Buying a Sports Car

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, August 12, 2005, 07:40:14 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

So i just got back from the local nissan dealer, i was going to check out some z's.

Well i got there at about 7 and they closed at 6(there was one salesman, he was helping a customer who was picking up a truck). Anyway i glanced around and noticed that they didn't have any z's(coupes, they had 3 verts), he informed me that they would be open tomorrow at 9. As i got back into may car my attention was drawn again(at first when i drove in) to the black vette sitting on the lot(used 04), thinking nothing of it a started to leave. Looking again at the vette i see the ZO6 emblem on the fender, by this time the salesman was done helping the customer and walking toword his maxima by the road. I moved over to where he was parked and stopped, asking him about the vette(no window sticker, but the way it was parked you could tell it was a lot car. I asked the price(expecting a mid 40K price) and was shocked when he said 36K, i asked if it was a 04 and he said yes. We stared at eachother for a moment and i asked him again how much it cost(maybe i'm just daft, but i didn't think used Z06's were that cheap), he again told me 36K. I made a remark about how it was a good price, he nodded with a smile(probobly drove her around the block a couple times). I told him i stopped to look at a z car, but i was surprised at the value of thta Z06 compared to a new z car(about 30-32K). He again told me that they would be open tomorrow at 9, and i thanked him again and told him i'd probobly be back.

I'm stretching for a 30K at this moment, but stuff like this just begs me to dig deep and go all out(i'm sure the insurance difference on the two is large), but there are so many good new and slightly used sports cars that i'm starting to doubt myself everyday. Another problem is that i continually drift back to the thought of buyin a used M Coupe, i absolutely adore those cars.

I think i'll have to push my decision date even farther back, and explore(read: testdrive :D ) as many possibilities as i can.

Then again i could just borrow 30K from the bank, and buy a couple of sports cars(MR2 turbo and a 944 turbo, etc).

Tom

Do it to it.  Wouldn't you rather have one ultimate sports car than 4 "pretty good" ones?

FlatBlackCaddy

I certainly enjoy having multiple cars to drive around.

I would also really look foward to having a brand new vehicle with a warranty.  

Raghavan

the vette doesn't have a transferable warranty? Do it. chances like that don't happend often.

SJ_GTI

A real man would get the Z06.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteA real man would get the Z06.
Looks at your sig.....thanks ma'am, move along.

FlatBlackCaddy

I would assume that the vette has a transerable warranty(or GM cars for that matter).

Raghavan

QuoteI would assume that the vette has a transerable warranty(or GM cars for that matter).
so you still get most of the warranty left over.

Raghavan

i don't think GM would finance a vette for him in canada...

FlatBlackCaddy

I"d have to check on the warranty

SJ_GTI

QuoteI would assume that the vette has a transerable warranty(or GM cars for that matter).
I'm sure the salesman would let you know...but I think all factory warranties are transferable..?

PS. You shouldn't be so jealous of my German bred racing car. A Z06 is almost as nice.

SJ_GTI

i don't think GM would finance a vette for him in canada...
On a serious note, no GM refused to finance me in Canada since I don't have a permanent residence. Otherwise my username would probably have been Mtl_9-3.

Raghavan

PS. You shouldn't be so jealous of my German bred racing car. A Z06 is almost as nice.
:rolleyes:  :lol:  

FlatBlackCaddy

"German bred racing car"

I would find that funny, if i didn't know that you actually mean that.

SJ_GTI

:rolleyes:  :lol:
I miss the "devil" smilie that C&D has.  ;)  

Raghavan

If you buy the car, you can change your name to FlatBlackChevy.

FlatBlackCaddy

There is this sweet 2 door hatch 9-3 around town(ground effects and the better saab rims), its nice and its blue.

Raghavan

QuoteThere is this sweet 2 door hatch 9-3 around town(ground effects and the better saab rims), its nice and its blue.
get the vette.

SJ_GTI

Quote"German bred racing car"

I would find that funny, if i didn't know that you actually mean that.
My car has super-car like 5 valves per cylinder.

My car has more valves than a Z06.  :praise:  

FlatBlackCaddy

Well i found it on there website(i figured the price was wrong)

2004 Z06

Raghavan

QuoteWell i found it on there website(i figured the price was wrong)

2004 Z06
big deal, 3 more k. get it. :praise:  you'll be happier than with probably anything else.

FlatBlackCaddy

thats about 9K overall more than i was going to spend(which i barely have anyway).

FlatBlackCaddy

I guess it depends on what i can get for a interest rate, maybe the payments wouldn't be that far off(i was looking at 400 a month).

SJ_GTI

Quotethats about 9K overall more than i was going to spend(which i barely have anyway).
Maybe the salesman was giving you a hint that they would sell it for 36k?

I'd still check it out if I were you. Couldn't hurt to at least tes drive it.  :ph34r:  

Tom

Someone probably beat the piss out of it for 25k miles.  You can get a new GTO with equal power for a better price.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quotethats about 9K overall more than i was going to spend(which i barely have anyway).
Maybe the salesman was giving you a hint that they would sell it for 36k?

I'd still check it out if I were you. Couldn't hurt to at least tes drive it.  :ph34r:
I'm sure i shouldn't discount it until i give her a spin :D .

The price does say reduced but you know how car dealers can be.

Raghavan

QuoteSomeone probably beat the piss out of it for 25k miles.  You can get a new GTO with equal power for a better price.
noo... a GTO has 5 less hp, and it weighs about 500 lbs more. Besides, people think it looks like a Cavalier.

SJ_GTI

QuoteSomeone probably beat the piss out of it for 25k miles.  You can get a new GTO with equal power for a better price.
And with that many miles you only have a little bit of warranty left. I didn't realize it was such high-mileage. I figured a Z06 would have been a weekend toy...

I agree with the GTO if it was me, but its not a sports car.  <_<  

Tom

QuoteSomeone probably beat the piss out of it for 25k miles.  You can get a new GTO with equal power for a better price.
noo... a GTO has 5 less hp, and it weighs about 500 lbs more. Besides, people think it looks like a Cavalier.
Thanks for clarifying :rolleyes:  

FlatBlackCaddy

I've kicked the GTO idea around.

However its alittle bigger(weight wise) and i don't care for 4 seats.

I really shouldn't discount it without driving it but i've never really liked heavier cars.(The ZO6 is around 3000-3100 i believe, the Z is 3,192, and i think GTO's are pushing 3800).