My Enthusiast Frustration

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, April 10, 2009, 06:34:31 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

The last few months haven't been very pleasant when it comes to my automotive endeavours. It just seems that lately i'm having a harder time enjoying
my automotive outlet. I still love cars, read about them everyday and think about them constantly. I enjoy driving, in theory. Lately my penchant for perfection and
patience for things have seemed to get in the way. My BMW is driving me nuts, everyday it's a noise a whistle a click or a suspension quirk that just sucks the enjoyment out of it.

I spent a few hours the other night swapping the tires/wheels on the 540. Since i was in there i also changed a bad rear suspension link, something i planned to do on the hoist at my dads shop but decided not to let it go much longer. I also was hoping that it would clear up a few tracking issues i have with the car. Time flew by and it was a smooth job finish to end. I enjoyed it and was a nice way to end a usually stressful day. The next morning i was hoping for atleast some sign of progress with my suspension battle, and there was none.

Thinking about these issues just make it worse. I'm pissed when i'm driving it, for some reason i expect perfection out of a 10 year old 150K battered suspension system. I dropped almost a grand a few weeks back replacing links, tie rods and bushings. I had it aligned and it's barely any better. I'm getting sidetracked though.

Add to all this the absolute lack of any quality roads in the area and it really drives me nuts. The roads are busted and filled with holes, i haven't seen a smooth piece of pavement in the last 3-4 years around here. I just took my Z on a 30 mile trip out to a shop to deliver some product. It was a 15 mile stretch of road with 2 turns, the rest of the time it was perfectly straight and flat with only the crashing noises and rattles to keep me company. In my area for atleast 20 miles in all directions it's nothing but flat straight roads, sure to suck the enthusiasim out of anyone.

Now that i think about it i'm surprised i still have so much enthusiasm for cars given what seems to be all the cards stacked against me.

Just felt link ranting, don't feel bad if you don't understand anything you just read.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Sounds like you need a  :rastaman: or sum  :partyon:!      :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

That's very annoying when you spend a lot of time working on what you think is a fix for a problem, and it turns out that it didn't do much to help.  I understand your frustration.  But it's sort of like golf -- that one perfect shot makes all the bad ones worth it.  Hopefully, you'll get that perfect shot and get it fixed the way you want.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Dude, suspension noises (well, any noise on my car) drive me absolutely insane.  It's maddening right now, as my swaybar end links are trashed and the struts are pretty toasty too.  I should be a lot happier when I fix those bad boys (sometime this summer).  I hear ya on the road situation though, it blows up here too.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

I own an MGB. Of course I know how you feel. :lol:

I've been having an epic battle with the emissions since goddamn February, and I check craigslist everyday for Miatas.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Sounds like you need to move. Supposedly West Virginia has excellent roads.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: TBR on April 10, 2009, 07:50:45 PM
Sounds like you need to move. Supposedly West Virginia has excellent roads.

Or i could just move to europe, anywhere within 30 miles of the ring would work. Then i could just drop some change and enjoy the ride.

VTEC_Inside

I can relate to pretty much everything there in one way or another.

Despite any enjoyment that I may get from real cars, they all end up being a pain in the ass in one way or another at some point in varying degrees.

It may not be the ring, but I've been contemplating joining back with the rookie kart league I used to be in a few years back.

With the karts, I just went, drove a car I didn't have to worry about on a SMOOTH track, got a good workout and went home. I miss it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Speed_Racer

I feel you. My suspension makes all sorts of noise, and as I fix things trying to find a solution, it doesn't go away. In the meantime, additional problems just pile up on top of my suspension issues. Of course, it's 23 years old...

Rupert

What sort of car do you have, Speed?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

sportyaccordy

I feel you man. I hate my car, and having to deal with drivers here.

CALL_911

I hate how late NYS makes you get your license. At the moment, I also hate the very idea of drivers ed.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Maybe think about new(er) cars...

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 10, 2009, 06:34:31 PM
It was a 15 mile stretch of road with 2 turns, the rest of the time it was perfectly straight and flat with only the crashing noises and rattles to keep me company. In my area for atleast 20 miles in all directions it's nothing but flat straight roads, sure to suck the enthusiasim out of anyone.

I bet that CTS you test drove is looking pretty good right now ;)

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 10, 2009, 11:04:09 PM
I hate how late NYS makes you get your license. At the moment, I also hate the very idea of drivers ed.

The idea of driver's ed is excellent. It's the execution that's rather lacking, at least for the driving student.

dazzleman

I took driver's ed during the summer when I was 16.  I loved it.  It was a different group of kids than I normally knew, si it was a good chance to make new friends.  It was a lot of fun, and it was really good to get the training.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Black, I hear you on the squeek, rattle, and suspension noise front.  Tracking is something that I just used to with my car I guess, it tends to follow ruts in the road when I mount the 17" summers.  Also the ride brings out every rattle and squeak in the interior... I am seriously about to pull an Onslaught and just strip the god damn thing and pad/glue/lubricate everything till the noises go away, and maybe dynamat the thing while I'm at it.  MONGO NO LIKE NOISE! :rage:

ChrisV

Drive some really old and beat up cars sometime. You'll really appreciate what you have.

About the roads, though, yeah, you need to move.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

The right front strut is done on my SVT and it pisses me off.  I can't afford to replace it right now so it's going to clunk on every bump from now until work hours get increased back to regular hours.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 10, 2009, 11:56:31 PM
I bet that CTS you test drove is looking pretty good right now ;)

Nope, but i do miss my brand new and tight EVO i sold.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: ChrisV on April 11, 2009, 07:03:09 AM
Drive some really old and beat up cars sometime. You'll really appreciate what you have.

About the roads, though, yeah, you need to move.

I've driven old cars and being old doesn't automatically mean they were bad, but i'm sure you're one that doesn't need that pointed out. It's not that i expect a car to transcend it's year of manufacture(or the decade). I've had older cars and they weren't complete rattle traps, actually my 80's sports car were rather smooth and quite. The few older cars i've been in(50's and 60's) that were both original and redone examples weren't any worse than my BMW.

I am aware that older cars have more problems, but also can be much simpler. I guess i'll find out, currently i'm looking for an older project car. I seem to always come back to a 70ish 911 or maybe early 80's. I currently am waiting to see how a forced sale situation is going to work out. I know of a 79 911 turbo that is in storage and may soon be sold in the next 2-3 months. The shell and engine are seperated so I might be able to pick it up at a reasonable price.

r0tor

yes, i too freak out every once in awhile and start punching interior pieces when i get a persistent rattle
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2009, 08:58:22 AM
yes, i too freak out every once in awhile and start punching interior pieces when i get a persistent rattle

You should perform your signature weight reduction technique right on top of them.  That will solve the problem.  :evildude:

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2009, 08:58:22 AM

Since my Camaro is the only one with consistent rattles, I restrain myself when it comes to punching. I'm afraid to break anything. :lol:

Onslaught

I can't tolerate rattles in any automobile. If I'm in it for any period of time and hear some fucking rattle then I'm working on it. The MX-5 is a noisy little mother fucker but that's just how those things are.
But if something rattles that shouldn't then I go ape shit. I am however sick of working on cars. And I just don't feel like messing with the one I have now when it acts up like that.

ChrisV

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 11, 2009, 08:55:09 AM
I've driven old cars and being old doesn't automatically mean they were bad, but i'm sure you're one that doesn't need that pointed out.

I'm not talking old, restored cars or old low mileage cars. I'm talking 200k mile beaters that are merely used to get around in. Rattles, squeaks, bits falling off, things that don't work, but it doesn't matter because you only paid $100 for the car... ;) And then there's race cars that are so loud and rattly... After that, a semi luxury newer car with a couple rattles seems like heaven. lol!

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

I know how you feel.  For the longest time, I felt this ennui when it came to driving.  After my road trip to South Carolina and the mountain runs I did down there, I felt rejuvenated.  I finally feel like I have my teeth back.  Sure, I'm still driving the same mostly boring roads (one or two good corners, but usually stuck behind someone doing 40mph, without regard to conditions, congestion, or speed limit), but now I feel that enthusiasm and aggression I had as a teenager.  I'm driving smarter now, instead of just putting my foot down until I have to brake, and I've slowed down on the highways, but I'm really enjoying driving again.

What you need is a road trip to the unfamiliar.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18374.msg1039703#msg1039703 date=1239489986
I know how you feel.  For the longest time, I felt this ennui when it came to driving.  After my road trip to South Carolina and the mountain runs I did down there, I felt rejuvenated.  I finally feel like I have my teeth back.  Sure, I'm still driving the same mostly boring roads (one or two good corners, but usually stuck behind someone doing 40mph, without regard to conditions, congestion, or speed limit), but now I feel that enthusiasm and aggression I had as a teenager.  I'm driving smarter now, instead of just putting my foot down until I have to brake, and I've slowed down on the highways, but I'm really enjoying driving again.

What you need is a road trip to the unfamiliar.

FOR TRUE FOR TRUE.
Find some empty back roads and go flat out, or do an autox or something.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

Quote from: Psilos on April 11, 2009, 03:14:36 AM
The idea of driver's ed is excellent. It's the execution that's rather lacking, at least for the driving student.

That's what I meant.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi