I need a new car

Started by Onslaught, April 25, 2009, 08:36:15 PM

the Teuton

Zee Germans aren't particularly reliable.  The VQ might as well be a tank engine because it runs like one.  It will not die.

My vote is G35 6-speed.  Close thread.

Spend under $15,000 for a fast, luxurious sports coupe and you can work on it yourself.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 03:05:14 AM
Zee Germans aren't particularly reliable.  The VQ might as well be a tank engine because it runs like one.  It will not die.

My vote is G35 6-speed.  Close thread.

Spend under $15,000 for a fast, luxurious sports coupe and you can work on it yourself.

Doesn't he want a 4 door?

Onslaught

I'm wanting new. I'm a perfectionist's and way beyond anal. Almost to the point of needing professional help probably.  When I have a used car I can't stand all the little imperfections and stuff on the inside and out and will spend insane money trying to make it perfect again. I didn't get the MX-5 new and all the little nicks that I would have never put in the interior drive me nuts even after 12+ years latter.

As for working on it I'd like a warranty for a few years. I don't want to work on a car after I get home from work on cars all day long. I hate working on cars to tell the truth. But 6-10 years from now when something will eventually go wrong with it I'd like for it to be something that I'm familiar with.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 09:26:49 AM
I'm wanting new. I'm a perfectionist's and way beyond anal. Almost to the point of needing professional help probably.  When I have a used car I can't stand all the little imperfections and stuff on the inside and out and will spend insane money trying to make it perfect again. I didn't get the MX-5 new and all the little nicks that I would have never put in the interior drive me nuts even after 12+ years latter.

As for working on it I'd like a warranty for a few years. I don't want to work on a car after I get home from work on cars all day long. I hate working on cars to tell the truth. But 6-10 years from now when something will eventually go wrong with it I'd like for it to be something that I'm familiar with.

G37.

Does it seem like I'm trolling?  I wouldn't recommend a BMW or Audi to anyone keeping it past the warranty period.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

?

Although the G37 does sound like the best choice for you thus far.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Why new? G35 coupe is about as good as the G37, but is more efficient and about 10-15K less.

Plus you already have a coupe. A stiffly sprung, loud, cramped up coupe. With each of the cars listed, outside of the 328i they all have at least one of those negative qualifiers. If you're gonna keep the Miata, I would go with something completely on the other side of the spectrum, or at least a 4 door with a legitimate back seat.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2009, 01:34:20 PM
Why new?

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 09:26:49 AM

Onslaught

I've not listed any coupes. I want a 4 door. And I don't want used.

the Teuton

If you're going to keep it for 10 years, don't get a German car unless you want to pay $300 when your driveshaft bushing goes out at 150,000 miles (not including labor) or pay $1,500 for some absurd electronic deficiency.  They're great cars, but they're not great old cars anymore like the bulletproof E30s.  They have too many things in them that do go wrong.

G37, IS250, Cadillac CTS, Pontiac G8 GXP or something.

Minpin

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 01:37:05 PM
I've not listed any coupes. I want a 4 door. And I don't want used.

What do you think about a G35 Coupe?  :evildude:

I second the Cadillac CTS though. That is what I would buy.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 01:41:25 PM
If you're going to keep it for 10 years, don't get a German car unless you want to pay $300 when your driveshaft bushing goes out at 150,000 miles or pay $1,500 for some absurd electronic deficiency.  They're great cars, but they're not great old cars anymore like the bulletproof E30s.  They have too many things in them that do go wrong.

Holy shit not $300 at 150,000 miles!

Come on teuton, use your head.  :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Minpin on April 26, 2009, 01:42:49 PM
I second the Cadillac CTS though. That is what I would buy.
I agree. The G37 is nice also.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

According to their site the CTS starts at around 37K. That's more then I want to spend. And it kind of looks like a brick to me.

Minpin

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 01:50:32 PM
According to their site the CTS starts at around 37K. That's more then I want to spend. And it kind of looks like a brick to me.

You could negotiate a very good deal on any Cadillac at this point. But if you don't like the looks none of that matters.

Onslaught

Quote from: Minpin on April 26, 2009, 01:52:09 PM
You could negotiate a very good deal on any Cadillac at this point. But if you don't like the looks none of that matters.

