Law Enforcement Memorial plates: LEO brownie points?

Started by Laconian, May 22, 2009, 08:33:15 PM

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 05:14:39 PM
Make sure you report that to one of the admins. You're gonna look like a douch when my IP from Ohio doesn't match Tony's IP in Michigan...

I'm not even going to bother looking it up. NACar has seriously turned into a douche as of late. Whatever.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 06:01:25 PM
I'm not even going to bother looking it up. NACar has seriously turned into a douche as of late. Whatever.

Thanks. You've always been a bit of a douche, yourself.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 05:56:45 PM
I'll accept any citation that I receive with a smile and a "thank you, officer." If I deserved the ticket, I'll pay it promptly and courteously.
Both Randy and I have said this several times before, only to be ridiculed and told we were lying or such nonsense. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 06:01:25 PM

Thanks, Dan. At least somebody believes I'm not a Tonybot. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 05:53:09 PM
Well, since we're naming names, and since I'm certain they feel the same about me, I have very little respect for hounddog and rohan (other than their taste in beer). Not only do we not agree on anything (except beer), but I have never got any sense that they respected anyone that doesn't agree with them, including and especially me. I find it difficult to respect someone who bullies and berates everyone, and makes almost no attempt to understand the opposing side of an argument.

I do respect the rest of the LEOs on the BB, because they do the opposite of the above. :lol: I respect the LEO profession, but it is sometimes difficult to respect individual LEOs and agency policies, etc.

I like hounddog and rohan.  They can be rough when people don't agree with them, but they're good guys IMO.  You surely have a right to your opinion though.

I do think that too many people (not saying you're one of them) only think of the police in terms of that last ticket they got, that they're still pissed off about, even though they probably deserved it.  And they often fail to recognize what a difficult and important job the police have, and how much they contribute to society without being fully appreciated.

I've been on both sides of things.  I've been ticketed by the police, even in my own town, but this same police department arrested the people who tried to break into my house.  When I first spoke with the detective, he was very formal, calling me Mr. [D-Man], but after a couple of calls, we were talking like buddies and he was calling me Dave.  The point is, they're just human and have a job to do.  I still appreciate the job they did in locking up those subhuman scum, and I'll never take for granted the protection they provide, even if I've been on the receiving end of enforcement a few times.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 05:26:59 PM
There are plenty of circumstances where responding to a higher priority call without lights and sirens is preferred. In some of these cases, responding hot could actually make things worse. There are circumstances where there's a tactical necessity to arrive blacked out...no lights (at all!), no sirens...so that the bad guy doesn't know LE is there. Those calls are frequently extremely urgent, however.

There are also lower priority calls that need a quick response but aren't classified as "emergencies." Those are calls where I would respond slightly over the speed limit, but still obey things like traffic lights and stop signs. Thses calls are actually quite frequent.

For low priority calls, I'm generally at the speed limit and following all traffic laws.

If you have doubts about this stuff, you can always go ride with a local PD. It's kinda tough to explain on the internet but pretty easy when you're experiencing it.

This sounds like a very good explanation to me. People freak out when they see lights and sirens and can do dumb things in a panic. If an officer can respond safely without lights and sirens, whether he is obeying the speed limit or not, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that.

dazzleman

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 05:56:45 PM
Never. Though I doubt that you'll believe it, I have a very personal belief in individual responsibility. I'll accept any citation that I receive with a smile and a "thank you, officer." If I deserved the ticket, I'll pay it promptly and courteously.

Do you say, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"  :lol:

When did you last receive a citation?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on May 24, 2009, 06:02:36 PM
Both Randy and I have said this several times before, only to be ridiculed and told we were lying or such nonsense. 

When was the last time either of your received a citation?

dazzleman

It's good to see this section of the forum springing back to life.  It's been pretty moribund lately.  I just hope this doesn't get out of hand.

TurboDan

Quote from: hounddog on May 24, 2009, 05:43:39 PM
That is horsehockey, wrapped up into a nice tight quasi-anti-police wrapping.

What is the difference between police putting a sticker on their vehicle displaying their profession vs. a fireman putting the maltese cross and other silly fireman related stickers on their cars?

Are you just as resentful of them? 
Because if you are not, then you, my friend, are not being fair.

Most police officers do not put things like that on their cars.  Those who do, do so because they are proud of their chosen profession not because it will help them "get out of jail free."  We have badges and identification cards, we do not NEED any type of stickers on our car to get out of speeding tickets in most cases.

As bingo_oh said, it's region specific. I have never known an officer in N.J. who did not display a courtesy badge on his car, as well as his wife/children's cars as well. It's strange if an officer DOESN'T do that around here. It's not "anti-police," per se, but it is a problem that many people have with the law enforcement community, in that literal "free passes" are displayed in windshields and put in wallets to get out of tickets. I don't hold resentment, I just don't think it's fair.

As for myself, I have a state Press ID placard in my car, but the difference is that it doesn't get me out of tickets (at least I don't think it does, I haven't been pulled over in years). My sticker, aside from some priority parking sometimes, is pretty much useless. The courtesy badges are not - and as I said, EVERYONE in the law enforcement community (and their families) display them here. I think it's probably just different where you live.

hounddog

Well, I think the better question would be, "When was the last time you were pulled over?"

