Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Started by CALL_911, March 01, 2009, 09:09:53 PM

CALL_911

Post the car you bought, and the other cars you looked at. The car you would have bought, could have bought, or should have bought.

So I was looking at a....
d'oh. :hammerhead:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

When Mazda had a 10K rebate going on the FD RX-7 I should have done it. Add that with my own discount and the car would have been a steal.
With the money I'd have saved I could have gone ahead and ordered a new motor and turbo's for when the car blew up 3 years down the road.

And I can't see what you put up.

CALL_911

Quote from: Onslaught on March 01, 2009, 09:14:30 PM
When Mazda had a 10K rebate going on the FD RX-7 I should have done it. Add that with my own discount and the car would have been a steal.
With the money I'd have saved I could have gone ahead and ordered a new motor and turbo's for when the car blew up 3 years down the road.

And I can't see what you put up.

I didn't put up anything. It was something of a joke, considering I don't have a car. :huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

I see.
I don't know anything about you so I didn't know that.  :mask:

the Teuton

What I almost bought:

(I'm not kidding, same color and everything)

What I considered buying:

And what I bought:

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: Onslaught on March 01, 2009, 09:16:15 PM
I see.
I don't know anything about you so I didn't know that.  :mask:

It's cool.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

What I got:

(Representative photo)

What I wanted:

Turned out for the best, though.  I loved that Passat. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I had the opportunity to buy this when I graduated high school and passed on it. :(

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

What I bought

What I shoulda bought:

I got nothin'.

The Pirate

This is what I purchased.

This is what I should have purchased.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

What I bought:

Could have bought.

Should have bought:

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on March 01, 2009, 09:23:45 PM
This is what I purchased.

This is what I should have purchased.

You're doing it wrong. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

There was a laser blue Protege5, same year, slightly cheaper, with slightly more miles that I wanted to look at.  It didn't have a sunroof (which I prefer), and it had leather instead of cloth (which I also really wanted).  My parents and I withheld looking at it because the day we went to look was on a Sunday and the dealership that had it was closed.

I wish I got that blue instead.  I like that color more too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Well, since buying the Prelude I have driven two different cars I should have bought and one I very nearly did (but shouldn't have):
While I was still employed...
2003 Protege5- 99,000 miles, leather, sunroof, 5-spd, great condition for $6500
Basically, I decided the financially responsible thing to do would have been to save the money for college. I am not sure I was right, I think it would have been cheaper in the long run. Oh well.

When I was broke and bored...
1994 BMW 325i, pretty much the same deal as the 'Lude, high miles on the body, comparatively low miles on the engine. But, it was very well kept, had a nice aftermarket exhaust, and was for sale at an independent BMW shop so it had been fully inspected by experts. They were asking a very firm $2500. I probably would have tried to get it, except I knew it would last a couple days at the most because it was a hell of a good deal.

Still broke, but even more bored...
1996 VW Passat GLX. 120k, fully loaded 5-spd VR6 for $2800. Another good deal, but ultimately I think it would have ended up being real expensive. I was already to buy it, but I wanted to sell the Prelude first, it didn't happen so no VW for me. It was the best thing I think. I am holding onto the Prelude at least until I am out of school (so I don't have to deal with getting parental approval) and probably until it completely dies.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on March 01, 2009, 09:29:10 PM
You're doing it wrong. 

I want a truck.  And I'm tired of replacing brake calipers.  Outside, in winter.  It's not fun.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on March 01, 2009, 09:36:48 PM
I want a truck.  And I'm tired of replacing brake calipers.  Outside, in winter.  It's not fun.

I don't know about you, but I'd hate to have a truck as an only vehicle. Get a Taco, keep the Prot?g

TBR

Quote from: MrH on March 01, 2009, 09:30:57 PM
There was a laser blue Protege5, same year, slightly cheaper, with slightly more miles that I wanted to look at.  It didn't have a sunroof (which I prefer), and it had leather instead of cloth (which I also really wanted).  My parents and I withheld looking at it because the day we went to look was on a Sunday and the dealership that had it was closed.

I wish I got that blue instead.  I like that color more too.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the one I looked at, it seems like 90% of Proteges are either silver or laser blue, I definitely prefer black or the dark blue.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on March 01, 2009, 09:36:48 PM

Then don't replace them.  Or replace them inside in the winter.

Maybe you should have kept the Civic.  Maybe you should have shown a little more discretion with which specific Protege you bought.  But a truck is not the answer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

It's good you don't own a truck, because you wouldn't know what to do with it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Onslaught

What's wrong with trucks? I'd like to have one again

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 09:45:08 PM
It's good you don't own a truck, because you wouldn't know what to do with it.

Well, I could take a look at all the people who own trucks where I live. 

Wash, wax, and polish every weekend and pick up my kids from the bus stop with it. 

Trucks are great, but not as an only car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on March 01, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
Then don't replace them.  Or replace them inside in the winter.

Maybe you should have kept the Civic.  Maybe you should have shown a little more discretion with which specific Protege you bought.  But a truck is not the answer.

Yes, well, hindsight is 20/20, as they say.  And I do like the Proteg?, it's just ended up needing more upkeep than I prefer.  And one doesn't have the option of choosing when brake calipers fail, or choosing to perform work in a garage when one lives in an apartment complex.  Though, to be honest, I did nab a friend's garage for the caliper replacement.  Had to do the front pads and second bleeding outside though, and it was a cold freaking day.

Tacoma is definitely a right answer for me, as well.

Rupert

I bought an MG, I coulda bought a Fiat, and I shoulda held my horses for another month and bought an Alfa.

$3k, that.

Also, I bought a Ranger, I coulda bought an RX-7 (but the money didn't want to go there), and I shoulda bought a Trooper. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

No, you want the Ranger. Rangers make you feel like a man.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17864.msg1010645#msg1010645 date=1235969641
Trucks are great, but not as an only car.

You couldn't be more wrong. Trucks are the best choice for an only car because they can use all the same roads as a sedan and all the roads that the sedan can't.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 01, 2009, 10:18:18 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Trucks are the best choice for an only car because they can use all the same roads as a sedan and all the roads that the sedan can't.

But on the roads a sedan can go, the truck gets vastly worse gas mileage and doesn't drive as well. 

Like I said, trucks are great.  I don't particularly like pickups (although, that Nissan one is nice...the Navara.  I don't know what the US version is), but I like when people buy them and use them the way they're meant. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on March 01, 2009, 10:03:13 PM
I bought an MG, I coulda bought a Fiat, and I shoulda held my horses for another month and bought an Alfa.

$3k, that.

That's a pretty car... :wub:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Psilos, I like your MG better.  I didn't like the proportions of the Alfa.

Everyone else -- great compromise:

Now shut up!