Law Enforcement Memorial plates: LEO brownie points?

Started by Laconian, May 22, 2009, 08:33:15 PM

Laconian

I've been seeing a few Law Enforcement Memorial plates lately:

The thing is, I tend to notice them on cars that are massive ticket magnets. Just today I saw them on two Lamborghinis, a red NSX, a Viper, and a G37S. About a year ago I saw a Gallardo, a Spyker Laviolette, and a CL65AMG jousting back and forth on I-405, all of them with these LEM plates as well.

Some possible explanations:

• Speed demons buy them in an attempt to curry favor with traffic cops
  • Speed demons buy them in an attempt to masquerade as off-duty LEOs
  • Speed demons buy them because they sympathize with the plight of fine officers who fall in the line of duty
  • Speed demons are former cops who have somehow struck it very, very rich
  • The sampling is biased due to the fact that I ignore most cars except for fast ones

What do you think?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Whoops! I thought I had clicked Driving and the Law. Moving...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Speed demons who want to appear to be off duty cops probably are the main people who buy those plates.

A real cop wouldn't need those plates, and few real cops drive really expensive sports cars.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hounddog

I cannot speak for others here, but I never paid much attention to those types of things. 

Once, after I handed a guy his ticket he looked at me completely in shock and said, "But I am a supporter of the FOP."

My response, "Well, sir, that is very nice but I do not belong to the FOP.  You have ten days to take care of this citation."
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on May 22, 2009, 11:05:18 PM
I cannot speak for others here, but I never paid much attention to those types of things. 

Once, after I handed a guy his ticket he looked at me completely in shock and said, "But I am a supporter of the FOP."

My response, "Well, sir, that is very nice but I do not belong to the FOP.  You have ten days to take care of this citation."

That's the way it should be.  Paying $35 a year or something like that for a card or special license plate should not be a 'get out of jail free' card for somebody to break the law.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Well, there's no way that anybody in any of those vehicles might be mistaken for an off duty or retired LEO. No cop has that kind of money.

Probably just people trying to curry favor and get out of a ticket. Like Tony, such tactics don't work with me. In fact, I usually look alot closer at the vehicles covered with "FOP Supporter" stickers...the dirtbags love to put those things on their cars, thinking that a LEO will ignore them or not dig around quite so hard.

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on May 23, 2009, 06:32:18 AM
Well, there's no way that anybody in any of those vehicles might be mistaken for an off duty or retired LEO. No cop has that kind of money.

Probably just people trying to curry favor and get out of a ticket. Like Tony, such tactics don't work with me. In fact, I usually look alot closer at the vehicles covered with "FOP Supporter" stickers...the dirtbags love to put those things on their cars, thinking that a LEO will ignore them or not dig around quite so hard.

I actually have some stickers because I contribute to a couple of police-related causes, but I keep them at home.  I don't make the contributions so I can weasel my way out of a ticket, if it comes to that.  I don't like that game.

I read somewhere that appearing to be an off-duty police officer is one of the best ways to avoid a ticket.  Most cops won't bother pulling over someone they think is an off-duty LEO, because they're not going to write a ticket so it's not worth the bother.  There were certain tips on how to act like an LEO that I read, but I don't really remember them specifically.

MX793

Quote from: bing_oh on May 23, 2009, 06:32:18 AM

For the Lambo and the AMG, probably not, but I could definately see an LEO being able to afford an NSX, older gen Viper or G37S depending on what force he or she is with.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on May 23, 2009, 07:17:35 AM
I actually have some stickers because I contribute to a couple of police-related causes, but I keep them at home.  I don't make the contributions so I can weasel my way out of a ticket, if it comes to that.  I don't like that game.

I read somewhere that appearing to be an off-duty police officer is one of the best ways to avoid a ticket.  Most cops won't bother pulling over someone they think is an off-duty LEO, because they're not going to write a ticket so it's not worth the bother.  There were certain tips on how to act like an LEO that I read, but I don't really remember them specifically.

Wouldn't that count as impersonating a police officer?

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on May 23, 2009, 09:00:58 AM
Wouldn't that count as impersonating a police officer?

:huh:
No, nothing just like.  Just things like driving style, the way you react when you see a cop, etc.  Insider tricks.  No actual impersonation.

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on May 23, 2009, 09:08:09 AM
:huh:
No, nothing just like.  Just things like driving style, the way you react when you see a cop, etc.  Insider tricks.  No actual impersonation.

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on May 23, 2009, 07:17:35 AM

I'm not sure how you could appear to be a LEO in how you drive...at least, not enough to prevent getting pulled over. Admittedly, LEO's tend to have certain driving habits, but I don't think that any of them would make me not stop a vehicle. There are also personal behaviors that would peg me as a LEO during the contact phase of a traffic stop, but most LEO's would come right out and ask if I was a cop if it would make a difference. We're not exactly shy about asking questions.