It's not ugly. But I don't love it. But I don't love the looks of any 4 door so I'll look into it.

the Teuton

Quote from: Minpin on April 26, 2009, 01:44:04 PM
Holy shit not $300 at 150,000 miles!

Come on teuton, use your head.  :lol:

That's just for the part.  Labor is about $1,000 -- or so sayeth the BMW dealer for my friend's M3 back home.  And the roommate with the M3 here keeps having his driveshaft bolt back out.  It's a pain in the ass and a safety hazard.

And the iDrive thing -- $1,500 to fix that piece of crap.  Oil changes need BMW's software to reset the computer.  You can't check your oil, and it's just not the way to go, imo, of course. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 01:50:32 PM
I would go with the G37 then!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 01:41:25 PM
If you're going to keep it for 10 years, don't get a German car unless you want to pay $300 when your driveshaft bushing goes out at 150,000 miles (not including labor) or pay $1,500 for some absurd electronic deficiency.  They're great cars, but they're not great old cars anymore like the bulletproof E30s.  They have too many things in them that do go wrong.

That's why I don't see myself in a BMW. I have two friends that are BMW nuts and that's all they'll drive. And they seem to have many little problems here and there that I would never put up with when they get a few years on them.

nickdrinkwater

Onslaught

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 26, 2009, 02:00:25 PM
Mazda 6 MPS?
If they still made the MS6 then I'd get that. But they don't.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 01:54:05 PM
That's just for the part.  Labor is about $1,000 -- or so sayeth the BMW dealer for my friend's M3 back home.  And the roommate with the M3 here keeps having his driveshaft bolt back out.  It's a pain in the ass and a safety hazard.

And the iDrive thing -- $1,500 to fix that piece of crap.  Oil changes need BMW's software to reset the computer.  You can't check your oil, and it's just not the way to go, imo, of course. 

If a $1200 repair bill once every 10 years is going to break your bank, you probably shouldn't be buying a brand new $35,000 car to begin with. I'm not saying it's not a lot, but if I really liked the car better, it'd probably be worth it.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 26, 2009, 02:09:09 PM
If a $1200 repair bill once every 10 years is going to break your bank, you probably shouldn't be buying a brand new $35,000 car to begin with. I'm not saying it's not a lot, but if I really liked the car better, it'd probably be worth it.

Another problem area with current BMWs:  power steering pumps, fuel level sensors, brake pads wearing out quickly (well, they're soft, so they just kinda do...), the tires suck, theft and vandalism, insurance...

But besides those and a few other problems, they're wonderful cars.

AutobahnSHO

I got yer 4-door right here. 

BUT
Pricing will be rough for a while, (because of initial demand,) and you have to wait at while still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAhxz9fcgmE&feature=related

:lol:
Will

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 02:17:08 PM
Another problem area with current BMWs:  power steering pumps, fuel level sensors, brake pads wearing out quickly (well, they're soft, so they just kinda do...), the tires suck, theft and vandalism, insurance...

Our power steering pump gave out in the warranty period. The brake pads aren't really a huge deal, considering they're wear and tear items anyway. The tires, well, just opt out of the RFTs. Theft and vandalism, yeah, but any luxury car is prone to that. Insurance, well, you're spending $36k.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Taurus SHO is auto only.

Only the non-direct injection CTS is available with a manual.  I'd go with a G37 definitely.
Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2009, 01:34:20 PM
Why new? G35 coupe is about as good as the G37, but is more efficient and about 10-15K less.

Plus you already have a coupe. A stiffly sprung, loud, cramped up coupe. With each of the cars listed, outside of the 328i they all have at least one of those negative qualifiers. If you're gonna keep the Miata, I would go with something completely on the other side of the spectrum, or at least a 4 door with a legitimate back seat.

Read the fucking thread!!! :rage:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 02:17:08 PM

The anti BMW thing is getting a bit tiring.  All cars have advantages and disadvantages - is it a big deal to replace brake pads slightly more often.

Re: vandalism and insurance, those are two things that are nothing to do with the cars, they are circumstance.  You could say that about any car.

MrH

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 26, 2009, 03:28:18 PM
The anti BMW thing is getting a bit tiring.  All cars have advantages and disadvantages - is it a big deal to replace brake pads slightly more often.

Re: vandalism and insurance, those are two things that are nothing to do with the cars, they are circumstance.  You could say that about any car.

+1.  And you don't need to use factory brake pads....
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV