Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Started by CALL_911, March 01, 2009, 09:09:53 PM

Rupert

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 11:04:47 PM
You can still get the Tacoma with 4WD and the 4 cylinder :praise:.  It's big, but it's not even close to half-ton big.

It's too wide. I want a skinny truck that can fit in between all the trees, and a short truck that can turn around without a wide spot and can maneuver around the rocks. The Durango I drove last summer for work was just a little too wide and long for me.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on March 01, 2009, 11:05:48 PM
Right. My boss gets 25 mpg highway with his new 4x4 4 cylinder Taco. That's what I get in my Ranger.

Also, I would never buy a 2WD truck again. I got stuck in the snow in a level, but uneven, gravel parking lot this winter. I had to chain up. Lame!
Yes, 1wd trucks are lame, but I still like them. Next time I get one, first thing Zim doing is a locker.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on March 01, 2009, 11:05:48 PM
Right. My boss gets 25 mpg highway with his new 4x4 4 cylinder Taco. That's what I get in my Ranger.

Also, I would never buy a 2WD truck again. I got stuck in the snow in a level, but uneven, gravel parking lot this winter. I had to chain up. Lame!

Pshttt....

You wouldn't believe the places that I get stuck with the Focus. I think I get stuck more with the Focus than I did with the Ranger.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

obviously, the tires are a problem

The Pirate

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 01, 2009, 11:09:59 PM

My Kumhos have a similar tread pattern.  Pretty decent tires in the dry, but they are absolutely abysmal in the snow.  Part of it is the light weight of my car, but this car is the worst vehicle I've ever owned as far as snow performance.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on March 01, 2009, 11:08:12 PM
Yes, 1wd trucks are lame, but I still like them. Next time I get one, first thing Zim doing is a locker.

They're very useful. I've used mine a lot, for moving, dump runs, bikes, etc. It's OK off road, too. I mean, most roads are 2WD-able. Last summer I drove on a lotta lotta forest roads, and bad, closed roads (yeah FS key!), and only needed 4WD a few times. It's still got the clearance, and that's half the battle.

Actually, the Ranger is pretty crappy off road, but it's not because of traction or clearance. It's a very hurky-jerky truck. I think the clutch is crappy or something, but it doesn't slip, so whatev.

Rupert

280Z Turbo

They are M+S rated, you know.

I'm sick of everyone saying "z0mg they're fucking Falkens!". They don't just make summer tires, you know!

Rupert

That tread pattern doesn't look like it does well in snow...

The Pirate

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 01, 2009, 11:17:07 PM
They are M+S rated, you know.

Which means nothing.  The M+S designation basically means that the tire must have at least 25% of the surface area being grooves and have a decent sized row of grooves starting at tread edge and moving towards tire center.

My tires have that designation too.  Dedicated winter tires (even the cheapy winterforces) are still a much better bet.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on March 01, 2009, 11:21:44 PM
That tread pattern doesn't look like it does well in snow...

You can tell just from looking at it?

Rupert

You can't?

Snow tires:

Not snow tires:

Vinsanity

The other cars I was looking at were a 2007 Maxima, a Mercedes W203 C-class, and a Volvo S40.

I didn't get the Maxima because I figured I'd get a better deal if I bought used instead of new, didn't get the M-B because the C230 engine is weak sauce compared to the V6's I was looking at, and didn't get the Volvo because I gave in to the temptation to spend more $$$.

Rich

Bought the MINI, shoulda bought a convertible

Bought the Wagon R... and I can't complain, but I still don't like having a crap car
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

BimmerM3

I bought an Accord. I was looking at other various cars, such as Miatas, Maximas, and Preludes. I would have gotten a Miata if my dad had let me, but when you're 16 there's only so much you can do. I'm glad I got the Accord over a Max or a 'Lude though... much lower miles than comparable cars I was looking at.

sportyaccordy

For my first car I chose the Accord over a G20t...

Second car, chose an Accord, but I should have saved more and got a newer/better car

For the Maxima, I should have saved more and held out for one of these:

For this Accord I am alright... prob. shouldn't have sold the Max... in any case, my next car will most likely be a 97-01 Prelude. Everytime I sit in one I want to keep it, and I sat in the back seat of one yesterday... it's tight but not impossible. I'd rather a small back seat than to have to drive another Accord.

CALL_911

Why did you sell the Maxima?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 02, 2009, 08:12:31 AM
For my first car I chose the Accord over a G20t...

Second car, chose an Accord, but I should have saved more and got a newer/better car

For the Maxima, I should have saved more and held out for one of these:

For this Accord I am alright... prob. shouldn't have sold the Max... in any case, my next car will most likely be a 97-01 Prelude. Everytime I sit in one I want to keep it, and I sat in the back seat of one yesterday... it's tight but not impossible. I'd rather a small back seat than to have to drive another Accord.

Haven't you had two Maximas?

r0tor

i found out about the limited run of 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport model after I bought my 2004 RX8... had I bought that I probably would be afraid of getting stuck in the snow driving home tonight.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 02, 2009, 08:13:33 AM
Why did you sell the Maxima?
Official reason was cause I needed money for my teeth after a biking accident... really though, I didn't like its size & it didn't have a sunroof. Over the long run this car has cost me way more than just keeping the Max would have. Stupid decision

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 02, 2009, 08:19:59 AM
Haven't you had two Maximas?
Yea my first car was a Maxima but I wound up crashing it about 2 months after I got it. Had I known then what I know now I would have fixed it & kept it for much longer.

I need to get away from cars that need motor swaps and suspension overhauls

MaxPower

What I got...

What I should have gotten...

I was being financially prudent at the time.  But the 2.5i sure is slow.   :banghead:

Eye of the Tiger

I thought you had a Taco with broken leaf springs.

MaxPower

Quote from: NACar on March 02, 2009, 09:08:20 AM
I thought you had a Taco with broken leaf springs.
Yeah, a couple years ago.  I still have the Taco, but it doesn't have broken leaf springs any more.

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on March 02, 2009, 08:29:51 AM
amazing, isn't it?
I must say. You're the first person I've known who likes it.

I come from a Ford family and they didn't even like it.

AutobahnSHO

So I WANTED

SAW

(in very poor shape)

BOUGHT

Will

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on March 02, 2009, 09:53:41 AM
I must say. You're the first person I've known who likes it.

I come from a Ford family and they didn't even like it.

If you're leaving the truck stock, I don't see an issue with it. It's strong and it lasts. 250k on my dad's ranger with no suspension isses (and it was beat on heavily). Yeah, they suck if you want to lower the truck, but I never had an issue with my '96 Splash.

I wouldn't mind still having that truck. Comfy, economical 4cyl, stylish, quick enough to get around with, and very useful. I liked it better as a vehicle than my Toyota or Datsuns.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...