I need a new car

Started by Onslaught, April 25, 2009, 08:36:15 PM

Quote from: Onslaught on April 25, 2009, 08:56:48 PM
Have any of you had any time behind the wheel of a G37?

I drove a G35 2007 model, so not quite a G37 but pretty similar.  Overall I liked it alot, seems like and ideal sports sedan if you want good performance, mid size room, and japanese reliability all rolled into one.  It's good you are going to drive them yourself, different strokes for different folks.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on April 26, 2009, 01:50:32 PM
According to their site the CTS starts at around 37K. That's more then I want to spend. And it kind of looks like a brick to me.

btw, carsdirect has CTS's starting at ~$33.4k. And as someone else already pointed out, you can probably bargain a better deal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2009, 10:11:12 PM
It's ugly and expensive.  29K starting price for a car no more luxurious than a GTI? 

10 years isn't that long a time for a car that's going to be cared for by the owner.

I know I'm in the minority here, I actually quite like the looks of the TSX. It looks more high class than the GTI, IMO. Not to mention, you'd have to price out the GTI to $27k to get the same options as the TSX (leather and sunroof, which are bundled in packages).

In all honesty, I'd almost certainly get a GTI (or a 128i) over a TSX, but I can see why someone else wouldn't.

And yeah, 10 years isn't that old, especially since Onslaught takes good care of his cars. Teuts, I think you're concentrating way too much on the 10 years thing. Not to mention, you're forgetting that you only know all these things that go wrong with BMWs because you worked at the dealership. I'm sure if you worked at an Infiniti dealership you'd have a pretty good list of "common" problems as well.

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 26, 2009, 11:00:21 PM
hahaahahahaha

As lame as that sounds on teh internets, I totally understand.

You should try to go drive one anyway, and let me know how it is. (Shouldn't they be out later this summer, if it's a 2010 model??)
I could just see the smile on her face every time I drove to her house. Nope, can't have that.

I'll drive one anyway. I do work at a Ford dealership so I'll drive lots of them eventually.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18502.msg1049655#msg1049655 date=1240805119
I'd say that many RWD cars are less sporty than some FWD cars, but that's another discussion.  You're entitled to your opinion.  If I were you, I'd look into a Civic Si and thirteen thousand dollars in my bank account (or a GTI Autobahn Pack and 11K), but if that's not the way you want to go, it's not the way you want to go. 

If AWD is on the table, I'd get a 5MT Evo if it must be new.  Even if it's only half as exciting as the VIII and IX, it's probably twice as exciting as a 3 series.  Evos are pretty grown up nowadays, so they're probably worth a look.  I was parked next to (well, behind, really, it was parallel) an Evo X for a couple of days and in that blue color it looked pretty good.  I thought for a second if I should have tried to stretch my budget another 11K to get one.

I'd probably take a MS3 over the Si. I could get a MS3 for way less than I could a Si. But I don't think either one of them look all that great.

I don't trust the Evo. Sorry if we have any Misu fans here. But I've know way too many people who had different ones that gave them problems all the time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on April 27, 2009, 04:35:39 AM
I do work at a Ford dealership so I'll drive lots of them eventually.

wha wha what??
So she won already!!   :huh:  :nutty:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on April 26, 2009, 06:46:34 PM
Where would you get the tranny from?

Pfft. That would be the easy part of building a manual tranny 2010 SHO... :lol:
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 27, 2009, 05:01:54 AM
wha wha what??
So she won already!!   :huh:  :nutty:
Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai and Suzuki for 14 years. And I worked on all the Mazda cars and most of the other imports when they came in. They never really gave me many Fords unless they HAD to do it.
I'm not trying to bash domestic cars but I don't like working on them. When you've worked on imports for so long you kind of just want to stick with that. And most of the guys at the shop had worked on Fords all their
lives so it all worked out in the end. They got to work on what the liked and so did I.

Now we have a new owner and it's just  Ford, Mazda and Hyundai.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2009, 10:11:12 PM
It's ugly and expensive.  29K starting price for a car no more luxurious than a GTI? 

