The Hyundai Genesis Coupe thread

Started by ifcar, August 27, 2009, 05:13:10 PM

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2009, 09:01:32 AM
I finally got to drive one on Saturday and I...agree with you.  If this were any other car I would say it's a big improvement over the last car.  But since it's a Mustang and they're supposed to be somewhat crude, it's almost a step back.  Don't get me wrong, I think it handles much better and is a much better car overall then the last car, but it's too quiet (it seemed strange that the exhaust is the only thing you can hear), too refined, and too well-mannered.  I never thought I would say a Mustang was too well mannered.

This actually makes me more interested in the new Mustang :mask:

SVT32V

I don't think
Quote from: CaMIRO on September 08, 2009, 10:16:46 AM
I'm sure the specs were good; I didn't experience fade, and they stopped the car - but there was no pedal feel whatsoever. Braking in the Cobra was as though stomping on a button; sort of like the brakes in most VW Group products, if somewhat more consistent.

I don't think the pedal is lacking in feel, it needs a good bit of pressure but it is easily modulated.  If you are used to overassisted brakes then you won't like it.

Loved the car, despite the flaws. Too many things needed sorting. They ticked off all the right boxes, but the end product could have used more development. Mind you, this was a convertible, so some of the twitching could be put down to (an additional) lack of rigidity.
The vert was a joke with respect to rigidity, without subframe connectors it was boneless chicken, not a nice feel.
And you're probably right about the 7,000 rpm part, although I had the car on loan from a colleague and I doubt I pushed the engine into its last 800 revs or so.

Raza

Quote from: CaMIRO on September 08, 2009, 10:16:46 AM
I'm sure the specs were good; I didn't experience fade, and they stopped the car - but there was no pedal feel whatsoever. Braking in the Cobra was as though stomping on a button; sort of like the brakes in most VW Group products, if somewhat more consistent.

Loved the car, despite the flaws. Too many things needed sorting. They ticked off all the right boxes, but the end product could have used more development. Mind you, this was a convertible, so some of the twitching could be put down to (an additional) lack of rigidity.

And you're probably right about the 7,000 rpm part, although I had the car on loan from a colleague and I doubt I pushed the engine into its last 800 revs or so.

You've got to drive more Volkswagens. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 12, 2009, 09:47:19 AM
To be fair, he has a point.

Does he?  Both Volkswagens I've owned have had very good brake feel.  A guy I know complained about his 2.5 I5 Jetta's brakes, but I haven't heard anything about his new CC.  My Jetta's got great brake feel, and I'm not just comparing it to my old Mercedes, but to my old Porsche as well.  Porsche does the best brakes in the business, and while they aren't as good or better or anything like that, they certainly don't fall too far short of the mark; which is saying quite a bit for a sedan that costs one-third the price. 

Miro's complained about VW brakes before (and throttle response, too, I believe), but from my experience with modern Volkswagens, I just don't see it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 08, 2009, 11:17:13 AM
This actually makes me more interested in the new Mustang :mask:
Yea past Mustangs almost punished you for their focus on straight line performance. There was no need for such low quality everywhere else. The new car finally looks like a quality piece worthy of sale in the 21st century (even though it still has a shitty interior design).

Morris Minor

Can you think of a competitor in the Genesis Coupe 2.0T's niche?

If you want an inexpensive RWD four banger to tune up & maybe take to the track, I can't think of anything else out there. On the face of it, this thing's a spiritual successor to the 240SX. Everybody is lusting for the V6, but the 4  could well be a more accessible starting point for aftermarket wizardry.

Thoughts?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 06, 2009, 01:09:08 PM
Can you think of a competitor in the Genesis Coupe 2.0T's niche?

If you want an inexpensive RWD four banger to tune up & maybe take to the track, I can't think of anything else out there. On the face of it, this thing's a spiritual successor to the 240SX. Everybody is lusting for the V6, but the 4  could well be a more accessible starting point for aftermarket wizardry.

Thoughts?

But why would you demand to have a four-cylinder?

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on October 06, 2009, 01:45:00 PM
But why would you demand to have a four-cylinder?

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 06, 2009, 01:09:08 PM
the 4 could well be a more accessible starting point for aftermarket wizardry.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ifcar

In context, that's within the Genesis Coupe line. Will a Hyundai four-cylinder really have more aftermarket potential than, say, the GM 3.6-liter V6 in Camaro?

Rich

It's the only 30mpg RWD car in existence!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Sigma Projects

Quote from: ifcar on October 06, 2009, 02:35:50 PM
In context, that's within the Genesis Coupe line. Will a Hyundai four-cylinder really have more aftermarket potential than, say, the GM 3.6-liter V6 in Camaro?

Maybe, since the Hyundai 4 is already turboed. But the 3.6L already has aftermarket parts for it even before the camaro came out since it was in the CTS and it's the same motor. They already dynoed a CTS a while ago showing that aftermarket intake/exhaust increased power at the wheels by 30 HP.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Morris Minor

I just have this irrational love of small engines that put out lots of power... & I'd feel less guilty stripping unneeded bits out of a $27K car than a $32K car.