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on May 23, 2009, 12:45:59 PM
I'm not sure how you could appear to be a LEO in how you drive...at least, not enough to prevent getting pulled over. Admittedly, LEO's tend to have certain driving habits, but I don't think that any of them would make me not stop a vehicle. There are also personal behaviors that would peg me as a LEO during the contact phase of a traffic stop, but most LEO's would come right out and ask if I was a cop if it would make a difference. We're not exactly shy about asking questions.

That makes sense.

giant_mtb

Then you'd be screwed if the cop started asking you questions about what force you were with, where you were from, what position you held, etc.

:mask: :lol:

TurboDan

Here in New Jersey, off-duty LEOs and their family members display full-size golden badge replicas in their front windshield beside their registration sticker. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this very public, in-your-face practice of displaying a "get out of jail free card" in public has created more resentment and ill-will on the part of the public towards police than anything else. In some ways, I get that letting fellow cops and their family members off from tickets is a perk that comes with the job, but another part of me wishes we could stop this practice so everyone plays on a level field.

I don't even mind letting off a fellow officer, but (around here) husbands/wives, children, cousins, etc. all get the metal shields to carry around with a copy of their relative's business card to avoid tickets, which I think is actually pretty sleazy.

TurboDan

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 03:13:42 PM
Here in New Jersey, off-duty LEOs and their family members display full-size golden badge replicas in their front windshield beside their registration sticker. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this very public, in-your-face practice of displaying a "get out of jail free card" in public has created more resentment and ill-will on the part of the public towards police than anything else. In some ways, I get that letting fellow cops and their family members off from tickets is a perk that comes with the job, but another part of me wishes we could stop this practice so everyone plays on a level field.

I don't even mind letting off a fellow officer, but (around here) husbands/wives, children, cousins, etc. all get the metal shields to carry around with a copy of their relative's business card to avoid tickets, which I think is actually pretty sleazy.

Officers are supposed to obey the same traffic laws as everybody else.  Off-duty officers especially, but even on-duty officers are not supposed to be breaking traffic laws unless they need to do so in order to perform their duties (e.g. running a redlight to respond to an emergency more quickly, speeding to catch a speeder, etc) and when doing so, their lights and siren are supposed to be on barring special circumstances.

The disregard for traffic laws that I see by police on a regular basis simply because, by virtue of "professional courtesy", nobody will write them a ticket is a pet peeve of mine.  IMO, it's time somebody started to watch the watchmen.  And their families certainly should not be getting a free pass.
Needs more Jiggawatts

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 03:13:42 PM

I've participated in a few discussions about this on a LE board. The courtesy badges seem to be a very region-specific thing, mostly around the New York/New Jersey area. In 10 years of LE, I've never seen any such practice in the Midwest. Opinions on professional courtesy vary greatly and tend to make for some pretty heated discussions when the topic comes up on LE boards.

bing_oh

Quote from: MX793 on May 24, 2009, 04:08:33 PM
Officers are supposed to obey the same traffic laws as everybody else.  Off-duty officers especially, but even on-duty officers are not supposed to be breaking traffic laws unless they need to do so in order to perform their duties (e.g. running a redlight to respond to an emergency more quickly, speeding to catch a speeder, etc) and when doing so, their lights and siren are supposed to be on barring special circumstances.

The disregard for traffic laws that I see by police on a regular basis simply because, by virtue of "professional courtesy", nobody will write them a ticket is a pet peeve of mine.  IMO, it's time somebody started to watch the watchmen.  And their families certainly should not be getting a free pass.

It's not a matter of "professional courtesy" that an officer in a marked cruiser doesn't get citations when driving contrary to traffic laws. In most states, public safety vehicles are exempt from traffic laws. It's not realistic for me to drive the speed limit on the way to every call, nor is it realistic for me to run lights and sirens to every call. There are urgent calls that require a quicker response but aren't of such a priority to necessitate a hot run. For those, you might very well see me driving above the speed limit without my overhead lights and sirens activated. I'm not doing this for the thrill of speeding or just because I like disregarding the law, I'm doing this because my duty to the public necessitates a quick response to a call for service.

As for off duty, as I've said, that's a hot topic in LE. One arguement is that, as enforcers of the law, we should be held to a higher standard. The other is that we give plenty of professional courtesy to others (ie doctors, nurses, firefighters, soldiers, etc) and alot of warnings to the average joe, so why don't we deserve a break? Quite frankly, I can see both sides of the coin. In the end, I'm not sure why it would be a pet peeve of yours..you have no idea if the guy getting a warning is a LEO when you drive past a traffic stop, nor do you know if he's getting the warning because he "badged" the officer or because he was just another citizen who got a warning instead of a ticket.

dazzleman

I really don't believe in professional courtesy.