10 years isn't that long a time for a car that's going to be cared for by the owner.
TSXs are loaded to the gills with equipment standard, are available with the big block V6 and actually don't look bad. I sat in one at the car show and definitely loved the interior and stereo. I'd imagine it would be pretty weak with teh 4 banger though.

For 29K I would def. spring for a used G37 though. Then a 335i. THEN a TSX.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 27, 2009, 03:28:36 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, I actually quite like the looks of the TSX. It looks more high class than the GTI, IMO. Not to mention, you'd have to price out the GTI to $27k to get the same options as the TSX (leather and sunroof, which are bundled in packages).

In all honesty, I'd almost certainly get a GTI (or a 128i) over a TSX, but I can see why someone else wouldn't.

And yeah, 10 years isn't that old, especially since Onslaught takes good care of his cars. Teuts, I think you're concentrating way too much on the 10 years thing. Not to mention, you're forgetting that you only know all these things that go wrong with BMWs because you worked at the dealership. I'm sure if you worked at an Infiniti dealership you'd have a pretty good list of "common" problems as well.

I think I suffer from Taco Bell Syndrome with the BMW dealership.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

You probably do.  When you see things from the inside, you see a lot of flaws that outsiders aren't aware of, and they become magnified.  What you don't see is the flaws of the competition.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

2010 Ford Fusion Sport
265 hp
AWD
6 spd auto with manumatic shifting.

Go drive one before you discount it.  I drove the 2010 I4 with the 6 spd manual and the V6 with 6 spd auto and it is head shoulders better then any mainstream sedan I've ever driven.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2009, 08:46:39 AM
I think I suffer from Taco Bell Syndrome with the BMW dealership.
BMWs give you chronic diarrhea?

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 27, 2009, 04:45:16 PM
BMWs give you chronic diarrhea?

Only the ones without the Sport seats.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 27, 2009, 03:28:36 AM

Leather and sunroof on the GTI are bundled in the same package (as of 2008, as far as I know), with something else in the Autobahn pack.  They might have changed it since then. 

The TSX just annoys me.  It went from a good looking (but also overpriced) car to some hideous monstrosity only outdone by the big brother TL.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on April 27, 2009, 04:39:26 AM
I'd probably take a MS3 over the Si. I could get a MS3 for way less than I could a Si. But I don't think either one of them look all that great.

I don't trust the Evo. Sorry if we have any Misu fans here. But I've know way too many people who had different ones that gave them problems all the time.

That's fairly legit on the Evo.  I hesitate to expect Mitsubishi to be selling cars in the US in 2010.  If the Evo is out, that leaves the 09 WRX; if it has fixed all the problems of the piece-of-shit Camry of the 2008, it should be one hell of a performance bargain.  And the looks shouldn't be a problem if you close your eyes and use the panic button to echolocate the car instead of visually identifying it.

MS3s are nice enough, but for a daily driver, no sunroof would rule it out for me.  If it's not a problem for you, it's a fast as hell car that handles well, and is practical, but just boy racer enough to not signal that you're ready to start a family. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2009, 05:29:48 PM
Leather and sunroof on the GTI are bundled in the same package (as of 2008, as far as I know), with something else in the Autobahn pack.  They might have changed it since then. 

The TSX just annoys me.  It went from a good looking (but also overpriced) car to some hideous monstrosity only outdone by the big brother TL.

Currently the "Sunroof Package" comes with the sunroof, 18" wheels and performance tires. The "Autobahn Package" has leather seats, leatherette trim, three rear headrests and "Crash Active Head Restraints."

I know this isn't an issue for Onslaught (or most people on this site really), but the auto on the GTI is also $1100 extra while it's a no-cost option on the TSX, which brings the price difference to barely over a grand. Granted, the DSG is probably a hell of a lot better than TSX's auto.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 27, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
Currently the "Sunroof Package" comes with the sunroof, 18" wheels and performance tires. The "Autobahn Package" has leather seats, leatherette trim, three rear headrests and "Crash Active Head Restraints."

I know this isn't an issue for Onslaught (or most people on this site really), but the auto on the GTI is also $1100 extra while it's a no-cost option on the TSX, which brings the price difference to barely over a grand. Granted, the DSG is probably a hell of a lot better than TSX's auto.

Interesting.  They keep changing this shit around. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i