Edit: It looks like Hyundai are thinking small is good too. This looks like a real bargain:
Hyundai introduces R-Spec Genesis Coupe for enthusiasts
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/chicago-2009-hyundai-introduces-r-spec-genesis-coupe-for-enthus/

Sigma Projects

3K less than the 2.0 Track, what does it not have? Sounds like a good deal. Hehe are all the color names a head nod to race tracks, I know the Tsukuba one is a race track in japan.

MX793

Quote from: Sigma Projects on October 06, 2009, 03:06:14 PM
3K less than the 2.0 Track, what does it not have? Sounds like a good deal. Hehe are all the color names a head nod to race tracks, I know the Tsukuba one is a race track in japan.

The 2.0 Track has a lot of creature comforts on top of the upgraded driving hardware (premium stereo, power moonroof, power seats...).  The 2.0 R-spec gets the upgraded performance hardware of the track model, but is stripped of the upmarket creature comforts.  In fact, it may even have fewer ammenities than the base 2.0 (I'm not sure the R-spec even gets cruise control).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

No cruise control.  Bah...I wonder how many they'll sell.  Who's gonna buy a Genesis coupe solely for track use?  :rolleyes:

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on October 06, 2009, 02:35:50 PM

Supposedly the turbo 4 is pretty closely related to Mitsubishi's 4B11T which powers the Lancer Ralliart and Evolution.  If that's true, there will be a lot of tuning potential there and a huge aftermarket.  Much more than I'd expect from GM's OHC V6 line.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Sigma Projects

I see, R-Spec sounds great. I don't care for sun roofs and junk.

Quote from: MX793 on October 06, 2009, 03:35:00 PM
Supposedly the turbo 4 is pretty closely related to Mitsubishi's 4B11T which powers the Lancer Ralliart and Evolution.  If that's true, there will be a lot of tuning potential there and a huge aftermarket.  Much more than I'd expect from GM's OHC V6 line.

Is that really confirmed? I mean the 3SGTE is extremely tunable but no one did anything with it calling it a unmodifiable motor for a long time till someone started getting them up to 400hp. Any engine can be tuned up I mean there are 22RE (Toyota's old truck motor from the early 80's) pushing 300hp whp and over 350 wtq turboed. But there aren't any real aftermarket stuff for it.

There will probably be less mods for the GM 3.6L but already it has a huge lead on it in terms of power and the few aftermarket parts have shown good gains.

SVT666

There's no cruise control, and that article is from February.  We haven't heard anything since then about this car.

MX793

Quote from: Sigma Projects on October 06, 2009, 03:56:36 PM
I see, R-Spec sounds great. I don't care for sun roofs and junk.

Is that really confirmed? I mean the 3SGTE is extremely tunable but no one did anything with it calling it a unmodifiable motor for a long time till someone started getting them up to 400hp. Any engine can be tuned up I mean there are 22RE (Toyota's old truck motor from the early 80's) pushing 300hp whp and over 350 wtq turboed. But there aren't any real aftermarket stuff for it.

There will probably be less mods for the GM 3.6L but already it has a huge lead on it in terms of power and the few aftermarket parts have shown good gains.

If they are related motors, and depending on exactly how closely related they are, it may be a case where Mitsu parts will bolt right in.  In which case, Hyundai owners may be able to buy hop-up parts from the Mitsu Evo parts catalogs.  Cams, stronger pistons and con-rods, maybe even the entire head assembly.

And while Camaro has a good head start in power, it also weighs about 500 lbs more than the Genesis 2.0T.  With that kind of weight disparity, the Genesis really only needs about 270 hp before it's on par with the V6 Camaro.  That's certainly an easy number to get even if the motor isn't related to the Evo motor.  IIRC, it supposedly makes 220 on Premium unleaded (it's rated for 210 on regular).

Also, was the 30 hp gain from intake/exhaust on the DI version of the 3.6 motor or the "regular" 3.6 (the 265 hp version in the base CTS and G8)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on October 06, 2009, 04:44:55 PM
Mods will be coming for the V6 Camaros.

http://www.camaro5.com/?p=1789

Putting a turbo on a car that was never turboed is a bit more complicated than upgrading an already turbocharged car.  Particularly in the case of the 3.6L DI, since the compression ratios are pretty high on that motor.
Needs more Jiggawatts

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on October 06, 2009, 04:50:21 PM
Putting a turbo on a car that was never turboed is a bit more complicated than upgrading an already turbocharged car.  Particularly in the case of the 3.6L DI, since the compression ratios are pretty high on that motor.

+1

Modifying a Genesis turbo would be as simple and bolting on some parts and reflashing the PCM in most cases.

SVT666

SEMA preview: GReddy X-Gen Street Hyundai Genesis Coupe
10/06/2009, 3:21 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

The 3.8L V6 model of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe may be the hottest version of the coupe straight out of the box, but GReddy has developed a new range performance parts to turn the 2.0L turbo model from an also-ran to king of the hill.

GReddy Performance Parts has teamed with Hyundai to create the ?GReddy X-Gen Street Genesis Coupe?, set to hit the show stage at this year?s SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Based on the 2.0L version of the Genesis Coupe, GReddy has seriously upped the coupe?s street and track cred ? not the mention the obligatory SEMA body work.

The GReddy X-Gen Street Genesis Coupe is aimed at the driving enthusiasts that uses the vehicle as a daily driver, but also might pull weekend racing duties with the same rig. As such, the modifications aren?t over the top, but add up to a healthy 350 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque. GReddy says the tuned coupe can run from 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

If 350 horsepower still sounds a little too tame, GReddy is also working on a 500 horsepower version of the kit.

?The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is a perfect car for the automotive enthusiast and the GReddy products are designed to maximize the performance capabilities of the vehicle,? said Kenji Sumino, general manager, GReddy Performance Parts. ?The Genesis Coupe is the ideal car for SEMA and we are building upon the overall concepts originally designed by Hyundai engineers and are looking forward to developing a must-see car at this year?s SEMA Show.?

Look for GReddy to launch a number of other performance parts for the Genesis Coupe ? including exhaust and suspension components ? in the coming months.

Submariner

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 07, 2009, 09:11:02 AM
SEMA preview: GReddy X-Gen Street Hyundai Genesis Coupe
10/06/2009, 3:21 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

The 3.8L V6 model of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe may be the hottest version of the coupe straight out of the box, but GReddy has developed a new range performance parts to turn the 2.0L turbo model from an also-ran to king of the hill.

GReddy Performance Parts has teamed with Hyundai to create the ?GReddy X-Gen Street Genesis Coupe?, set to hit the show stage at this year?s SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Based on the 2.0L version of the Genesis Coupe, GReddy has seriously upped the coupe?s street and track cred ? not the mention the obligatory SEMA body work.

The GReddy X-Gen Street Genesis Coupe is aimed at the driving enthusiasts that uses the vehicle as a daily driver, but also might pull weekend racing duties with the same rig. As such, the modifications aren?t over the top, but add up to a healthy 350 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque. GReddy says the tuned coupe can run from 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

If 350 horsepower still sounds a little too tame, GReddy is also working on a 500 horsepower version of the kit.

?The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is a perfect car for the automotive enthusiast and the GReddy products are designed to maximize the performance capabilities of the vehicle,? said Kenji Sumino, general manager, GReddy Performance Parts. ?The Genesis Coupe is the ideal car for SEMA and we are building upon the overall concepts originally designed by Hyundai engineers and are looking forward to developing a must-see car at this year?s SEMA Show.?

Look for GReddy to launch a number of other performance parts for the Genesis Coupe ? including exhaust and suspension components ? in the coming months.

Why does 500 HP out of a turbo 2.0 4-pot sound a little...risky?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 06, 2009, 03:57:32 PM
There's no cruise control, and that article is from February.  We haven't heard anything since then about this car.

According to Wikipedia, the R-Spec will be released in mid-2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe

The weekend racer crowd is just going to have to wait

Sigma Projects

Quote from: MX793 on October 06, 2009, 04:14:15 PM
If they are related motors, and depending on exactly how closely related they are, it may be a case where Mitsu parts will bolt right in.  In which case, Hyundai owners may be able to buy hop-up parts from the Mitsu Evo parts catalogs.  Cams, stronger pistons and con-rods, maybe even the entire head assembly.

And while Camaro has a good head start in power, it also weighs about 500 lbs more than the Genesis 2.0T.  With that kind of weight disparity, the Genesis really only needs about 270 hp before it's on par with the V6 Camaro.  That's certainly an easy number to get even if the motor isn't related to the Evo motor.  IIRC, it supposedly makes 220 on Premium unleaded (it's rated for 210 on regular).

Also, was the 30 hp gain from intake/exhaust on the DI version of the 3.6 motor or the "regular" 3.6 (the 265 hp version in the base CTS and G8)?

So no confirmation yet, at least GReady is making their kit it looks like from HEMI's post. The 30 rear wheel HP gain was from the DI version. Corsa dynoed the CTS before at 263hp and after with intake and exhaust to 294hp. Sadly though sounds like the Camaro makes a lot of waste as I saw someone dynoed their V6 and was putting down 246rwhp... but they did say it was running super rich from the factory, wonder what kind of results someone can get with a different tune.

Edit: just realized the dyno run of the V6 Camaro that put down 246rwhp was also equipped with an auto.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on October 07, 2009, 09:50:45 AM
Why does 500 HP out of a turbo 2.0 4-pot sound a little...risky?
If one were to buy the R-Spec & decided to budget an extra $2K on mods, what would yield the best return on the buck? I'm thinking cold air intake & decent exhaust headers, but that would prolly give no more than about 20hp.