Beltronics STi Radar detector - undetectable?

Started by SVT_Power, July 27, 2009, 01:09:18 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 31, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
Looks like its just a tick shy of 100kph at the end of 2nd after all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJteFJviN0

it's probably designed to touch 60 mph  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Looks like I'll have to snap a picture of the Swift's speedo pegged
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2009, 05:33:06 PM
Looks like I'll have to snap a picture of the Swift's speedo pegged

You going to be able to find a road long enough to get it to 120kph?

:evildude:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 31, 2009, 05:34:23 PM
You going to be able to find a road long enough to get it to 120kph?

:evildude:

Nowhere in the southern half of Maine is there a road such as this.

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 31, 2009, 05:24:59 PM
Looks like its just a tick shy of 100kph at the end of 2nd after all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJteFJviN0

And you wonder why I bust your balls about your driving, man?   :evildude: :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

VTEC_Inside

Gotta-Qik-C7

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 01, 2009, 09:47:13 AM
:cheers:

Looks like some newbie on a group-ride lost his front end after accelerating too hard up to the camera car and panicking.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: R-inge on August 01, 2009, 09:55:49 AM
Looks like some newbie on a group-ride lost his front end after accelerating too hard up to the camera car and panicking.
I think he tried to pull a stoppie ( for the camara) and grabbed too much brake!  :huh:

S204STi

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 01, 2009, 10:07:47 AM
I think he tried to pull a stoppie ( for the camara) and grabbed too much brake!  :huh:

Ah, that makes sense.

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 01, 2009, 10:07:47 AM

I'm always cautious when I do that. It's either just enough brake to do one, or I don't do one.

dazzleman

Do any of you guys know anything about laser (lidar) detectors?

I've always heard they're useless, because by the time the detector can pick up the laser signal, they've already locked in on you and you're toast.

Then there's stuff that's supposed to make the car invisible to laser.  I've heard that doesn't work either.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

might be better to just save the money, and try to buy yourself out of the ticket  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 02, 2009, 12:30:22 PM
might be better to just save the money, and try to buy yourself out of the ticket  :lol:

That's what I was thinking.... :evildude:

It's really just idle curiosity on my part.  I used to use a radar detector, but I found them to be a major pain in the ass and not worth the trouble.  They took all the fun out of driving.  I'd rather get a ticket occasionally than listen to all the beeping and constantly be trying to figure out if there really was a cop around or not.  Except when the road is empty, the behavior of other drivers can tell you what a radar detector tells you.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on August 02, 2009, 12:24:55 PM
Do any of you guys know anything about laser (lidar) detectors?

I've always heard they're useless, because by the time the detector can pick up the laser signal, they've already locked in on you and you're toast.

Then there's stuff that's supposed to make the car invisible to laser.  I've heard that doesn't work either.
I have one in my Valentine One. Basically your toast if it goes off,but lots of times I've noticed that the LEO has to shoot me a couple times. Also a few times I've got a warning when they shot a car infront of me.

dazzleman

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 02, 2009, 12:46:17 PM
I have one in my Valentine One. Basically your toast if it goes off,but lots of times I've noticed that the LEO has to shoot me a couple times. Also a few times I've got a warning when they shot a car infront of me.

Those don't sound like great odds.  I guess that means if there's a car right in front of you, it might help, but otherwise it won't.

The cop who gave me my last ticket busted me using laser.  I doubt a detector would have helped under the circumstances.  It's been a long while now, so I'm back to thinking that I can't possibly get busted again.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on August 02, 2009, 12:49:37 PM
Those don't sound like great odds.  I guess that means if there's a car right in front of you, it might help, but otherwise it won't.

The cop who gave me my last ticket busted me using laser.  I doubt a detector would have helped under the circumstances.  It's been a long while now, so I'm back to thinking that I can't possibly get busted again.
Your rite, the odds are slim,but every lil bit helps.

dazzleman

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 02, 2009, 12:53:50 PM
Your rite, the odds are slim,but every lil bit helps.

But is it worth the trouble of using the damn thing?

SVT_Power

the few cops I've talked to say they usually need a few seconds to lock on and get an accurate reading. But of course that depends on what position they're trying to clock you from. Either way I'd say even a couple of seconds if it buys you that much, is more than plenty to slow down.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on August 02, 2009, 12:54:24 PM
But is it worth the trouble of using the damn thing?
Well mine was intergrated into the radar detector so it's just added protection. If your planning on goin out and buying one I'd say save your money.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT_Power on August 02, 2009, 12:57:26 PM
the few cops I've talked to say they usually need a few seconds to lock on and get an accurate reading. But of course that depends on what position they're trying to clock you from. Either way I'd say even a couple of seconds if it buys you that much, is more than plenty to slow down.
yeah! The darker the color of the car the harder it is to get a reading (my Z28 is black and the Corolla has a black brs) with Lidar. Also rain reduces the range of the gun. Like I said, every lil bit helps.

dazzleman

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on August 02, 2009, 12:57:55 PM
Well mine was intergrated into the radar detector so it's just added protection. If your planning on goin out and buying one I'd say save your money.

I'm not planning on it.  I don't even find radar detectors to be worth the bother of using them.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on August 02, 2009, 01:02:40 PM
I'm not planning on it.  I don't even find radar detectors to be worth the bother of using them.
I do a lot of highway driving (we all know about law enforncement in Ohio) so mine gets a pretty good workout. There also a lot of radar activity in the suburs bs around my job.

dazzleman

It may then be worth it for you.  Were you getting popped a lot before you got the V-1?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: dazzleman on August 02, 2009, 01:32:07 PM
It may then be worth it for you.  Were you getting popped a lot before you got the V-1?
Nope! But the V1 is by far the best detector i ever had. Those arrows and boogie counter are priceless!

hotrodalex

I don't bother with detectors. Not worth the money or higher risk of getting a ticket when pulled over if they see it. I just watch the traffic and don't do stupid things when I'm unsure.

I'm thinking about getting a cb radio for my El Camino. Those are much more helpful if you're on the highway as you can find out about the cops a couple miles beforehand.

Eye of the Tiger

Rodeo speeding:* (sorry I'm late)

*Professional driver on a closed course.