Nickelback
7 (20.6%)
Other (please name)
4 (11.8%)
Soulja Boy
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

sportyaccordy

Lady Gaga, because she abuses her limited sex appeal to present an image of edginess & artistic vision, both of which fly in the face of her generic upbringing & incredibly awful generic 2.Slow Jetta on a college campus sountrack music. She embodies a large part of what has gone wrong with music today.

Music doesn't have to be totally awful to be danceable. Case in point... pretty much the bulk of dance music to come out before the late 80s, when every melody was written on paper, played on instruments and recorded on microphones. Thriller, Purple Rain, the list goes on.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 06, 2009, 02:04:16 PM
Lady Gaga, because she abuses her limited sex appeal to present an image of edginess & artistic vision, both of which fly in the face of her generic upbringing & incredibly awful generic 2.Slow Jetta on a college campus sountrack music. She embodies a large part of what has gone wrong with music today.

I agree.

sandertheshark

I am grieved to see that Bon Jovi was even nominated, yet pleased that they have received no votes.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on July 06, 2009, 11:09:44 PM
I am grieved to see that Bon Jovi was even nominated, yet pleased that they have received no votes.

I never liked them, but didn't dislike them enough to vote for them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Who the fuck made you guys the arbiters of taste anyway? Soulja Boy's mixtape is one of my favorite to come out this year- to no credit of his own of course; it was due to the appearances of a highly freshened up and technically polished Gucci Mane.

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 07, 2009, 07:56:12 PM
Who the fuck made you guys the arbiters of taste anyway? Soulja Boy's mixtape is one of my favorite to come out this year- to no credit of his own of course; it was due to the appearances of a highly freshened up and technically polished Gucci Mane.

IMO, it's not so much about the music that embodies mainstream rap (which blows, hard) it's the unbelievable arrogance and egotistical attitude most rappers choose to embrace.

And as for taste, there is nothing tasteful about, say, Crank Dat.  It's a mindless, talentless, corporate-mixed pile of rancid fecal matter.  He didn't even have the courtesy to name it Crank That, instead, going for the "hip" (read, retarded) route of butchering the English language, and providing reasons for scores of teens across the nation to talk in tongues that become increasingly hard to understand.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 05, 2009, 04:05:28 PM

I've heard the Gossip on YouTube - totally not my music. It doesn't win me over and Beth Ditto disgusts me. Seriously.  :facepalm:

So? Beethoven is totally not my music, and I don't have a gay crush on his decomposed corpse, but I still appreciate that he was a genius. I mean, his corpse would totally disgust me. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 08:15:18 PM
IMO, it's not so much about the music that embodies mainstream rap (which blows, hard) it's the unbelievable arrogance and egotistical attitude most rappers choose to embrace.

And as for taste, there is nothing tasteful about, say, Crank Dat.  It's a mindless, talentless, corporate-mixed pile of rancid fecal matter.  He didn't even have the courtesy to name it Crank That, instead, going for the "hip" (read, retarded) route of butchering the English language, and providing reasons for scores of teens across the nation to talk in tongues that become increasingly hard to understand.

Yes, Grampa.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Submariner

Quote from: Psilos on July 07, 2009, 08:28:05 PM
Yes, Grampa.

I'm sorry, I've just grown tired of people unwilling to use English, instead typing in MiXeD CApS and talking in ways which are often hard to understand. 

Submariner

Quote from: Psilos on July 07, 2009, 08:26:58 PM
So? Beethoven is totally not my music, and I don't have a gay crush on his decomposed corpse, but I still appreciate that he was a genius. I mean, his corpse would totally disgust me. ;)

Sure, the picture of her posted of her before is repulsive, but you are correct in that we have to look past the singer and to the music (which actually isn't that bad)

Tave

Even really creative, "intellectual," indie hip-hop artists use a lot of slang.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

jadewolf123

Fat chicks can belt it out, something about the gut=colossal voice

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Submariner

Quote from: Tave on July 07, 2009, 09:07:31 PM
Even really creative, "intellectual," indie hip-hop artists use a lot of slang.

There's a difference between slang, and purposely fucking up the spelling of words.

And I'm not so sure Immortal Technique would ever pen a song titled "crank dat"

Submariner

Quote from: jadewolf123 on July 07, 2009, 09:07:45 PM
Fat chicks can belt it out, something about the gut=colossal voice

And what a voice, too.

the Teuton

Care to delete the vote tallies?  Soulja Boy is worse than the Jonas Brothers.  They're both fighting for the top spot, but come on, "Kiss Me Through the Phone"?  It's terrible, and it's everywhere.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 07, 2009, 09:10:13 PM
Care to delete the vote tallies?  Soulja Boy is worse than the Jonas Brothers.  They're both fighting for the top spot, but come on, "Kiss Me Through the Phone"?  It's terrible, and it's everywhere.

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on July 07, 2009, 09:28:10 PM

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.

He want's to ride cock?

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 09:28:54 PM
He want's to ride cock?

It's a line from Lady Gaga in one of the most irreverent songs ever played on radio.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 09:09:27 PM
There's a difference between slang, and purposely fucking up the spelling of words.

And I'm not so sure Immortal Technique would ever pen a song titled "crank dat"

Atmosphere-"Denvemolorado"
Brother Ali-"Nine Double Em" "We Will Always B" "Tofuti" "Ali Boombaye"
Aesop Rock-"The Yes and the Y'all" "9-5er's Anthem"
EL-P-"Dead Disnee" "The Nang, the Front, the Bush and the Shit"
Blueprint-"Lo-Fi Funk"
Rakim-"I Ain't No Joke" "When I B on Tha Mic"

Need I continue?

Besides, don't you like 2Pac, Dre, Eminime, Jay-Z, Biggie, Wu-Tang? All those guys use slang in song titles.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on July 07, 2009, 09:30:06 PM
It's a line from Lady Gaga in one of the most irreverent songs ever played on radio.

Ahhhh.

Submariner

Quote from: Tave on July 07, 2009, 09:32:11 PM
Blueprint-"Lo-Fi Funk"

Need I continue?

Besides, don't you like 2Pac, Dre, Eminime, Jay-Z, Biggie, Wu-Tang? All those guys use slang in song titles.

I like Eminem's earlier work (not his current rubbish) and a little 2pac.  That's it.

Even if I did like other artist's work, it doesn't excuse them from adhering to fundamental aspects of the English language, like, say, pronouncing the word correctly. 

There are songs which mispronounce a word so it flows with the music.  It seems with rap, that it is done solely to project an image of "hipness" or however it is interpreted nowadays.

Raza

Whoa, whoa.  Zach mentioned Immortal Technique? 

I'm impressed!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 07, 2009, 09:32:11 PM
Blueprint-"Lo-Fi Funk"

Need I continue?

You listen to Atmosphere?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19167.msg1106191#msg1106191 date=1247025387
You listen to Atmosphere?

Do I listen to Atmosphere?

I just opened my wallet and pulled out a ticket to their Feb. 26, 2003 concert. At First Ave in Minneapolis. :mrcool:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 07, 2009, 10:00:04 PM
Do I listen to Atmosphere?

I just opened my wallet and pulled out a ticket to their Feb. 26, 2003 concert. At First Ave in Minneapolis. :mrcool:

Nice.  Seen him twice at the Trocadero in Philly. 

I though Lemons was kind of weak though.  You?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on July 07, 2009, 09:55:52 PM
Whoa, whoa.  Zach mentioned Immortal Technique? 

I'm impressed!

Whats more unbelievable is that I actually listen to him too!

Rupert

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 09:48:11 PM
I like Eminem's earlier work (not his current rubbish) and a little 2pac.  That's it.

Even if I did like other artist's work, it doesn't excuse them from adhering to fundamental aspects of the English language, like, say, pronouncing the word correctly. 

There are songs which mispronounce a word so it flows with the music.  It seems with rap, that it is done solely to project an image of "hipness" or however it is interpreted nowadays.

How's that stick up yer butt? ;)

Rupert

Quote from: Submariner on July 07, 2009, 10:06:49 PM
Whats more unbelievable is that I actually listen to him too!

So do I. I didn't know that was such a cool and hip thing, or I would have said so years ago. :lol:

Tave