The Hyundai Genesis Coupe thread

Started by ifcar, August 27, 2009, 05:13:10 PM

ifcar

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has, and I'll be linking to posted updates over the next week.

Photo gallery here:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m8d27-A-week-in-the-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Day-1-introduction

Vinsanity

I already posted a comment on your page, but here goes:

1. ride quality

2. clutch engagement

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 27, 2009, 05:29:41 PM
I already posted a comment on your page, but here goes:

1. ride quality

2. clutch engagement

My transmission perception is skewed a bit from coming off the ridiculously difficult Forte SX, so I'm at the moment impressed with anything that doesn't try to stall when you move forward. But you will get a sharp jerk if you're not shifting very carefully into 4th and 5th.

And this impression may change as I drive over more roads, but I didn't have a major problem with the track suspension either so far on this car or on the 2.0T Track I drove a few months ago. It's certainly far from supple, but I haven't hit any truly terrible bumps yet. It's not all that much worse than a Grand Touring I'd driven. (Link to that review: http://tinyurl.com/lcewry )

MX793

Wish I could find a V6 manual version to test drive.  The dealerships around here predominantly stock the 4 cylinder model (and most of those examples are automatics).  The only 2 V6 models I've seen on local lots were both autos.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on August 27, 2009, 05:53:10 PM
Wish I could find a V6 manual version to test drive.  The dealerships around here predominantly stock the 4 cylinder model (and most of those examples are automatics).  The only 2 V6 models I've seen on local lots were both autos.

There are a bunch of V6 manuals on DC lots. One dealer chain alone has six, all discounted much more than the automatics.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on August 27, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
My transmission perception is skewed a bit from coming off the ridiculously difficult Forte SX, so I'm at the moment impressed with anything that doesn't try to stall when you move forward. But you will get a sharp jerk if you're not shifting very carefully into 4th and 5th.

Are you sure it's the car and not your skillz? 4-5 is the easiest shift. Reaching the gate might irritate you if you're not used to the car, but it shouldn't feel jerky at all.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on August 27, 2009, 05:57:13 PM
Are you sure it's the car and not your skillz? 4-5 is the easiest shift. Reaching the gate might irritate you if you're not used to the car, but it shouldn't feel jerky at all.

It's the clutch, not the shifter. I can't think of any other car I've driven where it was easier to shift smoothly in the lower gears than the higher ones.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on August 27, 2009, 05:53:53 PM
There are a bunch of V6 manuals on DC lots. One dealer chain alone has six, all discounted much more than the automatics.

There are 3 dealerships within 50 miles of me.  One of them is supposedly one of the biggest in the US.  One dealership has a single base model 4 cylinder manual (said dealer has never had more than a single Genesis coupe in stock at any given time that I've seen).  The second dealership, which is decent sized, has a single V6 base automatic in stock.  The third, the aforementioned large dealership, has four 2.0T models (3 premiums, one base) and all of them are automatics.  Upstate NY dealerships are simply terrified to stock manuals.  If a particular model only comes with a manual gearbox, they won't carry that model at all (or they'll stock one and not hurry to restock it once it's gone).  I haven't seen a WRX at a dealership since they became manual-only.  I've seen Impreza GTs, but no WRXs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on August 27, 2009, 06:00:34 PM
It's the clutch, not the shifter. I can't think of any other car I've driven where it was easier to shift smoothly in the lower gears than the higher ones.

Neither can I, which is why I mentioned it (the bit about the gate pattern was an aside).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Quote from: ifcar on August 29, 2009, 12:04:41 PM
Details on the Genesis Coupe interior: seats/trunk/quality/visibility.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m8d29-A-week-in-the-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Day-3-interior-details

Wow, that's classy.

So you have a Track model? C&D, in the ridiculous "comparison" between the GC and the Camaro, dinged the GC major points for having too harsh a ride. This complaint could have easily been remedied had they not checked the Track Pack option. :rolleyes: Pay attention to ride quality and let us know if C&D is full of beans.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on August 29, 2009, 12:31:14 PM

So you have a Track model? C&D, in the ridiculous "comparison" between the GC and the Camaro, dinged the GC major points for having too harsh a ride. This complaint could have easily been remedied had they not checked the Track Pack option. :rolleyes: Pay attention to ride quality and let us know if C&D is full of beans.

The ride isn't great, especially over larger low-speed bumps, but it's not unlivable even on the Track version. But if C/D really hated, they likely wouldn't have cared much for the Grand Touring either; ride quality is fairly similar between the two versions.

giant_mtb

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on August 29, 2009, 12:31:14 PM
Wow, that's classy.

Well, to C&D's defense, the ride harshness (IIRC, they complained that the suspension would chatter on choppy roads and cause the ABS to activate under braking) may be something that only really becomes a real detriment when you start pushing the car past 8/10ths on rough roads.  In a competition environment, the spring rates, damping compression and damping rebound need to be tuned specifically for the size and shape of the bumps as well the speed at which they are going to be taken.  A vehicle that rides very well over choppy roads at low speeds may not follow the bumps of the road well at higher speeds and a vehicle that handles bumps well and high speeds may not absorb them as well at lower speeds.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Catman

My Mazda interior looks like a Sith starship.  All black with red lights. :mrcool:

Raza

I'm seeing more of these (well, the same one over and over, we commute at similar times), and I love the looks.  I've only driven the 2.0T stick and V6 automatic, and the 2.0T was a huge disappointment.  The clutch engagement was terrible, and the throttle felt overly light.  I want to try a V6 stick though. 

As usual, I had no problems with ride quality.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quotebut within reason law enforcement won't mind you zipping your way up to the speed limit and then immediately dropping to fifth or sixth gear to settle down.

I heard this can cause premature wear on the synchros of transmissions that weren't designed to skip gears (i.e. Honda S2000)

QuoteAlso, the transmission on the Genesis Coupe doesn't have a gear for relaxed highway cruising. Even sixth at 60 miles per hour is around 2300 revolutions per minute, which impacts noise levels and gas mileage.

2300 rpm @ 60 mph doesn't seem too bad. I think my car spins almost that much at 60, and most passengers say it's quieter than their own car (including my brother's G35)

QuoteAn advantage to a powerful engine is that driving it gently produces the same go as flooring the accelerator in an economy car, giving it a range of talents.

Welcome to Club V6 :praise:

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 31, 2009, 09:47:31 PM
I heard this can cause premature wear on the synchros of transmissions that weren't designed to skip gears (i.e. Honda S2000)

Skipping gears shouldn't cause any more wear than a sequential shift if you do it right (e.g. matching revs by way of double clutching, or just pausing longer than normal in neutral to let the input and output speeds get closer).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 01, 2009, 04:16:33 AM
Skipping gears shouldn't cause any more wear than a sequential shift if you do it right (e.g. matching revs by way of double clutching, or just pausing longer than normal in neutral to let the input and output speeds get closer).

I thought you didn't have to double clutch on a modern transmission if you blip the throttle?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19732.msg1150988#msg1150988 date=1251815451
I thought you didn't have to double clutch on a modern transmission if you blip the throttle?
You don't.  Double clutching was beneficial on cars without synchros.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 01, 2009, 08:30:51 AM

Blipping the throttle with the clutch in will eliminate and drivetrain lurch/jerk, but it won't match the transmission shafts or spare your synchros any.  The only way to reduce synchro wear is to match the speed transmission shafts, and the only way to do that is to either double clutch or shift clutchlessly (presuming you do it correctly).  Blipping the throttle with the clutch in only matches the clutch speed with the pressure plate speed, it has no effect on the spinning bits in the transmission.  The synchros do the work of matching the speeds of the transmission shafts and gears.  The greater the shaft speed differential, the harder the synchros have to work (and the more wear and tear you'll subject them to).  While you don't need to double clutch a synchromesh box, if the transmission is known to have weak synchros, you can prolong their life by double clutching.  In a non-synchromesh box, you must double clutch or the shifter simply won't engage the next gear (it'll grind and refuse to engage) because there's nothing to match the gear speeds to allow them to mesh up otherwise.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 01, 2009, 03:35:47 PM
Blipping the throttle with the clutch in will eliminate and drivetrain lurch/jerk, but it won't match the transmission shafts or spare your synchros any.  The only way to reduce synchro wear is to match the speed transmission shafts, and the only way to do that is to either double clutch or shift clutchlessly.

Swift :praise:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Loro

Anyone know what the auto is like? My father is cross shopping this and a v6 camaro but needs an auto for the wife. I know it has paddle shifters, but does it still take forever to shift like a traditional auto?

ifcar

Quote from: Loro on September 01, 2009, 05:46:27 PM
Anyone know what the auto is like? My father is cross shopping this and a v6 camaro but needs an auto for the wife. I know it has paddle shifters, but does it still take forever to shift like a traditional auto?

It's very good about following driver demand, I can say that much. I don't recall how quickly it shifted, but another driver at the media event had unknowingly put it in manual mode and the car never overrode the manual gear selection to upshift out of first.

No Mustang?

Raza

Quote from: Loro on September 01, 2009, 05:46:27 PM

I thought it was pretty good.  The paddle shift is nice, but I remember the Camaro's being better.  The Genesis looks better and has a better interior, but the Camaro is a better value. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19732.msg1151688#msg1151688 date=1251899626
I thought it was pretty good.  The paddle shift is nice, but I remember the Camaro's being better.  The Genesis looks better and has a better interior, but the Camaro is a better value. 
I found the paddle shifters in the Genesis to be very slow to react at times, especially on the downshift.