GM Selling the Heart and Soul of an Untamed Beast...

Started by Lazerous, February 19, 2009, 09:19:42 PM

Lazerous

...but you're going to have to provide the body to put it in.....and twenty-one thousand clams.

General Motors did power junkies a solid when it announced at this past year's SEMA show that the famed LS9 engine will be offered as a crate motor. Because the LS9 was designed to live within the tight confines of the Corvette ZR1 engine bay, this engine should fit nicely into all manner of undeserving machinery, a fact that has made our minds reel with endless possibilities.

All that was before we heard the price. As much fun as it would be to drop a ready-made 630-hp supercharged whale-of-a-motor into, say, a Volvo 240 wagon, the $21,000 price tag is a bit of a buzzkill. To put it another way, the LS9 crate motor costs about the same as a base 2010 Ford Mustang. The high price isn't all that shocking, especially considering that Ford charges $17,699 for the 500-horsepower, supercharged 5.4L crate engine that's offered through its Ford Racing Catalog.

As our friends at Autofiends point out, though, anyone with a modicum of experience would be able to eke out even more ponies from a less exotic, standard LS-series engine, which can be had for a song if you're willing to look hard enough. Oh well, like many of the finer things in life, this crate motor is something to be enjoyed by only a limited few with deep pockets.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/ls9-crate-motor-costs-more-than-most-cars/

Secret Chimp

posting in a thread whored up in the chat thread, woo

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Lazerous

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 19, 2009, 09:22:37 PM
posting in a thread whored up in the chat thread, woo

Shell out $21k, build a 90 degree ramp, and you could take your Miata to the moon.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't like the styling - I mean, the unpainted black plastic trim just makes it look cheap, and the ribbing on the sides and roof is more Grand Am than Vette.
:rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lazerous

Quote from: M_power on February 19, 2009, 09:23:59 PM
+1

Aren't you looking for a new engine?
Total sleeper my good man; that 911 GT3 won't see what hit it.

Rupert

Modern engines ain't pretty. Looks like we're just supposed the think, "ah, it's magic!"
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

It could use a nice set of long primary equal length headers, if only for aesthetics purposes.

Still, that's a lot of grunt, and sure to be found in a hig-end hotrod near you this summer, and the price isn't bas as far as top crate motors go.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lazerous

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 19, 2009, 09:34:44 PM
It could use a nice set of long primary equal length headers, if only for aesthetics purposes.

Still, that's a lot of grunt, and sure to be found in a hig-end hotrod near you this summer, and the price isn't bas as far as top crate motors go.

No! I want to see this thing dropped into a Smart. :devil:
Granted its body panels will have to be reinforced with a lot of duct tape to keep them from flying off.

sandertheshark

I'd still rather play with an LS7 crate.

And a big fat pair of turbos.

And a gutted '69 Stingray...

AutobahnSHO

Will

NomisR

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 20, 2009, 01:42:04 PM
Ariel Atom.

:-)

That would essentially be the Deronda G on steroids:

1900 lbs and a 500 hp LS7. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Hook it up to a Porsche G50 transmission, and you'd be set.  Of course, you wouldn't have any tires by the time you get moving, but that's just a semantics issue.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on February 20, 2009, 01:47:43 PM
That would essentially be the Deronda G on steroids:

1900 lbs and a 500 hp LS7. ;)

1900 lbs? What a fat pig. Swift only weighs 1814.

Raza

They're also going to be selling the desks, chairs, other furniture, Xerox machines, fax machines, computers, engineers' pocket protectors, coffeemakers, lighting fixtures, shelving units...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on February 19, 2009, 09:25:35 PM
I don't like the styling - I mean, the unpainted black plastic trim just makes it look cheap, and the ribbing on the sides and roof is more Grand Am than Vette.
:rolleyes:

LOL

Seriously though, cool motor.  I find myself enamored of the exhaust manifolds.  For a factory piece those look like they would flow quite well.

Rupert

Those are the only part that looks like an engine, so, me too. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 20, 2009, 08:03:38 PM
:huh:

I thought pushrods engines were cheap.

Find a new 630 HP OHC engine that will pass emissions any cheaper.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 20, 2009, 08:03:38 PM
:huh:

I thought pushrods engines were cheap.

Not necessarily - fewer parts, but we mustn't forget labor.

For example, OHC engines are more conducive to batch processing; the valvetrain can be dressed and prepped separate from the block.

CJ

"All that was before we heard the price. As much fun as it would be to drop a ready-made 630-hp supercharged whale-of-a-motor into, say, a Volvo 240 wagon, the $21,000 price tag is a bit of a buzzkill."

Rupert

CJ

Rupert

sportyaccordy

Man that is sick...

But I wonder what could be done with even just $10K to cover for the $4K or so for an LS1 motor + tranny, and goodies

I really want an LS1 in an E36 body. That is my "thing" now....

hotrodalex

I'll take a 572 that makes more power, doesn't use forced induction, and is about $8k cheaper according to a quick google search.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 21, 2009, 11:36:02 AM
I'll take a 572 that makes more power, doesn't use forced induction, and is about $8k cheaper according to a quick google search.

Wouldn't the 572 be a bit bigger and heavier?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!