Driving Test

Started by dazzleman, April 10, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

How many times did you have to take your road test before you passed it?

36 (94.7%)
2 (5.3%)
0 (0%)
4 or more
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on April 16, 2009, 08:46:05 PM
And test difficulty, at least the driving part, it very dependent on the tester and the specific location.

Yes, that's true, though some states could have generally higher standards than others.

There are also a decent number of very bad drivers who never actually passed a road test, but bribed the state inspector.  The inspector who gave me my road test was later arrested for taking large numbers of bribes on an ongoing basis that were facilitated by driving schools for their students who were unable to pass that joke of a test.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Galaxy

Quote from: dazzleman on April 16, 2009, 08:31:45 PM
Do you know what the rationale is for accepting some states and not others?

It doesn't really make sense because licenses are generally interchangable among states, so even if one state has higher standards than another, if they accept another state's license without retesting, there's no guarantee the higher standards are met.

I got my license in a state that Germany doesn't accept at all (New York), and when I transferred it to Connecticut (a state they partially accept), both the written and road test were waived.  So I'm not really sure what the difference is from the German perspective.

The way I understand it you have to prove in which state you took your drivers education and the required test. So someone which a Texas licences would still be accepted if he can prove he took his test in Arizona.

the Teuton

I have to mention this:

I was one point away from failing both the written test and the driving test (I scored 76% on both of them), and I've never had an accident.  In fact, I'd say I am a better driver than most people on the road.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

93JC

Everybody thinks they're a better driver than most other people on the road...

dazzleman

Quote from: Galaxy on April 17, 2009, 12:57:22 AM
The way I understand it you have to prove in which state you took your drivers education and the required test. So someone which a Texas licences would still be accepted if he can prove he took his test in Arizona.

Interesting.  I don't know how anybody would prove the original state of their license.  Who keeps that kind of paperwork?  I have no paperwork whatsoever that would indicate I ever had a New York license.  I surrendered the license itself when I switched to a Connecticut license.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: 93JC on April 17, 2009, 08:14:27 AM
Everybody thinks they're a better driver than most other people on the road...

That's for sure, and the law of averages says they can't possibly be right.

I think I'm an average driver.  Not bad, but not perfect either.  I think my driving skills have declined over time since most of the driving I do now is very easy driving.  I drive mostly on wide roads, rarely have to parallel park, and I only drive 8,000 miles per year.  I don't think I'm a bad driver, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle an extreme driving situation.

93JC

I also think I'm fairly average. I can't park very well (although that's also a function of the huge turning radius on my car), I speed, I tend to cut people off once in a while...

I had a really weird experience Tuesday night which made me momentarily question my driving skills. I made a lane change in front of a guy in an Accord. I shoulder-checked and everything, made sure he was a couple car lengths back. About five seconds after I complete the change he flies past me on the right, gives me a honk and starts flicking on his turn signals, presumably trying to convey the message "Hey asshole, use your signals!" But I'm 99.99999% sure I DID signal my lane change, although I probably checked my mirror, checked my shoulder then signalled instead of signalling first.

TBR

Quote from: 93JC on April 17, 2009, 08:58:27 AM
I also think I'm fairly average. I can't park very well (although that's also a function of the huge turning radius on my car), I speed, I tend to cut people off once in a while...

I had a really weird experience Tuesday night which made me momentarily question my driving skills. I made a lane change in front of a guy in an Accord. I shoulder-checked and everything, made sure he was a couple car lengths back. About five seconds after I complete the change he flies past me on the right, gives me a honk and starts flicking on his turn signals, presumably trying to convey the message "Hey asshole, use your signals!" But I'm 99.99999% sure I DID signal my lane change, although I probably checked my mirror, checked my shoulder then signalled instead of signalling first.

Perhaps you have a bulb out?

93JC

I considered that, and believe it or not have yet to bother checking. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: 93JC on April 17, 2009, 12:47:08 PM
I considered that, and believe it or not have yet to bother checking. :lol:

Does your blinkers blink extra fast? 

the Teuton

Have you checked the blinker fluid lately?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

I think it's pretty hard to come up with a metric to define an "average" driver or a "good" driver. By some respects, I'm a terrible driver. I speed, California stop, drive somewhat aggressively at times, get impatient with slow people in the way, etc. In other ways, I'm a great driver. I can control the car in most slippery situations, I have a lot of experience on a wide variety of roads, I try to be courteous to other drivers and not get in their way, I've never been in a real accident, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

I'm pretty certain that I'm the best driver who has ever lived.  Well, Senna may have been better.  #2 ain't bad though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

I just took the temporary permit test.

35/40 questions.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2009, 12:53:06 PM

35/40 questions.
Permit test =/= driving test.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2009, 12:53:06 PM

35/40 questions.

Is that a passing grade?  If so, congratulations.

With all the time you've had to prepare, I'm surprised you didn't get 40/40.

2o6

Quote from: dazzleman on April 18, 2009, 01:30:08 PM
Is that a passing grade?  If so, congratulations.

With all the time you've had to prepare, I'm surprised you didn't get 40/40.

30/40 is passing. (75%)

One question I wasn't paying attention and clicked and confirmed the wrong answer. The others had to do with the BAC for a person under the age of 21.

dazzleman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2009, 01:30:57 PM
30/40 is passing. (75%)

One question I wasn't paying attention and clicked and confirmed the wrong answer. The others had to do with the BAC for a person under the age of 21.

Congratulations, man.  :rockon: :cheers:

I know you waited a long time for this, and have had a lot of false starts and frustrations along the way.  That should only make this moment sweeter.

Best of luck in learning to drive, getting your license, and keeping safe out on the road.

Xer0

I remember taking my driving test and it being a complete joke.  I went around the block, parked in a parking lot, and got asked a few questions.  5 minutes later I walked out with a brand spankin new Illinois license.  But then again I had been driving pretty regularly since like 14 (my dad loved to take me out and have me drive which I didn't mind in the least) so I was pretty ready for it.

2o6

Quote from: dazzleman on April 18, 2009, 01:35:40 PM
Congratulations, man.  :rockon: :cheers:

I know you waited a long time for this, and have had a lot of false starts and frustrations along the way.  That should only make this moment sweeter.

Best of luck in learning to drive, getting your license, and keeping safe out on the road.

Thanks.  :cheers:

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2009, 01:30:57 PM
The others had to do with the BAC for a person under the age of 21.

What did you put?

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 18, 2009, 03:53:14 PM
What did you put?

I put the lowest choice: .00 but under .05.

The actual answer was: More than .02 but less than .08.

The second choice and you will be considered "under the influence" if you are under the age of 21.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2009, 05:41:12 PM

I put the lowest choice: .00 but under .05.

The actual answer was: More than .02 but less than .08.

The second choice and you will be considered "under the influence" if you are under the age of 21.

I would think since it's illegal to drink under 21, it would be .00  :confused:

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 18, 2009, 07:43:04 PM
I would think since it's illegal to drink under 21, it would be .00  :confused:

That's what I thought too.

Rupert

Some medications have alcohol.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Psilos on April 18, 2009, 08:55:39 PM
Some medications have alcohol.
Do you actually take those in enough quantity to actually raise your BAC?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Yes. Well, I don't, but some people conceivably would.

BimmerM3

Quote from: thecarnut on April 18, 2009, 09:55:43 PM
Do you actually take those in enough quantity to actually raise your BAC?

Yes. I've heard of people blowing over .02 right after they used mouth wash too.