The Finder of Paths

Started by Eye of the Tiger, May 29, 2009, 02:38:13 PM

Eye of the Tiger

It found me.

91 Pathfinder SE, 131k, and leather! Listed at $1150, I got it for $800 after pointing out a slight (slightly large) rust hole in the frame (I think I got a guy that can fix that). And rust happens to be the only real problem on this vehicle.
The 3.0L SOHC 12-valve V-6 engine mated to a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission and 2-speed transfer case makes for straight line speed that rivals any Swift, Metro, Festiva, or John Deere tractor (stock). Seriously, this thing ain't quick, but at least it sounds good. Most importantly, it's 100% inspected and legal, so I got something to drive until the Swift can make itself legal, too.

Don't mind the little dent in the hood, or the fact that the torsion bars might be a bit worn.

The gas gauge may not work, but that is irrelevant, because there are two trip odometers!

And finally, the E-AT Power/Auto switch.  :huh:  I will pretend that it's for the Electronuclear-Acceleration Transfer, to route additional auxiliary power to the warp engines when needed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on May 29, 2009, 02:40:39 PM
Beautiful.

Thanks man. I just got those shoes a couple weeks ago. Real comfy.

the Teuton

Congrats.  Once again, Nick's spending saves the economy one jalopy at a time.

I really like those things, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on May 29, 2009, 02:43:28 PM
Congrats.  Once again, Nick's spending saves the economy one jalopy at a time.

I really like those things, though.

I hate dumpy SUV's, but I can deal with this.

And before anyone goes on a tirade about wasting money or any of that crap, I bought this for less than I sold the Volvo for. I'm still in the green.

Tave

Why'd you make the switch?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on May 29, 2009, 02:47:39 PM
Why'd you make the switch?

1. I can tow more shit with this when I move
2. I can make some money back doing my bleuberry job with this
3. Nobody likes a guy in a Volvo, but SUV's are totaly hip

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 29, 2009, 02:51:32 PM
You inspire me.

If I told you how much we got some of the cars for in the fam, you'd shit a brick.  Never pay retail.

I'm glad Nick is good with that principle, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on May 29, 2009, 03:00:24 PM
If I told you how much we got some of the cars for in the fam, you'd shit a brick.  Never pay retail.

I'm glad Nick is good with that principle, too.

I'll give you $20 for your Impreza.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 29, 2009, 03:04:09 PM

Your parents will still have to co-sign the purchase.  :evildude:

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 29, 2009, 03:04:09 PM

$20 and a case of beer.

Oh, that's right...

:evildude:

2o6

Quote from: NACar on May 29, 2009, 03:05:49 PM
Your parents will still have to co-sign the purchase.  :evildude:

No..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Quote from: the Teuton on May 29, 2009, 03:07:25 PM
$20 and a case of beer.

Oh, that's right...

:evildude:

Bear is for gays!

the Teuton

2o6 = :facepalm:

My bro almost bought a Pathfinder like that before he found his Taurus.

The Pirate

That's so awesome.  I'm looking up Pathfinders in the Albany area right now.  Found a '97 5-speed with 85K miles, it's tempting.  :mask:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

I dig the Pathfinder.  I hope this one serves you well Nick!

Eye of the Tiger

Uh oh, driver's front turn signal is toast, and it's not the bulb. Time to get the volt meter out :facepalm:
Good thing a Pathfinder forum has the entire factory service manual in PDF form!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on May 29, 2009, 03:31:49 PM
That's so awesome.  I'm looking up Pathfinders in the Albany area right now.  Found a '97 5-speed with 85K miles, it's tempting.  :mask:

5-speed? Lucky find!

Catman

In New England that's one of the most popular vehicles with drug dealers.  Cops are going to be on you like white on rice. :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on May 29, 2009, 05:48:34 PM
In New England that's one of the most popular vehicles with drug dealers.  Cops are going to be on you like white on rice. :mask:

Crap. Now I'm more worried about pseudo gang-bangers tearing apart the interior looking for my stash. The door locks don't exactly work so well.

dazzleman

Good luck with it Nick.  Are you getting rid of any of your cars now that you're getting this one?

I considered getting a '97 Pathfinder before I got my Maxima.  I really like them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sandertheshark

That's an excellent vehicle for driving over nigh-impassible terrain such as the average back road in Maine.  And yet, since it's undoubtedly 90% held together with a thin layer of paint, it is also an insane choice of purchase.  Well done, Nick.

Catman

Quote from: NACar on May 29, 2009, 05:51:02 PM
Crap. Now I'm more worried about pseudo gang-bangers tearing apart the interior looking for my stash. The door locks don't exactly work so well.

Any electronic hides left from the past owner?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on May 29, 2009, 05:53:29 PM
Good luck with it Nick.  Are you getting rid of any of your cars now that you're getting this one?

I considered getting a '97 Pathfinder before I got my Maxima.  I really like them.

Might as well sell the motorcycle. Working 7 days a week leaves no time for fun.

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 29, 2009, 05:58:11 PM
That's an excellent vehicle for driving over nigh-impassible terrain such as the average back road in Maine.  And yet, since it's undoubtedly 90% held together with a thin layer of paint, it is also an insane choice of purchase.  Well done, Nick.

The paint is actually quite shiny and thick-looking, so I am not too concerned about the body falling apart at the moment.

Quote from: Catman on May 29, 2009, 06:05:54 PM
Any electronic hides left from the past owner?

Dunno, but there is the faint odor of wet dog.

Catman

Quote from: NACar on May 29, 2009, 07:01:52 PM
Dunno, but there is the faint odor of wet dog.

Probably from all the police K9's that have been in there sniffing around?

Laconian

Those Pathfinders are draped made with sheet metal that is paper thin and so easy to damage. Those dents on the front are probably from a stiff breeze.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2009, 07:12:20 PM
Those Pathfinders are draped made with sheet metal that is paper thin and so easy to damage. Those dents on the front are probably from a stiff breeze.

There are more dents.

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on May 29, 2009, 04:42:59 PM
5-speed? Lucky find!

My dad had a '98 5-speed SE.  Sunroof, fender flares, rear mount spare tire, etc.  It was awesome, I was sort of pissed when he sold it (if he had waited another year or two, I could have bought it).

Good find, hope it works out for ya.  A buddy of mine had one like yours that had almost 200K miles on it.  Drivetrain was still great on his, but the frame rusted out and it wouldn't pass inspection (which seems to be sort of common with Nissan trucks of that era).  Might want to hit it with some Herculiner.

And have fun with it!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on May 29, 2009, 07:23:07 PM
My dad had a '98 5-speed SE.  Sunroof, fender flares, rear mount spare tire, etc.  It was awesome, I was sort of pissed when he sold it (if he had waited another year or two, I could have bought it).

Good find, hope it works out for ya.  A buddy of mine had one like yours that had almost 200K miles on it.  Drivetrain was still great on his, but the frame rusted out and it wouldn't pass inspection (which seems to be sort of common with Nissan trucks of that era).  Might want to hit it with some Herculiner.

And have fun with it!

I have a guy that can hit the frame with a welder. I also have some rust paint that I was going to use on the Swift, however, finding a place to apply the paint is pretty much impossible.

the Teuton

The tire rack rusted off, exposing some gaping holes on the 1998 my brother was looking at. 

Herculiner the whole lower rocker panels. :rockon: