Driving Test

Started by dazzleman, April 10, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

How many times did you have to take your road test before you passed it?

36 (94.7%)
2 (5.3%)
0 (0%)
4 or more
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

giant_mtb

%100 written.
%100 driving.

No lie.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 14, 2009, 07:08:18 PM
No way. 10 year olds can still have that cute-kid look to them. Not so with high school kids. Most of them have that complete-douchebag look to them.

I suppose so.  But I remember thinking "Did high school kids look this young when I was in high school?"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I drove my sister's Tercel around a block and parallel parked in a spot big enough for a Land Cruiser limo...

BimmerM3

I also passed on my first try. I think I got an 86: 10 points off for scraping against a cone when backing into a spot (which I hadn't practiced, because I didn't we had to do it), and I think the other 4 was for creeping out into an intersection before making a left turn, or something like that.

ChrisV

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 14, 2009, 07:54:04 AM
Does your state have laws on him driving minors around? California's law says that you can't drive anyone under 18 for a year. When I got my license, it was 6 months. My parents were anal about this rule for about 3 weeks, and then they either forgot or just didn't really care anymore...I suspect it was the latter.

Does he have a curfew in your state or your household? Mine was to tell my parents when I thought I would be home, which mid night on weekends (in reality, it was more like 3AM) and I wasn't allowed to go out at night during the week.

There are restrictions on him driving with other teens for a year, and yeah, there's time limit curfews. Our hosehold curfew is earlier than the state one, however.

When I was driving, being able to haul around your buddies was part of the benefits of getting your license, especially with afterschool activities, where one kid could drive a number of others home. It was a fairly rural area, but getting your folks to get home from work early to take each kid individually home after an after-school activity was a PITA, so it was kind of accepted that a few of the older kids with licenses would do that.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on April 14, 2009, 08:02:01 PM
I suppose so.  But I remember thinking "Did high school kids look this young when I was in high school?"

I was actually thinking the opposite.  Depends on what age though.  Juniors and Seniors all typically looks really old while the Freshmen looks really young. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on April 15, 2009, 12:46:31 PM
I was actually thinking the opposite.  Depends on what age though.  Juniors and Seniors all typically looks really old while the Freshmen looks really young. 

The age gap seems to be getting more and more noticeable. At least it seems like it; maybe it's just because we're on the outside looking in.

giant_mtb

Yeah...I remember last year at the beginning of my senior year I thought all the freshman looked like they were a bunch of little kids.

TBR

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 14, 2009, 03:37:28 PM
Kentucky now has a dumb graduated licensing system. To me it seems pointless since teens don't care, they'll drive around with all their friends anyway. And the only way they can get caught is if they are already pulled over and the officer notices it.

My brother just barely got his license in time to avoid those restrictions.

Texas had the same system. Until you had your license for 6 months you could have 2 under-21, non-family members in the car (might have been 1), you couldn't drive between 12:00-6:00, and you couldn't use your cell phone while driving.

I was actually relatively good about following the regulations, though a couple weeks prior to the restrictions being lifted I did have 6 other people in the car (all seat-belted of course).

Tave

I passed the road test on my first try with flying colors. A friend told me about the asshole lady who was deducting points for doing 30 mph @ 7:00 AM in a 7:30-4:00 school zone (though I think she still passed him). When I slowed down for that she thought I was Jesus incarnate.

I passed the written test on my first try by the skin of my teeth, because I only read the manual once, at least 6 months before I took it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

If I had to retake my tests, I'd be much more likely to fail the written test than the road test.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

I'll be taking my saturday!

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on April 15, 2009, 08:11:48 PM

uh-huh.

And, Dazzle, I am with you. Luckily the state of TX doesn't believe in high standards.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on April 15, 2009, 08:17:37 PM
uh-huh.

And, Dazzle, I am with you. Luckily the state of TX doesn't believe in high standards.

Whateva.  :rolleyes:

dazzleman

It's not so much high or low standards, but that the written tests as such stupid questions that don't make sense and don't translate in real driving conditions.  Things like -- how many sides does a stop sign have?  If you can read the word "stop," who cares?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on April 16, 2009, 04:10:45 AM
It's not so much high or low standards, but that the written tests as such stupid questions that don't make sense and don't translate in real driving conditions.  Things like -- how many sides does a stop sign have?  If you can read the word "stop," who cares?

True enough. At least a third of the questions on the Texas test were baby seat related, now how many 16 year olds are going to have cause to use a baby seat before they forget all of the legalities?

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on April 15, 2009, 08:02:03 PM
If I had to retake my tests, I'd be much more likely to fail the written test than the road test.

Not me.  Every year or two I pick and reread the manual. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on April 16, 2009, 08:48:37 AM
True enough. At least a third of the questions on the Texas test were baby seat related, now how many 16 year olds are going to have cause to use a baby seat before they forget all of the legalities?

Well, since a lot of Texans are anti abortion, they're expecting high teen pregnancy rates.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on April 15, 2009, 08:11:48 PM

What do you know, I get my 993 GT2 on that day too!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on April 16, 2009, 02:23:38 PM
Well, since a lot of Texans are anti abortion, they're expecting high teen pregnancy rates.

I am going to restrain myself from pointing out that there's another way to prevent teen pregnancy.

On a related note, I just found out today that an 18 year old friend back home is expecting a child in August.

93JC

Quote from: TBR on April 16, 2009, 03:06:58 PM
I am going to restrain myself from pointing out that there's another way to prevent teen pregnancy.

Yeah, but that way sucks.

NomisR

On a related note, I just found out today that an 18 year old friend back home is expecting a child in August.

They're suppose to abstain!

Hmm.. but I don't think anyone from my HS was pregnant while I was there..

I remembered on my written test though, there was a question that asked, what does this sign mean, but there's no picture.  I got it right anyways.

93JC

Quote from: NomisR on April 16, 2009, 03:24:54 PM
I remembered on my written test though, there was a question that asked, what does this sign mean, but there's no picture.  I got it right anyways.

Maybe it was space for you to draw your own sign.

Raza

There really isn't.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Galaxy

I?m not sure if it means anything, but the german government accepts drivers licences issued in the following US states without any additional test:

ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW MEXICO, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH
CAROLINA, SOUTH DAKOTA, UTAH, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, WYOMING [PUERTO RICO]

Holders of drivers licences from the following states have to take a theoretical german exam:

CONNECTICUT, FLORIDA, IDAHO, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NORTH CAROLINA, OREGON,
TENNESSEE, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Drivers lincences issued in the following US states are not accepted at all, and the holders have to take both a theoretical and practical test:

ALASKA, CALIFORNIA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, MAINE, MARYLAND, MINNESOTA, MONTANA, NEVADA,
NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, RHODE ISLAND, TEXAS,
VERMONT, WASHINGTON [AMERICAN SAMOA, GUAM, VIRGIN ISLANDS]

Of course this does not matter if you are here simply as a tourist, where the three month rule applies.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 16, 2009, 02:57:49 PM
What do you know, I get my 993 GT2 on that day too!

Congrats, Man!

NomisR

Quote from: Galaxy on April 16, 2009, 04:45:06 PM
I?m not sure if it means anything, but the german government accepts drivers licences issued in the following US states without any additional test:

ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW MEXICO, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH
CAROLINA, SOUTH DAKOTA, UTAH, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, WYOMING [PUERTO RICO]

Holders of drivers licences from the following states have to take a theoretical german exam:

CONNECTICUT, FLORIDA, IDAHO, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NORTH CAROLINA, OREGON,

Drivers lincences issued in the following US states are not accepted at all, and the holders have to take both a theoretical and practical test:

ALASKA, CALIFORNIA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, MAINE, MARYLAND, MINNESOTA, MONTANA, NEVADA,
NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, RHODE ISLAND, TEXAS,

Of course this does not matter if you are here simply as a tourist, where the three month rule applies.

Time for me to get an AZ license.

Rupert

Quote from: 93JC on April 16, 2009, 03:35:49 PM
Maybe it was space for you to draw your own sign.

Haha, nice!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Galaxy on April 16, 2009, 04:45:06 PM

Do you know what the rationale is for accepting some states and not others?

It doesn't really make sense because licenses are generally interchangable among states, so even if one state has higher standards than another, if they accept another state's license without retesting, there's no guarantee the higher standards are met.

I got my license in a state that Germany doesn't accept at all (New York), and when I transferred it to Connecticut (a state they partially accept), both the written and road test were waived.  So I'm not really sure what the difference is from the German perspective.

Rupert

And test difficulty, at least the driving part, it very dependent on the tester and the specific location.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA