Suggestions for possible new car?

Started by BimmerM3, September 22, 2009, 08:45:26 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Charlie, get the MR2.

-There are no issues with the car being too feminine
-It's awesome
-Women will think you drive a Porsche
-It has two trunks
-It's reliable as all hell
-Get it. Now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

I've heavily researched E36 3ers, and it's not a bad car to own in terms of cost if you're willing to do your own work and don't mind the occasional electrical issue.  They are pretty well designed for the DIYer, and parts can be had for reasonable prices.  Plan on replacing the cooling system (including radiator) every 60K miles.  It's a fairly easy job. 

I love them, and will own one, but with work and school, it's just not realistic right now (but I'd take the risk if the right one popped up).

Honestly, for as much as I kvetch about my Proteg? on here, it's a fucking fantastic car.  The more I drive other cars, the more I like this one.  But it's absolutely terrible with a foot of snow on the ground (likely not an issue for you), and tire selection isn't the greatest. 

The FS-DE isn't the most stout motor, but change the oil regularly and don't be an idiot (WOT on a cold engine, etc.), and you'll be fine.

Definitely test drive one.  It's also a pretty easy car to work on.  Not quite as easy as my Civic was, but very close.  In your situation, I can't say that I'd pick one over a Miata, but it's a very good car.

Like I said before, Miata meets 3-series meets poverty.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Aw dammit, that MR2 is in Florida. I don't think that's going to happen.

Minpin

I searched in a two hundred mile radius. It's not too far from ya.

I'll be in Atlanta this weekend, I'll give you a life.  :lol:

edit: lift i mean.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:03:38 PM
Aw dammit, that MR2 is in Florida. I don't think that's going to happen.

My Ohio dad bought a Pennsylvania car 180 miles away from home (with my help, of course). Make it happen.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on September 22, 2009, 10:02:53 PM
I've heavily researched E36 3ers, and it's not a bad car to own in terms of cost if you're willing to do your own work and don't mind the occasional electrical issue.  They are pretty well designed for the DIYer, and parts can be had for reasonable prices.  Plan on replacing the cooling system (including radiator) every 60K miles.  It's a fairly easy job.  

I love them, and will own one, but with work and school, it's just not realistic right now (but I'd take the risk if the right one popped up).

I've recently come to the conclusion that I actually really don't like working on cars myself, so I'd rather not take the dive into BMW territory until I have a paycheck big enough to cover a good German car technician.

In related news, the E21 will likely be on the market very soon.

Quote from: The Pirate on September 22, 2009, 10:02:53 PM
Honestly, for as much as I kvetch about my Proteg? on here, it's a fucking fantastic car.  The more I drive other cars, the more I like this one.  But it's absolutely terrible with a foot of snow on the ground (likely not an issue for you), and tire selection isn't the greatest.  

The FS-DE isn't the most stout motor, but change the oil regularly and don't be an idiot (WOT on a cold engine, etc.), and you'll be fine.

Definitely test drive one.  It's also a pretty easy car to work on.  Not quite as easy as my Civic was, but very close.  In your situation, I can't say that I'd pick one over a Miata, but it's a very good car.

Like I said before, Miata meets 3-series meets poverty.

I'll keep them in mind if all else fails or my budget isn't as big as I'm hoping, but a Protege isn't going to be top of my list. I've driven one  and you're right, they're peppy little fun cars, but something about it just didn't do it for me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Minpin on September 22, 2009, 10:05:35 PM
I searched in a two hundred mile radius. It's not too far from ya.

I'll be in Atlanta this weekend, I'll give you a life.  :lol:

edit: lift i mean.

Maybe if I can talk them down a bit my dad would consider it, but even still, there's next to no trunk space in that thing.

On the other hand... mid-engine... :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:06:27 PM
My Ohio dad bought a Pennsylvania car 180 miles away from home (with my help, of course). Make it happen.

Actually... I have a friend who lives about an hour from that MR2. :mask:

the Teuton

It sounds like you live close enough to home that trunk space really shouldn't be much of an issue. And your Accord isn't what I'd call a particularly space efficient vehicle, either.

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
Maybe if I can talk them down a bit my dad would consider it, but even still, there's next to no trunk space in that thing.

On the other hand... mid-engine... :lol:

Just tell your dad it's a Toyota, it has no guts or glory.  :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:08:04 PM
I've recently come to the conclusion that I actually really don't like working on cars myself, so I'd rather not take the dive into BMW territory until I have a paycheck big enough to cover a good German car technician.

Probably a wise decision, then.

QuoteI'll keep them in mind if all else fails or my budget isn't as big as I'm hoping, but a Protege isn't going to be top of my list. I've driven one  and you're right, they're peppy little fun cars, but something about it just didn't do it for me.

Fair enough.  I didn't realize you've driven one before. 

Here's a thought - EP3 Civic Si.  It's not the best looking car out there, but they are pretty cool. 

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:14:52 PM
It sounds like you live close enough to home that trunk space really shouldn't be much of an issue. And your Accord isn't what I'd call a particularly space efficient vehicle, either.