I got pulled over about two years ago by a douchebag MSP trooper just before my first stroke.  Treated me like crap, tried to make me hand him my firearm.

He did not give me a ticket, but he stopped me for only 65/55. 

No idea as to Randy.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 05:53:09 PM
Well, since we're naming names, and since I'm certain they feel the same about me, I have very little respect for hounddog and rohan (other than their taste in beer). Not only do we not agree on anything (except beer), but I have never got any sense that they respected anyone that doesn't agree with them, including and especially me. I find it difficult to respect someone who bullies and berates everyone, and makes almost no attempt to understand the opposing side of an argument.

I do respect the rest of the LEOs on the BB, because they do the opposite of the above. :lol: I respect the LEO profession, but it is sometimes difficult to respect individual LEOs and agency policies, etc.

Randy and Tony can sometimes be slightly more abrasive than me, but that doesn't mean that they don't respect other people's opinions. I have a slightly more cerebral demeanor, especially when I'm typing as opposed to talking (in person, I can be just as mean and nasty and any other cop, thanks :lol:). They also come from a rough city, where I've spent most of my career in smaller communities...a rough attitude is necessary much more often in places like Detroit. Different experiences make for a different outlook, though the vast majority of LEO's have very smiliar viewpoints and mindsets.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2009, 06:03:26 PM
I like hounddog and rohan.  They can be rough when people don't agree with them, but they're good guys IMO.  You surely have a right to your opinion though.

I do think that too many people (not saying you're one of them) only think of the police in terms of that last ticket they got, that they're still pissed off about, even though they probably deserved it.  And they often fail to recognize what a difficult and important job the police have, and how much they contribute to society without being fully appreciated.

I've been on both sides of things.  I've been ticketed by the police, even in my own town, but this same police department arrested the people who tried to break into my house.  When I first spoke with the detective, he was very formal, calling me Mr. [D-Man], but after a couple of calls, we were talking like buddies and he was calling me Dave.  The point is, they're just human and have a job to do.  I still appreciate the job they did in locking up those subhuman scum, and I'll never take for granted the protection they provide, even if I've been on the receiving end of enforcement a few times.

Well, since I don't get tickets from the real police (just BS parking tickets...  :rage:), I can't be one of them. :lol:

I think there is often a disconnect between the police and the rest of the society/culture/etc. People don't trust the police in a lot of places, often for good reason. If you put a cop on the corner, no one will talk to them unless they've been mugged.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 06:03:42 PM
This sounds like a very good explanation to me. People freak out when they see lights and sirens and can do dumb things in a panic. If an officer can respond safely without lights and sirens, whether he is obeying the speed limit or not, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that.

I agree.  Casual public observers don't always have all the facts to question the judgment of police officers in how they handle certain emergencies.

Yes, I've seen police totally flout the traffic laws for no good reason.  When I did a ride-along with my local police department, the officer I rode with drove that way.  He was pissed off because his car got stuck in the mud and had to be pulled out with a winch, so he FLEW on the way back to the police station.  It's an occupational hazard, I guess.  Still, he was a cool guy and a very good cop.  You have to look at the whole picture.  Things are not always so black and white as some people like to think.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on May 24, 2009, 06:00:25 PM
I respond in kind to what is said to me.  Randy does the same.

The bigger problem is that you and others here do not listen to what is said, almost ever.  You ask questions, we give you the answers, and you tell us we are wrong or that we are just spouting institutional blah blah blah. 

It gets old very fast.  When I came here I tried very hard to be articulate and answer questions to the best of my ability.  But why should I do that when the above is the response. 

I just got very tired of it and no longer really try very hard. 

If you want me, and I suspect Randy as well, to treat you better you might wish to remember that road runs both ways.

And for the record, I hate NO ONE.  It is absolutely against my beliefs.

Uh-huh. So, I disagree, you berate, I berate. You pretty much just said that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hounddog

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 06:08:27 PM
As bingo_oh said, it's region specific. I have never known an officer in N.J. who did not display a courtesy badge on his car, as well as his wife/children's cars as well. It's strange if an officer DOESN'T do that around here. It's not "anti-police," per se, but it is a problem that many people have with the law enforcement community, in that literal "free passes" are displayed in windshields and put in wallets to get out of tickets. I don't hold resentment, I just don't think it's fair.

As for myself, I have a state Press ID placard in my car, but the difference is that it doesn't get me out of tickets (at least I don't think it does, I haven't been pulled over in years). My sticker, aside from some priority parking sometimes, is pretty much useless. The courtesy badges are not - and as I said, EVERYONE in the law enforcement community (and their families) display them here. I think it's probably just different where you live.
So, the firemen do not put stickers on their vehicles there? 

My wife goes to Morristown in a couple weeks, I will have her keep an eye out for those for me to see how prevelant they are.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on May 24, 2009, 06:08:27 PM

A Press ID would probably ensure that you got a ticket if it were at all possible to give you one.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hounddog on May 24, 2009, 06:09:40 PM
Well, I think the better question would be, "When was the last time you were pulled over?"

I got pulled over about two years ago by a douchebag MSP trooper just before my first stroke.  Treated me like crap, tried to make me hand him my firearm.

He did not give me a ticket, but he stopped me for only 65/55. 

No idea as to Randy.

Well, I used my free pass just three days ago when I got pulled over. Even though I had an expired inspection sticker and had forgotten my wallet, I just winked at him and showed him my nipples. Got off with a verbal warning.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
Do you say, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"  :lol:

When did you last receive a citation?

Ony if the nice officer beats me first... :lol:

It's been a loooooooooong time. Now that I think about it, I havn't gotten a ticket since I've been a cop. I've been pulled over a few times, but always got warnings (and, no, I never badged my way into a warning). It's actually pretty rare that I get pulled over...one of the advantages of being a LEO is you know what thresholds to stay under if you want to break the law a little but not be a big enough fish to get stopped.  ;)

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on May 24, 2009, 06:10:03 PM
Randy and Tony can sometimes be slightly more abrasive than me, but that doesn't mean that they don't respect other people's opinions. I have a slightly more cerebral demeanor, especially when I'm typing as opposed to talking (in person, I can be just as mean and nasty and any other cop, thanks :lol:). They also come from a rough city, where I've spent most of my career in smaller communities...a rough attitude is necessary much more often in places like Detroit. Different experiences make for a different outlook, though the vast majority of LEO's have very smiliar viewpoints and mindsets.

A dickhead's a dickhead...

I don't want to get too much more into this. It's going to get nasty.

hounddog

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:10:16 PM
I think there is often a disconnect between the police and the rest of the society/culture/etc. People don't trust the police in a lot of places, often for good reason.
For good reason?  Uhhg.  :rolleyes:

The first part is true, but the second part........:rolleyes:

QuoteIf you put a cop on the corner, no one will talk to them unless they've been mugged.
That is not true, I almost never tell people what I did for a living when at parties or other social events.  I usually make something up because otherwise, everybody and their brother want to talk to me.  It gets really old, sort of like for doctors as well.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:15:19 PM

And you would certainly know.  :rolleyes:

And yet the point of his post goes unnoticed.  Typical.

And, so that this is absolutely clear;  I have no trouble communicating with anyone here on a civil level.  But, again, that road has to run both ways. 

Posts like this do nothing to tell me you are serious about civility.  How can someone with such good taste in beer be so naughty?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:10:16 PM
Well, since I don't get tickets from the real police (just BS parking tickets...  :rage:), I can't be one of them. :lol:

I think there is often a disconnect between the police and the rest of the society/culture/etc. People don't trust the police in a lot of places, often for good reason. If you put a cop on the corner, no one will talk to them unless they've been mugged.

Parking tickets totally piss me off.  Much more than speeding tickets.

I have a strong sense of justice, even when it applies to me.  So I find it very easy to accept a ticket that I know I deserved.  I also look at it a bit like a business transaction -- I got in the fun of going fast and breaking the law, and paying for it with a ticket is not so different to me than paying for a fun amusement park ride, or paying for a nice dinner.

With a parking ticket, I don't get either of those.  I don't violate parking rules deliberately for the most part, so the ticket comes from, at most, having made a mistake.  So there's no real concept of justice at work.  And since I derived no enjoyment from the accidental illegal parking (usually due to a meter running out), I don't have the 'benefit' of what I'm paying for either.

As to the disconnect between the police and the general public, you're right and I think it's unfortunate.  It's naturally a profession where sometimes they 'circle the wagons' and I can see why that happens.  It's not so much like that where I live, but it's a low crime, affluent, almost exclusively white town, so that makes a big difference.  The people here love the police and see them as their friends, generally, once they're past the age of about 20.   

LEOs have to be tougher than the average person to do their job, and sometimes that comes across in other aspects of their lives, including the way they interact with the public.

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:15:19 PM

You used to get pissed at me sometimes, and now we're friends.  CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG?

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2009, 06:21:03 PM
You used to get pissed at me sometimes, and now we're friends.  CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG?

Shut up, hippie.

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on May 24, 2009, 06:16:27 PM
And you would certainly know.  :rolleyes:

And yet the point of his post goes unnoticed.  Typical.

I got the point of his post. You guys come from Detriot, and he's a dickhead in person.

;)

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:25:09 PM
Shut up, hippie.

YOU are calling ME a hippie, man?  :lol:  I picture a haze of smoke from your reefer surrounding you right now.....

Rupert

Whatever, I'm not the one getting all Jerry Garcia in here...

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:31:33 PM
Whatever, I'm not the one getting all Jerry Garcia in here...

Hah, I was actually quoting Rodney King during the LA riots.

I am serious though about getting along.  I hate fighting.  Joking around and ball-busting is great, but I hate real hostility between people.

A while back, I thought you disliked me (never reciprocated), but we're friends now.

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on May 24, 2009, 06:25:59 PM
I got the point of his post. You guys come from Detriot, and he's a dickhead in person.

;)

Ahahah! :nono: CAN be a dickhead in person, thank you.