Dodge Updates for 2010 (Caliber, Sebring updated).

Started by WookieOnRitalin, September 15, 2009, 05:16:30 PM

WookieOnRitalin

http://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/2010.html

Allpar just highlighted the majority of the changes for the 2010 model year including several big changes to the 2010 Caliber and Sebring.

The Caliber gets an "all new" interior design similar to the update to the Jeep Patriot. Caliber might also get heated mirror, power seating, and automatic air conditioning (odd that some of these features are not rumored to be available with the Patriot). All in all, it gets a new storage bin (looks like the iPod holder was axed), more soft touch plastics at touch points, and chrome trim accents.

Old Interior

New Interior

The Sebring gets a more mild hood. Not quite as ugly I suppose.

A case of a too little too late?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

CJ

I don't know.  Chrysler seems to be doing not too bad after bankruptcy.  I think we'll start seeing models that people actually want.

the Teuton

The interior really isn't the reason I hate driving the Caliber.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on September 15, 2009, 09:02:41 PM
The interior really isn't the reason I hate driving the Caliber.

Ding ding.

Chrysler's interiors were only their most obvious problem. Even reviewers who normally praise anything (except Warren Brown at the Washington Post, who thinks the Sebring is just fine and doesn't see what all the fuss is about) criticized the interiors. Interior quality is neither the only problem on the Caliber or Sebring nor even the most significant.

Interior comfort, interior space (on the Sebring), ride, handling, refinement, fuel economy -- there isn't anything class-competitive about those cars.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Great.  No more pointy corner on the center stack beat the shit out of my knee.  Now if only they can do something about the fuel mileage, steering, seats, ride, handling, brake feel, and shitty transmission.

TBR

As everyone else has noted, the Caliber still has plenty of problems to go around.

Better interiors are generally a good sign, it shows that they are putting effort into their cars again.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 15, 2009, 10:01:12 PM
As everyone else has noted, the Caliber still has plenty of problems to go around.

Better interiors are generally a good sign, it shows that they are putting effort into their cars again.

I disagree. It shows they're trying to disguise crap in a more attractive wrapper. Hyundai nailed interior quality before it figured out suspensions, engines, or seats, because it's easy and it makes for a good first impression.

It will be interesting to see the next new product Chrysler brings out. It will determine whether the Ram standard is an anomaly -- they put lots of effort into their only significant seller -- or the new rule.

cawimmer430

I saw a Caliber a few days ago on the road. Am I cool or what?  :rockon:

Hell, I've driven the Caliber diesel (with a VW TDI engine) and I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. They're literally dirt cheap here, roomy enough and practical. The interior is junk, no doubt, but I don't think anyone really cares.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 16, 2009, 05:42:52 AM
I saw a Caliber a few days ago on the road. Am I cool or what?  :rockon:

Hell, I've driven the Caliber diesel (with a VW TDI engine) and I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. They're literally dirt cheap here, roomy enough and practical. The interior is junk, no doubt, but I don't think anyone really cares.

In the US, you can get better for the same money. I don't know European pricing, but unless it's literally the cheapest new car available, you can probably do the same in Europe.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on September 15, 2009, 10:06:06 PM
I disagree. It shows they're trying to disguise crap in a more attractive wrapper. Hyundai nailed interior quality before it figured out suspensions, engines, or seats, because it's easy and it makes for a good first impression.

It will be interesting to see the next new product Chrysler brings out. It will determine whether the Ram standard is an anomaly -- they put lots of effort into their only significant seller -- or the new rule.

What's strange is that Chrysler has nailed some good efforts in the past, but have just as many dismal failures recently. The whole "design sells" has forced them behind the competition. For example, a fully loaded Jeep Patriot Limited (4x4, CVT, Leather, Power Seating, Sunroof, Boston Acoustics, Heated Seats/Mirrors, etc) is going to sticker around 28k+. Who in the right mind would ever spend that much on a Jeep Patriot when like iffy says, there is just other vehicles that have superior attributes for an even lower price point. Though sadly, I heard a rumor that Fiat is going to axe the Patriot by 2011 (this is why I hate when foreigners get involved with American car companies and essentially destroy their products).

I will say iffy, that effort is always appreciated. Chrysler has a lot of problems right now. Quality is just one of them. Improving quality of each vehicle is a good place to start don't you think? Outside of SRTs, the average Chrysler engine has been sorely lacking behind the competition in horsepower or fuel efficiency. Plus, the choice of CVT automatics across the board has been a disappointment. I would figure that a 5 or 6 speed automatic would be better choices for overall performance. The new Phoenix V6s look promising and should help bring Chrysler back to the competition, but not at the front of the competition.

I would think that Chrysler would be in a great position to have a great vehicle lineup as they have only 3 car brands to differentiate and focus their efforts. Chrysler (premium/luxury), Dodge (performance), and Jeep (which will sell anything as long as it is a Jeep).
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

r0tor

The Patriot should die... i had one as a rental for a day and it was single handedly the worst POS i've encountered that has been made in the last 5-10 years
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: r0tor on September 16, 2009, 11:47:37 AM
The Patriot should die... i had one as a rental for a day and it was single handedly the worst POS i've encountered that has been made in the last 5-10 years

I find that doubtful. What year was it?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Galaxy

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 16, 2009, 11:18:28 AM
I would think that Chrysler would be in a great position to have a great vehicle lineup as they have only 3 car brands to differentiate and focus their efforts. Chrysler (premium/luxury), Dodge (performance), and Jeep (which will sell anything as long as it is a Jeep).

Most companies can not successfully pull off the distinction between premium/luxury and performance, especially in the US. Plus one has to view Chrysler in the context of Fiat. Alfa has the performance category locked down across a huge price spread. Everything from entry performance cars up to the point where Ferrari takes over. IMO Dodge will get the role of serving as a US outlet of rebadged Fiats. Chrysler can really only be positioned as an entry luxury brand like Buick. Perhaps they will even be positioned higher if Fiat gives up Lancia. Jeep will stay as it is, however there exists a real possibility that they will become as irrelevant as Land Rover in the future.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Galaxy on September 16, 2009, 05:51:42 PM
Most companies can not successfully pull off the distinction between premium/luxury and performance, especially in the US. Plus one has to view Chrysler in the context of Fiat. Alfa has the performance category locked down across a huge price spread. Everything from entry performance cars up to the point where Ferrari takes over. IMO Dodge will get the role of serving as a US outlet of rebadged Fiats. Chrysler can really only be positioned as an entry luxury brand like Buick. Perhaps they will even be positioned higher if Fiat gives up Lancia. Jeep will stay as it is, however there exists a real possibility that they will become as irrelevant as Land Rover in the future.

For both are sakes, I hope you are wrong. Jeep is one of the most profitable brands out there because of its wide appeal to several different markets. It also is a standard in off road performance and a true American icon. I don't think any one person can look at a Jeep owner and say, "what an idiot," or "that guy could have had a Prius."

I think the majority of Americans have a real soft spot for Jeeps. I think its the one brand that everyone secretly roots for even if they don't own one. From Fiat's perspective, why would they not take advantage of that from a profit stand point? The difference between Land Rover and Jeep is not that Jeeps are better than Land Rovers, but that Jeep has a cultural identity here in America where Land Rover does not. Land Rover was easily irrelevant because they have no cultural foundation here. Jeep does.

I'd rather see every single American car brand die before Jeep. Then again, I own one so perhaps I am bias. Then again, it's an original Jeep Grand Cherokee. Almost 20 years and still going on the original V8. Soon, it will go, but I can honestly say that no other American brand commands as much respect as Jeep does. Maybe its the fact that Jeeps help defeat the Germans. Perhaps, it is the idea that Jeeps brought adventure to driving experience by taking cars off road. It is probably a lot of things, but the one thing that will always be true is that Jeeps have always been defined by where they take people and not necessarily where people take them.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Galaxy

If you want Jeep to continue to be a
mainstream brand then you have to accept that the future is going to be with vehicles like the Compass and that a future Grand Cherokee is going to be benchmarked against how quickly it can go around the N?rburgring and not how well it manages the Rubicon trail. I think that Land Rover does do a good job of maintaining the core values of the brand. Even the Freelander2 is not that bad.

r0tor

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 16, 2009, 02:43:19 PM
I find that doubtful. What year was it?

