7 (20.6%)
Other (please name)
4 (11.8%)
Soulja Boy
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 09:48:11 PM
I like Eminem's earlier work (not his current rubbish) and a little 2pac.  That's it.

Even if I did like other artist's work, it doesn't excuse them from adhering to fundamental aspects of the English language, like, say, pronouncing the word correctly. 

There are songs which mispronounce a word so it flows with the music.  It seems with rap, that it is done solely to project an image of "hipness" or however it is interpreted nowadays.
Bro, no offense but get over yourself.

Rap is an artform born out of the inner city, performed and created by many people with little to nearly no education.

I have been listening to rap since "Can't Touch This" came out, and from what I know I can still form & pronounce a decent sentence in English.

Plus in any case at the end of the day, beyond the taste of the masses not aligning with yours it doesn't directly affect you anyway. Again, it doesn't matter who you or anybody is- no one person can declare their TASTE or OPINIONS as some kind of gospel. I agree that sometimes the mispronunciations are silly, but that comes with the territory. That is how they really talk. It's not the end of the world.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19167.msg1106206#msg1106206 date=1247025836
Nice.  Seen him twice at the Trocadero in Philly. 

I though Lemons was kind of weak though.  You?

Yeah kinda weak. On par with You Can't Imagine, although I think I like the good material from Lemons a little more, at least I remember listening to the album in my car quite often, and You Can't Imagine never got that attention.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 08, 2009, 06:51:35 AM
Yeah kinda weak. On par with You Can't Imagine, although I think I like the good material from Lemons a little more, at least I remember listening to the album in my car quite often, and You Can't Imagine never got that attention.

Seven's Travels was the peak, I think.  Hopefully the next effort will be better. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19167.msg1106403#msg1106403 date=1247067924
Seven's Travels was the peak, I think.  Hopefully the next effort will be better.  

A lot of hard-core fans don't respect anything after God Loves Ugly, claiming that Slug sold out to Epitaph to release Seven's Travels. Personally I like the music, but it does have a different feel from God Loves Ugly and Lucy Ford.

One thing I like about Lemons is that it's a little less Emo than the rest of their shit. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

hotrodalex

I prefer early hip-hop, which actually had meaning and wasn't just made to make a buck.

Listen to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five. It's kind of odd, but better than "Kiss Me Through the Phone". BY FAR.

MrH

I voted other, for Green Day.

They're absolutely terrible.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2009, 11:04:58 AM
I prefer early hip-hop, which actually had meaning and wasn't just made to make a buck.

Listen to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five. It's kind of odd, but better than "Kiss Me Through the Phone". BY FAR.

"Socially conscious" rap and "party" rap have been staples of the hip-hop scene ever since its inception. There were rappers out to make a buck in the 80s and there are rappers who "actually have meaning" today.

But yes, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five kicks ass.

Atmosphere, as long as we're talking about it anyway, would be a great introduction to today's underground scene. He's very accessible, and he collaborates with so many artists, that you can pick and choose between the more avante garde groups you find yourself enjoying. Way better than me telling you, "check out Eyedea or Aesop" when I know they're more of an acquired taste.

Raza

See, I'd recommend Aes because he's got more of a range than Slug, I think.  Most of Atmosphere's stuff stay in a narrower focus. 

But Atmosphere is a good introduction.

Is Eyedea any good?  I remember watching him in rap battles, but that was like ten years ago.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

He's really good. You'd dig him for sure.

Yeah, Aes has a lot more range than Slug, but he's on a whole 'nother planet than the rest of us. I think someone who hasn't listened to much hip-hop would ask himself, "what the hell is this?"

Bazooka Tooth is the most mainstream of any of his albums.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 08, 2009, 11:49:08 AM
He's really good. You'd dig him for sure.

Yeah, Aes has a lot more range than Slug, but he's on a whole 'nother planet than the rest of us. I think someone who hasn't listened to much hip-hop would ask himself, "what the hell is this?"

Bazooka Tooth is the most mainstream of any of his albums.

If you love television and manic depression get a carton of cigarettes and we can make it happen.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 08, 2009, 11:59:53 AM
But they're all good.

Yes. 

Where are you guys on Jedi Mind Tricks?  Since Visions of Gandhi, I haven't been too impressed with what I used to think was the underground rap group out there.  I think they recently put out a new album, and as I recall, even though Jus Allah came back, it was terrible.  Since None Shall Pass, I rediscovered Aesop Rock's brilliance, and I'm almost certain he's the best rapper I've ever heard.

Also give Rob Sonic a shot.  He's great. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19167.msg1106534#msg1106534 date=1247077199
If you love television and manic depression get a carton of cigarettes and we can make it happen.

Watch out ladies cause ya know he don't love ya, Bazooka Tooth is one bad motherfucker.

Tave

I still haven't got around to listening to JMT, though I hear a lot of positive reviews.

If you're looking for a technical tour de force, check out Heiruspec's album Small Steps. Heiruspecs is a band on Slug's label (and the band often backs Slug at Atmosphere shows) with 2 MCs who rap seperate verses and rounds over the top of each other.

It will give you a bona-fied mind fuck.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 08, 2009, 12:28:39 PM
I still haven't got around to listening to JMT, though I hear a lot of positive reviews.

If you're looking for a technical tour de force, check out Heiruspec's album Small Steps. Heiruspecs is a band on Slug's label (and the band often backs Slug at Atmosphere shows) with 2 MCs who rap seperate verses and rounds over the top of each other.

It will give you a bona-fied mind fuck.

His brother's in that band, right?  I saw them at my first show, then.  They did this extended metal version of Shrapnel that just blew my mind.  I will check them out. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I prefer Small Steps to A Tiger Dancing. Haven't got around to their newer stuff yet.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Tave on July 08, 2009, 11:12:56 AM
"Socially conscious" rap and "party" rap have been staples of the hip-hop scene ever since its inception. There were rappers out to make a buck in the 80s and there are rappers who "actually have meaning" today.

But yes, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five kicks ass.

Atmosphere, as long as we're talking about it anyway, would be a great introduction to today's underground scene. He's very accessible, and he collaborates with so many artists, that you can pick and choose between the more avante garde groups you find yourself enjoying. Way better than me telling you, "check out Eyedea or Aesop" when I know they're more of an acquired taste.

I've found a few artists out today that have some good stuff. Too bad rap & hip-hop is nothing but "party" rap in most places nowadays.

rohan

Your list left off Vanilla Ice  Backstreet Boy and how could yoy ever forget N'sync? 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on July 08, 2009, 07:13:08 PM
Your list left off Vanilla Ice  Backstreet Boy and how could yoy ever forget N'sync? 

None of them make music anymore.   :huh:

Oh.  Vanilla Ice tries.  He does try. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: rohan on July 08, 2009, 07:13:08 PM

They are the poster children for childish pop trash.  I didn't think they needed mention, though I'd be happy to throw them up on the poll.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on July 08, 2009, 08:59:44 PM

You guys can't see the talent?

Hey, shes hot as hell.  Just don't expect me to take in her good looks via a CD cover.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on July 08, 2009, 09:03:43 PM
Hey, shes hot as hell.  Just don't expect me to take in her good looks via a CD cover.

But, she kissed a girl.  And she liked it.   :wub:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19167.msg1107215#msg1107215 date=1247108672
But, she kissed a girl.  And she liked it.   :wub:

That video is such a cock tease

rohan

Quote from: Raza  on July 08, 2009, 07:15:38 PM
None of them make music anymore.   :huh:

Oh.  Vanilla Ice tries.  He does try. 
Does Air Supply or Bon Jovi?  I'm askin because I thought they didn't.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Submariner on July 08, 2009, 08:49:19 PM
They are the poster children for childish pop trash.  I didn't think they needed mention, though I'd be happy to throw them up on the poll.
No don't I was just asking.

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on July 08, 2009, 09:55:53 PM
Does Air Supply or Bon Jovi?  I'm askin because I thought they didn't.

I know Bon Jovi does.  I don't know about Air Supply. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i