If the law is really about safety, and you break the law, you should be ticketed and penalized.  Illegal actions are no less unsafe because they are committed by an off-duty LEO, a doctor, nurse, soldier, etc.  There's no real reason that people without these connections should be punished for their illegal actions, while others are not.

I think that the proliferation of "professional courtesy" really does undermine respect for the law, because it suggests that the law isn't really about safety, but something else, such as collecting money for the state.

Having said all that, I realize it's not all black and white.  The law is partly about safety and partly about collecting money, and how much is one part versus the other depends upon the circumstances.

I accept professional courtesy as a perk for LEOs themselves, but I think it's wrong when it extends to their friends, family, whole other professions, etc.  It starts to become that the guy who gets busted and accepts his punishment is the real chump, since there are so many others doing the same thing or worse and getting off scot free.

I'm the sort of guy to accept my punishment without rancor when I get busted for breaking the law, but I do think other people doing the same thing should the same treatemnt, regardless of who they know.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 04:30:01 PM
It's not a matter of "professional courtesy" that an officer in a marked cruiser doesn't get citations when driving contrary to traffic laws. In most states, public safety vehicles are exempt from traffic laws. It's not realistic for me to drive the speed limit on the way to every call, nor is it realistic for me to run lights and sirens to every call. There are urgent calls that require a quicker response but aren't of such a priority to necessitate a hot run. For those, you might very well see me driving above the speed limit without my overhead lights and sirens activated. I'm not doing this for the thrill of speeding or just because I like disregarding the law, I'm doing this because my duty to the public necessitates a quick response to a call for service.

As for off duty, as I've said, that's a hot topic in LE. One arguement is that, as enforcers of the law, we should be held to a higher standard. The other is that we give plenty of professional courtesy to others (ie doctors, nurses, firefighters, soldiers, etc) and alot of warnings to the average joe, so why don't we deserve a break? Quite frankly, I can see both sides of the coin. In the end, I'm not sure why it would be a pet peeve of yours..you have no idea if the guy getting a warning is a LEO when you drive past a traffic stop, nor do you know if he's getting the warning because he "badged" the officer or because he was just another citizen who got a warning instead of a ticket.

My duty to get to work on time necessitates a quick response, but I don't get a god fucking damn exemption from all traffic laws. That's a giant load of crap.

dazzleman

Quote from: NACar on May 24, 2009, 04:44:54 PM
My duty to get to work on time necessitates a quick response, but I don't get a god fucking damn exemption from all traffic laws. That's a giant load of crap.

Your logic is off, Nick.

If an officer is truly responding to an emergency, he should be exempt from traffic laws.  Of course, I recognize that this is often abused, so I'm just talking in theory.  But you getting to work is not an emergency.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2009, 04:43:28 PM
I really don't believe in professional courtesy.

If the law is really about safety, and you break the law, you should be ticketed and penalized.  Illegal actions are no less unsafe because they are committed by an off-duty LEO, a doctor, nurse, soldier, etc.  There's no real reason that people without these connections should be punished for their illegal actions, while others are not.

I think that the proliferation of "professional courtesy" really does undermine respect for the law, because it suggests that the law isn't really about safety, but something else, such as collecting money for the state.

Having said all that, I realize it's not all black and white.  The law is partly about safety and partly about collecting money, and how much is one part versus the other depends upon the circumstances.

I accept professional courtesy as a perk for LEOs themselves, but I think it's wrong when it extends to their friends, family, whole other professions, etc.  It starts to become that the guy who gets busted and accepts his punishment is the real chump, since there are so many others doing the same thing or worse and getting off scot free.

I'm the sort of guy to accept my punishment without rancor when I get busted for breaking the law, but I do think other people doing the same thing should the same treatemnt, regardless of who they know.

Generally, at least for me, professional courtesy kicks in when we're talking about a boarderline violation...a violation that, depending on alot of other factors, might go either way for citation vs warning. There are plenty of violations where professional courtesy just doesn't apply for me (dui's a great example of that). When I pull over the average joe for those same boaderline violations, I'll take into account things like attitude and reasons given for the violation.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2009, 04:53:40 PM
Your logic is off, Nick.

If an officer is truly responding to an emergency, he should be exempt from traffic laws.  Of course, I recognize that this is often abused, so I'm just talking in theory.  But you getting to work is not an emergency.

bing-oh's "urgent calls" to pickup day-old donuts before they get thrown out is probably less important than my need to find and report insect infestation before they ruin an entire crop of blueberries.

bing_oh

Quote from: NACar on May 24, 2009, 04:58:12 PM
bing-oh's "urgent calls" to pickup day-old donuts before they get thrown out is probably less important than my need to find and report insect infestation before they ruin an entire crop of blueberries.

:rolleyes:

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

bing_oh

Quote from: Minpin on May 24, 2009, 05:01:27 PM
Nick always argues the side of stupid, don't get too OMGWTFBBQ over him...

That's why he only got a :rolleyes: and nothing more substantive.