The 7 Series is Back on Top

Started by BMWDave, August 08, 2005, 09:16:29 PM

BMWDave

Link

The 7 Series is Back on Top
By Ed Hellwig
Date posted: 08-08-2005

Sitting at an intersection in the new 2006 BMW 750i, we're hardly surprised when another new BMW 7 Series pulls up alongside us. We're in Pacific Palisades after all, home of the eight-figure house and the six-figure personal chef. In this area, a pair of $70,000 sedans at an intersection looks as natural as a nose job.

The guy looks like C. Everett Coop in a Zegna suit, and his smile says he's enjoying his $70K BMW. But what made him go for the new 750i? Was it the car's new look, its new more powerful V8, or the promise of an easier-to-use iDrive system that drew him to BMW's flagship over a Mercedes-Benz S-Class or an Audi A8?

Who are we kidding? He doesn't even know the BMW is new this year. He just saw it, drove it and fell in love with it.

After our two weeks in the 2006 BMW 750i, which takes the place of the 745i as the standard V8-powered 7 Series, we too have fallen under the car's spell.

The Makeover Makes it Better
The 7 Series of the last four years was designed to break the mold of traditional luxury-sedan design. This year's model was designed to repair it. The changes aren't drastic, but they are effective.

Gone are the odd-shaped headlights and their peculiar-looking "eyebrows." In their place are a set of standard adaptive bi-xenon headlamps with less prominent marker lights and clear turn-signal lenses. Instead of separating the headlights from the rest of the grille work, the new design integrates them into it. The inner edges mirror the shape of the wider twin-kidney grille, while the outer edges reflect the lines of the revised front air dam just below. The overall look is simple, symmetrical and less distracting.

Changes to the rear end are equally subtle. Although the trunk lid is slightly taller than before, its edges have been smoothed out for a less awkward look. The taillights that used to "float" on each side of the license plate have now been pushed to each side where they belong. A simple strip of chrome dresses it up a little and the effect works just well enough to make you forget what it looked like before.

Additional cosmetic changes include new wheel designs and a windshield that's almost an inch higher in relation to the hood, a change that allowed the designers to recline the glass further back for a sleeker profile.

New Engine, New Name
Other than the increase in displacement from 4.4 liters to 4.8 liters, the V8's only significant change compared to last year's engine is a two-stage intake manifold instead of a more complex infinitely variable design. BMW's engineers came to the conclusion that the wider power band of the larger engine made the variable design unnecessary.

With 360 horsepower and 360 pound feet of torque, the 4.8-liter V8 produces 10% more power and 9% more torque than the previous 4.4-liter. Solid improvements, but along with the extra power comes another 110 lbs. to carry around. The six-speed automatic transmission is carried over unchanged, but it's still maybe the best autobox around. Somehow it's always in the right gear. The manual shift buttons on the steering wheel seem superfluous.

You would expect the new 750 to be about as quick as the old one, yet we only managed a best 0-to-60 sprint of 6.4 seconds, with the transmission in sport mode. The last 745i we tested did it in six seconds flat. We can't fully explain this except to say two different cars on two different days at two different test facilities don't always produce the test numbers you expect.

The brakes shrug off the Beamer's extra weight, turning in consistent stops from 60 in just 117 feet.

More Than Numbers
Look at nothing but the numbers and the 750i might not appear to be much of an improvement. But spend some time behind the wheel and two things become obvious: the 7 Series was great before, and it's even better now.

The door swings open lightly yet thumps closed like it weighs twice as much. There's so much room you feel small until you fiddle with the perfectly shaped 20-way adjustable seats that now come standard with the sport package. Upgrade to the luxury seating package and you can lose your chiropractor's number as it adds heating, ventilation and massage functions.

Starting the engine still requires inserting the key fob followed by a push of the "start" button. It's an outdated setup compared to the keyless ignitions of most cars in this class, but you get used to the drill. The turn-signal-sized transmission lever also feels awkward at first, but quickly becomes second nature.

