tell me that my family's sample was the only TL with a transmission problem, I believe I need to introduce your head to my frying pan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 06:41:58 PM

It wasn't just his family that had problems.

the Teuton

The automatic transmission linked to the V6, whether it was a 1998-01 4-speed or an 02-06 5-speed, is an unreliable piece of crap. 

Honda put in some kind of management solenoid to make shifts smoother, but it has a high rate of failure because it was not designed to handle the V6's torque, so it ends up shifting really roughly.  It can also get much, much worse.

It isn't like Audi has been stellar with automatic transmissions, though, either.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on February 16, 2009, 06:45:03 PM
The automatic transmission linked to the V6, whether it was a 1998-01 4-speed or an 02-06 5-speed, is an unreliable piece of crap. 

Honda put in some kind of management solenoid to make shifts smoother, but it has a high rate of failure because it was not designed to handle the V6's torque, so it ends up shifting really roughly.  It can also get much, much worse.

It isn't like Audi has been stellar with automatic transmissions, though, either.

Compared to Honda, you bet VW has been stellar with A/T's.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 06:36:13 PM
Just saying...the few Acura interiors i've been in (2002)ish TL, 2000ish RL, and an 07 RL wouldn't hold a candle to a comparable Audi. 

I would agree, but I think most would consider the leather interior of an '93 STS more luxurious, but had mold lines and inconsistent die panel gaps that could be spotted at 20 yards, whereas the comparative spartan cloth interior of a base '93 Accord LX costing 1/3 as much had little if any of those problems.

YO

find any early 1999-2002 Audi... interior was fair and all the electrical was poltergiest.... stereo, window regulators, and pleather galore... Audi builds some beautiful interiors, but those definately weren't the glory days...

And yes Honda struggles with the 2nd gear AT design... which has since been fixed... I LOVE the RL, TL-S and current line up of transmission...

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 06:16:12 PM
Reliability perhaps...but I find it hard to believe that anyone would find an Acura's interior on the same par (quality wise) as an Audi's.
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
And yes Honda struggles with the 2nd gear AT design... which has since been fixed... I LOVE the RL, TL-S and current line up of transmission...

You're one of the few.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 06:43:37 PM
If you're really trying to tell me that my family's sample was the only TL with a transmission problem, I believe I need to introduce your head to my frying pan.

This thread is classic anecdotes-as-evidence-of-cars-not-even-mine 'SPIN.

I kinda know how ChrisV feels when he goes on a tear...

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 06:56:01 PM

If you've lived with them, who gives a crap about whose name the insurance is on?

You're wrong, and you can't man up. That's what the problem is here.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 06:55:19 PM
You're one of the few.

A lot of people love the RL. It's a great car.

The price is totally wrong, however.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2009, 07:01:47 PM

A lot of people love the RL. It's a great car.

The price is totally wrong, however.

They appreciate it. They don't love it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
If you've lived with them, who gives a crap about whose name the insurance is on?

You're wrong, and you can't man up. That's what the problem is here.

Wrong that I'm continually calling you out on your continued insistence of anecdotes as data?

(Be careful, you're perilously close to making the Cougs' sig'd hall of fame...)

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 06:56:01 PM

You realize that the board's resident Honda troll just admitted that it was a problem, right?

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:03:22 PM
Wrong that I'm continually calling you out on your continued insistence of anecdotes as data?

(Be careful, you're perilously close to making the Cougs' sig'd hall of fame...)

When YO admits a Honda flaw, you know it's a flaw.

Ro- 1
Cougs- 0

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:03:22 PM

You're wrong.

My brother had an 99' Accord V6 AT (his wife couldn't drive stick) that had some serious transmission issues.

V6 engines and Hondas don't mix. (at least of that era)

GoCougs

It is objectively proven that Honda/Acura makes a more reliable product than Audi. Stop.

Citing said objective data is neither claiming nor refuting individual problems or anecdotes with either make. Stop.

Someone crowing on about a car their family owned when he was 12 is not data. All stop.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:07:32 PM
It is objectively proven that Honda/Acura makes a more reliable product than Audi. Stop.

Citing said objective data is neither claiming nor refuting individual problems or anecdotes with either make. Stop.

Someone crowing on about a car their family owned when he was 12 is not data. All stop.

Hahahahahahaha, this post is so full of fail.

Someone? Try millions of people who had fucked up V6 5AT Hondas. Objectively proven? By CR?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on February 16, 2009, 07:05:22 PM
You're wrong.

My brother had an 99' Accord V6 AT (his wife couldn't drive stick) that had some serious transmission issues.

V6 engines and Hondas don't mix. (at least of that era)

LOL. Oh, wow. If I only had the sig space. If I only had the sig space...

YO

My COO misses his RL... he now drives an E500. He misses the paddle shifting speed difference.... the SH-AWD no holds confidence... the stereo and technolgy... as he puts it... "you can buy the car or buy the star"...

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 07:02:46 PM
They appreciate it. They don't love it.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:09:20 PM

If only you weren't such a dumbass...

Objectively speaking, of course.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:09:51 PM
My COO misses his RL... he now drives an E500. He misses the paddle shifting speed difference.... the SH-AWD no holds confidence... the stereo and technolgy... as he puts it... "you can buy the car or buy the star"...

Careful, Cougs'll be onto you for anecdotal evidence.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 16, 2009, 07:09:59 PM
If only you weren't such a dumbass...

Objectively speaking, of course.

LOL - desperate for a win and he fails.

Sig'd.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 07:07:32 PM

Data?

http://www.samarins.com/reviews/accord.html

"Some of the possible problem areas were automatic transmission on V6 models and the "check engine" light with EGR related codes on V6 models. "

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2003/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml

^^
#125 complaints of transmission failure.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2434676
"They have an alarmingly high failure rate for a Japanese vehicle. The failure rates were high enough that Honda offered a 7yr/100k extended warranty on the transmission only to maintain consumer confidence and resale values. The transmissions commonly fail at 50-70k miles."

YO

99 Accord V6 wasn't available in a manual...

The tranny problem wasn't very big in the Accord... about 1%... amazingling way under industry average, but unacceptable in a Honda (throw in raw number of 350,000 sales per year) . The problem cars were the 5 speed Acuras with the confusing sportshift... many people put there cars in manualmatic and simply blew out 2nd gear... Type S owners took advantage of the power too. THat tranny was designed for high end, and 2nd gear was looked over. Other "torqey" Hondas like the MDX, Odyssey and Pilot had some issues... still only about 6%. Still slightly under average, but horrible for Honda.

The redigned tranny hit the 2005 RL, 2007 MDX and RDX (260 lbs tq) and the 2007 TL-S. The new tranny is great and responsive. I love the paddle shifters in the RDX and TL-S... almost full control...

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Submariner

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:09:51 PM

Your COO needs to stop drinking drain cleaner.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:15:07 PM
99 Accord V6 wasn't available in a manual...

It was going to be a 4cyl Coupe IIRC.

2o6

You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

YO

the owner agrees with him...as does Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Edmunds...

Quote from: Submariner on February 16, 2009, 07:15:14 PM
Your COO needs to stop drinking drain cleaner.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

CALL_911

Quote from: YO on February 16, 2009, 07:17:21 PM
the owner agrees with him...as does Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Edmunds...

Yeah, no.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi