World's Best Car

Started by SVT666, October 05, 2009, 12:07:24 PM

redbloodedamerican

2000 Toyota Camry

*****dodges eggs and molotovs******

Going strong at 171000 with no major repairs and has never totaled itself like certain other cars have. I used to want an S class until I had this car. Now I'm like, Fuck? Why would I want anything else?

the Teuton

I thought you had a Saturn.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: redbloodedamerican on October 10, 2009, 11:14:15 PM
2000 Toyota Camry

*****dodges eggs and molotovs******

Going strong at 171000 with no major repairs and has never totaled itself like certain other cars have. I used to want an S class until I had this car. Now I'm like, Fuck? Why would I want anything else?
Is this a new troll persona? :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

redbloodedamerican

I never had a Saturn Ion. There was a Saturn Ion at Lord Fairfax that was plastered with anti abortion stickers that I was going to photograph and post as RBA's car, but I never got around to it.

I've had:

A 1999 Plymouth Breeze whose engine mount kept breaking. It couldn't take West Virginia hollows.

A 1996 Toyota Camry whose transmission went out 8 months after buying it (The scumbag who sold it was a dealer posing as a private party so lemon laws wouldn't apply. I want to burn his house down)

A 2000 Camry that's been completely perfect.

eightballsidepocket

Built like a tank; Chevy drivetrain, heavy gauge sheetmetal, runs forever, never looks too old or too new.

I present the Checker Marathon!!!
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Of Course I have An Agenda!
(Who Doesn't?)

"Nothing should be said anonymously behind a P.C., that can't be respectfully said in person"

Laconian

Quote from: eightballsidepocket on October 12, 2009, 02:33:52 PM
Built like a tank; Chevy drivetrain, heavy gauge sheetmetal, runs forever, never looks too old or too new.

I present the Checker Marathon!!!

I bet the IIHS can still stuff it onto two dimensional plane in a 35mph test.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Sigma Projects

RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 08, 2009, 03:14:09 PM
I am considering one of those little enlosed bazooka ones... but not for the Swift.

I got a 12" that fills half a box you might wanna look into.
Or just get a single box from wallyworld!
Will

Vinsanity

Quote from: NomisR on October 05, 2009, 03:39:24 PM

Because it can travel into the future and the past.

hey wait, what freeway is this from? that doesn't look like any of the 55-fwy interchanges I can think of...

BENZ BOY15

Mercedes SLS

Quote from: Sigma Projects on October 12, 2009, 09:03:05 PM
lol the more I look at the more I laugh, good one :lol:

haha, me too.

93JC

Way to resurrect a thread from the dead.

the Teuton

Honestly, the Porsche Panamera would be a good contender for world's most perfect car. Other than subjective looks and a steep price, it does nothing wrong.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on August 13, 2011, 01:15:04 AM
Honestly, the Porsche Panamera would be a good contender for world's most perfect car. Other than subjective looks and a steep price, it does nothing wrong.
It offends my eyes.  That's what it does wrong.

Raza

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20116.msg1174414#msg1174414 date=1254771372
The 911 sums up humanity.  It's been in production for quite a while, it's had minimal, evolutionary changes.  It's a stubborn car, sticking with a less than ideal setup (rear engine and all), it's selfish, but doesn't want to look like it (four seats, but not really), and is highly adaptable; road racing, rally racing, leisurely drives, et al. 

Man, two years later and I'm still right. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on October 05, 2009, 12:07:24 PM
Scenario:

We are visited by aliens.  You are hand picked by the aliens to answer questions about Earth.  They ask you to point to the best car the world has ever had to offer, what would you pick?  I leave the criteria for your decision up to you.  You can pick whatever you want, but you have to provide your reasons why.
Model T or (I can't believe I'm writing this) the original VW beetle.  Both were made for the masses and did exactly what was asked of them with an absolute minimum of fuss.  Both were simple to repair and about as hard to kill as a cockroach.  Both could be configured or modified to perform practically any task.  Both were absolutely perfect for their times and changed the world of transportation. 

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20116.msg1563294#msg1563294 date=1313223310
Man, two years later and I'm still right. 

No, two years later and you are still wrong.  Go ahead and carry more than 2 people in your 911.  Go take it off of pavement.  Go haul a real load with one.  Ignore maintenance and see how long it runs. 

Nope, the 911 is a nice car in it's niche (upper end sports car).  As an overall versatile transportation device, it has too many significant shortcomings.

SVT666

After 2 years I finally have an answer.  The BMW 3 Series.  It has been one of the best handling, most comfortable, stylish, relatively affordable, and consistent cars we have ever had.  It's an image car, but it's also an enthusiast's car.  It can seat 4 people in comfort and take their luggage.  Most importantly it's available in a myriad of combinations from a 4 door 4 pot, to an AWD wagon, to a convertible, and a 400+hp balls to the wall performance machine.

68_427

Four decent sized people won't be than comfortable in a 3 series.  It's a compact car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on August 15, 2011, 08:31:56 AM
After 2 years I finally have an answer.  The BMW 3 Series.  It has been one of the best handling, most comfortable, stylish, relatively affordable, and consistent cars we have ever had.  It's an image car, but it's also an enthusiast's car.  It can seat 4 people in comfort and take their luggage.  Most importantly it's available in a myriad of combinations from a 4 door 4 pot, to an AWD wagon, to a convertible, and a 400+hp balls to the wall performance machine.

I agree. I was reading Autoblog the other day and people were saying the 3 series is boring and the Sonata and new Camry are more exciting. It's obvious that they have never driven a 3er.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/14/2012-bmw-3-series-spied-sans-all-camouflage/

Quote from: 68_427 on August 15, 2011, 08:37:47 AM
Four decent sized people won't be than comfortable in a 3 series.  It's a compact car.

I'm 6'2 and can fit in the backseat fairly comfortably behind my dad who is 6'0. :huh:

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 15, 2011, 09:16:15 AM
I agree. I was reading Autoblog the other day and people were saying the 3 series is boring and the Sonata and new Camry are more exciting. It's obvious that they have never driven a 3er.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/14/2012-bmw-3-series-spied-sans-all-camouflage/

I'm 6'2 and can fit in the backseat fairly comfortably behind my dad who is 6'0. :huh:

Either your dad's is a little roomier or my dad sits way far back, but my knees were in the back of his seat in a 328xi.
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on August 15, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
Either your dad's is a little roomier or my dad sits way far back, but my knees were in the back of his seat in a 328xi.

I just rest my knees on the sides of the seat.

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 15, 2011, 09:32:30 AM
I just rest my knees on the sides of the seat.

Do not want.  It wouldn't be so bad if the backs of the seats were soft-ish, but it sucks with alot of cars have plastic or other hard materials on the backs of seats.  Unless there's decent legroom then I don't care I guess.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 15, 2011, 07:53:26 AM
Ignore maintenance and see how long it runs. 

Ignore maintenance on any car and see how long it runs.

The question wasn't what car can do everything.  It's asking what the best car is.  If your criteria is passenger space, then say Toyota Sienna.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 15, 2011, 08:37:47 AM

Yeah, they will.  3 series and my Jetta are basically the exact same size inside and out, and it seats four adults fine.  No, you can't stretch out and sit by the fire in the back, but it's more than fine for a medium length (2-4 hours) trip.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Shit, I just realized I made a grammatical/spelling/typing error.  That pisses me off.
'racecar is die'
no

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20116.msg1564365#msg1564365 date=1313423027
Ignore maintenance on any car and see how long it runs.

The question wasn't what car can do everything.  It's asking what the best car is.  If your criteria is passenger space, then say Toyota Sienna.

The point is some cars are much more maintenance sensative than others. 

The question is "Best Car"  not best two seater sports car.  My criteria is the ability to do a variety of things.  Sure you can find a quicker car, a larger car, one that seats more, one that costs more, one that costs less, ones that had less impact on the automobile industry and society. But judge them an a multitude of factors and the 911 is lacking.

Raza

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 15, 2011, 10:02:01 AM

The question is "Best Car"  not best two seater sports car.  My criteria is the ability to do a variety of things.  Sure you can find a quicker car, a larger car, one that seats more, one that costs more, one that costs less, ones that had less impact on the automobile industry and society. But judge them an a multitude of factors and the 911 is lacking.

It's a four seater GT!

And I can see why you disagree, but per the original premise, the decision criteria are up to me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 15, 2011, 10:02:01 AM

Nah, I think Raza has it right. 

The model T did only what others did before it - yes, it was sold to the masses like never before, but as a car, it was a car.  An exceptionally ugly car at that.  As a symbol, it demonstrated Americas industrial might, but did little more.  Yeah, a Model T could carry four people, but after a 10 minute ride in a 1926 Chevy, I can safely say I'd rather cram my 6'3" 205lb frame in the back of a 911 than spend a minute more in any really old car unless it's on the silkiest of pavement.

The best doesn't have to be the first.  Blues existed for some time, but Led Zeppelin blew the lid off of them and made them memorable to this day.  The best has to do it right.  The best has to have parallels with society (As Raza pointed out, the 911 does, the Model T does not) it has to have passion (the 911 does, the Model T does not) it has to be versatile (both are, in different ways.  No, you couldn't haul bricks in a 911, but you couldn't take a sharp corner at more than 15MPH in a Model T) It has to span generations, to prove it's durability as a vehicle and it's place in our hearts (no one under the age of 40, save for a select few enthusiasts, cares or even knows about the 911) but every kid knows about the 911, and could probably identify a 1974 911 without ever seeing one before. 

The Model T was the start of the modern automobile era, but that in no way makes it a good car. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550