I need a new car

Started by Onslaught, April 25, 2009, 08:36:15 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 01:54:05 PM
That's just for the part.  Labor is about $1,000 -- or so sayeth the BMW dealer for my friend's M3 back home.  And the roommate with the M3 here keeps having his driveshaft bolt back out.  It's a pain in the ass and a safety hazard.

And the iDrive thing -- $1,500 to fix that piece of crap.  Oil changes need BMW's software to reset the computer.  You can't check your oil, and it's just not the way to go, imo, of course. 

You don't have to get iDrive on a 3er. Just don't get nav.

And you can reset the oil light - there's a tool you can buy.

All labor is free the first 4 years and you don't have to go to the dealership. An import garage can fix everything for less, and that's saying you can't do it yourself...

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 26, 2009, 05:20:35 PM
You don't have to get iDrive on a 3er. Just don't get nav.

Then you just paid at least $33k for a car that looks like an economy car on the inside.

QuoteAnd you can reset the oil light - there's a tool you can buy.

When you go to sell the car, try explaining why the car hasn't had the oil changed in 10 years to some know-it-all teenager in need of his first BMW.

QuoteAll labor is free the first 4 years and you don't have to go to the dealership. An import garage can fix everything for less, and that's saying you can't do it yourself...

The car gets really expensive after the warranty ends.  A Nissan or Toyota won't.  I mean, sure, it's not going to be his only car, but it will be his primary car, and it will be subjected to the $97/hr. labor rater BMW wants to charge.  That wouldn't be the case with any of the earlier generations, but that memory chip in the key makes a lot of difference.
[/quote]
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 06:11:48 PM
Then you just paid at least $33k for a car that looks like an economy car on the inside.
The sans-idrive interior looks much better
When you go to sell the car, try explaining why the car hasn't had the oil changed in 10 years to some know-it-all teenager in need of his first BMW.
Did you read what he quoted
The car gets really expensive after the warranty ends.  A Nissan or Toyota won't.  I mean, sure, it's not going to be his only car, but it will be his primary car, and it will be subjected to the $97/hr. labor rater BMW wants to charge.  That wouldn't be the case with any of the earlier generations, but that memory chip in the key makes a lot of difference.

Once again, did you read what you quoted? Except in special cases, you would have to be stupid to take an out of warranty car to a dealer.

the Teuton

If you don't, none of the records will show up on the key.  And if they don't show up on the key, your service is useless.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Of the choices... I would prob do the G37

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on April 26, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
Taurus SHO is auto only.

Nothing a blowtorch, some tools, a few pedals, couple other parts, and a little work won't fix.  ;)

don't get your panties in a bunch!!  :hammerhead:
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 26, 2009, 06:44:29 PM
Nothing a blowtorch, some tools, a few pedals, couple other parts, and a little work won't fix.  ;)

don't get your panties in a bunch!!  :hammerhead:

Where would you get the tranny from?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 26, 2009, 06:46:34 PM
Where would you get the tranny from?

I bet an Accord tranny would fit. They fit in Corollas, so it only makes sense.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Quote from: TBR on April 26, 2009, 06:24:19 PM

Once again, did you read what you quoted? Except in special cases, you would have to be stupid to take an out of warranty car to a dealer.
I don't know about that. Unless you know of a independent shop that has a really good reputation the dealership can be the best place to take it. You normally get paid more to work at a dealership so better techs go to the place that pays the most. This isn't always true but more times then not it is.

If/when something over my head mechanically goes wrong with my MX-5 it went to my local Mazda dealer. Now that it went under I'm not sure what I'll do if something I don't fell like doing pops up.

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 26, 2009, 02:28:29 PM
I got yer 4-door right here. 

BUT
Pricing will be rough for a while, (because of initial demand,) and you have to wait at while still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAhxz9fcgmE&feature=related

:lol:
I can't do it. My mom is a Ford person and I've bashed them for so long now that if I owned one she would win. I couldn't live with that.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

do they make one of these little faces that throw up?

This will do  :pee:

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 06:11:48 PM

Jesus, Teuts, anti-BMW troll, much?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on April 26, 2009, 07:01:23 PM
Jesus, Teuts, anti-BMW troll, much?

It's a great car if you have a warranty, but it has the potential of being a terrible one if you don't.

Rupert

Yeah, just like any new car that cost $30k.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on April 26, 2009, 07:15:56 PM
Yeah, just like any new car that cost $30k.

Find me a 4-cylinder 5-speed Honda Accord.  There are some cars that are more high maintenance than others.  No one even knows how the N engines will do over the long haul in the BMWs, much less all of the other bits and pieces.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 07:20:32 PM
Find me a 4-cylinder 5-speed Honda Accord.  There are some cars that are more high maintenance than others.  No one even knows how the N engines will do over the long haul in the BMWs, much less all of the other bits and pieces.

Maybe so, but any new car today is going to be waaaaay more reliable than a new car was 20 years ago. In an absolute sense, there is no such thing as an unreliable new car (aside from lemons).

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 07:20:32 PM

It's new, so it's full of uncertainty. That's a great reason to not buy a BMW. :rolleyes:

So he probably shouldn't buy a G37 either, because no one knows how the VQ37HR will do over the long hall. Same goes for the RENESIS and the IS' 2.5L V6.

Did you get raped by a BMW or something?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Minpin

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 26, 2009, 07:58:35 PM

Did you get raped by a BMW or something?

He said that he has many times on here.

See what had happened was....
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raza

What's the problem with FWD or AWD?  AWD seems unnecessary, sure, but there are a lot of great FWD cars out there that can be had for a lot less than your 36K budget. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18502.msg1049629#msg1049629 date=1240802559
What's the problem with FWD or AWD?  AWD seems unnecessary, sure, but there are a lot of great FWD cars out there that can be had for a lot less than your 36K budget. 
AWD is fine with me.

I'm just not a fan of FWD. And while torque steer isn't as bad in modern cars as it was years ago they still show signs of it from time to time. Now for most people this isn't a big deal. Hell, most people don't even know WTF that is anyway. But I don't like it.

And RWD cars are a little more "sporty" MOST of the time. I want a practical car but don't want to sell my soul in the end. If Mazda hadn't turned the new 6 into such a big American car I'd think about it.

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 09:31:11 PM
AWD is fine with me.

I'm just not a fan of FWD. And while torque steer isn't as bad in modern cars as it was years ago they still show signs of it from time to time. Now for most people this isn't a big deal. Hell, most people don't even know WTF that is anyway. But I don't like it.

And RWD cars are a little more "sporty" MOST of the time. I want a practical car but don't want to sell my soul in the end. If Mazda hadn't turned the new 6 into such a big American car I'd think about it.

I really like the previous gen Mazda6.  My dad has one (V6 5-speed), and you can tell it's FWD, but it still has great poise.  I'd definitely rock one, he's been talking of selling his and getting a fun car now that he has no kids at home, and I'm sure he'd give me a good price on it.  Shame that your 'needs to be new' mandate rules it out, but I can certainly understand the allure of a brand new car.

Having not driven any of the cars you've listed, I'd be very interested in the BMW and the Lexus.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Onslaught

Quote from: The Pirate on April 26, 2009, 09:43:27 PM
I really like the previous gen Mazda6.  My dad has one (V6 5-speed), and you can tell it's FWD, but it still has great poise.  I'd definitely rock one, he's been talking of selling his and getting a fun car now that he has no kids at home, and I'm sure he'd give me a good price on it.  Shame that your 'needs to be new' mandate rules it out, but I can certainly understand the allure of a brand new car.

Having not driven any of the cars you've listed, I'd be very interested in the BMW and the Lexus.
I'm a fan of the original 6. I like the way it looked and drove. I wasn't in love with all the silver plastic the original ones had in the interior. But I could have got over that.
I drove the piss out of one when Mazda did the "Rev it up" thing a few years back in Charlotte. For a FWD car it was very good.

The new one is ok. But I feel it's more for the family man with kids now. The last one felt more like a car for someone in their 30's who still wanted to have fun when driving but needed some room. Someone like me!

the Teuton

Do you want a near lux like a 3er or something a little more insane like an Evo?

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
Do you want a near lux like a 3er or something a little more insane like an Evo?
Near Lux. Something I can take on long trips or take 3 people out on the town. But still have a little fun in it when I'm by myself.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 09:31:11 PM
AWD is fine with me.

I'd say that many RWD cars are less sporty than some FWD cars, but that's another discussion.  You're entitled to your opinion.  If I were you, I'd look into a Civic Si and thirteen thousand dollars in my bank account (or a GTI Autobahn Pack and 11K), but if that's not the way you want to go, it's not the way you want to go. 

If AWD is on the table, I'd get a 5MT Evo if it must be new.  Even if it's only half as exciting as the VIII and IX, it's probably twice as exciting as a 3 series.  Evos are pretty grown up nowadays, so they're probably worth a look.  I was parked next to (well, behind, really, it was parallel) an Evo X for a couple of days and in that blue color it looked pretty good.  I thought for a second if I should have tried to stretch my budget another 11K to get one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

I'm going to have to go for the ugly duckling:  The Acura TSX.  With the exception of being a little ugly and wrong-wheel-drive, someone please tell me why someone who is planning on keeping the car for 10 years shouldn't buy it.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 26, 2009, 10:08:20 PM
I'm going to have to go for the ugly duckling:  The Acura TSX.  With the exception of being a little ugly and wrong-wheel-drive, someone please tell me why someone who is planning on keeping the car for 10 years shouldn't buy it.

It's ugly and expensive.  29K starting price for a car no more luxurious than a GTI? 

10 years isn't that long a time for a car that's going to be cared for by the owner.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 06:54:01 PM
I can't do it. My mom is a Ford person and I've bashed them for so long now that if I owned one she would win. I couldn't live with that.

hahaahahahaha

As lame as that sounds on teh internets, I totally understand.

You should try to go drive one anyway, and let me know how it is. (Shouldn't they be out later this summer, if it's a 2010 model??)
Will

TBR

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 06:51:22 PM
I don't know about that. Unless you know of a independent shop that has a really good reputation the dealership can be the best place to take it. You normally get paid more to work at a dealership so better techs go to the place that pays the most. This isn't always true but more times then not it is.

If/when something over my head mechanically goes wrong with my MX-5 it went to my local Mazda dealer. Now that it went under I'm not sure what I'll do if something I don't fell like doing pops up.

I figured most towns of decent size have a decent independent. That isn't the case back home, so I took my car to the dealer. But, here in Winston there's an excellent Honda independent.