Ergonomic quirks are quickly forgotten with a press of the right pedal. The 750i moves out like a muscle car fresh out of charm school. The torque is immediate, the shifts quick and the noises just right. It feels like it could spin the rear tires even with the huge 275/40R19 meats that come with the sport package.

All 750s get an extra half inch of rear track for improved stability along with revised suspension bushings. Combined with perfectly-weighted steering, which has more feel than we remember (possibly due to the new bushings), the 4,486-pound BMW feels almost tossable. It's a big, heavy car, but it drives with an athleticism that's unique for its class.

If you're looking for a little more comfort, however, go with the Dynamic Drive suspension, which throws fewer jolts your way than the sport package does in day-to-day driving.

It Has its Faults
Unlike the exterior design revisions, the changes on the inside go unnoticed. Some of the climate-control knobs get a new finish and the selection of wood trim has changed. There's still soft-touch leather in all the right places, but if you look closely a few cheap-looking plastics are tucked away in the corners.

And if the iDrive system is easier to use, as BMW claims, we didn't notice. The control knob now has a soft leather top, something you're sure to appreciate the first time you pound it in frustration.

Back on Top
You don't have to be an investment banker in the Palisades to know the 750i is worth $70K. The good stuff is still there and the flaws have been fixed. Our faith in BMW has been renewed.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

That steering wheel is hideous, but otherwise the 750 is a LOT better than the 745 IMO.

BMWDave

QuoteThat steering wheel is hideous, but otherwise the 750 is a LOT better than the 745 IMO.
We had this argument before :lol:

You can opt for the other steering wheel...this one is only included in the sport package, I believe.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

QuoteThat steering wheel is hideous, but otherwise the 750 is a LOT better than the 745 IMO.

You can opt for the other steering wheel...this one is only included in the sport package, I believe.
Good, because I actually like the normal E65 steering wheel.

BMWDave

Good, because I actually like the normal E65 steering wheel.
I prefer this one, but opinion is opinion :)  

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

That is one ugly steering wheel :ph34r:  

giant_mtb

God that wheel is messed up. lol

Another thing that bugs me about that interior is the climate controls...they're like...pointing down instead of up towards the driver.

Raghavan

JYODER240

So where did the extra 110lbs come from?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ifcar

The wheel isn't that ugly by itself, it just doesn't fit with the blocky interior as well as the old one did. Good to hear that it's still available.  

TBR

I fail to see how the 750i can be at the top of the class when the 745i wasn't.

850CSi

QuoteI fail to see how the 750i can be at the top of the class when the 745i wasn't.
Some would say that the 745 WAS at the top of the class (I disagree).

I personally like the facelifted 7 a lot more, mainly because it's not butt-ugly. BTW it seems to be selling like crazy here in the Chicagoland area.

TBR

I like the new styling better, but that doesn't make it the best in class.  

ifcar

They made some changes, but they all but ignored the car's greatest flaws: iDrive (which they improved, but not enough) and the price. More power is nice, but the old version was also powerful. New styling is nice, but the old styling didn't seem to be hurting sales (and I don't like the new styling, especially the taillight extensions).

They certainly didn't do anything to it to change it from not best-in-class to best-in-class. Either you already thought it was the best (I assume some people do) or you still don't.  

850CSi

^I agree.

If I had to buy a car in this class, it would be either an A8 or 750i, depending on what my other car was.

Raza

QuoteI fail to see how the 750i can be at the top of the class when the 745i wasn't.
So when you change a car it can't be better?  More power, easier on the eyes, a revised iDrive, better handling, that doesn't make it better?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote^I agree.

If I had to buy a car in this class, it would be either an A8 or 750i, depending on what my other car was.
I wouldn't buy an A8, not me.  It's a great car, but I'd rather buy a W140 S600.  Save alot of cash, too.  And it's faster.

The 750i or Jag XJR are at the top of my list.  The 750i is at the top of my dad's though, and that's what counts.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I think I would take an XJR.

Does this count as trolling?  :ph34r:  

TBR

So when you change a car it can't be better?  More power, easier on the eyes, a revised iDrive, better handling, that doesn't make it better?
This car is undoubtedly better, but only in ways that it was already the best (handling and acceleration), the problems that have prevented it from being considered best in class are still there.

Raza

This car is undoubtedly better, but only in ways that it was already the best (handling and acceleration), the problems that have prevented it from being considered best in class are still there.
Handling and acceleration were the car's strong points, but not enough to overcome the problems.  The XJR handles about as well, the S500 is up there, and the S500 ties or beats it to 60, the XJR does as well.  Now, the 750i is faster, more athletic, better looking, and more user friendly.  I think that means it could be best in class.  I think it is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I suppose that the S500 is faster with the 7-spd, but the 7-series is still not user friendly and styling shouldn't be considered a factor when deciding what car is best in class. I don't think that improvement in the two areas it was the best in makes it best in (or almost the best in) class.

For something unrelated, how is the W140 replacement search coming?

BMWDave

Handling and acceleration were the car's strong points, but not enough to overcome the problems.  The XJR handles about as well, the S500 is up there, and the S500 ties or beats it to 60, the XJR does as well.  Now, the 750i is faster, more athletic, better looking, and more user friendly.  I think that means it could be best in class.  I think it is.
I've brought up evidence in another thread about this...the S500 wasnt faster than the 7er.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Stop deluding yourself into thinking that...M/T (the only magazine that I could find tests of similar cars) got 6.5 seconds to 60 for a Mercedes S500 Sport Model.

Link with Info

M/T got 0-60 in 6.1 seconds for a BMW 745i equipped with the sport package.

Link with Info

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteI suppose that the S500 is faster with the 7-spd, but the 7-series is still not user friendly and styling shouldn't be considered a factor when deciding what car is best in class. I don't think that improvement in the two areas it was the best in makes it best in (or almost the best in) class.

I think we're getting a 750i.  Between the styling of the W221 and Mercedes' maintenance policy, the BMW is going to be much cheaper to own, and because I'm a BMW cardholder, they're a little nicer to us and are willing to give some things here and there.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteI suppose that the S500 is faster with the 7-spd, but the 7-series is still not user friendly and styling shouldn't be considered a factor when deciding what car is best in class. I don't think that improvement in the two areas it was the best in makes it best in (or almost the best in) class.

I think we're getting a 750i.  Between the styling of the W221 and Mercedes' maintenance policy, the BMW is going to be much cheaper to own, and because I'm a BMW cardholder, they're a little nicer to us and are willing to give some things here and there.
Cool.

Raza

QuoteStop deluding yourself into thinking that...M/T (the only magazine that I could find tests of similar cars) got 6.5 seconds to 60 for a Mercedes S500 Sport Model.

Link with Info

M/T got 0-60 in 6.1 seconds for a BMW 745i equipped with the sport package.

Link with Info
I saw 5.9 for the S500 and 6.1 for the 745i back in the day in Automobile Magazine.  6.7 for the LS430 Ultra Lux.  I've also seen 6.8 for an SL500--the things can change some times Dave.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

And, Dave, R&T says you're wrong. They got 5.8 seconds for a S500 and 6.1 for a 745Li.

BMWDave

QuoteAnd, Dave, R&T says you're wrong. They got 5.8 seconds for a S500 and 6.1 for a 745Li.
Bring me links.  I provided links for my position, now you back yours.

And it would be more comparable to a 745i, not the Li version.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Cool.
I don't know.  He switches, but overall he's reluctanct to selling the W140.  He really likes it, but in ten years and a rear end shunt, it's time we give it up.  I love the car too.  There's an ineffible feeling you get driving it, but it's time for something new.

In short, though, I think I'd buy another W140.  I don't think I'd buy another W220.  Just doesn't have the same character.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteAnd, Dave, R&T says you're wrong. They got 5.8 seconds for a S500 and 6.1 for a 745Li.
Bring me links.  I provided links for my position, now you back yours.

And it would be more comparable to a 745i, not the Li version.
BMW also claims the same 0-60 for the 745i and Li, so it should be the same.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i