2006ish probably.  Its not doubtful.  The engine sounded like it was going to fall apart anytime the rpms got above idle.  Even with the gas pedal mashed, the slushbox shifted itself a couple thousand rpms before redline - which means the thing practically never got above 3000 rpms.  The steering and brakes sucked.  The interior was typical Chrysler shit.  The rental only had like 5,000 miles on it... my fathers 1995 Explorer was easily 10x better then that pig
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2009, 06:04:21 AM
2006ish probably.  Its not doubtful.  The engine sounded like it was going to fall apart anytime the rpms got above idle.  Even with the gas pedal mashed, the slushbox shifted itself a couple thousand rpms before redline - which means the thing practically never got above 3000 rpms.  The steering and brakes sucked.  The interior was typical Chrysler shit.  The rental only had like 5,000 miles on it... my fathers 1995 Explorer was easily 10x better then that pig

The Patriot has a CVT. It never shifts.

r0tor

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2009, 07:12:20 AM
the one i had didnt have cvt

Then the one you had wasn't a Patriot. Every automatic-transmission Patriot has a CVT.

r0tor

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2009, 07:19:37 AM
err shit... nevermind, i drove the Liberty

The primary difference is that Patriot drives like a bad car and the Liberty drives like a bad truck. The Liberty is bigger, but they do look pretty similar these days. 

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on September 17, 2009, 07:24:36 AM
The primary difference is that Patriot drives like a bad car and the Liberty drives like a bad truck. The Liberty is bigger, but they do look pretty similar these days. 

They do?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

I can safely say that the current Liberty is the worst vehicle I have ever driven in my life. I have not driven a Compatriotaliber, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on September 17, 2009, 09:29:14 AM
I can safely say that the current Liberty is the worst vehicle I have ever driven in my life. I have not driven a Compatriotaliber, though.
Worse then the Caliber or Yaris?  Cause I fucking hate the Yaris.  I fucking hate it.

SVT666

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 17, 2009, 09:37:17 AM
Worse then the Caliber or Yaris?  Cause I fucking hate the Yaris.  I fucking hate it.

I can only judge based on driving a few Yari at parking lots speeds for service at wallytown; the Liberty is far worse. I base my Liberty judgement on driving a practically brand new rental from Chicago to central Michigan in the winter. All responses are delayed with no feedback through any controls. With zero to negative road feel, it is a completely artificial experience. Driver inputs become based primarily on vision, like a bad video game. This alone makes it scary as hell in the snow and ice, but then it is compounded by absolutely stupid stability/traction control and ABS. Aside from that, the ride was horribly choppy, it had zero directional stability on the highway, the interior was junk, the gas mileage was atrocious, and the engine sounded like a low-grade kitchen appliance and made about as much power. How anybody could pay $25k+ for one of those things, I have no idea. Perhaps the off road ability is reasonable, but there are tons of vehicles with that are just as good, or better, off road, but without the absolutely sickening on-road experience.... such as a Rodeo, the sports car of mid-sized body-on-frame SUV's. :praise:

J86

Quote from: NACar on September 17, 2009, 09:52:49 AM
I can only judge based on driving a few Yari at parking lots speeds for service at wallytown; the Liberty is far worse. I base my Liberty judgement on driving a practically brand new rental from Chicago to central Michigan in the winter. All responses are delayed with no feedback through any controls. With zero to negative road feel, it is a completely artificial experience. Driver inputs become based primarily on vision, like a bad video game. This alone makes it scary as hell in the snow and ice, but then it is compounded by absolutely stupid stability/traction control and ABS. Aside from that, the ride was horribly choppy, it had zero directional stability on the highway, the interior was junk, the gas mileage was atrocious, and the engine sounded like a low-grade kitchen appliance and made about as much power. How anybody could pay $25k+ for one of those things, I have no idea. Perhaps the off road ability is reasonable, but there are tons of vehicles with that are just as good, or better, off road, but without the absolutely sickening on-road experience.... such as a Rodeo, the sports car of mid-sized body-on-frame SUV's. :praise:

Rented one for a week in CO.  Couldn't agree more.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: J86 on September 17, 2009, 11:22:25 AM
Rented one for a week in CO.  Couldn't agree more.

Have you ever driven a worse vehicle?

J86

Quote from: NACar on September 17, 2009, 11:26:07 AM
Have you ever driven a worse vehicle?

In terms of a new vehicle?  Absolutely not.  I'm sure there are other Chrysler products (like the Caliber you mentioned) that are worse, but I haven't driven 'em.  My biggest takeaway was I just simply could not fathom how, in good conscience, someone could spend their hard-earned dollars on such a thing and think it was a remotely good idea.