What are you talking about? I packed my entire life into my tC. That includes a 32" TV, two computers, two weeks worth of clothes, all my personal belongings, speakers, printer, camera, three suitcases, sheets, towels, other toiletries, and a shit ton of other crap. And my mother in the passenger seat.

No one needs a huge ass vehicle unless you are towing.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:14:52 PM

You clearly have never owned my Accord. Sure, it's not a hatchback, but the trunk is pretty big and the back seat (while hard to access) does provide plenty of room itself. Not to mention it's a fucking Hummer compared to the MR2.

And two people could take a weekend trip in a Miata. I'm not sure they could in an MR2.

Still... mid-engine...

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:17:48 PM
You clearly have never owned my Accord. Sure, it's not a hatchback, but the trunk is pretty big and the back seat (while hard to access) does provide plenty of room itself. Not to mention it's a fucking Hummer compared to the MR2.

And two people could take a weekend trip in a Miata. I'm not sure they could in an MR2.

Still... mid-engine...

There is exactly one time when I wish I had a truck. Tailgating. Every other time? Fuuuuuuck that.

MR2, I am sure your friends have bigger cars.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:17:48 PM

Still... mid-engine...

I have a brother with THE EXACT SAME DAMN CAR. It's small, spacewise, at least compared to my Impreza.

Quote from: Minpin on September 22, 2009, 10:17:02 PM
What are you talking about? I packed my entire life into my tC. That includes a 32" TV, two computers, two weeks worth of clothes, all my personal belongings, speakers, printer, camera, three suitcases, sheets, towels, other toiletries, and a shit ton of other crap. And my mother in the passenger seat.

No one needs a huge ass vehicle unless you are towing.

Either I pack like a girl or a car that small couldn't do it for me. I'm gonna have to call the parents and rent a car to get the hell out of here when I graduate next school year. My Saturn is tiny. Loved, but tiny.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:20:16 PM
I have a brother with THE EXACT SAME DAMN CAR. It's small, spacewise, at least compared to my Impreza.

Either I pack like a girl or a car that small couldn't do it for me. I'm gonna have to call the parents and rent a car to get the hell out of here when I graduate next school year. My Saturn is tiny. Loved, but tiny.

My mom is no joke, the master packer. The TV really put it over the edge since the box alone is as wide as the car. Also, half my trunk is taken up by my subs and amp. You just really don't know how to pack mate. An Accord is plenty big enough. By far. It's got like twice the room of my car.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:20:16 PM

Well yeah, the cargo area is small compared to any decently sized hatchback, but the Accord is no worse than any mid-sized sedan except that the it can be hard to get big items in the back seat (the only time I couldn't get something back there was when I was trying to move my friend's mini-fridge).

Rich

The flight deck dashboard and think a pillars might ruin it....

Mr-2!
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

the Teuton

Quote from: Minpin on September 22, 2009, 10:22:54 PM
My mom is no joke, the master packer. The TV really put it over the edge since the box alone is as wide as the car. Also, half my trunk is taken up by my subs and amp. You just really don't know how to pack mate. An Accord is plenty big enough. By far. It's got like twice the room of my car.

Do you live in a furnished apartment?

I have (furniture that I brought) a desk, two desk chairs, a huge bookcase, a queen-size bed, a living room chair...and that's not even getting to all of my other crap here.

The wagon could fit my clothes, my computer, and just about everything else I'd need for Christmas break with some room to spare, but I can't imagine fitting my whole life in that thing.

Minpin

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:38:31 PM

I have (furniture that I brought) a desk, two desk chairs, a huge bookcase, a queen-size bed, a living room chair...and that's not even getting to all of my other crap here.

The wagon could fit my clothes, my computer, and just about everything else I'd need for Christmas break with some room to spare, but I can't imagine fitting my whole life in that thing.

I paid 100 dollars for the entire summer for a 5'x10' rental unit for big crap like that that doesn't need to be hauled back and forth. Think smart, teuts.

the Teuton

Quote from: Minpin on September 22, 2009, 10:40:12 PM
I paid 100 dollars for the entire summer for a 5'x10' rental unit for big crap like that that doesn't need to be hauled back and forth. Think smart, teuts.

I live here all summer, remember?

But that does make sense, it would seem.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:38:31 PM

Well obviously the tC can't fit all that, but neither can the Impreza (nor an Expedition), so it's a null point for this discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:42:28 PM
Well obviously the tC can't fit all that, but neither can the Impreza, so it's a null point for this discussion.

Which means that a small-ass car shouldn't be a problem.  Back on-topic: Mister 2 is calling...

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on September 22, 2009, 10:43:50 PM
Which means that a small-ass car shouldn't be a problem.  Back on-topic: Mister 2 is calling...

lolzorz. Maybe I should actually confirm that the car is totaled before I start calling a dealership in Florida...

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 22, 2009, 10:44:45 PM
lolzorz. Maybe I should actually confirm that the car is totaled before I start calling a dealership in Florida...

It's a private seller.