Whaddya guys know about Taurii/Sables?

Started by J86, May 02, 2009, 01:30:13 PM

J86

Specifically, $3000 (so about 2000-ish) Taurus and Sable wagons?  Any specific problems to look for?
Thanks,

Eye of the Tiger

I know how to remove and test the multifunction switch, diagnose a no-park and no-intermittent wiper motor condition, and remove and bench bleed the brake master cylinder.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

J86

That is completely unhelpful.

Thank you.

Eye of the Tiger

Make sure the transmission fluid ain't black and goopy like molasses.

S204STi

I like those cars.  Really decent vehicles, comfy, and the wagons can stash a lot of shit.  I don't know about any issues though, sorry.

Edit:  I checked Alldata for TSBs, there are a few recalls involving the front coil springs due to corrosion, which is likely an issue in your area.  I would make sure that any vehicle has had the recall performed. 

There is also some mickey-mouse recall about pedal positioning with the adjustable pedals, and some recalls about the wiper motor, stop lamps, and headlamp switch.

You should be able to easily determine whether all applicable recalls have been performed by getting the VIN and calling a Ford dealership.

Eye of the Tiger

The only issue I know of is the typical owner - most of them don't seem to give a shit about their car.

Laconian

The backseats are super uncomfortable.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

J86

Eye of the Tiger

J86

Quote from: NACar on May 02, 2009, 02:13:11 PM
np 

:evildude:

based upon my informal observations, I'd agree with your observations about the average owner...

ifcar

Laconian

Quote from: ifcar on May 02, 2009, 03:00:11 PM
What don't you like about it?
The cushioning around the lumbar area is terrible.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2009, 03:23:43 PM
The cushioning around the lumbar area is terrible.

My friend (parents car) had one back in 2002 or so...the few times I rode in the back I kept thinking to myself...(this blows)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on May 02, 2009, 05:52:54 PM
Actually, that kinda makes me wish I had $3000.

Yeah, same.  I've always liked the 1st gen Infiniti Q45 as well. 

J86, my dad has a Mercury Sable wagon as a loaner for about a week when his car was in the body shop from getting hit.  He was actually rather pleased with the car as a whole.  His sentiments echo what R-inge said, comfy and pretty competent overall.  Definitely try to get one with the 24V DOHC motor though.  He was less than thrilled with the seats on the car, but that's a personal thing, so you may find them okay.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

I wish people would stop changing the names of cars.  It's Taurus', not Taurii.  It's also Focus', not Focii. :banghead:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 02, 2009, 06:12:39 PM
I wish people would stop changing the names of cars.  It's Taurus', not Taurii.  It's also Focus', not Focii. :banghead:

Fucus
Tanus

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 02, 2009, 06:12:39 PM

A plural version of a noun never has an apostrophe.  The apostrophe indicates a possessive form of the noun (e.g. Taurus' = belonging to the Taurus).

The plural of Taurus is Tauri.  I suppose Tauruses might also be acceptable.  Per the dictionary, either Foci or Focuses are acceptable plurals for Focus.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

I think there's also a rule that you don't follow irregular plurals from proper names that are only derived from other nouns. So even if foci or matrices is in the dictionary, you'd stick with Focuses and Matrixes.

the Teuton

My brother has a 2001 3.0 Vulcan V6 LX model.  That was the old pushrod 155 hp model.  The engine, according to a lot of people, is coarse, but I think it's fine.  The engine is mechanically stout and because it dates back to 1986, you know parts are there to fix it.  Apparently, it does have more head gasket issues than the 3.0 Duratec (200 hp), but that's only when it happens.  My brother's car was a commuter car for a long time, and it runs like a top.

The other brother had a 2.5 V6 Duratec Contour, and that motor is very similar to the 3.0 Duratec.  Make sure you know when the timing belt was done on that engine, or don't take it.  My bro's skipped the timing belt off the gear and it killed the motor at 198k miles.  Know what is going on with it.

Also, earlier than 2001 models seem to have more transmission problems than the later cars.  Once again, do some research.

Lastly on the mechanical front, springs and struts in these cars seem to go out fairly quickly because of their mass, and when they do, it can be dangerous.  Make sure there aren't any issues with them.

Otherwise, the Taurus is huge, offers good highway fuel economy (31 mpg over 500 miles for my brother with the Vulcan), and has been fairly reliable.  The interior is a little cheap, such as the vinyl door inserts peeling off, but the rest of it has held together nicely with very few rattles or squeaks.  Also, these cars tend to have some weird, very minor electrical issues at old age and high miles like windows being fussy or door locks deciding when to lock or unlock, but they're insignificant, and they really don't deter from anything.

Otherwise, I really like my brother's car, and I find it to be a good, if not generic, choice.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Duratec engines use a timing chain, not a belt.  A quick search shows little issue of timing chain failure on the 3.0L Duratec engines.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on May 02, 2009, 08:53:16 PM
Duratec engines use a timing chain, not a belt.  A quick search shows little issue of timing chain failure on the 3.0L Duratec engines.

I believe my bro's had a belt, but I could be wrong.

And Ford wouldn't re-engineer the wheel for 0.5 liters of displacement.  Are you sure?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on May 02, 2009, 08:55:56 PM
I believe my bro's had a belt, but I could be wrong.

And Ford wouldn't re-engineer the wheel for 0.5 liters of displacement.  Are you sure?

You are wrong, Duratec engines use timing chains (including the 2.5L V6 in the regular and SVT Contours).  As far as throwing the chain, no, I'm not 100% sure, but like I said, a search yielded nothing in the way of timing chain failures.  Your brother's car had 198K miles on it, with possibly an unknown service record (the car was bought with higher mileage at an inexpensive used car place, IIRC).  Timing chain failure at that point (while not good) isn't totally out of the question, for any engine.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on May 02, 2009, 06:30:52 PM
A plural version of a noun never has an apostrophe.  The apostrophe indicates a possessive form of the noun (e.g. Taurus' = belonging to the Taurus).

The plural of Taurus is Tauri.  I suppose Tauruses might also be acceptable.  Per the dictionary, either Foci or Focuses are acceptable plurals for Focus.
Sorry, I meant Tauruses and Focuses.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 02, 2009, 06:49:34 PM
I think there's also a rule that you don't follow irregular plurals from proper names that are only derived from other nouns. So even if foci or matrices is in the dictionary, you'd stick with Focuses and Matrixes.
Absolutely right.

AltinD

I had a Taurus 1995 model back in mid 2000 - Jan 2002

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

3.0L V6

Didn't someone on here have a 2.5 DOHC Duratec blow up because the timing chain failed?