Driving Test

Started by dazzleman, April 10, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

How many times did you have to take your road test before you passed it?

36 (94.7%)
2 (5.3%)
0 (0%)
4 or more
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

AutobahnSHO

Zero for my car license. (If you passed WY driver's ed, you didn't have to take the driving test.)
One try for my Army mail truck license- it was a big 5ton "breadtruck". On itty-bitty German streets.
(I drove really carefully for a few months but after a while I was whizzing everywhere..)

I flunked the bus test here in GA. The guy is really crabby and gets mad if you slam the door. (push the one button before the other button.) And I missed some of the "before driving safety checks." Then I almost hit another bus in the parking lot and almost hit a curb and almost hit a stop sign with the mirror.
So I reviewed their little checklist and retested a couple weeks after I had "practiced" (done nothing.)
Will

Rupert

I also passed the gub'ment 4x4 test on the first try. :lol:

They're giving us Excursions for the field season this year. It should be funny for all the people who haven't driven hugo-ginormous solid-front-axle trucks with V-10s to try to pass their tests. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

VTEC_Inside

Preface: Our current graduated licensing system came into effect just in time for me. Three levels/entry requirements:
G1 - Required to pass written only test, but can't drive alone for 1yr, or 8months with driver training.
G2 - Road test. I believe this is the same as the previous single road test criteria. Pass this and you can drive by yourself, but probationary for minimum of 1yr
G - Second road test. This one involves highway driving. This is the normal drivers license.

I can't remember my G1 written test but I only wrote it once and passed.

I aced my G2 entrance road test the first time I took it. I'll never forget that I actually got honked at during that test too, lol...

I took my G test in my moms old 5spd Sunbird. If I remember correctly, I got 3 checks off on that one. One of those checks was because I didn't have both hands on the wheel turning at a large intersection. No respect for the manual transmission cause 1st gear don't last that long and I kinda need my hand to shift....

Since those days I've written to: 3 different ministers of transportation, our current dipshit Premier, and had a letter to the editor published suggesting that we need more thorough driving education and testing procedures in our Province. Alas, nothing has changed.

On a related note, has anyone ever sat out in the parking lot of your DMV(or equivalent) and watched the noobs get road tested? I can't even remember who I was there with last, but I was waiting for them in the parking lot and it was absolutely hilarious and sad at the same time. I saw one kid fail and she had only barely pulled out of her parking spot. That was a pretty suspenseful 5min, lol...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rupert

I have a friend who (says he) passed the driving test with one hand on the wheel the whole time, and it was a minivan. :lol:

Of course, in Eugene, where we both took the test, they don't even make you parallel park, so...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BENZ BOY15

One try.

I took it in the Suburban. My two faults were 1) driving too fast (even though I wasn't!) & 2) backing up, I hit the curb just a little, which should have failed me but she gave me credit cuz I was in the 'Burban.

dazzleman

So far, only Roy had to take the test twice.  That's surprising.  I thought the vast majority on here would have passed on the first try, but I didn't think the percentage would be this high.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

nickdrinkwater

Once.  I think our test is harder than yours.

dazzleman

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2009, 11:53:37 AM
Once.  I think our test is harder than yours.

What did your test consist of, and how long did it last?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2009, 11:57:12 AM
What did your test consist of, and how long did it last?

45 minutes.  You have to learn three manouvres - 3 point turn, reverse around a corner, and parallel park - two of which you will have to do during the test, which two being down to the examiner.  You need to drive a manual for a full licence or you can drive an automatic, and be licenced to drive only automatic cars.  You also have demonstrate you can check things relating to maintaining the vehicle (two out of ten checks inc fluid levels etc).  I'm sure there's some other things but I can't remember.

dazzleman

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2009, 12:02:48 PM
45 minutes.  You have to learn three manouvres - 3 point turn, reverse around a corner, and parallel park - two of which you will have to do during the test, which two being down to the examiner.  You need to drive a manual for a full licence or you can drive an automatic, and be licenced to drive only automatic cars.  You also have demonstrate you can check things relating to maintaining the vehicle (two out of ten checks inc fluid levels etc).  I'm sure there's some other things but I can't remember.

What a difference.  My test was about 5 minutes.  And there are no separate licenses for manuals or automatics.  There's also nothing about vehicle maintenance, though I learned about that in driver's ed.

Lazerous

I only took it once. Only got one point taken off for not signaling to turn into a parking spot. :rolleyes:

dazzleman

Quote from: Lazerous on April 11, 2009, 01:08:37 PM
I only took it once. Only got one point taken off for not signaling to turn into a parking spot. :rolleyes:

the beginning of an illustrious driving career..... :evildude:

sandertheshark

2x.

On the first run, the driving instructor flipped out when I rolled through an intersection which she thought was a four-way stop, but there was no stop sign for the street I was on.  In the process of flipping out she grabbed the wheel.  Then at the conclusion of the test she informed me that since she seized control of the vehicle, I was disqualified.  Needless to say my reaction to that information did nothing to win over the DMV.

dazzleman

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 11, 2009, 01:26:53 PM
2x.

On the first run, the driving instructor flipped out when I rolled through an intersection which she thought was a four-way stop, but there was no stop sign for the street I was on.  In the process of flipping out she grabbed the wheel.  Then at the conclusion of the test she informed me that since she seized control of the vehicle, I was disqualified.  Needless to say my reaction to that information did nothing to win over the DMV.

So you failed and BenzBoy passed the first time.....go figure.  That shows you the value of those tests.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on April 10, 2009, 04:36:33 PM
Where's the option for zero? The road test is optional in Texas.

No wonder CJ's friends keep getting into accidents.  That's moronic.

I passed the written and road in one try each.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18371.msg1039919#msg1039919 date=1239548837

No wonder CJ's friends keep getting into accidents.  That's moronic.

I passed the written and road in one try each.

What did your road test consist of?  Was it really easy?

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on April 12, 2009, 09:10:03 AM
What did your road test consist of?  Was it really easy?

It was pretty easy.  Safety check, parallel parking, driving along a shopping center (that's a tricky part, due to right of way), then out on to the main road, a few lights, a few turns, then you turn around at a stop sign, merge back into traffic and go back to the DOT.

And I took it at the "hard" DOT.  Apparently the test at the other local one was even easier.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18371.msg1039928#msg1039928 date=1239549720
It was pretty easy.  Safety check, parallel parking, driving along a shopping center (that's a tricky part, due to right of way), then out on to the main road, a few lights, a few turns, then you turn around at a stop sign, merge back into traffic and go back to the DOT.

And I took it at the "hard" DOT.  Apparently the test at the other local one was even easier.

I took my test at an 'easy' site.  It was considered easy because of the light traffic, and lack of a traffic light.  It was basically driving around the block, with parking and a u-turn thrown in.

cozmik

I selected one, but I didn't have to take one per se. We had driver's ed in high school, with a road portion, etc, and all we had to do was pass that to get our license.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

NomisR

Took it was, was easy.

Simple check mirrors, parallel park, back up straight, stop sign, lights, 3 point turn, and pull into parking space. 

My uncle took the test 4 times and didn't pass.. he eventually bribed one of those DMV guys to pass him.  My aunt would not let him drive in the US.  His driving scares me. 

Our driving test should be like Finland

QuoteIn Finland, the car driver's training can be obtained either in a private driving school or given by a near relative who has a driver's licence. If the person is trained by a relative, the relative must obtain a special instructor's permit and have a car fitted and inspected with an extra set of brake pedals for the front passenger. The training for B class licence requires 30 hours of instructed driving, including a spell on a slippery driving course (NOTE: SKID PAD!!!), and 20 theory lessons. After this, the person must pass a computerized theory test and a driving test in city traffic with a minimum length of 30 minutes. C class training is similar, but longer.

The initial licence is issued for two years. During this time, the new driver may receive a maximum of two traffic fines in total. If the number of fines is exceeded, the licence is revoked and the driver is required to re-take the exam. Even with one fine, the interim period may be extended for a maximum of two years. During the interim period, the new driver must pass a short refresher course, which includes a slippery driving course, and participate in dark time driving training, unless this was part of the initial training. (Finnish lighting conditions prevent the dark time training during summer.)

SVT666

ChrisV

Once for both the written and driving test. The driving test wasn't a simple one, but it only took about 20 minutes. Drove all over town. Used my folk's 5 speed manual trans Pinto wagon, 'cause neither of my cars was ready on the day of the test (didn't think that the testers would be impressed by a half assembled custom or my race car...).

My stepson just got his license a couple weks ago. Passed easily on the first try, too. Took the written, and there's only 20 questions. His test was stopped at question 17 because he already got all 17 right to that point. Since you can miss 3 and still pass, I guess the assumption is he already passed so no need to question any further. of course, he had already answered all the questions right when he took the practice test before evenr getting training or cracking a book...  :nutty:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: ChrisV on April 14, 2009, 06:44:17 AM
Once for both the written and driving test. The driving test wasn't a simple one, but it only took about 20 minutes. Drove all over town. Used my folk's 5 speed manual trans Pinto wagon, 'cause neither of my cars was ready on the day of the test (didn't think that the testers would be impressed by a half assembled custom or my race car...).

My stepson just got his license a couple weks ago. Passed easily on the first try, too. Took the written, and there's only 20 questions. His test was stopped at question 17 because he already got all 17 right to that point. Since you can miss 3 and still pass, I guess the assumption is he already passed so no need to question any further. of course, he had already answered all the questions right when he took the practice test before evenr getting training or cracking a book...  :nutty:

Does your state have laws on him driving minors around? California's law says that you can't drive anyone under 18 for a year. When I got my license, it was 6 months. My parents were anal about this rule for about 3 weeks, and then they either forgot or just didn't really care anymore...I suspect it was the latter.

Does he have a curfew in your state or your household? Mine was to tell my parents when I thought I would be home, which mid night on weekends (in reality, it was more like 3AM) and I wasn't allowed to go out at night during the week.

FoMoJo

I passed it on the first try.  I think everyone did back then.

My daughter took 2 tries for her 'G' level; as per the previous description of Ontario's current license requirements by VTEC.  She was really ticked-off at not passing on the first try but she hardly drove for the 3 years prior to her taking the test.  She retook the test a couple of weeks later and passed.  Sadly, the main reason she wanted her driver's license was for ID.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 14, 2009, 09:35:15 AM
I passed it on the first try.  I think everyone did back then.

My daughter took 2 tries for her 'G' level; as per the previous description of Ontario's current license requirements by VTEC.  She was really ticked-off at not passing on the first try but she hardly drove for the 3 years prior to her taking the test.  She retook the test a couple of weeks later and passed.  Sadly, the main reason she wanted her driver's license was for ID.

VTAK controls licensing too?!??!?!?!?! What if it doesn't kick in?!?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 14, 2009, 07:54:04 AM
Does your state have laws on him driving minors around? California's law says that you can't drive anyone under 18 for a year. When I got my license, it was 6 months. My parents were anal about this rule for about 3 weeks, and then they either forgot or just didn't really care anymore...I suspect it was the latter.

Does he have a curfew in your state or your household? Mine was to tell my parents when I thought I would be home, which mid night on weekends (in reality, it was more like 3AM) and I wasn't allowed to go out at night during the week.

Kentucky now has a dumb graduated licensing system. To me it seems pointless since teens don't care, they'll drive around with all their friends anyway. And the only way they can get caught is if they are already pulled over and the officer notices it.

My brother just barely got his license in time to avoid those restrictions.

NomisR

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 14, 2009, 03:37:28 PM
Kentucky now has a dumb graduated licensing system. To me it seems pointless since teens don't care, they'll drive around with all their friends anyway. And the only way they can get caught is if they are already pulled over and the officer notices it.

My brother just barely got his license in time to avoid those restrictions.

HS kids today looks like college kids anyways. 

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on April 14, 2009, 03:39:44 PM
HS kids today looks like college kids anyways. 

No, they really don't.  Every time I drive by the high school or go to the mall, I think "holy crap, those kids look like they're 10!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Onslaught

1st time. I had more trouble getting the little old woman giving the test into my moms 86 Ford Bronco then I had doing the test.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on April 14, 2009, 06:45:27 PM
No, they really don't.  Every time I drive by the high school or go to the mall, I think "holy crap, those kids look like they're 10!"

No way. 10 year olds can still have that cute-kid look to them. Not so with high school kids. Most of them have that complete-douchebag look to them.